Coyote 65 23-Oct-15
78cj5 24-Oct-15
jdee 24-Oct-15
Huntcell 24-Oct-15
cityhunter 24-Oct-15
jdee 24-Oct-15
quailman 24-Oct-15
22-Oct-15
I am considering buying 100 acres in unit 51. Does anyone know how many possible landowner permits I might be able to get?

22-Oct-15
You might want to post which state as the regs are different in each.

22-Oct-15
I'd quess NM. Not sure but I think it varies on the amount of elk occupied acres and how much feed (crops) you have.

22-Oct-15
In Colorado, the minimum is 160 contiguous acres.

22-Oct-15
tags in NM hahah years ago i would buy LO tags from a rancher that never saw elk on his place,, I would say in NM u can bribe your way into getting yourself a tag !

22-Oct-15
If it's unit 51 in NM, G&F will determine whether the ranch is eligible for E-Plus, or SCR (Small Contributing Ranch). Either way, you are looking at one tag max per year most likely looking at other ranch acreages in the unit.

If it is put in the SCR pool, then still one tag max but it would also be a draw where the ranch has to get drawn from a pool of other ranches to get the tag (i.e. not guaranteed every year). E-plus would be a tag every year as long as the ranch is still eligible each year.

22-Oct-15
The ranch should already be signed up and you should be able to look on either list for tag numbers. I suspect that trying to get In the pool now is an uphill battle especially wth that little of acreage.

22-Oct-15
cityhunter.....That is why the tags are made Unit Wide.....:-)

23-Oct-15

quailman's embedded Photo
quailman's embedded Photo
Thanks to all of you. This was very helpful. Would anyone be interested in buying 80 acres surrounded by the Rio Grand Nat Forrest just south of Alamosa, CO. Great Elk hunting, but rugged. I have a fully furnished cabin as well and FR 254 dead end at my property. I cross two private landowners ( have deeded right of way) to get to my property.i am asking $240,000 and I have several pictures I could text or email if someone is seriously interested. The buddy I hunt with is 74 and Can't really help tote the Elk out of the Forrest, so I am looking for something that is easier accessed though I know I will be giving up my better chance of killing Elk.

23-Oct-15
I believe you can get one landowner tag in GMU51 with just 1/8 of an acre - but can only shoot it on that piece of property. With that said you can buy GMU51 private land in the leftovers so you shouldnt have a hard time getting a tag every year. The guy I know was able to get a cow tag and its is good until sometime in January. Ill be down there tomorrow and Ill ask him about it.

23-Oct-15
Thank you Destroyer 350. Please let me know after you ask your buddy. Also, what is the going rate for a leftover tag, and do you buy them thru the Game and Fish or a landowner? I know very little about NM hunting rules.

23-Oct-15
LO tags are given to the LO to sell these tags are given to make up for elk damage to fence crops etc . NM FG says buyer beware i have been burnt a few times in NM on this deal .. Like i said many NM LO get unit wide tags yet they have no elk ever on there property !

23-Oct-15
Quailman - My apologies. I thought you were talking about Colorado.

23-Oct-15
3000 per acre sounds steep !is that the avg bull in that area

23-Oct-15
Not at all. I did not draw a gun permit for the first hunt in Colorado, so I bow hunted here this year. I got within 110 yards of a 7x8 bull with 35 cows, but could not get a bow shot. He would have scored about 360-380. If I had my gun - game over! Not pushing the property, but most anything adjoining the National Forrest is close to $3,000 per acre, not including a cabin. However, I know that's a lot of money.

23-Oct-15
Compared to AZ that is cheap land.

Terry

24-Oct-15
quailman--To purchase a LO tag in NM you first negotiate with the LO. They sell you an authorization, basically a trespass fee. Then you log into the NMG&F online sales with your CIN and go to the e-plus program, put the authorization number in and purchase the license from G&F. That way you can't buy more than one LO tag in a year and if you drew a tag you can't purchase the LO tag.

24-Oct-15
Ask the guy you are buying it from how many he got. The NM Game and Fish will come out and look it over to see what damage elk are causing on the property. Just because someone owns land in NM doesn't mean they will qualify for a LO tag. It would fall under SCR (small contributing ranch)and it has to be in elk country. If you do qualify and receive a tag or tags it will be on a lottery on what kind of tag you get...cow, bull archery only, rifle/muzz it changes every year. If you apply for ranch only then the tag is only good for that property and no one else can hunt it without permission, if you apply for unit wide then anyone with a unit wide tag is allowed to hunt your property by law.

24-Oct-15
" if you apply for unit wide then anyone with a unit wide tag is allowed to hunt your property by law."

WoW! nice.

24-Oct-15
Huntcell guys that get unitwide tags almost never have elk on there place if they did trust me they would file ranch only . NM LO tags are just like welfare ! NM FG steals these tags from the public and then gives them to LO to sell.Yet FG does not want to be responsible in any way ! .Unit 53 one LO would get over 20 tags yet never had elk on his place , i bought a few of his tags he laughed when i asked if i could hunt his place his reply was sure but theirs no elk there. I once bought a ranch only unit 34 tag Lowlife selling the tags lied sending me pictures from NF water tanks . I gotten taken on that deal no elk on his ranch i watched the bulls from his land on NF couldn't do a thing about it . Lowlife had a ground blind on his fence line with a gate open he expected hunters to shoot into the NF were the tank was . Im sure many guys out of desperation would look the other way. I contacted a CO his reply was OHH i wish u would have called me before u bought these tags that ranch has no elk that time of year . I asked CO wtf why is he getting archery tags He said Nada . Im sure he went out and paid this lowlife a visit i warned him be careful this lowlife was walking around with a AR15 .He even had a friend from the west coast as a reference how great this ranch was . MY POINT is BUYER BEWARE. NM i hate to say it but has its share of scum .

24-Oct-15
Elk move long distance and come hunting season they might not be any where near the ranch. Some guys have ranches with 10's of thousand of acres to hunt and some ranches (SCR) are 30 - 40 - or maybe 50 acres but the elk caused some damage and the guy lives in elk country so he got a LO tag. Some guys get LO tags ranch only because they don't want outsiders hunting on their property.

24-Oct-15
This has all been great information. Thanks to all. I get the message about " buyer beware"!

• Sitka Gear