ElkNut1 28-Oct-15
TD 29-Oct-15
BULELK1 29-Oct-15
ElkNut1 29-Oct-15
TD 29-Oct-15
28-Oct-15

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
Just thought I would give a quick review of the Exo Mountain Gear 5500. I'm a rookie and do not own other high end packs, so I cannot comment on which one is better or worse. That being said, this was the firs year bivy hunting and had a blast. We ended up killing three six point bulls (two archery and one 1st season Rifle) The archery bulls were amazing and am hoping to write an article on that hunt (I'm not a writer but I'll try one time because the story is incredible) the third was a nice bull my buddy killed during rifle season.

I ended up using my Exo Mountain pack with the meat shelf to haul out two loads of elk. It was my buddies elk, so he had the luxury of hauling the horns, but I hauled my day hunt gear as well as a front shoulder, chuck meat, and backstrap in my first load. We turned right around and got the second load with obviously consisted of the hinds.

I cannot say enough good things about this pack to get meat out. I'm a little anal (I'm a CPA so cannot help it) so I carry a trash bag and was able to keep all the blood off the surface of the pack. The meat carried incredibly well. We decided to haul the meat out bone in, therefore it was heavier, but honestly easier imho because its so much more uniform to carry.

The meat loaded great in pack, the internal meat shelf worked flawlessly, and the additional straps between the frame and pack cinched the meat down perfectly.

I have no affiliation with Exo but after a lot of reviews chose the pack. Not one regret.. Steve and his partners have done great designing the pack and their customer service has been incredible.

The one add that I made (thanks to the guys on Rokslide showing me how to do it) was to attach a Kifaru Grab- It. This enhanced the packs usability a lot, especially when packing your entire camp, but want easy access to clothing/gear).

28-Oct-15

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Very nice! Congrats on the 3 bulls, sweet!

We too use the Exo pack, it's the 3500" it's been great so far, we packed out 5 bulls with ours so far & it's one of the best if not the best I've used! Here's a photo of one that has 102# in it. It's riding high & very comfortable on the 2-1/2 - 3 hr packout.

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
Um... Paul... you used to use a 2200 to pack out elk and thought it was good..... =D

I hear good reviews on that pack. Congrats on the elk. That will put a pack to the test for sure.

29-Oct-15
You had a real good Elk hunting season.

Congrats

I myself use the Cabela's Freighter Frame with a few modifications of straps added, I am on like year 15 with it---

That looks like a very reliable pack frame though.

Good luck, Robb

29-Oct-15
TD, yes we've packed a lot of elk out with the 2200, when it's time to pack we use what we have & go for it! (grin) Since that pack I've used several others but this one is awesome at 4-lb 14.oz-- We have had over 120# on them for hours of packing meat out. We like packs that serve as daypacks then double as serious meat haulers right from the kill site. No going back for us to grab a different pack to haul meat. The Exo is two thumbs up!

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
"We like packs that serve as daypacks then double as serious meat haulers right from the kill site." Fully agree.

I have to fly with mine as well, two packs is out. Fortunately there are several out there that do both well. Exo I have heard does very well, as you stated. I have a friend with a KUIU that works pretty good. I use a Kifaru. MR, Stone Glacier, etc. all have great reputations. Pretty cool to be in a time with such quality and such a wide range of choices. The right pack can and does do it all and do it well.

• Sitka Gear