tradmt 26-Dec-15
KJC 26-Dec-15
deerman406 26-Dec-15
greenmountain 26-Dec-15
VK 26-Dec-15
ElkNut1 28-Dec-15
ElkNut1 28-Dec-15
24-Oct-15
I will be buying another bow due to shoulder problems.I will be shooting 40lbs at 29inch draw, arrow weight 395 estimated fps 220 and kinetic energy est at 42 will this be suitable for elk? I hope i can start with 40 lbs and move up to a higher weight, Right now I can hardly pull my 55 lbs bow. That's as low as it will go. Not sure if my shoulder will get better or worse probably the latter> Any info advise welcomed. Thanks.

24-Oct-15
Get a bow with a 6"bh, it will have the same jam as a 7"bh bow set at 50

24-Oct-15
Can you get lighter poundage limbs for your current bow?

24-Oct-15
What is "jam" ?

24-Oct-15
That's like jelly with the pulp still in it ! Goes well on a hot cat head biscuit...........

24-Oct-15
Jam=oomph

24-Oct-15
Matt, my old bow is a pse gforce not sure if I could get other limbs.Thanks.

24-Oct-15
I bet it'll do fine if you shoot em right.

Just remember, some states require 50 lbs minimum for elk.

24-Oct-15
I hunted with a 40# recurve for 15yrs, I used 550g arrow combo's and it was enough to get pass throughs on most deer. Never shot at an elk though.

24-Oct-15
tj. are you sure you can't just lower the draw weight even more? I have reduced the draw weights well beyond the range indicated on four single cam bows, two Brownings and two Mathews, with absolutely no damage or ill effects. They all continued to shoot quietly and accurately at weights as low as 29# with a 70# Mathews LX at 29" draw.

I have no specific experience with the PSE model you now have, but I would suggest that it should be safe and still reasonably efficient when backed down to 40#, as long as there are sufficient threads left in the limb bolt anchors.

For rehabbing and continued practice while waiting to see how the shoulder is going to do, it would be a lot cheaper than buying another bow to serve in that capacity.

I think you might be better off with a bow that has a gentler draw cycle than your current PSE, even at the same weight range

Also, if you do end up going hunting with either a different bow or your current one cranked down, I'd sacrifice speed for a heavier arrow, especially for elk sized game.

A heavy arrow is imparted with more energy leaving the same bow, and loses energy more slowly as it travels. A great many elk have been killed with arrows travelling less than 180 fps through the years.

24-Oct-15
Like stated there are a lot of new bows you can shoot at 50lb and feels like 40lb. Go to your local Proshop and try some of the newer models.

You won't be hunting Wyoming elk it requires 50lbs.

If you have to shoot 40lbs chose a good cut on contact head and limit your yardage.

Good luck!

24-Oct-15
I have taken two bulls in the last two seasons with my 52# @ 29 recurve which is producing less ke than the setup you are thinking of switching to.

If you go that route my advice would be to up your arrow weight to somewhere north of 450 grains and choose a 2 blade COC head, something like a Magnus stinger or other similar less than 1-1/4 wide two blade head.

The biggest thing is that you will need to limit yourself to more ideal shots but it's definitely doable.

By the way I owned a PSE G-Force back in the 90's and those cams had an extremely harsh draw cycle, the above advice about newer bows being easier to draw at the same weight would definitely be valid in this case.

24-Oct-15
we got a 13 year old kid in our elk camp that has killed a bull the last two years in a row with a 35 pound bow and a cut on contact broad head. killed em both with one shot to the lungs and they died in sight. you will be fine.

24-Oct-15
meant to type 16 year old not 13.

24-Oct-15
I've killed a bunch with stickbows producing KE in the same range as your setup.

I helped a lady kill a moose this year with a 45 lb RD longbow shooting a 450 grain arrow. Moose didn't go 30 yards after the shot.

25-Oct-15
Thanks everyone for the advise Russ I had lowered my bow several turns but decided to take it to the archery pro. He said I was lucky the limbs weren't damaged the bow is rated 50 to 60.B4 I had lowered the poundage it was at a max of 65lbs. It was shooting 276fps.I have killed a lot of deer here in Ala.over the years with that bow it's a good bow but does draw hard it has the hatchet cams.Crossbows are legal now in AL but I'd rather shoot a compound if poss.I hunted in Colorado this year but we did not see or hear any elk.Crossbows are not legal in archery season in CO.They are in gun season,Go figure! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions> God Bless.

25-Oct-15
"I had lowered my bow several turns but decided to take it to the archery pro. He said I was lucky the limbs weren't damaged the bow is rated 50 to 60."

I suggest you find another shop.

It is virtually impossible to damage a limb by bending it less. The harness will be spongy and efficiency will suffer a bunch but it damn sure won't hurt the limbs. You could also pull the limb bolt out of the last cpl threads but that's the extent of it.

26-Oct-15
What WapitiBob said.

The shop owner probably also had a few choices for you to select from, didn't he? 8^)

Not knocking local shops, I do as much business as I can with mine and enjoy dropping by to chat when they're not busy. But I just hate to see a guy who needs an allen wrench and five minutes get talked into a couple hundred dollars worth of gear that may do him no good.

IMO, even the efficiency loss that did occur back in the days of round wheels, laminated wood/glass limbs. and heavier hardware like steel cables and axle brackets, has now been pretty much a thing of the past for a generation. The speed drops at the reduced draw weight, sure, but the efficiency is the KE of the arrow when shot from a bow of whatever draw weight you are USING, not the one that the bow is capable of being cranked up to.

The excellent bow tests that were done by Norb Mullaney for Bowhunting World magazine years ago often charted the efficiency at both the full maximum draw weight and at a draw weight cranked down 10#, and even occasionally 20#. The efficiency loss was extremely small and sometimes couldn't even be found at those levels.

My Mathews LX that I shot across a chrono while it was reduced 30# of draw from its rated max confirmed to my satisfaction any such loss wasn't significant (except maybe to my local shop owner).

Even back in the round-wheel days most of us who had tinkered with the compounds to any extent, when setting one up for a newbie, would crank it down until it started to rattle, then put a turn back into the limbs to quiet it down while the newcomer got used to shooting. Those old compounds tended to get pretty noisy when you reduced the tension in the system very much. And the actual efficiency reduction then was surely more, as there were longer limbs, with heavier tackle, pulling steel cables through smaller-diameter pulleys, all of which had to be subtracted from the energy that was being transferred to the arrow.

28-Oct-15
Just that arrow weifht up to 525-550gr + and you'll be a lot better off than that light arrow.

28-Oct-15
+1 on increasing the arrow weight. You'll be better off keeping the arrow weight around 500 gr and keeping your shots close, 30 yards and in and 25 and in is better yet. Heavy arrow, close range, and a good COC head and you'll have your elk.

If you really want a new bow get a 40-50# bow, lots of good options out there. Elite's are known for their smooth draw. Might be a good place to start looking.

28-Oct-15
Take note of what trad guys are using to give them penetration advantage, make your maximum range a little less and you will be fine! And buy a super efficient bow with the lower brace height as mentioned to even up the playing field.

28-Oct-15
tj, I am just trying to be helpful so take this for what its worth. I had to turn my bow down after rehabbing a rotator cuff (not surgery) on my bow arm side (left). I found that I could pull back at 50 lbs without pain if I locked my left elbow and used all right arm to pull.

Any doctors out there please feel free to let me know if there is a reason this should not be done.

26-Dec-15
Other idea not mentioned is to switch to a Winns Free Flight release. It's been around for ever, but most have forgotten about it. My shoulder is shot and I switched from shooting my Carbon Element at 55# and pain to 64# and no pain and even gained strength from less shoulder stress. It's a glove release that has a bar on it that fits across your base knuckles and puts the majority of the stress there. Way less than a new bow. Good luck

26-Dec-15
Good idea about the Winns release, it's true.

I have killed 3 elk shooting 41 ft- lbs of KE with arrows in the 395 to 425 grain range. All with broadhead pass through and one with a three blade mechanical. Don't worry about your arrow weight, worry about hitting them in the right spot. However, I would recommend a 2 blade COC, a well tuned bow, a calm animal and < 25 yards shot.

FYI, a general rule of thumb for minimum thread engagement is to have 1 1/2 times the bolt diameter. If you do this, the bolt will break before the thread in either the nut or the bolt will strip. Having said that, in this case you should be safe with a thread engagement down to 3/4 of the bolt diameter. Any less than that and you are likely to strip the threads.

26-Dec-15
Good idea about the Winns release, it's true.

I have killed 3 elk shooting 41 ft- lbs of KE with arrows in the 395 to 425 grain range. All with broadhead pass through and one with a three blade mechanical. Don't worry about your arrow weight, worry about hitting them in the right spot. However, I would recommend a 2 blade COC, a well tuned bow, a calm animal and < 25 yards shot.

FYI, a general rule of thumb for minimum thread engagement is to have 1 1/2 times the bolt diameter. If you do this, the bolt will break before the thread in either the nut or the bolt will strip. Having said that, in this case you should be safe with a thread engagement down to 3/4 of the bolt diameter. Any less than that and you are likely to strip the threads.

26-Dec-15
Bull elk are tough animals with thick hides and heavy ribs. I am not saying a elk can't be killed with 40 lbs but you are significantly under gunned. A lower brace height bow will make your problem worse because of the fact you will obtain the peak weight a lot quicker and stay on it a lot longer. Also, Your current bow will be much more efficient with limbs closer to the peak weight you would like to shoot.

The real answer to your problem however is aggressive rehab of your shoulder with physical therapy. Also between shooting sections use rubber bands to strengthen your shoulder girdle that simulate the draw sequence. Only shoot one arrow at a time while practicing. I bet you can be shooting 55lbs within 6 months which will kill any elk in NA.

26-Dec-15
40# compound is plenty as long as you actually bowhunt. Keep the arrow weight upwards of 500 give or take and use real broadheads designed for penetration.

26-Dec-15
I agree 100% with full draw. If possible, I'd want good not good enough.

26-Dec-15
Ken Beck from Black Widow bows has killed moose shooting 46#s(recurve) and an arrow a bit over 10 gpp. of draw weight. Moose are tougher than Elk for sure. Use a quality coc head and keep shots under 25 yards and you will be fine. Set the bow at 42#s and get shoot an arrow between 9 and 10 grains of draw weight and you will do well. Shawn

26-Dec-15
Don't take advice from anyone who does not have all the facts as gospel. Investigate. It may cost a few bucks if you do not have bow press but it is worth it. Remove the limbs from your bow and look at the thread engagement of your limb bolts. If you have two diameters or more the limb bolts are not the weak point. Get proper medical help and build yourself up slowly and carefully. One final thought.. You don't need as much energy as most will say if you shoot straight with a sharp broadhead.

26-Dec-15
I'm not familiar with the g-force but some of the 90's PSE bows limited you to only backing the limb bolts out four turns max. If you backed them out much more the limb could jump out of the limb pocket.

28-Dec-15

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
My son with a 6 point, 40# 400 grain arrow, 3-bladed broadhead. Sunk arrow to the fletchings, bull down in 50 yards.

This photo was 24 years ago with a 40# Hoyt Raider, today's bows at the same poundage would blow that bow away! 40#-45# is plenty of bow! Keep shots at 35 yards & under & you will be good to go!

ElkNut1

28-Dec-15

Here's the next year with another bow set at 45# -- 5-point bull 34 yards with broadhead sticking out opposite side! 3-bladed head again same 400 grain arrows.

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear