Montana elk 2015
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
MI_Steelheader 23-Oct-15
sfiremedic 23-Oct-15
23-Oct-15

MI_Steelheader's embedded Photo
MI_Steelheader's embedded Photo
Where does this story start ? I guess it was 30 years ago when my dad asked me if I wanted to go elk hunting. A stupid question to a 16 year old who was obsessed with hunting. We made the drive from Michigan, timing our arrival in Fort Collins,CO to buy our licenses from the Colorado game and fish office. This was long before the days of the Internet and being able to purchase a license anywhere. It was an incredible adventure for a teenager who had never seen the mountains.

We made the trip up to the Craig area totally in the dark. Only having researched the area with a topo map and nothing else. We drove up into the mountains with no plan and only a sense of adventure you can only have with your dad. I still remember it plain as day, we are not 1/2 mile into the timber and we see an elk cross the trail. I am mesmerized. This is is the first elk I have ever seen and I am hooked for life. The trip was unsuccessful for elk but I still have memories burned in my mind. My dad and I had bought 2" thick NY strip steaks from a butcher in Craig. As we sat there grilling them over a wood fire in the Colorado mountains looking at the stars , I couldn't imagine anything better at the time.

Fast forward thirty years and I am preparing for a Montana rifle opening day with my dad. I have already had a fun fall by myself chasing elk with my bow, but this is different. I know my days of experiencing this with my dad are numbered. He is 72 and can still climb the mountains but is slowing down rapidly. He cannot draw a bow anymore but still chases white tails in Michigan with his crossbow. I know our Montana days are limited.

I am blessed to have a cabin and access to some incredible elk hunting area in SW Montana.

As I reflect, it's surprising how your priorities change over time. I know where I need to be at daybreak to fill my unfilled tag based on my knowledge from this fall. There are some tremendous Bulls around. I also know my dad cannot climb those same hills anymore. I am perfectly content to stay down low and see what happens.

I just wanted to remind other bow hunters, it is not always about the kill or the type of hunt. Live in the moment and remember all that the hunt offers. All our days are numbered.

I have a backup plan. My dad and I may or may not have a chance in the morning but I know for sure we will experience an awesome Montana sunrise together.

23-Oct-15
Enjoy your time together. You've been blessed...

• Sitka Gear