JLS 22-Oct-15
ben yehuda 22-Oct-15
Albertahunter 23-Oct-15
Huntcell 24-Oct-15
LUNG$HOT 25-Oct-15
patdel 25-Oct-15
ben yehuda 25-Oct-15
21-Oct-15
Hey guys, Im new to the forum.. Im in Alberta, Canada and im 32 and have hunted my whole life and just got into bow hunting the last couple years with a bow.. I am interested in harvesting a elk in Montana. Is there anyone here that would give helpful info and maybe helping out on a bow hunt in 2016.. Fish and wildlife do a piss poor job in Alberta of managing wildlife although they have managed a way to get their hands in your wallet!!.. I would like to harvest a bull elk, not knowing the area I would love to have someone help out an hunt with or give me some helpful information on where I can harvest an elk.. Elk here seem to migrate to farm land, the farmers complain about the elk destroying their land but will also complain that the hunters constantly banging on their door to ask to hunt... Farmers and hunters here don't get along.. I know hunters around here are more less ignorant about giving any info on their hunting spots, cause once you find elk you keep it a secret hahaha.. So if that's you feel free to speak your mind hahaha... Like I said im planning on a hunt in 2016, so if you have any info good or bad haha I appreciate it.. if someone wants to work out a deal on hunting together that would be awesome and greatly appreciated.... I look forward to seeing what this journey brings and meeting some new people!!! Feel Free to ask me any questions as im sure I will have a lot more about this hunt I would love to take!!

21-Oct-15
Check you private messages (PM).

21-Oct-15
sorry im new hahaha how do I check my private messages??

21-Oct-15
When you first come onto Bowsite, on the right hand side of the screen look above "My Favorite Threads, My Registration, and My Private Messages", there is a link to "Private Messages".

21-Oct-15
Lots of good spots in Alberta to hunt elk with a bow. which part of Alberta are you at?

21-Oct-15
Im in Red Deer, (central) There is awesome elk hunting in alberta, most of which is on private land... Its impossible to get on private land around here, as a younger hunter ive always respected the outdoors. Every time I go out I end up picking up someones garbage that they threw out of their truck or left from camping.. its not my job to clean it up but I cant stand people that litter out here... Im tired of chasing the same herd of 6 elk that the other 1000 people from central alberta... Ive had plenty of encounters in the last 10 years hunting elk, last week I was 18 yards from 2 spiker bulls for 50 minutes while they grazed infront of me... I just haven't had the chance to be in range or be infront of a legal bull... its very frustrating.. Ive tried to get permission in southern alberta on the ranches but they only let family or close friends hunt on the land... Ive also hunted in northern alberta and saw more hunters than anywhere else ive ever been.. Im ready to hunt else where and ready to pay for someone to hunt with, not on a guided hunt just to come down there an go hunting where there is elk!!!

21-Oct-15
I have a video on my phone if I can figure out how to post it I will, the bulls moved out to 40 yards and I watched them graze till it was dark an snuck out when they walked over the hill!! Extremely exciting and frustrating hahaha... soo close yet not legal bulls hahaha

21-Oct-15
I have a question: Can an Alberta resident get a resident guide license to guide non-residents like they can in New Brunswick?

Look up Anchor D Outfitters out of Calgary. I have a friend who guides for him and they do pretty well. Maybe you can research where they hunt and pick a spot in that area. It's a 6 point minimum size in that area. Watch out for grizzlies!

21-Oct-15
Albertahunter-

I have a very good friend from Alberta that hunter/hosted me for mule deer two years ago. We had an incredible time and I killed a nice mule deer. Next year I'm eligible to go back. :)

His elk hunting story mirrors yours. Lots of pressure on the OTC spots and hard to draw premium areas. There are plenty of spots where elk are available in Montana on public land. And I'm sure if you have access to mule deer and whitetail hunting like my friend does, it won't take long for an astute Montana hunter to want to become your friend and host you on a hunt. You may wish to invite your new Montana friend on a whitetail/mule deer bowhunt in your province with the hunter/host program that satisfies Alberta's guide requirements for nonresidents. In fact, I would be first in line to be that person if I didn't already know an Alberta resident. Generally speaking, region 3 in Montana is going to have good elk hunting in nearly every region. If you search the MT FWP website under the Hunt Planner tab, http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/default.html you can do a lot of research into which units traditionally offer good harvests. Region 4 is going to also offer good access to bulls and will be a little closer to you. Some units in region 4 require an additional permit that must be drawn so you can hunt them. I would suggest you get your 2016 license then apply for a limited permit in a good district. If you are unsuccessful in the permit draw you can still hunt any general unit. I'm guessing if you post up some pictures of deer,moose etc. there will be hunters coming out of the woodwork wanting to be your new Montana hunting buddy. Good luck!

22-Oct-15
Thanks for all the positive feedback!!! As for the record I would be happy to assist anyone in a mule/whitetail buck hunt!!! I really look forward to going on a elk hunt In montana!!! Also does anyone hunt turkey here??? In alberta it's a 10 year draw a best!!!! I bought my wife a bow in April an we plan on doin a spring turkey hunt in either BC or Montana... Still doing research to see where my chances are better to harvest a turkey!!

22-Oct-15
If you want to harvest a turkey, come to NE Washington. They are like fleas, and plenty of public land.

22-Oct-15
What jls said. I spent a few months up north of Spokane about 5 years ago and turkeys were everywhere. According to friends in the area that is still the case. Plus the drive from Alberta to NE WA is beautiful country.

23-Oct-15
Awesome!!! I will look into it today!!! Alberta has turkey's but it's a 10 year draw at best!!! Just another money grab for fish and wildlife in alberta!!! It's very exciting for me as I just got my wife Into hunting, she shot her first grouse last week!!! And she would love to get a turkey!!! We are planning this turkey hunt for our honeymoon!!

24-Oct-15
"Alberta has turkey's but it's a 10 year draw at best!!! "

it been said that the longer and harder to draw a tag the bigger and better the trophy area. Man you must have some super turkeys.

watch out in ten years TBM is on his way LOL

25-Oct-15
If you want to hunt Montana contact a guy named Steve Grace. He's a professional elk hunter out of Alabama who travels there to hunt. He's your ticket to success.

25-Oct-15
Nice to hear from you again Steve. Aka tbm. Aka cade. My brain is taking the big hurt.

25-Oct-15
What jls said. I spent a few months up north of Spokane about 5 years ago and turkeys were everywhere. According to friends in the area that is still the case. Plus the drive from Alberta to NE WA is beautiful country.

• Sitka Gear