Grunt-N-Gobble 19-Oct-15
Ermine 19-Oct-15
Ermine 19-Oct-15
TEmbry 19-Oct-15
Grunt-N-Gobble 19-Oct-15
oldgoat 20-Oct-15
bowhunter 20-Oct-15
16-Oct-15
So I'm thinking about which tarp and/or tent to get for my hunt next year. I really like the size and features of the Megatarp plus the ability to have a stove to keep warm and dry off any wet gear.

But I'm wondering about condensation buildup since the tarp doesn't have any vents to speak of. Now my plan is to use the annex most of the time, unless it's extremely warm.

So, those with experience using tarps like this, how do you handle the condensation? Or is it a nonissue?

17-Oct-15
For me the condensation is a non issue. I've been using Kifaru shelters for years. I have a sawtooth and a tipi.

Yea they will get condensation (single walled shelter). But it's never a issue for me. You can use a stove to dry it out. Or a small towel to wipe down.

Condensation is hit or miss. Quite a few variables. Sometimes it can be bad other times there is no condensation what so ever.

Seems like I have had just as much condensation in double walled tents.

17-Oct-15
I was hoping you'd chime in Justin, as I've looked at the old threads and have read several of your posts.

Which stove would you recommend for the Megatarp?

17-Oct-15
A medium or small I would say. I've never used a mega tarp

But have used a super tarp and tipis and sawtooth

17-Oct-15
A medium or small I would say. I've never used a mega tarp

But have used a super tarp and tipis and sawtooth

17-Oct-15
Never had real problems with condensation. As mentioned it will happen with a single wall, but I either burn it off with a stove or setup in areas where it will be minimized.

I generally use a small box stove, but will probably be using a 18" round titanium stove in the near future.

18-Oct-15
I used the super tarp this season without the annex. It was not a problem for me at all. Very little condensation.

19-Oct-15
I have only used my megatarp in September, but never really had condensation issues. It is open on one side, so that helps moisture evaporate.

As mentioned, a stove also helps. I have a 12" cylinder stove by Titanium Goat and it's a good size for the megatarp.

19-Oct-15
I picked up an 18" cylinder from Lite outdoors this summer and it works well. Seems like they are all pretty similar but I liked the door and vent system.

19-Oct-15
This is all good info. I appreciate the replies.

I posted basically the same question over on Rokslide to an older post and not one reply in a couple days.

Anyways, hopefully Kifaru gets these back in stock after the 1st of the year. Or sooner. Or maybe I can find one for sale @ a good price.

19-Oct-15
You hope kifaru gets what back in stock?

19-Oct-15
You hope kifaru gets what back in stock?

Mostly All their stuff is built to order. They don't have much "in stock." All built to order

19-Oct-15
I've used the super tarp pretty extensively now for the past two years... It has it's advantages as well as disadvantages. Camping where mosquitos are horrible (Alaska Summer weekend hikes) is downright miserable. You have to bring a bug bivy and remain inside it at all times essentially. I've also had days where moisture and condensation was a real issue (practically raining inside the tarp. It wasn't a deal breaker as I use a little 6 oz TiGoat bivy to protect my bag from too much moisture but it was an annoyance for sure.

That said, I'll continue to use it over a pup tent. The room you gain is ridiculous and at half to one third the carrying weight. I also like NOT having a floor as it makes it easy to not worry about muddy boots and such when crawling in. That said, if you are camping in a swampy/boggy area (think Alaskan Tundra) then it can be annoying NOT having the floor.

It's definitely not a perfect shelter but it has it's uses and is a great shelter. I think a guy needs 3-5 shelters total to cover the total range of possibilities.

19-Oct-15
Their website says they are sold out. They have a link to leave your contact info to notify you upon availability.

I have no plans on hunting Alaska anytime soon, so no worries about mosquitos there. Just western elk/muledeer hunting.

20-Oct-15
Yeah, I thought the sold out thing was weird on the Kifaru webpage too, haven't seen that on any other item on there!

20-Oct-15

• Sitka Gear