killinstuff 07-Oct-15
shortstop 08-Oct-15
elvspec 08-Oct-15
killinstuff 18-Oct-15
killinstuff 18-Oct-15
oldgoat 18-Oct-15
killinstuff 18-Oct-15
06-Oct-15
Took home elk ribs for the first time. How do I fix em on the grill? Thank you!

06-Oct-15
I would slow smoke them at 225° until med rare/medium (probably 3-5 hours). Otherwise, like beef ribs, they'll be tough as nails.

Good luck!

06-Oct-15
Agree with alce. They are very tough, but tasty if you slow cook them. I smoke them for 3 hours and then put them in the crock pot for another 4-5.

They work great as shredded meat for Mexican, or for bbq sandwiches.

06-Oct-15
Bone out a rib roll and toss in crock pot, or into your burger pile.

06-Oct-15
By "smoke them" you mean on the grill at low temp or actually in a smoker?

06-Oct-15
Ok. Let's get something straight. ALL ribs are tough.

The only way to get ribs tender and delicious is through slow cooking at low temperatures in smoker/grill or using slow cooker/pressure cooker.

Since wild game tends to struggle with low temps for long hours due to low fat content smoking them first then tossing into crock pot/or pressure cooker works very well. BTW When cooking pork or beef ribs smoking purists would never use a crock pot to cook ribs (it's akin to using a crossbow).

Do not cook your ribs over direct heat - indirect only. I would also wrap them in aluminum foil after the first hour.

Just remember with meat it's all about timing. Get it right and you will be in heaven, get it wrong and you have jerky. So the #1 rule is know your device. Know how long is takes to smoke/or grill meat on your grill.

If you don't know look up online for some basic guidelines.

Good luck!

06-Oct-15
Use apple cider vineger as a tenderizer and to precook the ribs.

Add one cup of apple cider vineger to 4 gallons water in pot.

Bring to a low boil and then SIMMER. As I said, Simmer. Do not boil the ribs!

Place meat-on 4-5 ribs in simmering solution. ( I cut in half the ribs to fit in pot so the ribs are usually 12 inch long.)

Slow simmer for 4-5 hours until they are 85% cooked BUT not so cooked that the meat will fall off of the bone. Cover pot. Skim off the surface fat from the water once in a while. The vineger will tenderize and add some flavor to the meat.

TAke out ribs and then add your favorete BBQ sauce, and finish grilling them. I like charcoal vs gas.

And then, and this in VERY important, once completed,let me know then dinner is, and I will bring the beer.

My best, Paul

06-Oct-15
I use a smoker, but you can cook on a grill with indirect heat. Make an aluminum foil "basket" and place wood chips in there, over the flame. That will produce some smoke for you. Keep grill around 225 deg.

Like Sage Buffalo mentioned, you want to make sure they don't dry out due to the low fat content. One technique is to smoke for 2 hours, then wrap the ribs in aluminum foil and keep cooking for 3 hours to hold in the moisture and tenderize them, then unwrap for 1 more hour to dry the outside of them just a bit and add more smoke flavoring.

07-Oct-15
My friend took ribs and basted with barbecue sauce. He then put them on a gas grill and grilled both sides. Then put them in a glass casserole dish with a little water in the bottom covered with foil and let them simmer for 4-5 hours more on the covered gas grill. They were delicious and tender.

07-Oct-15
I do this for deer ribs so it would be fine with elk. Put in a roaster pan and pour in a can of good beer. Bud or Miller works but I like good beer. 250 for a couple hours then they are fall apart ready for the grill. I put a dry rub on them over night in the frig first then grill but you can go from the roaster to the grill and add sauce if you want.

08-Oct-15
Thanks everyone!

08-Oct-15
I do exactly what Vids does except I don't do the third step to dry them out. I like moist ribs. Works great and I do this same method for pork ribs and have won a couple of times in the Blues and BBcue tour.

Making me hungry! Seriously my mouth is watering.

18-Oct-15

killinstuff's embedded Photo
So yesterday I cooked my deer ribs in the roaster with a can of beer. Here they are in the smoker/grill. The roast pan deal gets all the fat and tallow off them which is what can cause them to taste bad.

18-Oct-15

And here they are done. F-ing tasty.

18-Oct-15
Haven't done elk ribs but did do deer ribs for the first time last year, boiled them for half an hour or so then smoked them for an hour and applied bbq sauce, best ribs I've ever eaten!!!!!!

18-Oct-15
The bones get saved and tomorrow I'll cook up some collard and mustard greens with them.

Kill it, cook it, live life well.

• Sitka Gear