willliamtell 22-Oct-15
BULELK1 22-Oct-15
DonVathome 24-Oct-15
LUNG$HOT 24-Oct-15
ben yehuda 24-Oct-15
BULELK1 25-Oct-15
Jaquomo 25-Oct-15
11-Oct-15
I found a dead small 6x6 (270ish) with 1/2 an arrow. Very southern edge of unit (New Mexico unit 36) near ski resort and reservation. If you lost a bull this year near there AND can describe arrow I can tell you exactly where it is so you can recovery he horns.

Please pass this along.

11-Oct-15
good deed !!

11-Oct-15
New Mexico has specific regulations regarding antlers no matter from rotten carcass or sheds. Check it out perhaps if you put your punched tag on it you will be ok. Check it out !

11-Oct-15
270 is a really nice Bull! Great find! Hope you find the guy!

11-Oct-15
Illegal to take, tag, or have in your possession in NM. Your only remedy is to back date a tag and hope you don't get caught. Without the meat it will be a gamble.

11-Oct-15
Nope, you can put your tag on it to posess the horns, however, only after game and fish has conducted their investigation to verify whether or not it is a poaching case. If it is yours, contact game and fish first.

11-Oct-15
I have no intention of taking the horns no matter what. I'm just hoping to find the archer, eventually.

12-Oct-15
That would make some one very happy to get the bull he arrowed.

Good luck, Robb

12-Oct-15
Don, good deal! I hope you find the rightful owner, I'm sure it would make their day!

Several years back I found a 300" bull that had been lost. I found the owner of that rack & it so happened it was his first elk with a bow, to say he was elated would be an understatement! (grin) Funny thing is he said in tracking it he was within 100 yards of it & still never found him. I found him with my nose! (grin)

ElkNut1

12-Oct-15
Don

Cool that you would post this....looking forward to hearing the report from your hunt....

12-Oct-15
Nice of you to make the effort Don. I hope you get contacted.

12-Oct-15
You need to call the NM game and fish, if someone lost it they should have called a game officer and reported it. Then you report it and the officer can figure it out.

I know of 3 bulls 300+ that were killed and lost where i live. I found one and my neighbor found the other one is still lost to my knowledge.

As an educational part my Neighbor did not go up and start cutting on the bull he saw right away and as a result the meat was lost. He called the division officer and left a message, he's newish to hunting. He did not want a confrontation and did not want to mess with the dead elk. The officer told him he should have kept trying to get a hold of her or the other officer on duty. Once the officer gave him the go ahead gone up and started cutting up the meat. If no one claimed it he could have it and the rack.

It was shot in the hind quarter, no arrow and in the chest/ arm pit. Two very slow kill shots. It was on top at 12,500.

14-Oct-15
That's non-sense.

The "hunter" doesn't deserve to recover the rack. These stories piss me off...take/make a poor shot that wounds an animal or the hunter being too lazy or unskilled to recover the animal to harvest the meat, shouldn't be rewarded by recovering antlers.

There is a big responsibility in loosing an arrow or a bullet and I'm sick of the neglect people have for these animals that sustain us.

14-Oct-15
Whoa, Slopehunter is the perfect Hunter. He never makes a mistake.

14-Oct-15
I've made plenty of mistakes and can't take back those arrows I sent...however, I've lived and learned and I've learned great respect for the game I pursue.

Some people don't mind shooting elk (or any big game) in the face or ass with their bow or even feel bad if they wound something - I dont get it? That is horrible in my opinion.

If I had not recovered that bull to harvest the meat, I would feel unworthy of the rack. IMHO

14-Oct-15
SlopeHunter,

I agree with your comment. None of us are perfect, but to be happy to find an animal that you killed, and not reap the rewards of the meat is not right, IMO. However, what the OP is offering is a fine gesture.

14-Oct-15
SlopeHunter -

Sometimes things happen, even the most skilled and ethical bow hunters have lost an animal. Being human, we're subject to mistakes, sometimes they don't translate into the hunter being neglectful.

Thank goodness most of the bow hunters on Bowsite are skilled and ethical enough so that the number of lost animals is very low, but it does happen.

14-Oct-15
Slopehunter is apparently unwilling to step out from behind the veil of anonymity and discuss his ideas intelligently, and calmly, like a real "hunter."

Mistakes get made, I've made a few. We don't know how long the hunter searched, if it rained, where the hunter hit the elk, etc. I would appreciate DonVathome's post if I were in this unfortunate situation.

Take a deep breath and wait out the story before you crucify someone from the shadows Colorado Native.

14-Oct-15
"I've made plenty of mistakes and can't take back those arrows I sent...however, I've lived and learned and I've learned great respect for the game I pursue."

Slopehunter, So it is okay for you to make mistakes and learn but it isn't for others? Kind of hypocritical don't you think!

14-Oct-15
You are right mrelite, you too, to a degree Chasewild. I agree I've jumped to conclusions, but I don't think my tone has been outrageous or unintelligent...

I've just heard too many stories lately of disrespectful hunters that only care about big antlers.

14-Oct-15
I see no mention of big antlers or disrespect, but I do see a nice guy trying to be a nice guy.

14-Oct-15
Maybe SlopeHunter should be more respectful of the Bowsite forum rules.

Anonymous Registrations are Prohibited

People who register for our services under assumed or "bogus" names will be removed.

14-Oct-15
I could see an issue if they took the antlers and left the meat. But that's not the case here. Not even close. Stuff happens. In this case NOBODY knows what happened.

As far as waste... nothing in nature is wasted. The hunter just didn't get to it first and make his use of it.

Thanks for the effort Don. Hope you find the hunter and he can at least claim his rack for the effort. And some closure.

14-Oct-15
There could be a guy at home somewhere right now agonizing over that bull and what might have happened to him. It's a darn good thing Don is doing here. Regardless of the meat, the rack, or someone else's moral compass it might just help a guy sleep better at night knowing that the bull isn't out there suffering somewhere, etc. Good karma coming your way Don regardless of the outcome.

14-Oct-15
X2 Brotsky

14-Oct-15
X3

We all have made a mistake, a bad shot, even a "good" shot that may have resulted in a lost animal for one reason or another. Having some closure helps. May also help the hunter learn something based on where the carcass is vs. where the shot/last blood occurred.

14-Oct-15
Someone brought up violation of forum rules. Funny how the anonymous name registration is the only one that seems to be the only cardinal sin violation but the obnoxious and belligerent behavior directed at someone never is...

14-Oct-15
One of my fondest memories was another hunters elk I found and finished. We had run into the hunter that morning and he told us he had an arrow in a bull.

We were fortunate that we were able to call him on a cell phone and he packed out that bull the same night.

I don't think very many archers who are dedicated enough to spend time on an archery hunting forum are going to purposely wound an animal and hope someone else finds it. Finding a lost bowkill will be educational for all involved.

Don Way to reach out. Hope you find the hunter.

14-Oct-15
Good on you Don!

14-Oct-15
Nice gesture Don!

14-Oct-15
The question is less around whether he is somehow entitled to the rack and more so why he would even want it I think we all have enough reminders in life of mistakes and failures and endeavors gone awry personally I wouldn't need a rack on the wall of such an event to remind me of such a failure

Regardless of all the valid and legitimate reasons that he may have failed to recover that animal as intended the fact is he failed to recover the animal as intended it was not a successful hunt and then less he is some type of masochist I don't know why he would wish to be reminded of that fact

14-Oct-15
I would want the rack. Losing an animal stinks and we all have the responsibility to do our best to minimize it. But, it is part of hunting and always will be. If the day comes when making a perfect shot and guaranteed recoveries are automatic, bowhunting will not be the same. Making the shot and making the recovery aren't always easy. They are both part of the challenge that makes bowhunting rewarding.

I would like to have the rack as a reminder of the hunt and a reminder to do my part. I wouldn't look at it as a trophy I took. I would consider it an elk I lost. How big of a failure it was on my part would depend on the circumstances. Most likely it would be 100% due to a mistake on my part.

If we are hunting and hit an elk in the ham for whatever reason but clip the femoral and we recover it 40 yards from the shot, should we leave those horns in the woods as well since we failed and missed our spot by 40"?

If I miss by half as much or 20", make paunch hit and never recover it, is that a bigger or smaller fail on my part?

I had a bear vertebrae with my broadhead buried in it that I kept for years. I shot that arrow on a Tuesday and shot the arrow that killed him on Friday (no idea it was the same bear). It was a good reminder to me and a good conversation piece when discussing shooting from treestands. My lab ate it one day. Not a scratch on her, bone gone, broad head laying in the middle of the living room floor.

15-Oct-15
Excellent post Glunt.

Well said.

15-Oct-15
If it were me I would get the horns but never feel right anout it - like if I found it and got meat.

I might reward a guy for making a poor unethical shot (unlikely I think) but I will take that chance. This elk was in a steep thick area. Literally from 3 directions you would need to be within 10 feet to see it. 4th direction 15-20 feet. Well hidden.

I called G&F and two wardens no luck. I will also post on MM when I get home.

I have never wounded an elk - but I have missed - which might be a bigger miss then on this elk.

15-Oct-15
+1 Brotsky.

Very good thing you are doing. I know if this happened to me I would want to know.

15-Oct-15
I wouldn't feel good about hanging a rack of an animal that I lost the meat to spoilage, but purposefully leaving the antlers in the woods to get chewed up by rats wouldn't make me feel any better about it.

15-Oct-15
""If I had not recovered that bull to harvest the meat, I would feel unworthy of the rack.""

This is my take, but just for myself. Nice gesture Don. Might help the guy close the book on a bad deal, so to speak.

no need to get into a pissin' match over it though.................

15-Oct-15
Very nice thing to do Don.

15-Oct-15
Amazing how a offer for a good deal turns into a debate and lawyers giving advice. Lots of good shots have resulted in lost animals. They don't alway leave a blood trail.

16-Oct-15
Very nice gesture sir!

16-Oct-15
I find it odd what some people post and have some questions:

What is the timeframe for finding an animal that one should consider themselves "successful" on the hunt?

What if you find it the following morning and there is some spoilage?

What if there is already some bad meat on the animal that you recovered immediately? Unsuccessful?

How much meat do you take from every animal that you kill? Do you carve every sliver off of every bone on the animal? Eat every organ?

It's all relative folks. You know what they say, opinions are like a$$holes and everyone has one. It just so happens that some haven't wiped in a while.

16-Oct-15
Oh btw, good gesture Don. I personally would want to know what happened to the bull, however, not finding it myself if I ended up recovering the rack I think it would probably go in the shed.

16-Oct-15
Good job Don.

If it was my elk and I found out about it I would go get it, so I'd be thankful.

Not even going to get into reasoning as to why. Why not? Most of us will walk days just to collect a shed or a dead head in the spring. Now you had history with why it ended up that way and you don't want to pick it up? Doubt it.

16-Oct-15

JJJ's embedded Photo
JJJ's embedded Photo
I found this bull in 2012 and looked for the owner for a year, via Bowsite and other ways. Ended up trading him to my taxidermist for a 1/2 price mount. He scored about 310"..I would have liked to know what he looked like if I'd have made the bad shot, and to know where he was hit, how far he went, etc. Something to be learned.

19-Oct-15
I watched a show on either the Sportsman channel or Outdoor network last week-bow hunting the HILA in NM-did I wrote that right-anyway- the guy shoots an elk at dusk with a bow-- they decide to go back down the mountain and get it the next morning- the picture of the bull when found looks a little larger than normal (bloated) and the legs are all spread out and very stiff! Whenever I have elk hunted- only 6 times- we always feared leaving an animal in 50 degree weather all night- I wonder if that bull was good to eat or spoiled?? The sad thing is the hit was low-but the bull didn't go far at all according to the cameras. While hunting in Colorado two years ago on a drop camp- a guy in another camp shot a big 6-6 (330) with a Rifle -- they went back to camp without gutting it after posing for pictures! They went the next morning- the bull was spoiled and that was with snow on the ground during 2nd rifle season. The outfitter made them pack all the spoiled meet out in exchange for them keeping the cape and horns. The option was to leave it as is otherwise and report it to the DOW. He wouldn't let them return the next year! I agree with the outfitter on this and told him so myself.

19-Oct-15

Don K's embedded Photo
Don K's embedded Photo
Found this guy in NM when I was there and as much as I wanted to pack it out I took pictures and went on my way. If it was legal I would have hauled it out. If nothing else maybe the hunter in 36 would like to know what the outcome of the hunt was

19-Oct-15

fishspy's embedded Photo
fishspy's embedded Photo
Jim

I have watch several outdoor programs that show a late afternoon bow hunter with a marginal hit and they leave the elk over night so not to spook them. Every time I write a letter letting them know those of us who have elk hunted all our lives know there is no elk that will not spoil over night and I do not care how cold it is. I have tried to save elk that have been shot late at night and not recovered until first light and if you can eat them you are a lot tougher than I am.

Maturity makes us better hunters and like Slopehunter flying off the handle about bad shots, I am totally behind him. Ethical people do not shoot, they don't try to make bad opportunities into a shot. It does take maturity and with that lessons from bad decisions. I personally thru my bow to the ground twenty years ago and said I would never hunt with it again after back to back bad hits on Elk, my hunting partner helped me track the bull for five miles and we finally got him on the ground. I swore on that day I would never push my abilities again in the name of success, I killed a great bull in New Mexico this year at fifteen yards on the second to the last day of the season and the bull died in less than twenty yards. It takes maturity but when people constantly talk about hitting elk or shooting the Teak Nathan butt shot I just want to cramp a shaft half way up there butt and ask them how it feels. I tell every young hunter I can you do not have to shoot and I encourage them not to unless everything is right. I know things happen but we are usually our own worst enemy on make bad decisions

19-Oct-15
For the guys who said they would not feel worthy of having the rack, I have a question, you make a poor hit and decide to wait til morning, whether it be an elk or deer or whatever. You go back in morning and a bear or coyotes got to it first, would you still feel the same? Shawn

19-Oct-15
Shawn - I would. If I fail to recover meat but find the remains, it is a punched tag but a failure for me. Don't want a reminder around. That said, the closure from knowing is welcome.

19-Oct-15
I hit an elk further back than I would've liked and left it overnight. Based on how far it went and where ended up hitting it I'm fairly certain it died within an hour. I do not remember the exact temperature but I know it was above freezing but there was frost. There was no me spoilage at all. It was a mature 6 x 6.

Unfortunately I've had no luck finding the hunter. YET

19-Oct-15
Sorry Steve, not a failure at all. Sometimes you have to wait, bad hits happen and if you push an animal you may never recover any part of it. You do all the right things and you still feel it is a failure, sorry I don't get that. Shawn

19-Oct-15
Every wonder how many times the animals we DO kill were missed by others:)

Probably most!

19-Oct-15
"Every time I write a letter letting them know those of us who have elk hunted all our lives know there is no elk that will not spoil over night and I do not care how cold it is."

I have helped track, recover, break down, and pack out 3 bulls and 1 cow that were shot in the evening and not recovered until morning. All in late August and early September. Never lost an appreciable amount of meat on any of them.

19-Oct-15
Last two bulls I killed were left overnight in early Sept. due to less than ideal shot placement. I found both early the next morning and lost no meat. The hair on an early season elk is made to dissipate heat,not trap it. If you leave a bull out overnight in Nov. I would expect you to lose the meat. If you blow a gut shot bull out in front of you in the dark, your odds of ever finding him greatly diminish.

BTW, the one bull I shot was hit through both lungs from 19 yards. After watching him for two hours and unable to get close enough for another shot, I backed out and found him the next morning within ten yards of where I had last seen him. When I butchered him I found that the shoulder muscle sealed the entrance wound and the exit wound was sealed by stomach matter when the arrow exited out the diagphram. The lungs did not collapse, nor did I sever major blood vessels in the lungs. I'm convinced that he died from peritonitous after his stomach was punctured. I'm sure some won't believe me, I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't been the one to butcher it.

A lot can go wrong on a perfect seeming shot.

20-Oct-15
Gerald, I couldn't agree more!

I hit a cow elk on my second ever hunt, behind the front shoulder (perfectly broadside) and basically a ten ring. She ran off and after 45 minutes or so we got on the very limited blood trail. After losing blood after 100 yds or so and lack of daylight, we came back the next morning and found her 100 yds from where we left off. Again, entry was perfect. Exit looked like a gut shot. Did rib bone deflect my arrow or was she actually that quartered away? I think my arrow was re-directed. But, I've been wrong before.

20-Oct-15
We've lost some meat on a bull in ID left overnight Sept 22 or so. Night time temps in the 20s, frost every morning, but warmed up pretty good during the day.

Hit about 2 pm, not real well, hunter decided to back out come back in the morning. He didn't go far and must have died shortly after the hit. Found him around 7 am or so. Lost maybe 15-20 lbs near the hip socket on the side he was laying on. The rest was fine.

That near the socket is thick and hard to cool down to the core. The ground he was laying on had to be much warmer than the night air. But a good deal of the meat was still pretty warm. Those hides can hold in a great deal of heat.

20-Oct-15
Had a buddy shoot a cow elk and we couldn't find it until the next afternoon. Don't know when it died but it was bloated which happens quickly. Long story short the meat was perfect.

20-Oct-15
Agree with Bou'bound...

20-Oct-15
Unless it's a rack that has identifying characteristics, you'd only be guessing it was your lost elk. I would say there are many Bulls that are not recovered. Every time I look at it there would always be that question of is it really mine, I would not be comfortable with that. Make a bad shot and not recover the animal you don't deserve to call some rack found by another yours.

20-Oct-15
I made a gut shot at 8:30AM on a bull a few years ago. Waited till 2:00pm to track, looked till dark but didn't recover him. Went back the next morning and looked again, found him about 10:00AM and took all the meat except one rear quarter on which he had laid on. I ate it all and didn't notice anything wrong with it.

20-Oct-15
LBshooter, note that the 1/2 arrow I found with the elk was VERY unique - no chance someone will ever guess it - I have no doubt if someone ID's it that it is their elk.

20-Oct-15
I'm thinking the salvage of meat is dependent on a few things like when the animal actually died, did the morning sun warm up the carcass if it is in the open and where the hit is. I know my son and I killed a bull in Colorado on a cool evening at 5pm, we skinned it and quartered it on the spot. The next morning we went back for another load and I cut the horns off-I noticed I had some more neck meat under the skin yet so I peeled that off-it was spoiled already. Found out from the drop camp owner that the nape of the neck is where the spoiling will first start -he said if you ever get one at night and cant skin it all- at least do the neck and front shoulders- then prop the body or hind quarters off the ground with a 4-6 inch log -allowing a little air circulation. I did that exact thing in 2012 hunting by myself and left my gutted bull over night with no spoilage at all on a 35 degree night.

21-Oct-15
the neck sours first...thats a big 10 4 Mr Jim its the esophagus that does that ..I think adrenaline has alot to do with souring meat as well JMO

MikeC Hope the OP finds his man and he can get the rack to him without much hassle, I think that would be awesome for both partys Good luck Mr Don

21-Oct-15
Robb Facer, aka BULELK1, aka pleasedear.

Once again I am curious as to why you respond to almost all of my threads but yet continue to bash me whenever possible and send private messages and emails to lots of different people about me? I have not responded to At most a couple of your threads in over a decade and a half.

Please stop stalking me.

22-Oct-15
T've found critters that someone else killed. Let's face it, you do a last light shot and it runs off, you back out, and it rains overnight - GOOD LUCK finding that critter unless it piles up very shortly. Heck, even with a recovery dog (your best bet) the rain can wash all scent and sign out. You can do a shot first thing in the morning and have the rain wreck the trail. So I'm not going to rain (in a manner of speaking) on someone who took and made a good shot but for some reason other than lack of effort could not recover the animal. We all agree far from an ideal situation, but if it were my bull I'd want to know about it. Sometimes the trophy reminds you about things besides what a great hunt it was. Also, in nature nothing ever truly gets wasted. Don, you did a decent thing.

22-Oct-15
But Geezzz I have been banned so how can it be me?

So sorry to challenge your fragile ego but I respond to thread titles not the person starting the thread.

I respond on many, many threads period and will continue to do so for ever.

Good luck, Robb

24-Oct-15
To everyone else I am sorry to put this up but after 15 years of trying every possible solution to Robb's stalking I have decided to simply state the facts.

Robb Pat L. himself PM's me and told me you were banned because of numerous complaints.

Responding to a thread is one thing, stalking is another. From webster, stalking is:

"to follow, watch, and bother (someone) constantly"

Robb you have followed and bothered me for 15 years. You have a lengthy file on me (your words not mine). You know where, when and what I am hunting and if I am successful. You know about my divorce, where I live, when my divorce was final, etc. You follow my relationships, employment etc. You even have nicknames for me. You know what my rental vehicle looks like and claim to see my driving past you.

15 years ago we both attacked each other. Since then I ignored you for almost a decade.I sent you a book with a note as a peace offering and said sorry several times and took all responsibility for our past disagreements.

You have ever NEVER admitted ANY wrong doing or accepted any responsibility for any of your actions. I have given up trying to reason with you and I am now going to simply state the facts and not let you continue to stalk me.

You have made very odd statements elsewhere about my IP address and posts etc. To go to the extent of trying to research my IP address and link it with posts/threads (incorrectly) is not what a normal person would do.

Do you deny any of the above statements?

You are clearly stalking me.

24-Oct-15
Well... this thread just got weird.

24-Oct-15
super creepy

25-Oct-15
Extremely Creepy!

I am just thankful to you for not sending me this kinda Poor You Victim crap in PM's like you always do.

Now the whole world wide web can read this crap----apparently from your Diary.

Thank you for sharing----

Good luck, Robb

25-Oct-15
I've only been involved in a little over 100 archery elk kills, so maybe not as many as some others on this thread. Of those, I'm guessing around 20 were left overnight after being shot late in the evening, for one reason or another. We've never lost the meat on one recovered the next morning. On a couple we lost a little around a hip socket, maybe a little neck meat. The rest were all good eating.

Others who've tried to follow up too quickly in the evening after a marginal shot lose all of the elk. I hear the stories on a regular basis and learned my lesson decades ago.

My CO unit 2 bull was shot in the evening in very warm weather. Big, mature bull. I thought I'd made a good shot but because he spun so fast I wasn't sure. I made the decision to leave him. The temps never got below 50 that night, and by the time we recovered him the next morning it was t-shirt weather, probably 70.

Turns out my shot was much better than I'd originally thought and he'd died very quickly. We put up a tarp for shade and skinned him, expecting the worst, but the meat smelled fine. We separated and bagged the quarters, packed him out, and drove 90 miles to the nearest meat cooler. By the time we got him hung there it was 20 hours after I'd shot him, and the afternoon temp was high 80's. The best we could do on the drive was keep the windows down and the air moving over the meat in the back of my 4Runner.

After aging for 9 days, he was (is) one of the best-eating elk we've ever had. The meat is delicious, tender, great on the plate.

• Sitka Gear