snellpastor 05-Oct-15
huntmaster 05-Oct-15
elkstabber 13-Oct-15
WapitiBob 13-Oct-15
mnbowhunter 13-Oct-15
03-Oct-15

Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
While all the minor details are fresh in our minds from this elk season I want to know what changes you guys plan to make for next year. I for one have a pair of First Lite pants that seem to snag and tear on EVERYTHING. I plan to replace them with something more durable...any suggestions? I also would like to get a pack that has the means to attach heavy loads up higher on my back. The pack I have now has a meat shelf that is at the very bottom of the pack, which makes it pretty uncomfortable to pack out an elk. What pack, if any, has a setup like this? I feel like I could carry a lot more weight if I could get it up higher on my back.

My 2015 Bull

03-Oct-15
I think I need to get some more face paint for next year maybe?? =) I'm becoming a fan of Kuiu's products, and once I can make myself drop $150 on a pair of pants, I'm going to give the Attack or Alpine pant a try as they look pretty decent. For now, though, I'm rocking some Walmart specials. I don't have issues with them catching on things, and they are surprisingly durable for what you pay for them. I can usually get at least two year's worth of wear out of a pair.

As to your pack question, I think you may have a bit of a hard time finding a pack that's going to hold an elk-quarter's-worth of weight up high. The bull I took this year had hind quarters that were 65 pounds with the lower half of the leg cut off. I have a Kelty Cache hauler that has a strong shelf at the bottom and a good waist belt, and I hauled out 110 lbs. of meat in one trip without too much discomfort. I think one problem you are going to have with putting the quarters up high is that it's going to make you very top heavy and prone to tipping over. Even with the bottom of the two quarters I was carrying at my waist level, I was still having to concentrate to not get off balance. I do really like the Kelty Cache hauler, and it has served me very well for several seasons now, and it sure makes the pack out much more pleasant. I have a Kuiu 5200 that I use to take out a front quarter on the first trip back to my vehicle, and then I keep the Kelty in the vehicle for the remainder of the pack out, and that system has worked well for several years now.

One thing I do think I'm going to invest in by next year is a Wyoming game saw. I use a Gerber folding saw now, but I'm probably going to upgrade to the Wyoming saw at some point before next year.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Nice bull too, by the way.

03-Oct-15
I wore KUIU and Sitka pants both for the first time this year and loved them both. The KUIU Attacks are a little cheaper but you may have a long wait.

But the best addition I had this year were the KUIU gaiters! This is the first time I'd ever used gaiters and couldn't believe what a difference they made in keeping my feet dry, keeping sage and brush from snagging my pants and boot laces, and just overall comfort. This is the only brand I've tried but can't imagine any others being better when it comes to fit, waterproofness, and quietness. Essential gear for me from now on!

03-Oct-15
Getting rid of any and all Montana decoy products. They are COMPLETELY saturated with UV brighteners, and glow like a light bulb when tested!

03-Oct-15
Single pin sight.

Great pants are the predator cheaper synthetic pants. I think they are around $50. I've had mine since the came out. They are kind of velvety. They are quiet comfortable and WAY tougher than they look. Plus they are predator camp. You can put they extra hundred toward your pack. Mystery ranch is going to be your best bet.

03-Oct-15
I'm considering going to a whisker biscuit rest after a failure with the activator string on my limb driven rest on my elk this year. First ever equipment failure on a shot at game, and EXTREMELY disappointing. Don't even ask...

I really like the kuiu attack pants as well, if you can handle the ordering Process they are my favorites. And the gaiters (as Midwest stated) can be a huge plus.

--Jim

03-Oct-15
Best gear update for 2015 was definitely my Kifaru Mountain Warrior pack. I bone elk out on the mountain and the compression straps combined with the meat hanger kept the loads high and manageable. The "grab it" works great on an elk head too!

Not a fan of chest mount bino harnesses for bowhunting. I tried carrying my binos on the pack belt using a Kifari medium pouch...but found the zipper was not very one-hand friendly. Already located and ordered a new bino pouch from a tactical supply store.

03-Oct-15
"Not a fan of chest mount bino harnesses for bowhunting. I tried carrying my binos on the pack belt using a Kifari medium pouch...but found the zipper was not very one-hand friendly. Already located and ordered a new bino pouch from a tactical supply store."

Pav-If you find a good one let me know. Year after year, my bino situation is the one that always drives me nuts..

03-Oct-15
Loved my Kryptek pants and Merino. I will pick up a puffy of some kind before next fall. I am upgrading packs and picking up an ultralight tent. May also pick up a pair of Prana Zions.

03-Oct-15
"May also pick up a pair of Prana Zions."

unless Prana has really stepped up their game, buyer be warned, they used to have serious durability issues. They made climbing clothing and we used to joke about how you wear prana until it falls off because that is what happens. One week they are good, the next they are disintegrating off you.

03-Oct-15
X2 on the kryptek pants! I had the alaios gen 2 this year and loved them, tons of pockets. I'm also adding gaiters for next year and a packable camp chair. My two hunting partners had them, and believe me, it's nice sitting in over a wet log or ground. I think the REI model weighs about 1 1/2 pound..... Probably gonna add a kryptek cadog jacket, and finally upgrade my boots from some cheap hikers to meindl perfekt hikers (my feet will thank me after my toenails grow back!LOL!) I gotta start saving money!

03-Oct-15
Ditto, Bowfreak on the puffy. Definitely will have one next year.

03-Oct-15
Just going off what I have heard about the Zions. Aron Snyder said they are a great alternative to the Kuiu attack(I think its the attack) pant.

03-Oct-15
Was said on the Gritty Bowmen podcast.

03-Oct-15
I on the other hand like the bino chest rig. I have an S4 gear but really don't like the fit and finish. Will most likely try Kuiu or Alaskan Guide Creations. I hate carrying crap in my pant pockets.

03-Oct-15
I'll probably change the oil in my pickup, probably the tranny fluid too.

Maybe add some more Shoe Goo to my boots so I can get one more year out of them.

That's 'bout it....

.....gotta save money for the Chocolate Stout.

03-Oct-15
Aaron,

I bought a FHF set last year (bino pouch and rangefinder pouch) off the Rokslide classifieds. It was the best upgrade I've done in years. I really like it.

03-Oct-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
All Sitka, all the time! Turn it inside out and see the quality! Note the orange armband!

03-Oct-15
I'll be changing from my GoLite SL3 to a homemade Tyvek tarp and bivy to save some more weight. I don't know how you guys do this without a puffy! Mine is a 7-ounce jacket that is far warmer than any 24-ounce softshell or fleece. It also allows me to use a 30-degree sleeping bag without getting cold. I have nothing from Kryptek/KUIU/Sitka/Meindl, and I plan on staying that way. Not worth the cost to me. And I've said it many times, but the Target C9 Golf Pants are every bit as good as any, and cost $30. Unless you find them on sale.

I have worn out my $60 Inov-8 trail shoes after year, so I'm eyeing some Salomons to replace them.

03-Oct-15
Yup! Planning on upgrading my pants as well. I've been wearing my Gander mountain camo pants I found at the goodwill for $5.00. Just purchased yesterday a pair of 5 pocket camo jeans from Wal-mart for $12.88. I know, I know...fairly large upgrade but I figure I've earned it. ;) on a serious note I did find a a good deal on some Kenetrek gaitors before I went out this year and man are they nice, stayed bone dry my whole trip. Not sure how I lived without them all this time. Highly recommend getting some if you don't have em already.

Also think I'm going to step out and pick up a real GPS for next year as well. Tired of using my phone. (Any suggestions are welcomed)

03-Oct-15
Garmin 62st

03-Oct-15
Next year I'm gong to invest in a time machine. I really like to go back and adjust on my missed opportunities!!!

03-Oct-15
PistolPete....what puffy do you have?

03-Oct-15
I'll be getting a new elk tag I think, although the one I have is perfectly good, 10 out of 10 condition, but you know how it is, always got to have the latest and greatest!

03-Oct-15
Now for real, i already ordered a cylinder stove and liner for my sawtooth, box stove I bought with it this summer is too heavy, also bought a better folding saw to feed the stove easier too!

03-Oct-15
oldgoat - nice, haha. I know what you mean!

Midwest - I have a hooded Stoic Hadron that I picked up for $55 a few years ago. It's discontinued, but it is about perfect. 2 ounces of 850 FP down in an ultralight pullover. if I were looking for one now I might check out Uniqlo.

03-Oct-15
A few things....

1. Spotting Scope or 10 X Binocs $1500 range 2. GPS with Text capabilities-heard they make one, just need to find it~Priceless when ya need it. 3. Spike camp tent 4. Waterproof camo coat and pants-it's been 20 years since I bought anything new, besides the occasional Wal-Mart camo purchase.

Thinking tax refund, baby!

03-Oct-15
Not too much change. Need a new pair of elk country boots. My Wolverines are wore out.

Need new set of string and cables.

Look for a new camera too

03-Oct-15
Was also thinking about a tether for my range finder but all I've looked at are super loud. Think I'll just stick with it on my belt pocket of my pack. Padded and protected there.

04-Oct-15
As far as a pack I would really look at Kifaru. They have a new frame that will fit any bag they sell and I too want reviews on it. I own two. As far as pants it will be determined by your budget and availabilty. If you want KUIU Attack pants that I believe are really good and fit and wear that way you will have to wait...same serious problem no matter the season! Never worn any Sitka stuff but I am sure it is really good too and always available. First Light has a new Synethetic pair of pants I plan on buying and trying. They look really good. Never liked the wool ones with a cargo pocket on the top of my leg. Unless I wore Merino base layers they made my legs itch when I sweat. Best low cost hunting pant was core4element. They are not what the others are but they do not cost the same. And the list of new stuff keeps getting longer these days. Pistol Pete has some good ideas. Look at Camofire.com and you will get some good stuff there. IE..C4element. Also look at Kings Camo they as I understand it are producing what Russell Outdoors did. Good stuff not top of the line but good stuff. For me the one thing I would have done different this season ..spend more time scouting vs working. But that is not my decision. Only so much time to leave and scout. Enjoy your hunt and don't get so serious you are not having fun!

04-Oct-15
I do the same thing after just about every trip. I generally make a list of things that work great as well as a list of things I can improve on after all major trips. I've been selling items I don't need or use and replacing them with things I use on a regular basis.

It's always a plus to go with less bulk/weight...but it usually comes at a cost. I switched over to Kifaru frame/bag system and am sold on it. I've been using and abusing my Sitka pants, shirts, jackets, and rain gear for years. They are tough to beat. I like the stretchy feal of Sitka pants for hiking steep terrain. They dry quick and are reasonably light weight.

With that said, I'm to the point where I'm trying to sell more things than I'm buying. If anyone can use a Sitka Bivy 4500 that is in almost new condition please PM me.

04-Oct-15

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
Some more cheap camo t-shirts, here in Manitoba expensive camo is not needed, doesn't ever get cool enough to need much more than a t-shirt, some new packable rain gear pants, destroyed a pair of cabalas space rain this year, maybe a new knife

04-Oct-15
I was checking kuiu's site the other day and it seems they have attacks in stock right now. If anybody's looking to order.

04-Oct-15
1. a single pin bow sight. most likely a Montana Gold

2. a new and lighter pair of boots for elk hunting.

My best, Paul

04-Oct-15
If you currently have a MBG and want a single pin, let me know. I have a head off my ascent I would sell. I ordered a custom multipin to replace it with. Paul, I'll solicit you this week when I see you at the gym!

04-Oct-15
Aaron, I do not have a MBG but a SpotHogg. thanks,

I am going to Gannett Ridge this afternoon and order it as I want a larger housing also. Paul

04-Oct-15
Good deal, Paul. That's who I ordered my multi-pin from earlier this year. Those guys are great.

04-Oct-15
I think I'm going to put a whisker biscuit back on my compound bow, give that another try. And use my camel back. I have a hard time staying hydrated because my current gear requires that I stop, remove my pack, dig out a water bottle, drink, reverse the process. Generally that's more trouble than I want to deal with until I'm about to die of thirst.

04-Oct-15
Sage, we went to a 32oz nalgene bottle on our waist belt, much better for keeping hydrated than our camelback. Did carry enough water in camelback to refill our bottles if we were going to be out really long!

04-Oct-15
Figure I'll continue to work on my manscaping like the center guy in Charlie's picture...

I have a Havalon knife in my kill kit, but like to have a fixed blade as well. In the past, I've carried a small Normark filet knife. They're relatively compact and light compared to most hunting knives.

The filet knife will stay home next year. I just received a gift that I would not have bought for myself. A Kestrel Knife.

04-Oct-15
Don't think I'll change anything. Everything is dialed in.

04-Oct-15
Also there's an extra noise from the water bottle (slosh, slosh). I don't get that from my camelback.

04-Oct-15
FWIW I use a 2L Camelback that I typically fill between 2/3 to 3/4 full. I also carry a full to the top 20oz regular thin wall water bottle in my pack.

No sloshing. If it's a hot day and I'm pushing hard and drain the Camelback, I have 20oz in reserve.

04-Oct-15
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I will look into the attack pants and Kifaru packs.

Muley, you cant go wrong with more face paint.

05-Oct-15
I'm going to pick up a pair of puffy pants for those windy glassing points.

I'm asking my MIL for a cow-elk hat for Christmas, since she's handy with needle and thread.

I need a new Camelback. The hanging point on mine broke, so it just crumpled up in the bottom of my pack.

My boots are about done in. Fall deer here and spring turkey will probably finish them off. I'll probably need a new pair before next year.

I'd like a pop-up truck camper, or a shorter toy-hauler. I'm getting soft.

Bake

05-Oct-15
Smtn, Yup, and I think Carcus would agree with you. =) It probably would have saved me getting a nasty sunburn more than once this year.

05-Oct-15
The KUIU attack pants are amazing. The perfect archery elk hunting pant IMO. The Zions are a good pant, but too thin in my opinion for hunting. For both durability and warmth. The attacks are just warm enough for the early mornings, but keep you cool, and breath well when it's hot.

I doubt I will ever need another pant for elk hunting.

05-Oct-15

MarkU's embedded Photo
MarkU's embedded Photo
I'm going to get some kind of hat. Tired of the sun bleaching my hair out like this. It used to be dark.

Will have to get some new pants. Ripped the knee out going over a log. Will go into Walmart early some Sunday morning and get a new twenty dollar pair, and since I work and hunt in the same clothes, I can write the twenty bucks off.

Was gifted with three new plaid shirts this year, and one is quality wool. I'd wear them but there's all those buttons to deal with.

05-Oct-15
Meat grinder and vacuum bag sealer!

Getting tired of the price increases to get my meat ground and packaged, after I cut it all up in chunks for the processor!

05-Oct-15
@ huntingbob: Used the new Kifaru frame and I got to tell you, it is a different animal than the bikini or old duplex. WAY better. How? 1) They got rid of the ladderlocks behind the shoulder harness that always dug into my back. 2) adjustable load lifters. 3) better foam. 4) just as stiff vertically, but flexes side to side as you walk ... pretty much like my Exo Mountain pack. The old frames were stiff as a board. Not this one. But it will haul a load just as well.

It is not hard to carry your meat or other heavy gear up high in the Kifaru at all. Use the DT1 and it is a breeze.

05-Oct-15
I used the KUIU Attacks and the Alpines this year and I like the Alpines a little better. They are thinner but tighter weave, which resulted in a warmer and cooler pant if that is even possible. Both were very nice and I'd wear either again. They both were an upgrade from my Sitka accent, but an equal to the mountain pants I'd say.

Other than picking which pants to wear on which day, I'm set with changes.

13-Oct-15
I have both the KUIU Attacks and the Tiburon. The Attacks are warmer but less durable. The Tiburons are cooler but a lot more durable going through oak brush, cactus, etc. I love them both and can't see needing any more pants. They're both as comfortable as wearing pajamas.

Next year I'll have to get better with OnXMaps on my phone. I'd like to have my phone, GPS, alarm clock, and maps all in one. I've been going old school with paper maps, compass, GPS, alarm clock, and then a phone.

13-Oct-15
Boots

13-Oct-15
Changing my backpack . (Badlands 4500 pos) and I used hiking boots but I'd like to get a boot a little bit taller

• Sitka Gear