deerslayer 05-Nov-15
deerslayer 05-Nov-15
iceman 05-Nov-15
Aubs8 05-Nov-15
Reflex 05-Nov-15
Geno 05-Nov-15
Bernie1 06-Nov-15
25-Oct-15
While I wish this was a thread with a picture of a bull down and a beaming smile, it isn't, and life can take a turn when you least expect it.

There are a lot more details to the hunt side of the story, but I'll keep that part brief.

My buddy Brian and I spent 10 days in the back country. To date it was the toughest hunt we have had for finding elk. In that time period we put around 100 miles on the horses and spent countless hours hiking and glassing trying to locate the elk. Our hard work paid off with a couple of exciting encounters, but nothing real solid, and they were very few and far between.

On Tuesday, Brian decided enough was enough and hiked up to the highest point in the area. He found all the elk (a herd of around 500), but discouragingly all on private land around 3 miles away. Now we realized why we felt like we had been chasing our tail.

On Wednesday the 7th, We got up at 4 am and headed out. Little did I know that day my life was never going to be the same. We rode 4 miles then hiked up to a spot we were sure was going to hold some elk. No dice. Back to camp for the afternoon, and then off to another spot around 6 miles away. This time Brian spotted some bulls crossing into the public land, and off we went.

25-Oct-15
Wow

25-Oct-15
We made a valiant effort that almost ended with a bull down, but it was not meant to be. There was no rain in the forecast, but as we headed back to the horses, it began to pour a driving cold mountain rain. We were still 6 miles from camp without rain gear, so we turned on our headlamps and began trotting in the dark rain back to camp.

When we finally got there soaking wet, we could see the light on our tent was on. Brian was planning on leaving the next day so I had invited another good friend to come hang out with me at camp, but he wasn't going to come in for another 2-3 days. I figured he must have decided to come in early. As we rode up we saw that another one of my friends was with him. We were surprised to see them both back there, and I knew something was up. When they told me to get down because they had something to tell me my mind was racing. Brian asked if our wives and kids were alright and they said they were fine. If I would have had 10 years to guess the next sentence I never would have guessed right. My good friend TJ then informed me that my mom had went home to be with the Lord that morning. I didn't even really react at first. My mom had just turned 66 three weeks before, and has never had a health problem in her life. To say it was the shock of my life is a big understatement. The emotions didn't even come until about 10 minutes after the news. It was when I realized that right before my trip I had called my mom and talked to her that I finally broke down. I had been doing a ton of errands to get ready for "the most important part of my year" that day, and had a lot of drive time, so I decided to giver her a call. That was the last time I ever talked to my mom on this earth. I had actually pulled the car over so I wouldn't lose reception during our conversation. When I later checked my phone we spent 2 hrs and 7 mins talking with each other. For the rest of my life I will always be so thankful I did that.

25-Oct-15
Praise God you made that call!! So sorry for the loss as I lost my Mom at 66 also! That was 29 years ago when I was 32 but I can tell you this she is never really gone and will continue to steer your life! God bless! C

25-Oct-15
I would give anything to talk to my mom and dad one more time. Prayers.

25-Oct-15
Just reading this has left me speechless, I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you & your family, God bless!

Paul

25-Oct-15
So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

25-Oct-15
That whole week we had worked so hard, and I had repeated over and over to Brian "Well at least we can say we didn't leave anything on the field". As I pondered all the wonderful things my mom was and things she did, I realized that phrase applied to her. The deep way she loved and cared for others, the kindness she showed to everyone she met, and the way she intensely loved and served the Lord. My mom was raised a pastor's daughter and married a pastor (my dad), and spent her whole life in service to God and his people. There were over a 1000 people that attended her viewing and funeral service, and the service itself lasted almost 5 hrs. She loved greatly and was loved greatly.

It goes without saying that I will miss her a ton, but I have total confidence that I will see her again and that she is in eternity this very second enjoying the wonders of heaven. Because my mom loved so much she had a lot of grief over the years due to the bad choices others made, including one of my brothers. I really believe that is what killed her, a broken heart. That said, she had cast all her cares upon her saviour, and was clinging to His promises. We found her bible open in her prayer room, and underlined was "Be still and know that I am God". As sad as I am, I know that my mom is an "is", not a "was". I also know that I will see her again, because I believe in the same God as she did. It is almost ironic to think that while part of me is so sad, part of me is very happy that she now has all the answers to her questions, she will never be sad again, and will never again be weak, or sick, or tired, or discouraged.

25-Oct-15
Charlie, I'll be 32 in December.

25-Oct-15
Very sorry for your loss. Glad that you had made that phone call.

You may be upset with your brother for entirely valid reasons, but leave that weight behind. Like your hunt, life can be challenging. You don't need to carry useless baggage.

Take care, brother.

25-Oct-15
Other than my wife and kids, my mom was the closest person to me. I have never lost anyone really close to me before, and I want to share a few things that I've taken away from all this:

#1 Always, always, always take the time to call, or write, or say I love you. Always put the important over the urgent. My mom and I had a wonderful relationship, and I have no regrets. I loved her, she loved me and was proud of me, and we always made sure to tell each other the same. For me, knowing that when I was "busy" I still made time to pull over just to chat gives me unbelievable comfort.

#2 Never get too caught up in what you are doing and the cares of this life. I have read many times from others experiencing the same thing here on BS over the years on how short life is. I told Brian as we drove home that night how ironic it was that just a few hours before our biggest concern in the world was finding and killing an elk. Now that seemed pretty insignificant.

#3 Lastly, seek out the true purpose in life. Simple belief in God is not the end all be all. Believing in Jesus Christ, asking for His forgiveness for your sins, serving Him, and loving Him is. One day we will all stand before Him and give an account of our lives. If you spent yours loving, knowing, and serving Him you will not regret it on that day, just like I now have no regrets that I pulled over and talked to my mom. The things I had to do that day seemed really important at the time, but now all the stuff I had to do that day is just that..... stuff. Our time spent here on this earth will seem just like that when we stand before God. All of our "arrangements" or "agreements" with the "Big Man upstairs" won't hold water. It will simply be, did you love and serve Him, or love and serve yourself? I pray that if anything I ever write here on Bowsite has meaning to you that this will.

I am so glad to have been raised by my mom. It is easy for me to be sad, even angry at what I have lost, especially at my age, but I realize that I have been so blessed to have a mother like her. I want to be thankful for what I had, not what I lost. My mom was never a hunter, and had no desire to hunt, but she always took interest because that's what I enjoyed. She was the first one to take pictures of my latest kill, and listen with genuine interest as I excitedly told her all the details of the hunt. I am a blessed man, and I am thankful for her life and her impact on mine.

She was scheduled to come out here to Montana with my dad in a couple of weeks and spend Thanksgiving with us. Now my dad will be coming alone. I ask you to pray for him as he has lost his partner of 46 years. We are going to be doing some hunting together, so I'll post the updates as they happen. I think I am going to dust off my gun and head back to the mountains this coming week and continue where I left off. Nothing like the smell of elk and pines. Chicken soup for the soul.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Treat every day like it's your last, because it very well could be. Live with no regrets!

25-Oct-15
Sorry about your loss. Yet another reason to enjoy life while we are blessed to have it. God bless.

25-Oct-15
Justin Im am so sorry for the loss ! May God help you and your family!

25-Oct-15
Life is short but it is obvious your mother did a great job raising you,what a beautiful write up on what she meant to you and your family it is obvious hunting play's a big role in everyone's life here on the Bowsite but as i have aged the hunt's don't mean near as much as the people and relationship's that have been a part of that journey.God bless you and your family. Brian

25-Oct-15
Sorry for your loss brother. I'm glad that you got to talk with her before you left for the mountains. I lost my dad at 19 and my mom just a few years later. Still miss them, and I'm 68. It's all in God's hands anyhow.

25-Oct-15

deerslayer's embedded Photo
Thank you guys. Here is a pic of my mom at my home a couple years ago doing what she loved. Man, I'm going to miss that cooking!

25-Oct-15
My condolences to you and your family, your outlook is spot on.

My Mom passed away at 52 and I was 28, 24 years ago and it stills feel like it was yesterday.

She will always be with you, take care.

JP

25-Oct-15
Sorry for your loss.

25-Oct-15
Once again Justin, sorry for the loss. We've been praying for you and yours.

25-Oct-15
Justin, Thank you for sharing this - I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for this dose of perspective. You've stated plainly in this forum what I've said from the pulpit many times - you better be ready to meet God, because that day is coming sooner or later. Will be praying for you and your family.

-Mitch

25-Oct-15
Justin, your posts are a tribute to the strength and depth of the love you shared with your Mom. I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

25-Oct-15
Sorry of your loss, thank God you had the long talk with her - the comfort will last a lifetime.

derycreek, I was 19 also, when I lost my dad - still sucks!

We could all use a little perspective now and then. Make time for your loved ones, and keep your priorities in order.

25-Oct-15
So sorry for your loss.

Best phone call you ever made!

25-Oct-15
That's sad to hear. I hope it goes as easy for you and your family as it can.

25-Oct-15
My brother, my heart goes out to you and yours. I recognize the wisdom in your words. I also sense the sadness of your loss but, joy knowing where she now resides. It is obvious that the Lord put this on your heart. I'm glad you listened. Never forget the faith you are exhibiting. It is what gives you the strength to do as you have.

May God continue to bless you and yours. May God always be in your heart and soul. And, may we all never lose sight of what he has given everyone. Salvation for their commitment to and, acceptance of the savior. Jesus Christ is Lord and, the only way to receive that salvation. I'm am certain there is a man that has or will read this, that will accept him due to your sharing this. As the Bible says, there is Good in all things that come from the Lord. God Bless you all men.

25-Oct-15
Very sorry for your loss.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mark

25-Oct-15
So very sorry to hear. Amazing wisdom as a few have said in such a hard time. God surely put it in your heart and I thabk you for putting it into words here for us to see. I pray that you re-unite someday far down the road and that as you continue on in life, you always know she is right there with you, still proud as ever.

25-Oct-15
God bless you and your family. Life is short live everyday. Take care . HUNT

25-Oct-15
So sorry.

25-Oct-15
Sorry for your loss but it sounds like you have so many great memories you will cherish the rest of your life.

25-Oct-15
I don't think I could say anything any better than what has already been said.

Dear God, please embrace Justin and his family during this time you welcome his Mother into your arms forever .... Amen

26-Oct-15
You've got your priorities straight. We've been praying for your family buddy.

26-Oct-15
Sorry for your loss. Glad you and her both have the assurance of eternity.

26-Oct-15
So sorry to hear this. Wishing you peace from above to you and your family.

26-Oct-15
Over the past few months I've been learning more about myself and have realized that life speeds by at an alarming rate. Slow down and enjoy it all. Tomorrow is not a given right, it's a gift. Live for today.

My thoughts are with you and your family my brother.

26-Oct-15
Justin,

Although we're buddies, I've never met or seen a picture of your mother before. She has a glow about her and I'm sorry for your loss but happy about your perspective on her amazing life. Your words will keep me in check this fall as I measure my passion for hunting against my true responsibilities in life.

Mike

26-Oct-15
Sorry to hear this Justin, prayers sent and I hope what you are feeling passes. Take care and God bless.

26-Oct-15
The big guy must like you to have afforded you the opportunity to have a really good conversation with your mom before she was called home. God bless.

26-Oct-15
sorry to hear this,,,take care

26-Oct-15
Very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing this and helping me (im sure others) remember what is important in life. Sometimes we can forget with our fast paced lives that things can change at any moment. God bless and prayers sent from Colorado.

26-Oct-15
So sorry to hear of your loss Justin. Prayers for you and your family, you'll be in our thoughts. Very glad you were able to have that conversation with your mother Justin, it obviously meant a lot to you. God bless.

26-Oct-15
God bless you brother - praying for you and your family.

Carl

26-Oct-15
I'm sorry to hear of your great loss. Thanks for sharing a part of your mother's life with us. The legacy she has left you is worth more than gold. I also was blessed with a wonderful Christian mother. She went to be with the Lord in 1991. I still miss her dearly, but I know she has no more pain, heart aches and I know she is experiencing happiness that cannot be known on this earth. My prayers are with you and your family.

26-Oct-15
God bless.

26-Oct-15
I pray for strength and peace for you and your Dad. Your sharing of the Gospel at a time like this shows a very strong faith in Him. Amen to that!

26-Oct-15
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. Keep her memories in your heart. May she rest in peace

26-Oct-15
My deepest condolences go out to you and your family. My mom was 59 when she passed away 22 years ago. Your mother influenced you as you grew up, both physically and spiritually. You are truly blessed that she helped instill your love for God and life. Physically she may be gone, but she will always be with you in spirit. God Bless.

26-Oct-15
Sorry for your loss. God bless!

26-Oct-15
Our time here is short, but our time with God is forever. Bless you and your family, I'll be praying for you.

26-Oct-15
Sorry for your loss.

26-Oct-15
Sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers. I hate to think of the day when it comes. But I know that there is only one thing in life that is guaranteed, and we all need to be prepared.

27-Oct-15
That is terrible to read Justin.

Prayers from Utah for you and your loved ones.

Good luck, Robb

27-Oct-15
Prayers to you and your family. Thanks for sharing this truly awesome perspective, GOD bless you.

27-Oct-15
That phone call is truly a blessing from god. Our prayers are with you and your family.

27-Oct-15
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family Justin.

27-Oct-15
There is nobody in the world like our moms. So sorry for your loss. It has to be a great relief to you and your family that your mom knew the Lord and has gone to be with Him.

27-Oct-15
Justin, I loved your mom. She was a wonderful and caring person. She will be missed greatly by the church and my family.

I’ve been praying for you and your family.

“ #1 Always, always, always take the time to call, or write, or say I love you. Always put the important over the urgent. My mom and I had a wonderful relationship, and I have no regrets. I loved her, she loved me and was proud of me, and we always made sure to tell each other the same. For me, knowing that when I was "busy" I still made time to pull over just to chat gives me unbelievable comfort.

#2 Never get too caught up in what you are doing and the cares of this life. I have read many times from others experiencing the same thing here on BS over the years on how short life is. I told Brian as we drove home that night how ironic it was that just a few hours before our biggest concern in the world was finding and killing an elk. Now that seemed pretty insignificant.

#3 Lastly, seek out the true purpose in life. Simple belief in God is not the end all be all. Believing in Jesus Christ, asking for His forgiveness for your sins, serving Him, and loving Him is. One day we will all stand before Him and give an account of our lives. If you spent yours loving, knowing, and serving Him you will not regret it on that day, just like I now have no regrets that I pulled over and talked to my mom. The things I had to do that day seemed really important at the time, but now all the stuff I had to do that day is just that..... stuff. Our time spent here on this earth will seem just like that when we stand before God. All of our "arrangements" or "agreements" with the "Big Man upstairs" won't hold water. It will simply be, did you love and serve Him, or love and serve yourself? I pray that if anything I ever write here on Bowsite has meaning to you that this will.”

These may be the truest words ever posted on Bowsite.

03-Nov-15
Sounds like a remarkable woman. Is your dad doing okay?

03-Nov-15
So very sorry for your loss. I lot my mom this past January. Lost my dad while I was away on an elk hunt back in September 2004. I know your pain.

Prayers....

>>>>-------->

03-Nov-15
Justin . . . . Sorry for you lose. Thoughts and prayer are of you and your family.

I lost my mom, good lord .... it's been five years already, I pray everyday about her and give thanks. I didn't know your mom, but reading your post . . . . heck I miss her. God bless.

05-Nov-15
Sorry for your loss!

05-Nov-15
Given the tone of this thread, I'd say you are fulfilling your Mom's purpose. Good for her.

05-Nov-15
Update:

Previously I stated "I think I am going to dust off my gun and head back to the mountains this coming week and continue where I left off. Nothing like the smell of elk and pines. Chicken soup for the soul".....

4 days after I got back home, I got my chance.

I know this is bowsite, but I have to post this. I'll keep the story brief.

05-Nov-15

I haven't rifle hunted for a bull in a long time, but this year was going to be the exception.

After a total of almost 2 weeks in the backcountry, dozens of hours in the saddle with well over 100 miles on the horses, and enduring the loss of my mom, I finally connected on this great bull.

I spent 11 days during archery chasing elk, but had an abrupt end to the hunt when I was unexpectedly picked up at camp and informed my mom had went to be with the Lord.

After spending 2 weeks with my family back in Michigan loving and supporting each other, I knew what my heart needed was the solace and solitude of the mountains, where I could do some soul searching and reflecting.

On the way up the mountain that evening, I had a talk with the Lord. I asked Him if it would be okay if my mom got to see the adventures and good parts of my life. An hour later I killed this bull. It took 10.5 hrs to get him broke down and packed out, rolling back into camp at 5 am!

I don't know of any bible verses that support or negate whether or not our loved ones can see our lives here on earth, but I'd like to think my mom got a front row seat on this one.

Very special hunt. Feeling very blessed and humbled..... God is good...... All the time.

05-Nov-15

He was a warrior with all sorts of busted up tines. It was an an otc public area, that recieves a lot of pressure, and I really didn't have much confidence that it was going to happen. I actually said the main reason I was out there was not to till a tag, but have some time to think and heal. It seems the Lord must-have known I needed this bull, because it shouldn't have happened, but man am I glad it did!

05-Nov-15
Excellent! Congratulations to you, buddy. You deserve it.

05-Nov-15
Very cool! A great memory! Congratulations!

05-Nov-15
I didn't see this thread the first time around. I'm very sorry for the loss of your Mom. I'm sure she was smiling down on you as you harvested your bull.

05-Nov-15
Hey Justin, I just read your thread and am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. I'll be praying for you. Congrats on your bull!

06-Nov-15
Wish I was there for the kill.

Glad I missed the pack out!!! HAHA!

• Sitka Gear