Elkaddict 15-Oct-15
Ishpeming 15-Oct-15
SunnyInCO 15-Oct-15
Rut Nut 15-Oct-15
smarba 15-Oct-15
MallardSX2 15-Oct-15
Ridge Ghost 05-Nov-15
12-Oct-15
I'm sure there is a few of you here who use Fatbikes in the mountains.....and some who just use Fatbikes in general. I have high end TT and Road bikes and am now in the market for a Fat bike. I don't plan to spend a ton of money, but maybe between $1500-$4,000. I will definitely just ride in in the winter time, but will also use it in the fall to get off road and save some time in the mountains. What do you all suggest?

12-Oct-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Saw this one in Scheels.

12-Oct-15
I can't suggest a bike but strongly suggest wearing a helmet for anybody going off-road. I was riding out on my mountain bike in the dark one night this elk season and my back tire shot out on a loose rock. I landed on my head, then on my ribs.

Knocked me out briefly, but the only long-term damage was to two ribs. It's been a month and they still hurt.

The bike went into a tree and my bow was ok. I feel really lucky that nothing more than ribs were damaged. Now looking at a fat bike to replace my standard mountain bike.

12-Oct-15
+1 on the helmet. Even the slow-motion spills can come with a whack to the head.

My mountain bike doesn't move without me wearing a helmet.

I'd check Craigslist for a fat bike.

12-Oct-15
My opinion is brand matters the least for a fat bike vs other disciplines, especially your TT and road bike. I just picked up a Specialized Fat Boy but do not see much of a difference vs other brands. As you already know, stay away from Walmart/Target/Sports Authority bikes.

As far as hunting themed accessories, would be interested in seeing if anyone has experience.

12-Oct-15
I would imagine there are lots of good reviews and comparisons on the internet by bike enthusiasts.

12-Oct-15
I would add to Jaquomo's post. Don't forget a pair of clear safety glasses or goggles, some form of eye protection. The tips of those branches are especially hazardous at night.

12-Oct-15
The Cogburn CB4 is the ultimate fat tire hunting bike. I know a guy who owns one and he raves about it.

12-Oct-15
I had a Yamaha Big Wheel for a few years, that thing got me anywhere I needed. Good luck and be safe!

12-Oct-15
"I don't plan to spend a ton of money, but maybe between $1500-$4,000"

What the heck does the primo bike cost 20k?? Good Lord!

12-Oct-15
$4000 for a bicycle? Who in the Cowboy Hell do you think You are trying to impress??

-Joe

12-Oct-15
Ok a guy talks of spending 4k for a bicycle gets ripped on.

But it's OK to spend 1800.00 on a bow when you can buy one at Dicks, bass pro for 300.00.

It's his/her money why waste the energy worrying how someone else spends their hard earned cash

12-Oct-15
The Cogburn I posted above goes for like $2200. The store I saw it in had it displayed with a heavy duty bicycle trailer along with the bow holder. I think I'd rather pull my pack and bow than ride with it on my back.

I have no experience with these bikes, tho.

12-Oct-15
Depending where you will ride, the new 3" bikes may be a better option than the full 4+ fat bikes.

12-Oct-15
2k will get you a nice fat bike. Fat bikes are all heavy at least for now so spending extra to shave ounces isn't really worth it. I had at least 4K in my last good mountain bike. The one I have now only cost 2k but I don't ride like I used to.

12-Oct-15
Fat bikes are like any other bike, spend the money if you want light weight. I have seen 21# fat bikes for $5500, but not sure that is what you want to elk hunt with. Specialized (a brand I sell, I have a bike shop) makes a very nice one with a carbon fork and hydraulic disc brakes for $2100 (2015 model). It weighs just under 33# in a medium frame. Many full suspension mt bikes weigh that much or more at that price range.

WapitiBob mentioned the new 3"+ Fatties, that might be an option. Get to a good shop, not Dick's or Sports Authority and take a look and ride one.

And wear a helmet! I personally know of several people that have some serious accidents going 8-10 mph with many stitches and concussions. Do it!

13-Oct-15
What is the big deal with fat bikes? I see them all over now.

Every subaru I was behind this summer had at least one strapped to the rear rack lol.

13-Oct-15
I was wondering the same thing Julius. There is a shop that rents them for $30 a day. Gonna rent one next summer and find out for myself. I'm a little skeptical.

13-Oct-15
I have used the Cogburn. The fat tires make it easier to ride in loose sand or gravel and snow. I could get a deal on it but cash is too tight right now.

There are lighter fat bikes on the market but that is up to the individual if it matters.

13-Oct-15
Guys everything is relative.......I have a $60,000 Diesel siting in the driveway that got less than 3,000 miles on it this year other than the two trips I'll make out west for elk....I've got a $10k TT pedal bike in the basement that got 5,000 miles on it this summer alone. I love to ride my bikes. It keeps me mountain ready year around, keeps me in great shape. I don't golf, bowl, or go to the bars.

The fat tire bike I will ride in the snow all winter long and I'll use in the mountains hunting.

Yes to the helmet. I won't ride around the block without a helmet.

13-Oct-15
SunnyinCO, what do you think of the Fatboy? I'm a Trek guy, buy have zero issue with Specialized, that one is definitely on my radar.

13-Oct-15
Ran into a fella last month riding one of those bikes in the Medicine Bowl area in Wyoming on a 2 track just plodding along. He said he rides that thing everywhere and biked in from Douglas which was maybe 40 or 50 miles away. Looked like zero fun to me peddling up those hills in sandy or rocky spots but that guy was smiling as he peddled away. Must be something to it.

13-Oct-15
killinstuff,

they are 1x10 or 2x10 geared. Pretty easy to pedal and a cushy ride!

13-Oct-15
In National Forest can you ride these bikes wherever you physically can or are you restricted to trails/roads that are specifically signed to allow bikes?

13-Oct-15
Everywhere excepting trails that have bikes excluded.

13-Oct-15
A fat bike will get you an approximation of a double suspension ride without the complexity or hassle of suspension. That being said, they are heavy and slow, so I would definitely consider a double suspension bike as an option for its greater speed and range.

When it comes to bikes, half of what you are buying is the equipment on the bike. There are quite a few ways to cut corners (cheap headsets, bottom brackets) that your average buyer wouldn't have a clue about at purchase, but would realize after heavy use when said part wore out.

Look at the frame warranty. Good companies have them lifetime, and the company has been in biz a while so you know it means something.

That being said, if it is just a way to get back into the mountains, find one with a mid-level Shimano components, especially shifting) from a reputable (read bike) dealer and you shouldn't go too wrong.

13-Oct-15
Elkaddict: Just picked it up a month ago so do not have much time on the saddle but I really like it. I have no time yet in the mountains, only on my local singletrack sandy trails. I am a Specialized guy as my preferred LBS is a Concept store here in Colorado (and sponsors my team which does not hurt). I actually bought off an employee who built it up with 1x10 Shimano Ultegra components. The bike is lighter than you would think, probably around 28lbs...about the same weight as my Epic FS mtb.

What state do you live/ride in?

14-Oct-15
Shane, thanks! I got down to Erik's last night and rode a 2015 and 2016 Fatboy. They were SRAM though, not Ultegra.......I really enjoyed the bike. Put about 15 minutes of hills, sidehills, curbs, and everything else I could find.....amazing. I live in Wisconsin. I'll be out to Georgetown this summer to do the Guanella Pass race, Evergreen for the Triple Bypass, and Boulder for Ironman. I have an appt. at the LBS tomorrow night to ride some Trek and they also have the Fatboys in stock so I'll ride them again.

14-Oct-15
Shane I forgot to ask a couple of questions:

1) 2015 Fatboys have 2x10 gearing..I think I would wan that for the mountains? The 2016 have 1x10

2) The 2015 has grip shifters and the 2016 has thumb shifters spaced about 3/4" in an offset stack pattern....would this be inconvenient in the mountains and/or with gloves on? The grip shifters seem cheap and kid like, but also seem logical......either way I know it's not my Di2, lol.

Thanks

14-Oct-15

3dvapor's embedded Photo
3dvapor's embedded Photo
Had these electric assist bikes last year. The guy said theyll go up like 18degree hills. 20mph plus. The trailer was an option as well.

14-Oct-15
Elkaddict, where about in Wisconsin? I'm in south east wisconsin and am getting into mountain biking. picked up a 29er but a fatbike might be next...

14-Oct-15
Zuba I'm in the Eau Claire area!

I ride a TT and roadie all summer, but this Fattie has my interest!

14-Oct-15
Ok- I'll ask: What does TT stand for?

14-Oct-15
My guess is TBM that has been neutered TT Ta Ta

14-Oct-15
TT = Time Trial. Triathlon bike.

Les, post up a pic of that bad boy. It's a cool looking bike!

14-Oct-15
Specialized has come out with a whole line-up of "peddle assisted" bikes. Basically a little electric motor to assist you while you peddle. This would be an interesting addition to a hunting mode of transportation and will be gaining in popularity for the general population. I have not rode one yet however still intriguing and a possible replacement to an ATV for some people.

Kept in mind that any "Wilderness Areas" are off-limits to motorized modes of transportation including bikes.

Elkaddict: The guy I bought my '15 off of was a custom build like I mentioned. He did put something like a 48 tooth on the back so that should be enough...have not tested in those conditions yet. For snow and "hunting", I would prefer a 1x so not having to deal with a FD or a possible mechanical issue. I am not a SRAM guy but the grip shift could be much better if riding with heavy gloves but overall I prefer Shimano for performance and reliability. I have rode with heavy gloves on a different mtb and you may miss a shift here or there but I do not think its a big deal. It's been in the 80's here so have not tried with the new Fatboy.

14-Oct-15

Elkaddict's embedded Photo
Elkaddict's embedded Photo
Nick is right on it is a Time Trial bike. I race a lot of triathlons and some Time Trials, etc.. I have no idea how to ski, but I signed up for the Birkebiener race here in February.....basically a marathon distance of skate skiing. Right after that they have a Fat Tire race on the same snow trail course. I'll be racing a Fat tire for that!

14-Oct-15

PO Cedar's embedded Photo
I bought the State brand "Monolith"...singlespeed...500.00..

14-Oct-15

15-Oct-15
Sorry, I couldn't resist, and most of my thoughts have already been addressed. But I too was surprised when elkaddict mentioned $1,500 to $4,000 for a bicycle. But as Kelly mentioned, it is his money he can do whatever with it, and I truly believe in that and I am not here to condemn that, but rather the part that threw me, well there were a couple parts that threw me, but the primary one, was before elkaddict mentioned the price range. It was, I don't want to spend a ton of money, then threw in the $1,500 to $4,000. That is where I kind of said, huh. Meaning, personally, when he said he didn't want to spend a ton of money, I was thinking $150 to $400. Then, the whole, it is relative thing comes into play.

Regardless, good luck.

15-Oct-15
Hey Todd, makes sense. For the most part Fatbikes start around $1500, and can go up to $10,000 or more. With the research I've been doing it looks like I will spend right around $2k maybe a little more. I guess to me that's not a ton of money to get me where I want to go in the woods, maintain my fitness, and have fun....however I can see where some think it's crazy :) and that's ok also.

15-Oct-15
Check out the Framed Minnesota bikes from The House. Lots of choices starting at $800 or so. I have ridden a fat bike for 5 years now. Great for backcountry especially soft soil and sand. Much safer than a skinny tire in these conditions. And please do not under any circumstance ride without a helmet and safety glasses

15-Oct-15
For those of you who are thinking: "Who would spend $xxxx amount on a bike". I ride a lot and at a competitive level and can tell you it is the best way to get and stay in shape. Cycling builds up endurance like no other activity can. This is very helpful if you put in a lot of miles elk hunting or any other activity an dis much easier on the body than running and more convenient than finding a pool to swim (if you do not have a pool in your backyard).

As for the money aspect, how many people have gym memberships, personal training, P90X video's, Harley's, $1k + bows or guns? Cycling can be done every day of the week year round. It is more of a lifestyle vs a "thing".

Just my $0.02

15-Oct-15
Thanks guys. I probably couldn't afford the front wheel on that Trek! You're right though- looks cool! :)

15-Oct-15
We're getting WAY off track with the cost here.

Bikes are just like anything. There are $300 bows that will get the job done and there are $300 golf club sets (I would guess - I don't golf). But both of those are rather low end and ultimately will leave one disappointed.

Anyone who is remotely seriously into cycling realizes that $1K is absolute minimum to get anything remotely decent; anything from box stores is simply junk.

Bicycle prices have leapt in the past couple of decades; higher end road/triathlon and mountain bikes are $3-$8K (or more). Just like bows, it is possible to save $ by picking up something used.

Just like anything else, technology costs $. It wasn't too long ago when top end sights for bows were under $100; quivers maybe $75; bows maybe $500. Times have changed.

So back on track: would a FAT BIKE be a great hunting tool?

As stated before, bicycles can be ridden anywhere in National Forest (not Wilderness), even without trails. However, standard mountain bikes are very limited as to what type of terrain is feasible. It's my understanding that Fat Bikes can negotiate a whole lot more, thus the intrigue.

I'd like to try one, but thus far the problem I've seen is that the places I envision being able to ride a Fat Bike here in New Mexico are open to ATVs, which defeats the purpose of cycling. Areas that have closed logging roads that are non-motorized only I think a FB would be ideal.

It's on my list to test ride one just to see for myself. I've been holding off, as I suspect I'll like it and then need to fork out $$$. I already own (and regularly ride/race) a quality carbon triathlon bike and full suspension mountain bike. A Fat Bike may indeed be next.

Carl

15-Oct-15
I always bought a bike from walmart brand new from wal-mart for 125$ and took it to colorado....Worked pretty well!

05-Nov-15
Bringing this topic back to the top. I sometimes use my full suspension mountain bike to hunt. I haven't had to use it in snow or mud (mostly just in September) and typically just take it on gated logging roads. These roads aren't very sandy, some are graveled but not bad. In these conditions, is there any real advantage to a fat bike over what I currently have? I could see using a fat bike in snow or going cross-country, but it seems to me that a lighter bike with normal tires would scoot up a dirt logging road faster.

• Sitka Gear