onX Maps
Wood stove in wall tent - front or back?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
cnelk 04-Oct-15
Don K 04-Oct-15
Don K 04-Oct-15
oldgoat 04-Oct-15
Bowboy 04-Oct-15
iceman 04-Oct-15
WV Mountaineer 04-Oct-15
Kodiak 04-Oct-15
tradi-doerr 04-Oct-15
cnelk 04-Oct-15
JLS 04-Oct-15
easeup 04-Oct-15
WV Mountaineer 04-Oct-15
huntingbob 06-Oct-15
Goosewyo 07-Oct-15
Mountain sheep 07-Oct-15
WV Mountaineer 07-Oct-15
Goosewyo 08-Oct-15
tradi-doerr 09-Oct-15
MallardSX2 09-Oct-15
Norseman 09-Oct-15
doubleeagle 14-Oct-15
Jim Leahy 16-Oct-15
Pete In Fairbanks 17-Oct-15
Ambush 17-Oct-15
04-Oct-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I made this wood stove yesterday from some stuff I had kicking around the barn. I have 3 wall tents and have always used propane heaters as they have no roof jacks.

If I was to cut a 3 inch stove jack in a 10x12 tent, is it best to have the stove near the door flap or in the back of the tent?

Why?

04-Oct-15
I like the stove at the front door.

Why? I find it easier to bring the wood in with the stove being right there. My floor is removable so I fold the floor back at the front about 5 ft or so (if there isn't snow) and that way no bark or chips end up on the floor where I am sleeping.

04-Oct-15
And nice job on the build!!!

04-Oct-15
I've only stayed in one and it was in the front! You should check out Wyoming Lost and Found, they make modular removable/replaceable stove jacks that you could install so when stove isn't used, you don't have to have a hole in the roof!

04-Oct-15
I like mine in the front by the door flap.

04-Oct-15
Ditto on the above. Ours are in the front as well.

04-Oct-15
Front. That is the only option as putting it in the back just takes up needed space due to having to stay far enough away from it. I'd build 5 inch jack. It draws a lot better.

Nice stove btw. God Bless

04-Oct-15
Front here as well.

Agree with the 5" pipe.

Mo better.

04-Oct-15

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
Front for me to, as mentioned above, but also if you get a smoke out you can open the door and vent the smoke out faster, there are so many reasons to keep it in the front.

I also have my stove jack in the side wall so I can keep 100% water proof, also the sound of water dripping on the stove and hissing all night can be a pain. see pic.

Nice stove! make sure you put a grate in the bottom to help keep the hot coals from burning through.

04-Oct-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Thanks for the info everyone and some good replies.

I need to stay with a 3in pipe as the stove is only 11in long but it still has great draft.

Yes on the grate (it ain't my first stove build) :)

I do like the side port and have considered that too

04-Oct-15
Front.

Nice looking stove.

04-Oct-15
only in the front. otherwise everyone tromps over your sleeping area just to get warm and getting wood in and out

04-Oct-15
Looks like it is doing well. Congrats on a great build and God Bless

06-Oct-15
I've always wished mine was in the middle. Even distribution of heat in the tent. Bonus is no one can say I wasn't that close as the other guy.

07-Oct-15
For what it is worth when I was buying my tent from Davis in Denver they told me that you want the stove on the downwind side of the tent so embers will go away from the tent. I wish I would have had a stove jack in front and back.

07-Oct-15
Hey I like your stove. Nice work!

07-Oct-15
Goose, you just set the tent up with the prevailing wind in mind. No need for an extra jack. God Bless

08-Oct-15
True but sometimes the way we want the door flap it was on the wrong end!

09-Oct-15
One more reason why I like my vent out the side, with the elbows and a cap, there are no sparks that make it out-no need to worry about wind, granted you have to brush out the pipe about every 3/5 days, but worth it.

09-Oct-15
Nice stove! I prefer propane...im lazy! haha

09-Oct-15
Front is better as your fire won't pull a draft from the door all the way to the back. Thus keeping the majority of the tent toasty.

14-Oct-15
tradi-doerr mentions brushing out the pipe. I've used sand, dirt, and other debris put in the removed pipe and shaken side to side, with a hand over each opening to clean the pipe. This can be easier than a brush and is easy if you have a buddy to do more than an arm span of pipe. Just scoop, shake side to side, and dump...a clean pipe.

16-Oct-15
All of the drop camps I have been to- 7 I believe-have it in the front near the door. Maybe for ventilation or emergency's or heat/cooling reasons--maybe for the wood pile to keep the rest of the tent clean-not sure but that's the choice for location. IO also have a Cabelas wall tent-it was rigged towards the front as well for the layout. JIM

17-Oct-15
You may wish to install your damper higher on the stove pipe. Yours looks to be very close to the hottest part of the body of the stove itself.

Putting it a foot or two higher on the pipe will allow you to operate it with less chance of burning your fingers.

Pete

17-Oct-15
I have a 14'X 14' EENA TT, a semi tipi style tent. The stove jack came on the opposite wall as the door. I would prefer it on the door wall, for all the reasons listed above, but the design of the tent does not lend itself well to that option. But definitely on the side wall is preferable. No holes in the roof and you can angle the pipe well away from the tent.

I may have another jack sewn into the front to have the option. As it is now I have two walls [ door and stove ] that are not really usable for sleeping.

• Sitka Gear