r-man 26-Oct-15
ElkNut1 26-Oct-15
ElkNut1 26-Oct-15
Mark Watkins 26-Oct-15
ElkNut1 28-Oct-15
24-Oct-15

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Here's a photo taken off a Trailcam this year. It's in one of our elk hunting areas. That black striped wolf is very unusual looking, anyone see one like him before? He's part hyena! (grin)

Lots of wolves here in our areas but it seems the elk are adapting to their presence pretty well, not a friend of the wolf but they're here & that's that!

One thing I found interesting was elk had been through this natural black lick area according to my photo timer 30 minutes prior & aprox 30 minutes after their showing. I ended up total with 2000 photos from this area & never received another photo of either of them.

ElkNut1

24-Oct-15
THAT is an awesome looking wolf. A full body mount is in order.

24-Oct-15
Yes, he is a very unusual critter for sure. If I came across either of them they would be on the menu! (grin) Heck, you never know maybe I'll see it next year. I'll put a cam back in the area & see.

ElkNut1

24-Oct-15
Very nice picture. Looks like a small fire area from that little lightning strike the Wolf is standing on.

24-Oct-15
Bob, it appears that way doesn't it! Actually no fire has hit that spot yet! (fingers crossed) Most of our hunting areas are littered with downfall, that is a light amount of it when compared to most of the country.

Funny thing was we didn't hear one wolf this year during our elk hunts, that was rare, they are there for sure but we had little issue with them for once!

ElkNut1

24-Oct-15
Cool wolf. Make him cooler and, kill him.

24-Oct-15
LOL, you got that right! (grin)

ElkNut1

25-Oct-15
That is a great picture and I agree one unusually colored wolf. My brother saw a large pack 6-7 in the Lolo unit last fall.

25-Oct-15
Paul (or anyone else). How have the presence of wolves changed your hunting strategy? Or has it?

--Mitch

26-Oct-15
Paul it sounds like you need to uncross your fingers and let it burn.

26-Oct-15
odd location for a trail cam, that pile of debree is the open ground ? how do get around in such a mess. Cool pic though

26-Oct-15
Yes the Lolo Zone is well known for their packs! We are right next to that zone here where the photo was taken. John, are you shooting a Habu recurve?

Link, we are in the west central part of Idaho, we have have several major fires here about every year. The downfall in that photo is not even 2% of what we encounter during daily hunts, it's absolutely terrible in & out of the burn areas. I'd like a fire then I don't want a fire! (grin) We hunt the fringes of the burns mostly where they meet pockets of green timber.

Old School, No hunting strategy changes here, we use the exact techniques we've used for decades. The elk are pretty much settled in as usual, they've reduced wolf numbers here quite a bit, they can still be an issue . It just presents us with another challenge. We get as many elk to respond to bugling as we ever have. In many cases you have to fire the elk up, we do not sit around waiting for elk to bugle on their own, If we did we'd be complaining like many others that elk don't bugle much anymore when in fact they do. Do your part & they do theirs within reason.

ElkNut1

26-Oct-15
r-man, that is really nothing for this country, seriously, the downfall here is more than most hunters can imagine, it's ridiculous in most areas. You should try packing meat out in it for 4-5 hours! (grin)

The spot with the cam is an underground spring that is pure black sulfur smelling water, it's about a 15'X15' area & the critters really come to it. I found it 20 years ago because of trails that led to it. Funny thing is I've never hunted elk over it! (grin)

ElkNut1

26-Oct-15
Great pic Paul of a striped wolf...and always, we appreciate your insight and elk hunting philosophies!

Mark

28-Oct-15
Mark, thanks! Yes he is unusual, he just looks sneaky & one not to be trusted! (grin)

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear