JDECK 13-Oct-15
Twinetickler 13-Oct-15
Twinetickler 13-Oct-15
rershooter 13-Oct-15
rershooter 14-Oct-15
Twinetickler 15-Oct-15
NoWiser 15-Oct-15
12-Oct-15
I am looking to plan a hunt for the fall of 2016 for my Dad. He has always taken care of me and I want to repay him while he is still able to get around good and is in good shape. We have both archery hunted 61 in CO the last two falls, he drew last year I drew this year. We had a blast and both took nice bulls. We want to do it again, but won't draw again in this lifetime haha. Is there any trespass fee archery hunts or unguided hunts that would be great archery hunt for under 5k? My Dad is 60 and I would love to see him have a great hunt. Anywhere in the western states we would be interested in.

Thanks!

Bo

13-Oct-15
NM LO tags for 36 with license will be just under that. Steep country but lots of action. Bulls will be 280 with a few over 300. Gila units with better genetics will be close to 6K with license.

13-Oct-15
You cloud hunt in Colorado guided for that much at some outfitters.

13-Oct-15
Will it just be him hunting or both of you?

Are you looking to spend under 5k each or for the both of you?

Do you have any points anywhere else?

How many WY points do you have?

13-Oct-15
Idyll has some good questions above.

I know there are lots of CO landowner tags in decent units for under $2500 for archery.

You could go guided for less than that in CO in OTC units. With some homework, CO OTC can turn out good Bulls and great hunting.

NM has no points so you could put in together for any number of hints there and DIY for less.

With only a few points in WY you can pull some good hunts. I think you can get a general tag with no points. A number of outfitters offer bow hunts in the wilderness for around 5K. Some really good bow hunts on general units if you can get in a ways.

MT has great elk and easy to draw a tag.

ID has draw and OTC hunts with no points.

Might be worth a subscription to Huntin Fool and Eastmans as a starting point.

13-Oct-15
My pop (now 80) and I have been hunting for ~$1500 (tags included) each out west for the past 20 years. Get yourself a good tent and camping gear and hunt MT (lottery but everyone gets a license for now) or CO (OTC units or draw) or ID or ...

You may not get a big bull each year, but you will get to spend 1-2 weeks in the backcountry with your dad each fall.

13-Oct-15
"but you will get to spend 1-2 weeks in the backcountry with your dad each fall."

That right there is the reason to NOT postpone anything. All I have of my Dad is memories when we should be together making memories instead.

Whatever you chose, make it happen. Nobody knows what the next day (hunting season) has in store for them.

13-Oct-15
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. This would be hopefully for both of us, but if it would mean a much better hunt with a legitimate chance at a 300+ bull for my Dad I would be happy to call, pack, and video him hunting even if the trespass fee is a little steeper I would love for him to have a great hunt on minimal pressured bulks. We both just burned all our CO points, and recently burned Utah points. We only have one point each for WY and are looking close at a general license up there. I like the idea of a reasonable landowner tag in NM or CO. Any of you ever hunted with Jim Bair in CO unit 444 on an archery elk hunt? Thanks again guys!

13-Oct-15
"Whatever you chose, make it happen. Nobody knows what the next day (hunting season) has in store for them."

Boom.^^^^^^^^This is it.

13-Oct-15
How about a drop camp hunt? I hunted with Larry Amos of Winterhawk Outfitters in Colorado some years back. They hunt the Flat Top Wilderness unit with over the counter tags. Plenty of elk. Not a good place for a really big bull but really good if any elk is okay with you. They have wall tents, stoves, cots, etc. set up in good locations and they pack you in on horse and leave you to hunt on your own. Winterhawk has a good website that you can easily google.

13-Oct-15
I would look into land owner tags in quality units in NM.

13-Oct-15
No question...buy a NM landowner tag for your dad if you want to go DIY.

13-Oct-15
Ollie,I bumped into four guys 2 weeks ago in St Lou who had just come back from a hunt with Winterhawk and they were livid!I'd check recent references with whoever

13-Oct-15
try Washington... over the counter non-res tag, 497.00 Dept of wildlife vec. pass, 35.00 camping, free (motels will cost ya) gas.. depend how far ya have to come.. well under 5K total cost...

have to chose east or west side of the cascades... east side, rocky mountain elk, mostly spike only, elk will answer and come to calls, lots of elk, open timber and canyons... west side, Roosevelt elk, worlds largest elk, 3 points on one side min, elk don't talk much but may come to a cow call, not as many elk, dense timber and brush, rain

13-Oct-15
That WinterHawk trip sounds awesome! Have to do that one day.

13-Oct-15
"four guys 2 weeks ago in St Lou who had just come back from a hunt with Winterhawk and they were livid"

I wonder if they are on the reference list for Winterhawk?

Sorry I didn't have anything specific for you Walter, but it sounds like you guys have had some great hunts together already. Good luck.

13-Oct-15
Landowner vouchers in unit 61 are listed for around 5k.

13-Oct-15
Jdeck I would love to get back to 61. Any info on a reputable source for a LO voucher in 61?

13-Oct-15
For those of you that have hunted or are familiar with NM, what are some of the better units or LO voucher options out there? I have always wanted to hunt NM but just don't know enough about it. I am also happy to share any info I learned on 61 or Utah if anybody is interested.

13-Oct-15
Pm sent

14-Oct-15
Pm again

15-Oct-15
PM's returned

Any other suggestions?

15-Oct-15
Wyoming general special tag. Do your research and you will have a blast with enough money left over to take your significant other somewhere warm in February.

• Sitka Gear