Jim Leahy 16-Oct-15
thomas 16-Oct-15
thomas 16-Oct-15
Mossyhorn 16-Oct-15
bou'n08 16-Oct-15
Mossyhorn 16-Oct-15
WapitiBob 17-Oct-15
15-Oct-15
Ok, so I know there is a topic on here addressing a similar situation for 6 points, but I'm in a smaller boat, as my group of three people have three points each. After hunting Colorado otc three times with mixed results we are ready to give Wyoming a shot. With point creep, we will never catch up in any state so we are going to burn points, when we can. My main question is should we go general unit? Or is there something better we could possibly get with 3? We would be looking for DIY, maybe - possibly a drop camp. We are all fortyish is good shape. I would like to stay out of grizzly areas, especially areas known to have an established population. Any suggestions are welcome and PM's if there is anything you don't want to broadcast. I'm coming from the east coast, so scouting will be Google earth and calling DNR and forestry personnel. Thanks for any suggestions.

15-Oct-15
I'm in the same position this year as well. I'm thinking about burning my points on a general unit, but I would like to hear any suggestions on LE units for 3 points? My main reason for picking a general unit is I would like to go back in a couple yrs to the same unit/area general units.

15-Oct-15
Tough call. You can chase point creep for years and finally draw a decent unit in a decade or more, only to have it ruined by a fire a month before your hunt. Or, you could have the hunt of a lifetime with memories that last until the day you die.

On the other hand, you could hunt a general unit every 2-3 years and have a pile of great hunts before you are even close to drawing your LE tag.

I'm stressing over the same decision right now with 2 points. I'm thinking the wise thing to do is burn them on a general unit. The preference point system is such a drag for anyone that didn't get the memo the first year of the program...

15-Oct-15
Wish I could help out what to do with 3 points but cannot decide on what to do with max points? I have 10 & still in a quandary as to what to do with them? (grin) I'd like to consider applying this year in WY. I've thought about a couple of units but still up in the air?

I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing?

ElkNut1

15-Oct-15
Paul you are nuts for not applying with max points. I hate to bum my odds at all but you guys are nuts for not applying every year and just buying points, unless you don't plan on hunting a particular unit. I'm also of the mind if you aren't max points or real close it doesn't make sense to hold them forever. Have multiple hunts and fun. Tomorrow's not a given, it's a gift. Do what you can while you can.

15-Oct-15
LOL, you're right, I am a bit nuts! Thing is I can elk hunt here in ID every year so it's tough to concentrate on a particular unit in WY. I really need to do it as I'm not getting any younger! (grin) For now terrain is a non issue, there's no where that would hold me back from heading to once I knew bulls were around. Now to select a possible unit? I admit I haven't done my research because of being content with our ID hunts.

ElkNut1

15-Oct-15
Go GEN but only 1 guy has a tag per year, max of two.

15-Oct-15
Paul- Research and apply. H@ll, I will recommend a unit or two after a little research. As Les stated, it doesn't get any better than the position you are in. Consider it like this Paul, apply in the toughest draw units with no wilderness. Consider it a lottery when you cash in. If you don't apply, you have zero chance.

When you decide to get more serious, you can look at a unit with slightly better odds to cash in.

High class problem to have.

To get back on track. I know what I would do with 3 PP's. Are you willing to apply in special draw? IE More expensive tag?

15-Oct-15
Wapitibob- do you mean that all three of us couldn't draw with three each?

Z- yes, I'd be willing to apply in a special draw assuming the price is around 1k or less. Would it be a LE tag? Or gen?

Thanks for the input.

15-Oct-15
Z Barebow, thanks. Can't debate your reasoning! (grin) This is the year! (grin)

ElkNut1

15-Oct-15
No I mean don't all three have tags the same year. You will undoubtedly hunt in at least pairs. So the caller loses a hunt day. A 10 day hunt with a caller and shooter becomes a 5 day hunt for each, in an unfamiliar area. Add a third wheel and it's worse. It will work with two tags but it will be tough with three. I've seen it get done but going back on year two to a familiar unit really helps. Just something to consider for spreading out the opportunity you have vs dumping all your points in one year.

15-Oct-15
Ahhh, I understand. Well, we kinda hunt together some, and separate out some days., I guy hunts solo 90% of the time ( his preference). I just don't think any of us wasn't to sit out a year. Best case would be only 2 kill, and be able to pack out meat. But truthfully we look at success as a team, so if only one kills we'd be happy. And coming from 24 hour drive away, a 3 man team makes driving easier. If we found a great unit, I wouldn't mind getting the " special tag" to be able to go back the next year. But your point is well taken. Could 2 of us burn points, all 3 apply ( 6 points total). While one holds points for the following year for all 3 of us to pile in on? Just a thought. Thanx again for the input.

15-Oct-15
a bit of a detraction from the original question, but how do you apply and build points? I'm from Utah and not as familiar with WY system. If it's possible to draw on a general tag and not lose your bonus points then elkaddict is correct, it's crazy not just to apply every year and build points.

15-Oct-15
The guaranteed draw and build points will came to an end. The additional 300 1st choice GEN apps this year took half of the 2nd choice tags.

Ben, apply hard to draw 1st choice then Gen as 2nd and draw the 2nd choice. Points are burned on 1st choice only.

16-Oct-15
I understand the reasoning of not having 3 tags, but then the guy without a tag you misses an elk season! We almost went with that tactic 2 years ago but I talked everyone into getting their own tag. We killed a bull on day one then another on day two. We tagged out with a third elk on day 10. As awesome as it was to kill right of the bat, if it weren't for the third tag, we would not have gotten to know the unit so well and learned as much as we did about elk hunting. The year is way too long waiting for the next elk season for me to go without a tag, unless my partner draws a coveted tag, then I would go along without a tag. This year we had a extremely frustrating, tough hunt but finally got into a nice herd and both got shots at bulls with in 30 minutes. It can happen fast when it happens.

16-Oct-15
I think I would rather hunt the GEN and be able to learn the unit and come back in a couple yrs. I guess the only way I would pick a LE unit is if it were so much better hunting but I don't know that? Also I wouldn't be opposed to hunting the grizzly units. I think the better general units are in this area vs other parts of the state? Some of these units don't have wilderness so NR could hunt them

16-Oct-15
I have 4 point in Wyoming (non Res) I have been able to hunt Colorado in unit 23/24 with out any points as well as unit 75- but both with rifle since archery season interferes with my Wisconsin Bear guide service. I have to say I have had quality Colorado hunts and killed some nice bulls-all DIY or drop camps in area that require 1 or no points at all. I was going to wait for a hard to draw area in Wyoming-but decided to cash in for a general tag next fall in an area that still produces big bulls- its a tough call but I'd rather be elk hunting than collecting points for a hunt that may or may not ever happen- you have to hunt elk when your health is good!

16-Oct-15
i agree! cant kill em from the couch collecting points

16-Oct-15
So is the consensus that the better general units are the units surrounding Yellowstone or in that area? I've looked at the bighorn general units but from what I read there's a lot more pressure from lots of hunters there but idk?

16-Oct-15
Wapitibob, a special general tag wasn't even 100% with 0 points this year was it? The way I see it anyway. So doesn't that mean the whole drawing a gen tag as a 2nd choice and building points thing is over now?

16-Oct-15
So how accurate is the Wyoming dnr grizzly area map? Let's say I wanted to go south of Yellowstone in 102. I'm ok with a "chance" a stray bear would be there, but I don't want to be in an aear that's not if you see a frizz, but how many. I know I'm a chicken, but elk hunting is tough enough,much less always looking over my shoulder all day! LOL!

16-Oct-15
I don't know about Wyoming but I lived and hunted a lot for 5 years in Alaska. Never once did I have a run in with a grizz/brown bear. I saw them but never had an issue. You could go on a hunt in Wyoming and see several, or you could hunt for years and never see one. Do all the right things and be safe and don't fret about it.

17-Oct-15

EDIT; Mossy, I misspoke earlier. 1st choice special GEN was 100%, 2nd choice GEN was a little under 50% when it all said and done. You are correct, the guaranteed "point and draw gen" ended in 2015.

• Sitka Gear