Mike Vines 14-Oct-15
kellyharris 14-Oct-15
marktm250 14-Oct-15
HUNT MAN 15-Oct-15
Mike Vines 15-Oct-15
14-Oct-15

Mike Vines's embedded Photo
Mike Vines's embedded Photo
I have never hunted elk, but just spent 2 weeks on a DIY moose hunt. I understand the physical differences in the 2 different hunts, and have no problem adapting to the rigors of mountain hunting. I have a Military back ground and willingness to trudge on, no matter the circumstance.

2013 found me on a DIY hunt in Wyoming that ended with a massive (to me) 4x4 mulie that I shot at 13 feet with my longbow. Scored just over 137". I'm not into size, but a good friend "made" me measure him.

That hunt fostered a burning desire inside of me to get back to the Western Mountains. Now that moose hunting is off my (rhymes with) bucket list, I NEED to get back to hunting the west, and elk it is going to be. I bumped into 3 when I hunted in Wyoming, and now I'm building points to hunt there, but to feed my addiction, I don't want to wait. 2016 is going to find me in Montana.

Now, with all that said, can anyone recommend an area to me to start my search? Yes, I know Montana has bears and wolves. That does not bother me whatsoever, and I fully understand the "once it's on the Internet, it's there forever" thing, so please feel free to either PM or email me. My email is [email protected]

I'm not looking for your "Honey Hole", I'm just looking for a little guidance from you MT veterans, for a guy from Michigan to do a 2 week solo DIY hunt with the longbow and wood arrows.

I've also posted this on the Montana page, but I believe this page will get more traffic.

Also, while I have your ear, does anyone know if a guy can hunt on the Crow Indian Reservation? I found a list of phone #'s on the Montana Fish and Game site, but the number is no longer in use.

Anyway, thank you all in advance. I hope to hear from you soon.

Attached is a pic of my 2013 DIY mulie from Wyoming.

14-Oct-15
I would reach out to Mulepower here on Bowsite.

14-Oct-15

marktm250's Link
This book may help you get started. Pick a few areas, get some maps and then hit the ground.

I hunted MT for the first time guided this year in the Crazies and will likely go DIY back to MT or CO next year.

Did not see any grizz or wolves in the Crazies but the elk were certainly there.

15-Oct-15
I would ask Mixed Bag and Rut Nut. Hunt

15-Oct-15
I appreciate the replies, emails and PM's. Thank you. Please keep em coming. The 11 months leading up to a hunt are usually the most fun. They move at a snails pace FOREVER, then before you know it, it's a mad scramble to make sure you have everything.

Oh how I love this part of the hunt.

• Sitka Gear