Beendare 03-Oct-15
Buck Watcher 03-Oct-15
TD 03-Oct-15
steeler 03-Oct-15
steeler 03-Oct-15
Sage of the Sage2 04-Oct-15
Beendare 04-Oct-15
01-Oct-15
After hunting in grizzly country in Wyoming I have become intrigued by the big autoloader/ big bore revolver debate. Not even considering spray.....which many will consider the best option....where do you stand on this topic?

I am pretty much a gun novice when it comes to all of the details that gun lovers know....I just like to shoot them and don't care about all the rest. For this reason...I like to hear the opinions of others that are much more versed than I.

I know that many will say that most people won't be able to even get a handgun drawn in an attack. But.....lets assume you do. I know many believe they would rather be able to pump 15 10 mm rounds into an animal versus 6 .44 magnums. What do you think?

01-Oct-15
If a pistol is what you want..."Go Big or Go Home " for me....

Love my SW 2 3/4" .460 ES Snubnose with brass "punch bullets".Can plink with .45 or shoot .454/.460 for bear protection.

I also am intrigued with the 4" .454 Ruger if you can find one.Get the Hogue grips they really turn these big bores into kitty cats

.45 + P would also be good runnning a 300 gr @ 900 fps+

Just don't overlook the importance of the bullet.The punch bullets are machined from brass and win every penetration test hands down.They are only legal because the have a small hole in the meplat that classifies it as a "hollow point".

You can shoot these things through cinder block and reload them!

Ballistically I want to be at a mininum of 300 gr @ 900 fps+ which you can get in alot of more subdued loads than the .460/.454

My snubbie runs 325gr @1250.Every 1" less of barrell withh decrease your FPS about 50-75 fps.Greater thn 4" barrels get a little less nimble for close work..:)

Garrett Cartridge has some souped up .44 loads but my reading has framed a minimal formula of .45 X 300gr X 900fps+ punch bullet as my minimum.

01-Oct-15
leave the big bores alone, well placed shots is all you need. Take any handgun caliber 9mm and up and you will be fine. Personally I carry a Glock 19 just for the black bears (not that I ever to worried about the bears really attacking) but I'm proficient enough with my weapon to have full faith and confidence that I can get off a killing shot to defend myself from any animal. Now admittedly I carry Hornday Critical Duty 9mm which will have no problem going through the skull of a grizzly

01-Oct-15
Just to be clear....I carry bear spray but I plan to carry a side arm the next time I go simply for 2 legged protection or the slim chance of a bear conflict in a tent. I think a handgun is probably borderline poor defense from a bear attack so I would probably pack whatever my CCW open with the hottest, heaviest best penetrating loads for that particular caliber. Sorry...I don't know all of the lingo on ammo.

01-Oct-15
Last time I was in Alaska I had some down time and was reading a article on bears and carrying a handgun for defense.It basically said once the grizzly attack is initiated a handgun was not going to stop a bear.You were going to wound the bear and possible kill the bear at a later date.The average outdoorsmen should carry a shotgun with slugs.I believe it even said that no one at that time has lived defending them selves with a handgun. We arrived the day after a warden had to put down a young brown bear at campground.He had to shoot the bear 12 times.He was using a 44mag..Who knows what load he had but I don't think it mattered much.

01-Oct-15
We carried spray in Montana this year. A large percentage of residents we ran into claimed to have seen a griz or very fresh sign recently. I am not sure whether these were supposed to be scare tactics or not, but I'm pretty sure some of them were legit, although we saw none.

Spray is probably the easiest method to carry as well as effective... if you don't have a nice windy day. I am honestly considering a 10mm for my next gun, although I don't know when that will be. You will probably get a lot more expert responses than mine, because I surely am not one, but I just consider packing one of those large big-bore pistols to be a chore all in itself when hiking the woods. A 9mm just doesn't seem to be much of a load to me, although I'm not sure how charged-up they can be hand loaded.

In the end, chances are slim, like Pat mentioned, but if there is a chance I might see Candice Swanepoel skinny dipping, then THERE IS A CHANCE. Sorry Pat, Gisele can be on the list but she isn't on top.

01-Oct-15
Glock 20 10 mm

Holds a lot of ammo. Light and glocks are reliable

01-Oct-15
"If you're really worried about grizz get a defensive shotgun that you carry during the packing process."

Bringing a handgun for a grizz attack is like bringing a toothbrush to a gunfight. If you are bringing the gun to give yourself a quick clean end that is a different story.

01-Oct-15
I agree with Pat and a short barreled shotgun with slugs would be the way I would go. I shoot some big bore handguns and when given time I am very accurate but under a stressful situation I would rather have a shotgun. Shawn

01-Oct-15
Why slugs instead of 00buckshot?

01-Oct-15
I was just in wy. All of the guides carried 44 mags or long colts, single action, with cast bullets. Most carried spray too. I carried spray because they asked me to carry that instead of a gun.

01-Oct-15
to me an semi-auto of any variety is a joke for sure....I have shot a ton of deer with .44 mag and that doesn't give me a good feeling about shooting a big griz with one....no matter the bullet.

01-Oct-15
If you Google handgun and grizzly there are a number of examples of people shooting and killing grizzlies with a handgun.

The question is was it necessary but that's an entirely different debate.

So yes a handgun does work but I night be more inclined to use a shotgun.

All I know is if you have to be prepared for lots of paperwork and hearings. You may rather be eaten by that bear.

Hopefully this never has to happen.

01-Oct-15
"If you Google handgun and grizzly there are a number of examples of people shooting and killing grizzlies with a handgun."

You can kill a bear with a .22 if you hit it in the right spot, but the odds aren't in your favor.

"All I know is if you have to be prepared for lots of paperwork and hearings. You may rather be eaten by that bear."

Grizzlys bluff charge. It's what they do. I had a wildlife biology professor that said you had better have claw marks or tooth marks on you if you shoot a grizzly.

01-Oct-15
I agree with Pat. Take a shotgun if your going into a critical situation like tracking a wounded bear or even going back to a deer kill site.

That said, I do carry my 44 while bowhunting Kodiak. I've never had to use it in over 30 years of hunts there. I use a Double D holster and really don't even notice the hand gun.

01-Oct-15
01-Oct-15
That story from Bullelk is ridiculous. Can't even imagine.

Food for thought.

Truth is take whatever you can get out quickly and hail mary at a charging bear.

01-Oct-15

01-Oct-15
"I forgot to add that I'm probably the only person on this discussion who has actually been attacked by a grizz. it took 3 seconds for the bear to reach us after it committed to a full blown charge."

Care to give details?

01-Oct-15
so much for photobucket

01-Oct-15
10mm Glock with hardcast bullets.

01-Oct-15
To say that a handgun can't kill a bear is insane! A 9mm, .40 cal, or .45 will put a hole where you hit it at minimum. A hole through the hear, lungs, jugular, carotid artery or brain will kill the bear, period. An experienced handgun shooter, should be able to draw aim and shoot faster than a bear can charge you. I'm for the semi-auto as I'd like to get 3-4 shots into the fur for good measure.

01-Oct-15
You can buy into the 'chances are it will never happen, so you don't need to carry a handgun' advice if you like. You can also ride without a helmet, disable your airbags, climb and hunt with no harness, and do a myriad other things that you are statistically unlikely to get hurt doing...over any given 10 day period. The rub comes when you put enough 10-day hunts together and eventually the odds betray you on a given day. I've known plenty of people who didn't or don't carry a firearm in grizzly country and they have had nary a scratch. That fact means nothing when a 500+ pound silvertip or brownie is scheduled to bump into YOU. A hunter was recently mauled by a sow (w/cubs) in the Soldotna area. He and his partner hammered some rounds into her during the attack and she ran off...found dead a day or two later by troopers. The odds are long...but you ignore them at your own risk...and maybe that of your family and others who care.

Accuracy trumps energy in a handgun almost every time. The only type of shot certain to stop a bear immediately is a brain or spinal (CNS) hit. Anything else may kill in time, or might serve to deter attack immediately. A bear hit straight on in the chest at 20 yards or less by a .460 or .500 isn't going to die before tattooing your face and leaving you in need of a trauma team. I chuckle at the thoughts of some who believe they can get off 6+ rounds accurately on an incoming bear. 2...maybe 3...accurate shots is realistic at attack ranges. At 20 yards or less almost any typical bear-defense handgun has enough punch to penetrate a skull or spine. Get a cow skull and try it. You simply don't need maximum-power loads to do the job. You do need a good hardcast projectile with a wider meplat and enough energy to break bones. I happen to like the .44 mag for choice of ammo, light carry (329PD), dependability, and manageable recoil for myself.

A month ago I had a big bear right outside my tent at 10 am. Had that bear pushed the issue, my can of spray would have meant nothing inside the tent...at least until the bear and I were embracing. I'm in grizzly country every August/September for up to 3 weeks. The spray can is optional...the handgun is mandatory.

01-Oct-15
You may not get that many shots off at a charging bear. But a good many of the accounts I've read the handgun was used effectively WHILE the victim was being mauled. One hand doing what they can to fend off the attack and the gun in the other.

The shotgun or rifle is much more effective, but less likely to be carried everywhere. The handgun, less effective but goes with you even on nature trips to the TP minefield. I like Bob's solution.

Coolest rig I've seen is Steve H and his .458 SOCOM AR. Been doing a bunch of research on it since seeing his here. That is one bad azz short range weapon.

01-Oct-15
I carry a Ruger in 45LC loaded up to 454 specs. A shotgun, 45-70 lever gun or the AR in .458 SOCOM would be better in the moment, but when I weigh the odds of needing to use it with the ease of carry and effectiveness, the hand gun wins out. The gun I have on me is better than the one I leave at camp.

Since I have ran into Gisele skinny dipping (didn't even know that she and Kate Upton were friends no less camping buddies), I figure the odds are really bad that I'll also get attacked by a griz.

01-Oct-15
Glunt, can I go hunting with you ? I'll carry your pack ! :)

01-Oct-15
I carry a 12 gauge in grizzly country if possible, but have never been hunting in grizzly country, so I'm not sure what I would do if I got the chance. Probably would just carry my 9mm sidearm.

When I lived in AK the joke was that the only good a handgun will do you in a grizzly attack is to shoot your buddy in the knee so you can out run him.

I worked for an AK Wildlife Refuge for a bit in the 90's and they required (at that time anyway) any party working in the back country must carry a 12 gauge with 1oz slugs. We did and had it drawn on moose on more than one occasion (never fired though), and had a negative bear encounter.

My boss at the refuge had a story where his partner was crossing a river when he saw a bear start after his partner and just before the bear reached her he unloaded on it. Later they found out the bear was injured (jaw injury) prior to the attack. The bear backed off, went away, and they found it dead in their camp when they returned. Several shots landed and a couple had glanced off the bear's skull.

We can all find a "bear story" to back up whatever we choose to do/carry in bear country, but this one still gives me the hebegeebees and makes me lean shotgun.

01-Oct-15
Two young men I know were charged by a grizz. sow with Cubs in Mt.They got her stopped at 10 yds.using bear spray.They said she covered 50 yds.in nothing flat.very lucky Lewis

01-Oct-15
i read a report from the alaska game department a few years ago and they found that bear spray is much more effective in an attack than a handgun. the problem with shooting a griz is they bleed out so slowly no matter how good the shot through the vitals they will tear you up before they die. relying on a brain shot is too risky. i wish i remembered where i read the report so i could post the link.

01-Oct-15
A 44 magnum with a 240 grain hard cast bullet of a brinell hardness of 15 to 18, setting on top of 22 grains of 2400 or, 24 grains of H110, will kill anything on this earth at the ranges you'd shoot in self defense. And do it really well. I'd feel even better with the 45 long colt loaded hot. I am not sure you even have to hit it with either one. The muzzle blast would be indescribably fierce on the front end of it. As it is pretty dang fierce beside the muzzle.

A 454, 460, or 500 is even better medicine. But, then you start to get into the recoil so bad, for some people it could be detrimental. What ever you use, you should choose it with the notion that there is a decent chance you will be using it while the bear is on you. It should be compact enough to one hand maneuver and shoot. And, it should hold the power to kill. A 10 mm is far short of any revolver mentioned here but, is better than nothing. A 357 mag, 9mm ,or 45ACP will serve the mindset of the carrier better than it will kill a bear. But, all are better options than nothing.

Just become efficient with it and PRACTICE with it. When watching TV, set round with it and fondle it EVERY night. Become accustomed to it like a glove. Shoot it A LOT. One handed too. Your life may VERY well depend on it. While you may miss and not stop the bear, if you can shoot it when it is chewing on you, that is better than a pile of remains. And, when those big hammers start barking, you will get their attention. Especially when they start biting. God Bless

01-Oct-15
I use a Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan" 44 Mag. with Garrett Super hard cast Hammerheads.

01-Oct-15
So many opinions...but so few actuals its hard to make a case for anything particular.

I'm putting together a database on another website of this very issue. Opinions/actual attacks are all over the place on this topic.

The two constants; 1. These attacks happen very fast...many in 2-3 seconds- as they are surprise close range encounters.

2. to say the odds are low of an attack is totally true...for my wife! Myself on the other hand cruising around regularly in bear country is another matter. You won't get struck by lightning when you stay home...but hunting mtn tops is a whole different set of odds!Be prepared.

The wildlife folks don't want these bears shot and go out of their way to push the spray. I was in ak where an outward bound camp sprayed a problem bear...and later the bear came back and didn't hesitate mauling a kid.

Ammo; Its a given to use hardcast bullets as you want that bullet to keep on going until it hits CNS. One of the better commentaries on hardcast is on the buffalo bore site in the FAQ.

Be advised, these hardcast don't always shoot well in some weapons- Glocks with the hexagonal barrel and the old Marlin lever guns are examples. The 10mm Glock guys are rebarreling and putting in a heavier spring.

Not all .44s are the same. The fine S&W 329PD is only 25 ounces- a dream to carry...but recoil is significant. They have a hammer lock that can vibrate closed on you at exactly the wrong time...and page 12 of the owners man notes that the last couple bullets in the cylinder can slide forward inhibiting the cylinder spinning..not good.

My buddy solved these issues with handloads- extra crimp, and removing the hammer lock- all new gen S&W revolver have this lock [left side of frame at hammer]

.44, 10mm, 460 rowland or any of the big 454 Casuls and up.......No matter what you choose, make sure you can get a couple good accurate shots off very quickly...in other words- Practice! My thread with much more info and links to many bear attacks is over on the AT western forum.

01-Oct-15

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
I might never need it and I don't care what anyone else does but after watching the biggest griz I've ever seen walk past me at about 50 yards in WY I'll never hunt in some places without my 44 mag!!

01-Oct-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Mark, I think you're big enough to out wrestle any ol' grizz. But if not...

02-Oct-15
Never had my revolver not go bang whenever I pulled the trigger. I can't say the same for the autoloaders I've owned. Mark me down to be packing a good old fashioned 6 shooter!

02-Oct-15
I have a couple of thoughts:

1) Bears often bluff charge, so legitimate self defense shooting usually starts around 10 yards or so. Do folks really think they are going to get 3-5 shots in .75 seconds if a bear is undeterred by the first shot?

2) Once upon a time, we got stuck in the airport in Anchorage with the head of the Kodiak guide's association, and he educated us on the differences between brown and black bears. Browns apparently have a much slower hear rate than blacks and tend to die much more slowly as a result. It occurred to me the focus should be on stopping a charge rather than killing the bear. You can make a lethal shot on a brownie and it can still have plenty of time to kill you - and probably your hunting partner - before it dies. With some of the light calibers being mentioned above, you would basically need to penetrate the brain to reliably stop a bear. Are folks being honest with themselves that they are good enough shots under duress that they can consistently hit a bouncing grapefruit coming at you at 30 mph with a handgun?

My perspective is that if I have to shoot a bear, I want a bullet that stands a chance to break the pelvis or rear leg if I miss the head. I carry a .475 linebaugh (420 grs. at 1,350 fps, just short of a 1 oz. shotgun slug ballistically) while on Kodiak. A number of years ago we had a Kodiak brownie lope ~3/4 mile to us and briefly circle us at 70 yards - and I felt under-gunned.

02-Oct-15
I carry a Ruger .454 some days, other days I do not.

Interesting reading Bruce.

Good luck, Robb

02-Oct-15

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
When I want constant carry and agility.

02-Oct-15

When I want potent muscle and knockdown.

02-Oct-15
Easy to any US destination. Locked hard case. Declare it at check-in. No big deal.

Canada means no handguns period.

02-Oct-15
Kevin, Is that cartridge holder from Diamond D? Looks like the one I just ordered.

02-Oct-15
KJC...

It's a Galco unit. I had a custom butt cuff and sling made after that picture, so the Galco never saw action. I need to get it listed and sold, lol.

02-Oct-15
Send your handgun from your FFL to a FFL at your destination if your going to Alaska from the lower 48.

02-Oct-15
jdee,

You can do that for sure, but it's really not necessary. I put my handgun in its original plastic case and lock it. Then it goes in my large soft duffel. At the airport the gun is declared and all that's needed is a signed form noting the gun is unloaded. It flies with no issues (so does ammo) and I have it in my possession as soon as I arrive in AK.

02-Oct-15
Double action revolver in 44, 454, or S&W 500. Garret cartridges makes a killer 44 mag load. I would feel very comfortable walking around bear country with my 629 loaded with some Garrett loads. You need to practice a lot before you go with a pistol into bear country, the pucker factor of a charge will certainly shake the most accurate shooter. Love flocks but in a charge I would want to make certain that there was no chance or a jam and the revolver is met reliable. Good luck.

02-Oct-15
Interesting to say the least. I bought a .44 Magnum S&W cheap years ago and sold it a few days later for a nice profit. I wish I still had it. I will own a big bore pistol before my next Wyoming trip. My wife and I are taking a lot more interest in handguns lately. She has always loved guns but she recently obtained a CCDWP and she is currently shopping for another pistol. Her interest has actually increased mine too.

02-Oct-15
What caliber is that guide gun Kevin? 45-70 or 450 Marlin?

02-Oct-15
nowheels,

It's a .45-70 customized by Wild West Guns and will also shoot .457 Wild West rounds. Superb quickness, power and accuracy.

02-Oct-15
Kevin, when I posted about sending a handgun I was referring to driving to AK not flying. I agree with you if flying I would do it just like you explained.

02-Oct-15
When i was in Alaska and hunting in Brownie counrty I was packin a S&W 629 loaded with solids, I had zero fear of bears, than we came upon fresh tracks in the trail the size of dinner plates, only time in my life I felt a 44 mag was not even close to big enough!

02-Oct-15
jdee...absolutely when driving! Good thoughts.

02-Oct-15
Bowfreak, I picked up a Judge in 45LC with a 4" barrel and a light weight Titanium frame. It also fires the 2 3/4" 410 loads. Have never seen the 4" barrel on another model. This gun really likes the Hornady Lever Evolution Ammo. A 220 gr. load at 1000+ fps. From what I just read from the Alaskan guys who know, this might not be enough gun. I do like the lite weight, and the ability to shoot some bird shot. I too carried bear spray when I hunted WY. The Bears in the lower 48 have little fear of people. I however, was often worried about the bears.

LaGriz

02-Oct-15
Kevins pistol is the S&W 329PD I mentioned that problems have been reported with the hammer lock [right under the cylinder release in the pic]

and can have issues with bullets sliding forward in the case

02-Oct-15
Bullets 'jumping crimp' are an anomaly related to harder/faster recoil typical with super-magnum loads. Higher velocities combined with light guns = increased recoil. That's one reason I shoot a 250 gr hardcast instead of going for 300+ gr weights and max velocities. All the data I can find along with my own experiences shows no issues with crimp jump in these loads, yet they are powerful enough to bust the skull or spine of any bear at 20 yards and closer.

02-Oct-15
LaGriz, I'm looking at the Taurus 444 ultralight in .44 mag. It has a 4 inch barrel and weighs 28.3 ounces. just waiting for my permit to come through.

02-Oct-15
My .02. . .

I have never had to deal with this, but have thought about it. . .

If I was dead set on carrying a firearm for bear defense, and didn't want to carry a shotgun or short rifle like above. . .

I would get a .45 auto, use +P ammo in some configuration. And I'd use a gun with the highest magazine capacity I could find

I've shot the big bore wheelguns, and know for a fact that I have about 1 chance in 1000 (probably less) of stopping a bear charge with any type of pistol. It just isn't going to happen for me.

So my theory is to get an adequate size, with plenty of rounds in the mag, to hopefully be able to kill it while it's on me. Use spray first, and the gun only if it's actually mauling me.

I applaud the guys who think they can stop one with a pistol. But my pistol-accuracy reality is that if it comes to stopping a charge with a pistol of any type. . . I'm gonna get mauled.

I'd be a lot more confident with a short shotgun or rifle. And like Matt said above, if I miss the head, hopefully with a shotgun or rifle I can still anchor the bear, or turn the charge with the higher powered rifle or shotgun

I believe I'd carry spray to hopefully avert any charge, and have an auto on my belt for last ditch while actually being mauled if the spray fails

Bake

02-Oct-15
I don't live and breath bowhunting like a lot here. I really enjoy it but, I enjoy other tings just as well. I spend far more time shooting firearms of many makes and models, than any bow I have ever owned. I buy 2,000 to 3,000 44 mag bullets alone/year. Load and shoot them. While I am no marksman, I'll gamble my life to a revolver that feels and shoot's like an old friend, any day versus a slung over the shoulder shot gun or, a can of pepper spray. Just my choice.

I am really surprised though with the number of guys that feel a revolver is a better choice, that choose a Smith and Wesson over a Ruger Super RedHawk. There is a reason that loading manuals differentiate Ruger only loads. They are much heavier built and will take pressures that leaves the Smith and Wesson models in pieces.

FWIW, the hard cast bullets sized .001 over the bore will drive a tack in any revolver with decent rifling. A lot of these manufactured bullets contain gas checks too. So, leading isn't going to be a problem with those that do, even if they are undersized. If properly sized, they will be just as accurate and consistent as any jacketed bullet. Except they will fly faster and, hit harder than any jacketed bullet. And those Garret loads are good'er ones. God Bless

02-Oct-15
I have had the opportunity to know two different Alaska guides. One is a hunting guide, the other a fishing guide. I also have a good friend who married a girl from Alaska who's parents are gold miners.

Anyway, to make a long story short, each of those three have been charged numerous times. All of them carry shotguns. The hunting guide carries a short double barrel with slugs. Both the other guys carry Beneli autos with slugs in the magazine and either bird seed or #8 shot in the chamber to deter a bear that they think is not bluffing. Apparently bird seed in the face at 10 yards combined with the noise of the shot usually turns them without permanent damage.

02-Oct-15
Not sure why hunters in the US never equate a bear charge to a dangerous game charge in Africa? For more then a hundred years the norm has been huge double rifles to stop these animals. There has been no movement towards semi-auto rifles at all. In a charge you end up with 1 or 2 aimed shots if your lucky. Make them as large and powerful as possible. Id start at .454 and work from there. 360-400grn cast bullets would be felt by any critter, or a good controlled expansion hollow point from a handgun with more then 20ga power.

A 10mm tops out aroud 775 ft/lbs per round. 454 arond 1925 ft/lbs. So theoretically you can get 11625 ft/lbs from 15rds of 10mm. Or 11550 ft/lbs from 6 454 rds, then step up to 14130 ft/lbs from 5 .460 rounds and finally 15160 ft/lbs from 5 .500 rounds.

Id go with worst case. 1 round, surprised and rushed. Id go with a 454 in a 4" barrel ruger, or your choice of frame with large hard cast bone breakers to penetrate deep.

My .02 worth.

02-Oct-15
I don't know about any one else but if I'm in griz country by myself and I'm bow hunting it would be pretty hard to carry my bow, pack, climb up and down steep canyons and be also carrying a shot gun. 44 mag for me. Now if I'm sitting somewhere looking for a griz to kill with a firearm I'm sure my 300 ultra mag would be with me.

02-Oct-15
I don't know about any one else but if I'm in griz country by myself and I'm bow hunting it would be pretty hard to carry my bow, pack, climb up and down steep canyons and be also carrying a shot gun. 44 mag for me. Now if I'm sitting somewhere looking for a griz to kill with a firearm I'm sure my 300 ultra mag would be with me.

02-Oct-15
maybe Im thinking of this wrong, but I assume you mean carrying while bowhunting? So with all respect to those saying carry a long gun, are you suggesting doing that, while carrying a bow and a daypack? There is no way you can drop your bow, unsling your rifle and fire during a close range encounter.

Up here(Alaska), the 10mm Glock seems to be gaining a strong foothold. I have two, one for concealed while in Anchorage and the other either on my hip or chest holster.

I just came off a 12 day float trip and my Glock was on me the whole time on a chest holster. The only issue was while wearing a life jacket obviously. But I didn't think the bears would swim in to get me. Plus we were swearing enough due to low water and pulling the raft to scare any away.

I am not a Glock fan by any means. Its ugly and feels like a brick, but its reliable and you can submerge it(been there), beat it, drop it and it still works and is relatively affordable.

02-Oct-15
Obviously the bigger the gun and its load, the better it will stop a bear. There is a very practical reason why bowhunters aren't going to be seen (often) toting a 5-7 shot pump 12 gauge, double rifle, .375 or up bolt, or even a .500 S&W wheeler. It's called WEIGHT and it will cause guns to be left at home or in camp. No gun is worth a fiddler's damn if it doesn't get carried, and if it's not readily available (quickly!) it has much less to offer. That is why I personally chose a 329PD...I knew I would carry it everywhere in all conditions and never be bothered by the weight or bulk. I also knew I'd be extremely unlikely to ever need more than 2-4 shots in case of a charge...and 6 at most. I don't argue the reliability or ballistics or # of rounds vs an autoloader, and really don't care. I think one round of Buffalo Bore in .45 mag beats any 10mm single round available...but again it's about accuracy more than monster ballistics or big-time firepower.

02-Oct-15
a little hard to carry a rifle or shotgun while bow hunting.

a auto handgun in 9mm, 10mm, 40, or any other anemic round is a joke. i know 10mm is not anemic, but it is not a thumper either. my guess is that on a good day most could not hit a bear's head at 20 yards standing still let alone moving toward you while you are pissing your pants.

the last time i went to alaska i carried a 475 wildey auto. sold that gun, but if i went again i would carry my 454 with hot loads and solids. maybe, i would take my grizzly with 45 win mag hot loads.

i would rather have a gun than not. but, i am not carrying an arsenal for the one chance. i will take something that i am comfortable with that has good power with proper bullets.

02-Oct-15
I think the long guns come in at camp and when the chances of encounters are high, such as making multiple trips packing out game, back and forth to or in proximity of a carcass.

WRT OP, revolver vs auto, I know I shoot an auto much better. Unless I'm single actioning a revolver I'm a poor shot with one. Any kind of rapid fire the double action throws me off. Maybe just not enough practice, but I'm a good deal better with an auto. Not "good" by any measure, but "better". Problem is autos are much more limited to how much "pop" they have.

I like studying and researching "tools" or as coach call them "toys". This thread topic in particular is a subject I really enjoy. Have a buddy with a glock 21 that takes a 460 Rowland conversion, roughly .44 mag territory in an auto. Compensated, etc. I'm fairly familiar with glocks, have one under my desk at work right now. We're working out a deal for the 21 at some point, he's gotten into 1911s and never shoots it anymore. Just a matter or time before he needs a bit of money to feed his 1911 habit...

WRT loading for it, all I need is cases and dies.....

02-Oct-15
"Grizzlys bluff charge. It's what they do. I had a wildlife biology professor that said you had better have claw marks or tooth marks on you if you shoot a grizzly. "..... I had a law professor that said "That is what the fifth amendment is for."

02-Oct-15
BTW Big bore revolver for me.

02-Oct-15
"I forgot to add that I'm probably the only person on this discussion who has actually been attacked by a grizz. it took 3 seconds for the bear to reach us after it committed to a full blown charge." Care to give details?

02-Oct-15
"Jumping crimp" as mentioned above can be a problem but shooting only factory loads by reputable companies reduces the chance.In most cases "crimp jumping" was in the thrid or fourth shot on cheap or handloaded rounds.......

You could also shoot shorter brass aka .45 +P in a .454 or .454 in a .460 if you're super paranoid about it.

That said I have shot 500 rounds of .454 400 grain by a reputable company and have seen 2 move and both were the fifth shot and none resulted in a failure to fire.

02-Oct-15
I for one would like to hear the details of your encounter Steeler.

02-Oct-15
Go on you tube and look up grizzly charges, one is with a guy riding a man bike and the bear chases him a while as the biker keeps looking back with the near on his heels.

03-Oct-15
"Seriously, you have a better chance of running into Gisele Bundchen skinny dipping than an aggressive grizz in Wyoming"

Pat, please tell us what unit she's hunting this year if that's the case, I'd like to hunt there too...

03-Oct-15
+1 on the Diamond D leather holster (I'm assuming that's what Bob meant). Their guides choice chest holster is extremely comfortable and more importantly offers fast access to your big bore. It's obviously no good if you have a hard time getting to it.

I did quite a bit of research a few years ago and ended up with a Ruger Alaskan .44. Equally important is the ammunition you're putting in the revolver. The Buffalo Bore +P+ 340 grain hardened lead bring the .44 round close to 454 casual ballistics. The short barrel Alaskan is surprisingly pleasant to shoot and very accurate, even with the +P+ Buffalo bore loads.

I really hope I never have to fire that gun at a charging bear but it does offer piece of mind. I personally have no interest in carrying bear spray but everyone has to make their own decision. I'm competent with a firearm and would rather take my last stand with a gun.

***It's worth mentioning the Buffalo Bore +P+ loads are too hot to be shot in the Smith and Wesson .44 frames and MANY others. The warning is on the side of the box with a list of approved weapons.

03-Oct-15
The Diamond D holster provides easy access with pack, bino holster, etc.

03-Oct-15

weekender21's embedded Photo
Side view of holster with everything but the kitchen sink.

03-Oct-15

Diamond D holster front view.

03-Oct-15
"Seriously, you have a better chance of running into Gisele Bundchen skinny dipping than an aggressive grizz in Wyoming"

City must still be in the field.....

I agree with Weekender.... the last sound a person ever hears should not be "pssssssssttttt....."

Looks like a great carry rig.

03-Oct-15
I think the charge reference was a post from Pat.

My memory is hazy, but if it's what I think I remember.... I think he poked that bear with a sharp stick first... and a gun ended the charge?

I wonder if spray would have worked? =D

03-Oct-15
I know it takes steel nuts to do it, but the right strategy with any gun is to hold fire until the target is near point-blank. Face facts...none of us is going to intentionally brain or spine-shoot a running bear at 20 yards with ANY gun. Such a hit would be 2% skill and call the rest of it pure...whatever. It sounds insane but the closer the target the greater the odds of a vital hit, plus additional velocity on impact.

I think the biggest potential benefit of multi-round handguns is their deterrent effect before the animal is ready to rearrange your anatomy. A warning shot or two might turn the charge before things get stinky. If push comes to shove, I'd like to have 4 rounds available for the final showdown.

03-Oct-15
If I'm in grizz country, I'm going to have my Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk .454 Cassul in a crossdraw holster strapped on. It has a five shot cylinder and 6 1/2" barrel. If I'm in black bear country, I'll consider my 10 mm. Either case, my pepper spray will be on my hip as first line of defense.

03-Oct-15
I'm boarding a plane in a few minutes to go and bow hunt brown bears, I'm bringing along a 12 gauge shotgun with 3 1/2" slugs. Hoping that I don't have to find out if it works.

03-Oct-15

03-Oct-15
I've never had a grizz charge...but have had dozens of hogs charge when i was packing my old ruger Security six with 140gr hollow points...and then a few charges with my .44 S&W 629 classic.

I did not have the benefit of solid bullets...didn't know about those 25 years ago. The hollow points in .357 were maybe 50% effective on hog head shots. Those big hogs could take a hollow point in the eye socket....and it sometimes only stunned them...only making them madder. The hollow points were 100% effective when shooting down on the hog between the shoulder blades- spinal hit.

Having experienced that, I would agree with Kevins last post.

The only time I've seen a solids in action was on a water buff charge that our guide shot at 20',15',and 10' 3x between the eyes with an open sighted .375 H&H. The first solid went through that bulls head and 5' of that bulls hump...and then through an 8" tree behind him stopping him in his tracks. We never did find the bullet.

I know you can't compare a .375H&H's ballistics to this handgun topic...but even if some of these only have 1/4 the poop- they are going to be pretty potent. The penetration of these hardcast bullets eeks every ounce of penetration from these pistols.

03-Oct-15
Revolver over semi-auto anytime for bears. Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in .480 Ruger for me in Griz country. Ruger 9mm auto for any other time.

FWIW: My buddy in Alaska calls a 44 mag a "5 shooter".......5 for the Grizzly and 1 for yourself when he doesn't stop. He has a 50 cal S&W.

03-Oct-15

TD's Link
A good link Bruce, good info. Thanks

03-Oct-15
Sorry for the confusion Teeton. I was quoting others in my posts. I've had no problems with Grizzlies. But if I did, while bow hunting,I would solve it with a big bore revolver and invoke my fifth amendment right.

03-Oct-15
We need to realize that many who say they have no need of a gun, hunt guided. Meaning they have their own personal bodyguard. A lot like celebrities or politicians who say you don't need a gun.

04-Oct-15
I sometimes carry my .45, but I usually just opt for spray. There are simply no guarantees if you're confronted by a grizzly. I generally go w/ spray because you don't actually have to kill it, just deter an attack, and based on some of the stuff I've read the spray is a little better in that regard, statistically speaking. Fortunately, the only griz I've ever came across checked me out very carefully for a long moment, then ran like freight train in the opposite direction. Those are some big, scary critters. Beautiful, though.

04-Oct-15
TD, thx. I was trying to create a database of these attacks where some conclusions could be discerned.

After talking to a couple buddies that guide...I don't think we will ever get the whole story. The consensus is there are many of these attacks repelled by a firearm that we will never hear about.

I don't know how Montana is but in Ak its a big ordeal in a reported defense situation with these bears.

• Sitka Gear