ElkNut1 29-Oct-15
txhunter58 29-Oct-15
txhunter58 29-Oct-15
Huntcell 29-Oct-15
Unit 9er 01-Nov-15
28-Oct-15

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Would you either Bugle or Cow Call from this spot? It's 8:30 a.m. My son & I have walked 1-1/2 hour & 1400' to get to this area at near sunup. No roads below us or behind us where road hunters may hear. Is this a good spot to you? Where should the elk be?

ElkNut1

28-Oct-15
The elk should be near their bedding areas by now. I would suspect some could be in the dark drainages off to your left above the lake. I would throw out a couple location bugles just to see what happens. I might here something and develop a plan for the evening.

If I hear no bugles. Maybe some cow calls and set tight a bit. It is dark on the face you are on and the thermals should be good for a bit longer. Maybe something might come in to see who you are and you could deflate some lungs with a sharp pointy stick >>>------->

28-Oct-15
Settle in, Let 'er Rip with a Locator ... :) Betting they are bedded already with the looks of that Pic ?? Work the Dark Holes otherwise.

28-Oct-15
assuming I have never been to this area before, I would not bugle or make any elk sound for at least 30 minutes. I would glass and listen at that time of the morning. when the wind was consistent, I would move further down before calling.

it appears you are facing west. if correct, my 1st guess as where the elk will be is below you between the hunter and the lake.

later in the morning I suspect elk with head to the drainage areas off to the left.

28-Oct-15
Paul, I know that spot. Did you hear anything? :)

28-Oct-15
Probably not. I don't like the set up. It appears that you are out in the most exposed place around, and the bull can see you from too far away. Just my thought based on the picture.

28-Oct-15
Not if you believe there may be elk directly below you.

28-Oct-15
All I know is that scenery is why I would love to elk hunt more!

28-Oct-15
Cow call 1st in case a hot bull is close. Wait 5 minutes then buggle.

28-Oct-15
Just sit there and bugle repeatedly until the bull of your dreams appears right in front of you. In a spot that looks that good it's bound to happen just like that! Right? ;)

28-Oct-15
No i had to read my palybook first ohh yea i used it that evening before to start a fire !! Paul what are u trying to accomplish with such nonsense questions

28-Oct-15
Dang Louis! I just blew coffee all over my keyboard. LOL! Good one.

28-Oct-15
Louis was being kind, he has been known to run out of TP on the mountain:) Starting a fire was going easy.

One thing I know for sure is if there was any chance of elk being directly below me I would not be there at 8:30 in the morning!!

28-Oct-15
I like to locate with a bugle BEFORE SUNRISE. Seems to me you are about 3 hours late! :)

Try getting up at 4AM, then hike with headlamps to get into your spot before sunup. Heck, you can even walk right into them in the dark...you don't need to be up on that ridge.

But, It's never too late to bugle, go ahead and try....

or

Sit and glass to find their bedding areas.

28-Oct-15
All I know is that Paul is using his picture and asking a question to make a point. There are some very experienced bow hunters here that could help make the point, or add perspective. It could be a good teaching thread. Let me ask a question. Do you folks that are continuously belittling Paul and others, think you are in anyway encouraging people, not in the clique, to participate and learn? Have you no decency?

28-Oct-15
It's kind of hard to say what I would do from a picture!!

I agree with unit 9er, if that was the spot I was wanting to get to first thing in the AM I would have been there before dawn and do a location bugle in the dark.

If I got there late I would have lit up a fatty and just watched for about an hour and then I would proceed to go plum crazy with the bugle and cow calls and then if no response I would hike back to camp and have lunch and a beer and a nice nap then dream about what to do for the evening hunt! HAHa JK

28-Oct-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo

Swede its the most stupidest question . I will tell u why cause this elknut guy all ready has the answer in his head LOL

its a picture not a real situation so much more comes into play before i throw out a call , then just a picture , but again master elk hunter Paul has it all figured out

Swede Paul is only trying to show some that Paul thinks he is a master elk hunter caller thats all he is trying to do.

28-Oct-15
anybody whos chased elk understands elk are going to be were elk are going to be ! I have walked countless miles of killer looking elk country without a trace of elk .

830 or 9 about time to use the toilet !

28-Oct-15
Swede, what does it really do looking at a picture, there are so many variables to the situation, so you see a lake in the distance and you are on a knoll or a ridge or the top of a hill and you are there at 8:30AM, we don't know anything about the area besides there are no close roads, we can't see any small details, we don't know anything. We could say one thing and and it would be another so what is the point.

The best way to learn from it is to lay out a broader picture with more details and tell us why he did it the way he did and what the response was, In the first place! Then we could add what we might have done.

28-Oct-15
swede, it's kinda hard to make a point using a photo. There's no way of knowing what the wind's doing, or any other important perspective.

And yes, there's many experienced elk hunters that could add perspective, but Paul's managed to alienate the overwhelming majority of said bowhunters. As far as decency, what goes around, comes around. Hell, it didn't take him 2wks to tell the rest of us how stupid we are.

28-Oct-15
Elkaddict, not you too, no place is sacred anymore!! (grin)

Lots of good comments, as we all know there are no wrong ones, we all have our ways of creating interest. This was the first time we'd ever been there, we actually did about 90% of what Elkhunter stated. What we didn't do was move down the mountain half way before bugling. We cow called first to check if anything was close by, we started on low volume with just a few mews, nothing, we then escalated into a whiny tone & higher volume, still nothing. We did this here because in the past we've had bulls ignite with these sounds very close by.

We then waited a few minutes & bugled 1/2 dozen times over a 10 minute period, still nothing. Doesn't mean there were no elk, it just meant there were no rutting elk nearby.

If there was a hot cow below us we would have known it, it wouldn't really matter the time of the morning, we would have eventually received a response from a bull. The time frame was around the 1st week of Sept so no real surprise we didn't receive a bugle back but you never know you gotta try.

We too do lots of calling an hour to hour and a half before daylight, this just wasn't one of those times & we didn't feel like going to the top here any earlier than we did.

Bob H in NH, this is exactly why the thread was posted! So many times we hunters that live here in elk country take for granted how good we have it. I realize most hunters only enjoy this type of scenery 10 days a year so many questions come up such as where do hunters call from, what sounds do you use & how often, etc. A simple photo with many thoughts on how to handle it by all you here & why can really help folks out that have a desire to hunt elk but are baffled by questions that many of us just assume everyone knows. It's as simple as that!

ElkNut1

28-Oct-15
Wow some of the comments on here are just amazing to me, the hate is at times unbearable towards other bowhunters.

Paul if nothing else, it does get me thinking, I have definitely been in that situation before and spent the morning glassing and listening.

cityhunter you have some character issues that you need to work on.

28-Oct-15
So I'm not an expert, not even close. But why wouldn't done of you bugle just because it's 8:30am?

One instance this year... We were out all day and found ourselves on this beautiful north slope. It was 1:30 and decided to let out s bugle. Initially there was no response...until maybe a minute later. A scream from 150 yards away. I moved up and my brother kept calling at him. Bull got pissed and so my brother started raking the cut off the bull. By now we had two other Bulls screaming nearby. One bull even cutoff my brother. This bull finally came into view of me at 40 yards, a big 6x6. Never could get a clear shot. Sucker always kept something in front of his vitals.

So I'm curious, why is 8:30 too late in the morning to bugle?

28-Oct-15
Mossyhorn, 8:30 isn't too late to bugle. Problem is, by just looking at a photo, it's impossible to know what the wind's doing. When you're on top of a ridge and the thermals are flowing uphill, no problem. If the thermals are flowing downhill, BIG problem. Thermals are upslope until around 9am on one of my favorite ridges, then they start switching downhill. If you don't keep this in mind, a perfect setup can head south in a hurry. If a front's approaching, and the wind picks up, then everything can change. When elk hunting, wind trumps everything...period.

28-Oct-15
Mossyhorn, this is just my opinion, I don't know what time of the season you were hunting but often when it is early season or pre rut bulls will just bugle in the early AM and then go quite, I do the same, however I have no problem at anytime throwing out cow calls on an early season hunt.

28-Oct-15
It's not. It's never too late or too early to bugle.

Elk can bugle all day, so why would it be not right to bugle anytime?

If I find myself in a spot like this at 8:30 am, I would probably start with glassing as I catch a snack, and as Paul said, some light cow calling followed by some louder cow calling. Then bugling. Then I'm on the move to wherever I'm going.

Which brings up a good point about cow calls- It's very important to have several different cow calls in your arsenal. Having a cow call that can project loudly from a spot like this can help, or use your bugle tube to project the cow call (I still have my Elk Nut Tube and it has called in many a bull :)). If they can't hear you call then they won't answer! Just as if you are trying to call in a 30MPH wind, no go. In contrast, a cow call you can softly mew when they are in close is also critical.

You aren't hunting elk from a ridge like this and It's not likely you are going to call one up the hill to you. You are locating from here. The elk are down below.

28-Oct-15
Shark Paul burnt his bridges years ago on this site , Shark just cause he holds a bow i need to love him get real .

Shark Paul was PMing guys on this site trying to lure them to his new place .. I can get one of the guys Paul sent PMs 2

28-Oct-15
Mrelite, it was September 9th. One of the coolest setups of our 2 week hunt.

I get the wind part and where we were hunting it was frustrating, even at first light or near dark, the wind was never consistent. It's always be swirling no matter what time it was.

All these threads have given me a lot of insight on being a better elk hunter. There's so much to learn and only being in the woods 2 weeks a year makes it hard to shorten that learning curve. This stuff helps, thanks guys for sharing.

28-Oct-15
Posting on an internet elk forum is really very similar to calling to elk. Its all about presentation. Some people can do one, but not the other, some can do both, and some can do neither.

When I hear an imitation bugle presentation, I know not to respond. There are many on here that are very good in recognizing a fake bugle and they too know better than to respond or engage and will go ‘Meh’ - Don’t waste my time’

Imitation bugles can be very deceptive at times. Sometimes it takes a couple experiences to learn. I would encourage readers to recognize the differences and choose accordingly.

You will not see me reply to certain ‘presented’ elk threads again, and from what Im hearing offline, others are going to do the same.

‘Meh’

28-Oct-15
cityhunter, you also claim that I sent you a PM, we both know that's not true.

Thanks guys! As far as the time of morning it's generally a non issue when bulls are rutting (hot cow)as it's possible for bulls to bugle at any time as they compete for a hot cow, especially not close to the crowds! Any elk in that area would have seen few hunters if any at all because of the climb to where they could have been.

We had not been in that area before so no we didn't know what the area actually looked like beforehand especially if it had burned in the many forest fires we experience each year. There was a small burn area but nothing to worry about. From my sons position we could easily see a 100 yards down & more in certain spots so wind was not an issue even if it were heading down & it was in fact doing that. No elk was that close & wind is generally not a factor when a hill is as steep as it was there, elk would have had to be inside a 100 yards for any chance at all in winding us. Plus we carry a wind checker & knew what the wind was doing in case of a response. After a 100 yards with the steep hill it was like sitting in a 100' treestand, pretty tough to be winded that high up. (grin)

As far as how the morning went here's what took place next. After sitting there a spell we decided to sidehill to our right where the country looked elky to us, there were a few nice meadows & a small basin that way. As we were heading that direction we had moved aprox 150 yards, the wind was going down so all was OK. I caught a movement a head of me about 60 yards out, I could tell by the colors as it slipped into the trees it was an elk & not a deer.

My son was just behind me & I signaled to stop & whispered ELK! The elk wasn't really sure what it saw & I believe it was heading in the direction we came from possibly to the calling it had heard from us, hard to say for sure? I gave a nervous grunt in an attempt to stop it as I didn't know what if it was a cow or bull? It now was 15 yards below our elevation but still out in front of us so wind was perfect. The elk started coming back after the grunt as I saw small movements creeping back through the timber, I turned away from the elk & gave a soft nervous grunt & it stepped out at 40 yards broadside, it was a 6 point bull, wow what a surprise! My son promptly put an arrow right into the bull. Talk about right place right time heck you just never know what can happen.

No we didn't receive an initial response from a bull but all turned out just fine! (grin)

ElkNut1

28-Oct-15
Paul go back and read i said u sent a PM to my friend who then informed the Mods on this site !

Paul are u saying u never sent these PM to guys .

28-Oct-15
Louis, you may want to continue this through a PM. You may want to recall our phone conversation! Call me this evening at 208-315-0562 I'll be happy to talk with you!

No, I did not PM guys to leave the Bowsite & join the ElkNut Forums! I assume this is what you are saying.

ElkNut1

28-Oct-15
I don't know why anybody thinks 8:30 is late in the morning ??

I have killed a pile of bulls between 10:00 and 2:00, and i don't mean bulls that are rutting their asses off !!

Sometimes you guys over think this stuff, or should i say one of you is.

28-Oct-15
Are you guys suggesting another fembot scam?

29-Oct-15
I've never read one negative comment from Paul, but I have seen a lot of garbage from keyboard toughguys that could have just passed this thread by if they didn't want to participate. That said I'd probably glass a little from that open spot and get to someplace where I could call from a more concealed position.I've been pinned down too many times calling from places where I (and the elk) could see too far.

29-Oct-15

29-Oct-15
I wouldn't be to that spot until 1030/1100 as I would hunt UP to that spot as the morning thermals are going down and @ 0830 I would be screwed from my scent.

I would zig-zag hunt across/up that whole basin as it seems to have many micro draws and it looks as if I would have to content with a lot of blow down.

By starting to hunt it at first horizon I would hear any hot bull as I hunted and could play my plan accordingly.

By scouting it in May/June I could get to have very valuable knowledge before summer green up gets it all thick and dense.

That is a sweet looking basin.

Good luck, Robb

29-Oct-15
this feels more like a middle school playground than a bowhunting forum. who fears competition?

nice scenario elknut, way to react in the moment.

29-Oct-15
Rob, very good point about hunting from the bottom up! Issue here was there is no other side to enter from! It was miles away & a lot further to get to that point. We chose going up & hit the top where elk are generally heading in this country & possibly see or hear them.

There are no trails here so boon-docking is the only way to get into much of it but if possible I would have come from the bottom. Thanks!

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
A lot of good information on this thread, which I need right at the stage I'm in in my elk hunting career. It's great to hear what assorted hunters use as strategy. More threads like this please. Thanks to all who provide good elk-hunting thinking and reasoning.

29-Oct-15

OK, how about this spot? Good choice or bad choice?

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
Looks like a great area but I wouldn't call from the middle of a meadow, I would get next to something before I let it rip, I would also be ready to make a move if there was a close response.

29-Oct-15
Just another thought about the middle of a meadow, I was taught a long time ago to never walk through the middle of an open area if you can help it, I know sometimes it is unavoidable but in your picture I can see a nice tree and shade line in the background, that is the path I would be trying to follow or I would have been working the edge of the meadow.

29-Oct-15
I agree with mr elite. Makes a good picture but I would be closer to cover.

29-Oct-15
on the 2nd scenario, get out of the middle of the yard. stand at the edge of the timber before sounding off. possible bedding areas nearby by the looks of it.

from what I can see, it appears to be about mid day. good time to sound off and see what happens. again as others mentioned, need to know what the wind is doing. there's gotta be a wallow nearby.

if there's fresh elk sign in the yard and I did not know the surrounding area well, I would hang there until dark.

29-Oct-15
I agree that it does not look like a good location to call from. Any good tree stand locations nearby?

29-Oct-15
I agree with the above too! Of course years back I had to learn that the hard way! It only takes once or twice before you realize elk could be close by & come storming your way as you scatter to hide or look like a bush! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
Elknut has always been a great resource and gives out lots of good free advice to any and all. Not all agree with his point of view, but that is OK. He doesn't belittle people with different views. He made some mistakes on here in the past and he has paid his dues and I welcome him back. Those that want to keep riding him need to look in the mirror. Not your cup of tea? Be a grown-up and move on

29-Oct-15
First scenario: I agree with consensus: cow call first and then bugle if no replies. Also, as stated, the wind is all important in the equation

And on the second: of course, never bugle from the middle of a meadow. Obvious why you asked the question, but we have all made rookie mistakes and that is one I have done.

29-Oct-15
Bad choice. if your going to call be ready to shoot.

if you want to spook elk stand out in the open.

area looks good need to be prepared don't let the easy ones get away.

01-Nov-15
If the wind was right, one might set up amongst the rocks and trees about where the bugle is pointed. That would kind of put you in-between those 2 meadows.

You never know where the Bull will come from, especially if he's silent, but a good bet is he will try to wind you, so always be aware of your downwind side.

No arrow knocked can be a big mistake when calling, be ready.

• Sitka Gear