DonVathome 30-Oct-15
BigRed 30-Oct-15
WapitiBob 30-Oct-15
WapitiBob 04-Nov-15
BULELK1 04-Nov-15
AZBUGLER 11-Jan-16
WapitiBob 11-Jan-16
26-Oct-15
The Commission passed the Article 1 proposals at their Sept meeting. They go to the Governors Regulatory Review Council to be heard on Nov 3 and when/if approved will become effective Jan 2016.

The new rules, as I read them, will change the NR cap to 5% MAX in the Bonus Pass. In layman terms, NO MORE than 5% can be drawn by a NR in the Bonus Pass. The remainder, up to the full 10% cap will be available for NR in the 1-2 Pass. Be cognizant of the fact that res and NR are all lumped together and AZ looks at BOTH 1st and 2nd choices before going to the next guy.

In addition there will be a tag surrender option as part of their new "membership" program. membership costs will be tiered depending on services you want. Seeing the new draw odds report get pushed back I am guessing it will be included in one of those membership levels. I have not called to confirm that suspicion however.

27-Oct-15
23 North only has 15 tags, so that means that a NR will never draw in the Bonus pass? That is a question.

Terry

27-Oct-15
I was asked for my opinion on a single tag back in 2013 when the 5% was initiated and I said I thought it should go in the Bonus Pass. It has never come up in further discussions that I personally have had. I can look thru the docs and see if it's there or add it to the questions I will be emailing in the next cpl days. Someone else may know the answer.

In looking thru the docs I believe they are required to make it a available in the Bonus Pass and there, they can give out 50% but not more than. They also round the 10% down.

27-Oct-15
Thanks for keeping us in the Loop W-Bob.

Good luck, Robb

27-Oct-15
You Gotta Believe !!

27-Oct-15
Thanks, Bob!

27-Oct-15
Not knowing AZ's previous format, is this positive, Bob?

27-Oct-15
My understanding of this is that it should create some slim chance to draw, as a NR without having max points. But the 5 % is not a guarantee to NR there rules state up 10%. The other part of this bill which will have unintended consequences is the allowing tags to be returned and points restored. Many people have already figured out to put other non hunters in to bank up points then applying with the non hunter to acquire half of the point value .This change will allow the point "mule" to recycle there points Another concern is in a dry/drought year would the tags in the top units be returned for fear of poor antler growth. Glad that I drew last year as the value of the points going forward will be less .

27-Oct-15
Hans I believe you that it happens but if I had to create an account for a non hunter friend and pay to enter both of us for several years for one tag, I would just buy a LO tag somewhere and not play the game. Edit: hadn't thought about the point mule or applicant being a resident. That would cheapen it up some.

27-Oct-15
Can the "point mule" be a resident and apply with a non-resident?

27-Oct-15
U can apply with a resident or non resident. it doesn't matter. the draw looks at all applicants lumped together so it doesn't matter if your a NR or R, other than as a NR you r limited up to the 10%. I wish they would have separate pools kinda like new mexico to insure the NR got the 10%. So what happens now, basically, is the hunts that there aren't many NR applying on is the 10% doesn't get filled even though there are NR applicants applying for the tags and tags available but because its random and there are more residents applying they draw first. I'm only speaking of the 1-2pass. There's lots of hunts now that the 10% doesn't get filled

27-Oct-15
The NR 5% cap changes do benefit residents in the bonus pass. It definitely hurts NR with "max points" Though give a chance to NR with less than max for certain hunts. Overall it will take longer for NR to reach the bonus pass for tags.

For a solution to the "Point Mule" issue could model Utah's change. Once they realized Grandma was drawing a group tag every year and returning it, they changed the law to EVERY Group Member had to return the tag for the points to be reinstated.

The other way completely around "Point Mule" is to go like Colorado where you CANNOT share points, so the application goes to the lowest points in the app.

27-Oct-15
The tag return is a one time deal and membership is required. The number of tags that can be returned is dependent on the level of membership (I assume this is for party apps) and no fees will be returned. Points will be reinstated and a point for the current year will be awarded.

27-Oct-15
Bob, what are these "services?"

27-Oct-15
Glad i drew out when I did....this is going to make it tough for the high point holders.....I feel bad for those guys as there is no doubt point creep will get ugly.

I have already resigned myself to keep quiet if I draw my unit 9 tag with long odds next year and only the one bonus point....

Bob, sent you a text

27-Oct-15
Bob, To clarify...that 1-2 pass you refer to is all of the Residents and non residents lumped together points don't matter- correct?

27-Oct-15
AZ does not seperate res and nr in the draw, only at the time a tag is drawn do they look to see if it's a nr, and then if the nr cap has been hit. The 1-2 Pass is the pseudo random draw, 80% of the tags, both 1st and 2nd choices looked at, and points are used for addl random numbers. You keep the lowest number.

Idyll, the membership platform has not been finished and is set to go live Jan of 2016, with addl services added over time.

28-Oct-15
This whole change is going to be interesting. on one hand it gives a guy that previously had ZERO chance of drawing a good unit for a decade or more. This of course is in most cases depending on your definition of a good unit.

It does create problems for guys like my buddy with 12 points that THOUGHT he was a lock to draw the unit he wanted next year. So his 10-11 years of planning and buying the license every year goes out the window....he has a few choice words for AZFG.

It will be interesting to see how it affects a unit like 9- where it takes about 17 points to draw anyway. I can't imagine it could creep too much higher.

28-Oct-15
What roughly is the ratio of resident to NR applicants?

28-Oct-15
do you guys think it will help NR who apply for the average units, which usually take 4-6 pp to draw?

28-Oct-15
Question for those that know AZ's rules:

Does this handicap the NRs with high points and slightly favor the NRs with low-medium points?

28-Oct-15
Can I will my AZ points to my kid ? I hope the guys who will be putting in now and building points thinking it will be easier to draw remember how AZFG just bent all us guys over who have a lot of points and have been putting in year after year and never drew a elk tag and now just like that we got backed up several more years.

28-Oct-15
I never expect any of the states I buy points in to keep their system unchanged. The longer you play the game without drawing, the bigger the risk you will get hosed.

28-Oct-15
No one can know for sure how it will play out for specific hunt codes for NR. But one certainty is that NR as a whole will not draw more tags. The math would suggest NR as a whole will draw fewer tags, esp in the higher demand hunts. Assuming no reduction in NR demand, the total size of the NR point pool will increase once this begins. Which means average NR point creep will increase. This is a hosing to the high point classes of NR but probably not severe enough to force guys out en masse.

28-Oct-15
sticksender is so right. Nonresidents will lose tags.

28-Oct-15
You can look at the draw reports and knowing which ones fill in the Bonus Pass, drop the NR allocation by half and calculate how many more years it will take to clean out that max pool. You can guesstimate how many NR are in the subsequent pools and see how old you'll be before you get to the end of the line. For sure, the max pool NR will have their wait doubled. The mid tier units "might" see some creep if guys finally realize they will never draw a unit 9 tag and start applying for hunts they have a reasonable chance to draw.

The new draw report will eliminate all guessing but it's been put to the side unfortunately.

It's just an opinion but I don't see the NR quota being met in the 1-2 Pass for the mid to lower tier hunts.

28-Oct-15
"The other way completely around "Point Mule" is to go like Colorado where you CANNOT share points, so the application goes to the lowest points in the app."

Unfortunately, this solution would further discourage hunters from putting in with friends, or new hunters, which ultimately will cause the end of hunting. This already happens because of the point averaging. It would be even worse if they went to the lowest applicant's point total.

28-Oct-15
I can say from where I am sitting that there is basically little to no input coming from residents on these issues. Very little talk on local discussion forums, no talk in my local club, no talk among my hunting friends. This is being driven by non-residents or certain individuals who have the ear of a Commissioner or two, or possibly someone within the Department with an agenda. If you guys think this is some conspiracy that residents cooked up to get more tags you are flat wrong.

Statistically speaking this will have little to no affect on the vast majority of resident elk hunters who generally have way less points than non-residents on average. Why would we even care?

In my eyes it was less fair to have applicants applying for tags that there was no statistical chance to draw. After the last thread where most of the NR's seemed to not like the proposed change, I advocated to my local Commissioner to leave it alone. I also advocated for no change to the guidelines in regards to early rifle and muzzleloader hunts going before archery in some units on a rotational basis, but it seems both notions fell on deaf ears or my Commissioner was out-numbered on the votes.

28-Oct-15
I'm going to love the change if I draw the unit I want within the next 5 years. Otherwise, it sucks.

All sarcasm aside, there's another way of looking at this: This screws people who like to save up a ton of points and then figure out where and when they want to hunt elk and deer in AZ or other western states where this sort of thing is possible.

It especially screws people who are as defined above and have been doing this for 12-15 years.

For those of us who know where we want to hunt and would take the tag any year, there's a potential for this to be a fantastic change.

I've made it no secret here that I think the western point systems are complete BS as they essentially favor hunters who were born between 1950 and 1970 who were already applying for NR tags and screw everyone who comes after, especially the PP systems, which AZ essentially was as far as NRs were concerned.

Either way you wring your hands, it's going to increase point creep for most units... but... but...

You might just draw early. Even back to back years.

For those of us who plan on applying to AZ for the next 30-40 years, this could be a good thing. For those who will only apply to AZ for another 10 years, you just got switch in 'the 'ol bait and switch.'

29-Oct-15
I lobbied to have 1 guaranteed tag to drop down to the 2nd round and to separate the draw by res/non res.

Seemed simple enough as it would keep the system as a 'bonus point' game instead of the de facto preference point deal it is becoming for an increasing amount of hunt codes. Additionally, this wouldn't screw the people that have been paying G&F's bills for 10-20 years.

Bill

29-Oct-15
Well Im not interested in a unit 9,10,1 etc. But I would be interested in peoples opinion on how it effects the mid to low tier units and ppl's draw strategy? or some of the late hunts? I think more ppl may apply for the unit 9 or 10's because now they have a chance. It may give the NR a better opportunity at the lower end units? IDK?

29-Oct-15
For me as a NR I am all for the change and something I have been waiting for. I have about 7 points for most species outside of my elk application blunder from last year that earned me a non-returnable archery cow tag. By far the stupidest error I have made in my lifetime.

The only people I see if impacting are the max point NR's by cutting their tags in half but then again they still get to participate in the pseudo random 1-2 pass).

The unit I continually applied for was essentially a 10 point unit that I knew would take a decade or more to draw...now as I see it I have a random opportunity to draw before that. Makes buying a license every year a bit more palatable.

The system still beats the full PP system in Colorado or the 100% random system in New Mexico. There is no perfect system but as a non-resident I think Arizona and Utah are as close as you can get to it. Having the random chance...even slim of drawing a strip tag or Unit 9/10 tag will keep people interested.

29-Oct-15
Well... I am a NR about to get screwed by this change. Currently have 18pts. I have jumped threw the hoops, been diligent on a quest for a unit 9 tag, flew down and took the Hunter Ed for the extra point, and now I may (probably) have to wait a few more years for the tag.

And Heat. I have to disagree. Regardless of what you think, this decision will benefit the residents more than NR's. Before, those tags in the premium units would have been guaranteed to go to NR's simply because the NR's have been waiting longer and have higher point totals then the residents. Now they fall back and are available to both residents and NR's. And the residents who apply for the draw FAR out number NR's. So who do you think will benefit from the change more? Get real....

29-Oct-15
BigRed?

Where did I say that we would not get more tags or that residents wouldn't benefit?

Did you consider that approximately half of the tags available are antlerless tags? How many non-residents do you know accumulating bonus points to go on these hunts? Think this is going to affect those tags much?

I stand by my statement that statistically this will have little to no affect on the average Arizona elk hunter.

This change does suck for guys like you that have 18 points no doubt, and as I mentioned I advocated for no change.

What is clear here is that you can never please everybody!

29-Oct-15
Here's where you're not getting it... What you consider "will have little to no affect on the average Arizona elk hunter" has huge affects on the NR hunter. Especially those with max points.

Take unit 9 for example. 100 bull tags with only up to 10 of those available to NR's. For the past several years, all 10 of the tags went to NR's in the bonus draw. Now half of those tags fall to the 1-2 pass where residents out number NR's by a huge statistical factor (wish I knew the numbers). With those kind of odds, just how many of those remaining 5 tags are going to end up in NR hands? If I had to guess, I'd say 0...

If Arizona guaranteed 10% to the NR's, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But the state fought that and won, which makes this little maneuver seem very fishy!

And I guarantee the number of cow tags going to NR's had nothing to do with it. Good luck with that argument...

29-Oct-15
"This change does suck for guys like you that have 18 points no doubt, and as I mentioned I advocated for no change"

Seems like you are the guy that doesn't get it!

29-Oct-15
BigRed,

I think you're forgetting that the 5 NR who get "kicked down" to the 1-2 pass are likely to have much higher points relative to those residents in the 1-2 pass. I don't think they'll have a problem getting the tags, statistically speaking.

Remember that higher points likely mean a lower draw number and thus earlier priority within the 1-2 round.

I'm with Heat on this one.

29-Oct-15
I think it depends on the hunt code.

29-Oct-15
Quote: "I think you're forgetting that the 5 NR who get "kicked down" to the 1-2 pass are likely to have much higher points relative to those residents in the 1-2 pass. I don't think they'll have a problem getting the tags, statistically speaking".

That's not really how it'll work for those 5 individual applicants you cite though. The top-tier point holders will each have only a very slight statistical advantage in the 1-2 pass. They're tossed in with the masses. Compare to a Powerball drawing....if you buy 18 tickets yes you have a better chance than those who only buy 5 tickets, but you're still very unlikely to win.

30-Oct-15
The overall average for the nonresident will be the same. Same number of applicants same number of tags. That would only change if there are more or less applicants because of this change in the system which is not likely to be the case because many will simply not care or understand it - or even know the change took place. This is strictly speaking in terms of averages.

For the guy with a lot of points it will hurt for a guy with only a few points it will help. I drew two years ago so obviously I like the system because now I might draw again soon.

I remember when Arizona first set up their current system I predicted that it would turn into a preference point system. I put up a post here and on monster mulies. I was hoping Arizona would realize it and make a change like this to their system. Of course then I only had a few points which is why!

Arizona was smart to do this because they know if they do not they will loose a lot of nonresident applications.

I know around four or five years ago the trend in Arizona was decreasing applicants I am sure switching back to credit card applications change this but other than that one jump does anyone know if applications in Arizona still declining stable or rising?

30-Oct-15
Edit: time will tell, that's for sure.

30-Oct-15
Bob,

Is there anywhere that shows if any units actually get to the 10% max for NR. I guess it will be a lot easier to max out our allotment.

Hey, where's USO? I miss their lawsuits...I drew two years in a row when they were sticking their fingers in AZ'a business :-)

Only positive thing I ever saw out of their existence.

I've got 12 or 13 elk points now so I guess I'm in no mans land, but, I'm a 2nd their kinda guy. I guess we will see what happens. Can't go next year anyway so another point it will be.

30-Oct-15
Shrewski - With 12 or 13 points, you probably benefit the most from this change. In regards to units 1, 3A/3C, 9 and 10 you were in no mans land, but now have a slight (all be it minute) possibility of drawing. Whereas before this change you had 0% chance.

Like IntruderBN mentioned you'll have a lower draw number than the vast majority of NR's with fewer points. But the advantage still lies with the residents as a whole to cash in on those few tags pulled from the bonus draw due to their overall numbers far exceeding the NR pool as sticksender points out.

30-Oct-15
Well, that's good news :-)

I'm hoping my AZ trip next year is for Goulds as I have 19 points for turkeys. I slipped up one year and missed getting my point or I would have MAX!

Non Residents will never get any beneficial changes, I'm just glad every now and then things go just right and I draw a tag or two out west. I love Arizona and hope one day I can spend my golden years out there. I appreciate the opportunity to play in that playground no matter how great the odds.

30-Oct-15
This is a tough one.

In my opinion it totally screws guys who have a bunch of points (16 or more). I can assure you many of those guys have been trying to draw tags over the years and were either un lucky OR did not fully understand the draw process. I believe in rewarding the diligent, dedicated buyers of license and applications. This group will without a doubt see dreams of a premium tag cut in half.

Now on the other hand if you are running a ponzi scheme and you are running out of newcomers to fund it. You need more applicants. If your applicants are paying attention which the vast majority are. You have to dangle a carrot.

Without all of the numbers and re visiting my Stats notes from college it is only a WAG. BUT In the end the NR hunter will likely see 7-8% of the available allotment and that really hurts when we were already a long shot even for mid tier units given then number of applicants for few tags.

All of the NR applicants points were diluted. It is simply a matter of perspective on what you believe will work best for you. As time goes on you can bet that point creep will prevail and they guys routing this on today will be scratching their heads.

Good Luck on the remaining seasons guys !

30-Oct-15
Shrewski you might be able to draw 27? Great unit! I was there in 2013.

30-Oct-15
Bowkid. Unlucky is my middle name!

Where it also screwed the NR is those applying on a buddy tag. You go into the draw (bonus or 1-2 pass) as a single applicant, but should you get drawn there had to be enough tags available to fill your group (2-4). Now that the pool is cut in half, good luck with those odds as well. I've been applying with a friend who's one point behind me for several years, but the average of our points bumped us back to my point level. We're probably going to have to go in as separate applicants now that the pool has been cut even further.

30-Oct-15

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
I picked this hunt at random but it is pretty much showing a 5%/5% split for the nr tags. Half in the bonus pass and half in the 1-2 pass. The draw report jpeg =(hunt 3128)= shows BOTH bonus pass and the 1-2 pass tags that were drawn, and the point level where drawn. It does not separate res and nr. The data below is from non published reports.

Looking at the data I assume, based on applicant numbers, that the nr pool has a higher point average than the resident pool.

2015 archery 6a NR

Bonus Pass, 77 tags avail, 38 drawn

1-2 Pass, 39 tags avail, 39 drawn

3,706 res 1/2 choice apps

437 nr 1/2 choice apps

04-Nov-15
Regulatory Review Committee approved the article 1 docs. No more than 50% of the NR quota may be allocated in the Bonus Pass draw.

04-Nov-15
Good to know W-Bob....thanks

Good luck, Robb

11-Jan-16
Another thought on this. If "no more than 50%" of the non resident quota may come from the bonus pass, doesn't it stand to reason that the max points for residents may drop some. I'm using the theory that the majority of the highest point holders are non-res. Hard to say as there are many residents with high points also but I'm wondering if we'll see a couple of units where the change will bring the max points down a level. Thoughts?

11-Jan-16
It should with max pool residents drawing an addl 5%.

• Sitka Gear