DonVathome 21-Oct-15
DonVathome 21-Oct-15
Jaquomo 21-Oct-15
orionsbrother 22-Oct-15
BULELK1 22-Oct-15
GotBowAz 22-Oct-15
DonVathome 24-Oct-15
20-Oct-15
This year on my elk hunt in New Mexico I got a good hard dose of reality and true mental toughness.

I was 3 miles as the crow flies from the trailhead. I stayed in all day and covered some ground chasing elk back-and-forth. I wore the wrong pair of boots a rookie mistake and had blisters on both feet.

I was feeling tired and hungry.

Midday and in the evening I ran into a hunter I will never forget. He was 60 or 70 and had knee surgery four weeks ago. He's coming up on a hip replacement. He walks very slow with a stick and it looked painful. He was back in there with me chasing elk.

When darkness fell I had an hour-long hike out I was not looking forward to. Based on how long it took him to get in I'm guessing he had a minimum of three hours probably more like four to get out. He started at 4:30 AM that morning.

I saw him back in there the next evening too. This guy really gave it heck, and was far tougher, stronger and had more mental toughness than anyone I've seen in a long time.

My hat is off to him and I will remember meeting him every time I'm feeling tired and weak.

20-Oct-15
My hat is off to him too. Just had antelope steak and eggs for supper and my knees hurt just thinking about this ! :)

20-Oct-15
tell us you kind of sort of were checking on his whereabouts every now and then.

20-Oct-15
What a powerful and addictive drug this thing we call elk hunting is. Good for him!

20-Oct-15
Was on an elk hunt with a friend a week ago, an old dude above treeline, said he was 80, had a 14 year old horse. Packed in all alone. Tell me he wasnt tough!

20-Oct-15
I have a good friend who's older. I was on an elk hunt with him a few years ago. He doesn't bowhunt so it wasn't as rigorous as what Don is talking about.

But...his hip replacement needed to be replaced. The metal shaft that extended into his femur was loose. From time to time when it was quiet, I could hear it click when he moved.

If I watched out of the corner of my eye, I'd catch him with a tight lipped grimace occasionally, but he never complained. Not once. And I had to practically threaten to hit him with a rock to get him to let me carry some of his gear.

My wife frequently accuses me of being a stubborn jackass, but I've got nothing on him. I aspire to having a fraction of his grit.

20-Oct-15
And then there is Paul@thefort....

'nuff said

Go Paul

20-Oct-15
Paul Navarre.... But he's only 75 and a cancer survivor..

This season a group of guys from WI were camped near my base camp. One was only 64 but looked 80, stringy like a piece of jerky. He had a prosthetic arm from shoulder down to hold his bow with a special fitting on the end that he crafted himself.

Every morning he got up at 4:00 with the young guys and hiked 4-5 miles up into the wilderness. They would come out for mid-day, then hike back in, not as far, in the afternoon. He hung right there with them every day for two weeks straight.

Another guy camped up the road was 66. A real stud. He was doing the severe daily hikes too. He told me he had to miss a weekend of hunting to go to Tahoe for the Ironman. When I talked to him after that he was bummed because he "only" finished second, so he didn't qualify for the Worlds in Kona.

Made me feel like a weenie. I'm 61 with a metal hip and two cracked ribs from a mountain bike crash early in the hunt, so I was only hiking in a mile and a half or so for each am and pm hunt because I was concerned about getting one out alone any further in with my sore ribs. These tough guys.....

20-Oct-15
Very cool. An inspiration to all of us.

21-Oct-15
He is a perfect example of still 'having the heart & spirit' to push himself thru discomfort and pain to hopefully squeeze in that 1 more elk hunt.

I personally just got home from another solo Wyo elk hunt and did 11.82 miles in one day, hunting up/in, harvesting, boning out, hiking out to my truck to exchange back pack for pack frame and mule cart, back in to harvest site and packing out my elk.

I can relate to this fellow you speak of----

Good luck, Robb

21-Oct-15
60 or 70 is old? That's funny! I used to think that too before I got there:)

21-Oct-15
He had a friednw ho flew in fomr NY with him and his son and a spotter were "outside" glassing form him.

Helluva nice guy too.

21-Oct-15

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
DonVathone, I hunted Norther New Mexico this year while my heart was in "Atrial Flutter". Rapid heart rate, little energy, got tired easy. I'm 60 and was the youngest in our group of 3. These guys sound tough as nails and hats off to them for hanging tough. Have since got my heart rhythm straightened out and hope to be back at it next season. So far the bones, joints, are not much trouble. The Elk and Elk country just does it for me! The thought of missing an oppertunity is too much to bare. I too am pretty stubborn! LaGriz

21-Oct-15
Lou, Conrad Wiser is the guy who finished Tahoe in 2nd place. Unfortunately when you get to the higher age classes they reduce the number of slots available. He came in about 25 minutes behind the winner who got the slot. Cool deal to be able to be hunting and competing at that level at that age! Hopefully my body holds together that long.

21-Oct-15
Don, good thread! I sure hope in 10 years I too can be as tough as that ole boy was. I can sure tell a difference for 50 to 60 years old but not ready to throw the towel in yet, That guy is a true inspiration!

Paul@ the fort, my hats off to you too sir!

LaGriz, looks like you & I are in the same boat, I wish you many more elk seasons sir!

ElkNut1

21-Oct-15
It truly was inspiring. I will definitely remember it every time the going gets tough!!!!

My most difficult hunts are easy compared to what guys like that go through.

21-Oct-15
https://www.facebook.com/davidlengauer/videos/843571755762400/

21-Oct-15
Robb Facer, aka BULELK1, aka pleasedear.

Once again I am curious as to why you respond to almost all of my threads but yet continue to bash me whenever possible and send private messages and emails to lots of different people about me? I have not responded to At most a couple of your threads in over a decade and a half.

Please stop stalking me.

21-Oct-15
Yep, Conrad and Paul are two of my examples for an upcoming article about mountain fitness for seniors. Both are studs, true examples of what can be accomplished with hard work, dedication, and a little physical luck.

22-Oct-15
You know, Lou, someone who continues to hunt and helps a couple of people on a moose hunt after breaking some ribs might just be considered to have some grit themselves.

22-Oct-15
But Geezzz

I have been banned so how can it be me?

So sorry to challenge your fragile ego but I respond to thread titles not the person starting the thread.

I respond on many, many threads period and will continue to do so for ever.

Good luck, Robb

22-Oct-15
orionsbrother Big + 1

24-Oct-15
To everyone else I am sorry to put this up but after 15 years of trying every possible solution to Robb's stalking I have decided to simply state the facts.

Robb Pat L. himself PM's me and told me you were banned because of numerous complaints.

Responding to a thread is one thing, stalking is another. From webster, stalking is:

"to follow, watch, and bother (someone) constantly"

Robb you have followed and bothered me for 15 years. You have a lengthy file on me (your words not mine). You know where, when and what I am hunting and if I am successful. You know about my divorce, where I live, when my divorce was final, etc. You follow my relationships, employment etc. You even have nicknames for me. You know what my rental vehicle looks like and claim to see my driving past you.

15 years ago we both attacked each other. Since then I ignored you for almost a decade.I sent you a book with a note as a peace offering and said sorry several times and took all responsibility for our past disagreements.

You have ever NEVER admitted ANY wrong doing or accepted any responsibility for any of your actions. I have given up trying to reason with you and I am now going to simply state the facts and not let you continue to stalk me.

You have made very odd statements elsewhere about my IP address and posts etc. To go to the extent of trying to research my IP address and link it with posts/threads (incorrectly) is not what a normal person would do.

Do you deny any of the above statements?

You are clearly stalking me.

• Sitka Gear