idacurt 14-Nov-15
Treeline 14-Nov-15
idacurt 14-Nov-15
ElkNut1 15-Nov-15
JJJ 15-Nov-15
shooter 15-Nov-15
Tim in Wa. 15-Nov-15
29-Oct-15
I've been hunting with the Energy Elite compound & although it's a very nice bow my heart is drifting over towards the longbow! I have one that is 61" & 58# at 28" -- I draw 27" with it so am around the 55# mark I'd assume. What I'm wondering is can a longbow be had in the 56" to 58" length at 55# 27" draw? Is this too short & it will stack horribly or is it doable, I'm considering it shorter than the one I have so it's easier to negotiate all the brushy areas we hunt & they're so much lighter! Thanks!

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
You can find longbows that will accommodate a 27" draw and at under 60". Some may be 3 piece hybrid longbows. I really like the 3 piece longbow by A&H Archery. The Super Shrew longbow sold by Ron LaClair have a very good reputation and are available in 56", 58", and 60". Plenty of others if you look around. These bows are smooth drawing, as fast as most recurves, and do not stack at your draw length. You may want to post this over at the Leatherwall as nearly all of those guys shoot traditional equipment. Also you can get a lot of good input at TradGang.com.

29-Oct-15
Go to any big trad event and you will find many good bowyers displaying there works. There are many good bows out there that will work for what you are looking for. Shoot as many different bowyers bows as you can and find the one you like best.

29-Oct-15
most of the longbow makers have a short offering. right now I'm shooting a Stalker Lynx. its Souths new shorter bow and I love it. mine is 56 inches, and I draw 57@26. killed my bull with it this year and love it.

29-Oct-15
There is a GREAT article in the Traditional Bowhunter Magazine about exactly that (Short Longbows). Three Bowyers are included in the article.

29-Oct-15
I have a 55 lb "long"bow that is 56" (longbows are supposed to be long, but this one isn't!).

Made by Jim Reynolds of Thunderstic(k?). Don't know if he's still making bows, but this is my best bow of the four recurve/longbows I have. Smoothest draw, smoothest shot, quiet, and my fastest (even faster than my recurves of higher draw weight). I can't remember the model name though.

So yeah, for sure doable!

29-Oct-15
I have 2 or 3 R/D longbows that are 58" long and pull between 50 and 55 pounds. I killed a moose with one of them this past September.

Darren

29-Oct-15
Check out Big Jim, a sponsor here.

TBB

29-Oct-15
I built one back in '05 off the Thunderstick as a pattern with a reverse handle Reflex-Deflex. Came in at 57# at 27 1/2" and 56" long. Guess it would technically be called a hybrid.

Love that bow - super smooth and fast!

Have piled up a lot of elk, deer, hogs, turkeys and even one buffalo with it over the years!

29-Oct-15
I shoot a Yellowstone. It is a short longbow that shoots great and considerably less expensive than most.

29-Oct-15
That's great news guys but a wow on all the choices! (grin) I will definitely check out these various bows! I also like the idea of finding a Trad Show to test run a couple, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks guys!

Brad, I saw the bull you took with yours but thought it was a recurve? Is it possible to show the photo again, heck we never get tired of seeing bulls taken with trad gear! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
Get a Shrew from LaClair.

Great bow.

29-Oct-15

huntnmuleys's embedded Photo
huntnmuleys's embedded Photo
here ya go. its with the lynx longbow. south told me it was the first elk with the model!!

29-Oct-15
I don't have a hard time with a 64" unless I try to wade through a creek bottom choked with willows, a 2" bow would suck in those though, 1.5" off each end isn't going to change much for you and it probably won't be as pleasant to shoot. 27" draw will work on just about every adult bow made with no stack!

29-Oct-15
check out Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear site. They are locate in Colorado. Good people

29-Oct-15
Brad, yes! Thanks & the bow sure looks small! (grin) I like it!

oldgoat, now that's a classic post, you got a laugh outa me on that one! I've hunted that same brush patch! (grin) Thanks for the insight!

Thanks guys, I will look into all of these & hope to shoot a few to see what fits my style best! Can't wait, I love new things & challenges! If any have more thoughts please share them!

ElkNut1

29-Oct-15
I'm looking to get my hands on a Whippenstick RD longbow...beautiful piece of work from a great guy. I have Ken's Phoenix take down recurve...the sweetest shooter I've ever seen...but want to pair it up.

29-Oct-15
I second Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear and Big Jim, both carry some great used bows that could save you a ton of cash. Also Look up The Footed Shaft as well, carry used bows as well, all 3 are great people to work with.

30-Oct-15
I have a 56" Stalker and draw about 27.5". It does not stack at all at my draw length. Call South Cox and tell him what you're thinking. He'll give it to you straight.

30-Oct-15
Always been a compound shooter so I have no idea what "stack" means. Can someone clarify that for me?

30-Oct-15
When I used the word "stack" to me it means the limbs loading up so much that the last several inches of draw as I reach my anchor point gets very stiff or tough to draw to that anchor point. Some bows will do this for various reasons & others built to ones specs & draw length can be a smooth draw from start to anchor.

ElkNut1

30-Oct-15
I killed an elk with my Dwyer Endeavor 58" 53@28"

Zero stack out to 29"

58" is perfect length for me.

I also have a Shrew Classic Hunter that is shorter but when I use a bow quiver the arrows extend further than the bow and makes resting the lower limb tip on my boot a problem. Sounds minor but it's annoying. There are off-set quiver adapters that can alleviate this problem.

30-Oct-15

kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo
I have a couple 54" shrews and a 58" shrew that do the trick. These were made by Gregg Coffey who now is on his own making Javaman bows. The Elkheart is his equivalent to the bows I have.

30-Oct-15
Always been a compound shooter so I have no idea what "stack" means. Can someone clarify that for me?

LUNG$HOT- When you draw a traditional bow it is supposed to evenly gain weight with each inch draw. For example, the draw weight might increase 3 lbs per in drawn on a bow. With stacking, the bow gains three pounds per inch until about 26 or 27 inches back then gains 5 or 7 lbs per inch instead of three. It doesn't sound like much but it feels harsh. Shoot a really cheap trad bow and a nice smooth trad bow and you will instantly feel what stacking is.

As far as bow suggestions, there are some great ones here, I would add Rich Emery, formerly Don Dow bows, to the mix. His bows are very affordable, He makes a lot of short models and everyone that has shot my R/D bow asked if I was interested in selling it after shooting it. His bows may be the best bows for the money out there.

30-Oct-15
Kadbow, is that a 54" shrew in the photo.

AndyJ, good explanation, thanks for the details of stacking!

ElkNut1

30-Oct-15
ElkNut, it is very important to "test drive" some bows before plunking down your cash. Longbows are very personal, much more so than recurves. You will either love a grip and feel to a particular bow or you will not.

30-Oct-15
Thanks AndyJ that makes sense.

30-Oct-15

kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo
That is my 58". Haven't shot an elk with the 54" yet. Just deer and pronghorn.

30-Oct-15
Not to change the subject but I was wondering what arrows is everyone using wood or carbon. thks

30-Oct-15
Carbon for me

30-Oct-15
Carbon here too! I have shot the beman classics 500 spine with 75 grain insert & 125 grain head, that's 200 grains up front. The total arrow weight has been 500 grains at 55# bow. I like shooting arrows in the 9 grain to 10 grain per pound of draw weight.

ElkNut1

30-Oct-15
Paul - I would also add Mike Treadway to your longbow list. I've got 3 of his. He is great to work with and an excellent bowyer.

-Mitch

31-Oct-15
Mitch thanks, I have heard of Mike but have not seen his bows yet! I really look forward to checking a few of these out, heck I'm drooling now! (grin)

Kadbow, really like the look of that grip! I'm 5'7" so don't have large hands, your grip looks like it would fit me well.

ElkNut1

31-Oct-15
Yes, I love the grip.

31-Oct-15
also look into Lost Creek bows made by Chad Francis. I had one some years back and sold it when I was in a tight spot. it was also a short longbow, and it was unreal. if I could figure out who I sold it to (online sale and deleted all old PM's), id buy it back.

31-Oct-15
Look into a centaur,i have owned them all and you simply will not find a better performing bow and he has short lengths.The longest bow he makes is a 62".You may have to buy a used one though as his wait list is over a year.Theres a reason for that.

01-Nov-15
Guys, thank you! I have no problem with a used one as long as it fits my needs. I had no idea there were so many longbows like this available, it's a real eye-opener, thanks to all for your comments!

kadbow, great looking whitetail!

ElkNut1

01-Nov-15
Treadway, Coffey Shrews/Javaman and Dwyers would be top of the list for smaller hands, small circumference grips. All hard to find used.

01-Nov-15
AndyJ

"Always been a compound shooter so I have no idea what "stack" means. Can someone clarify that for me?"

Stack is "code talk" with tradbow shooters- It is the build up of the bow's poundage before it drops into the "valley."

Just kidding- I have no idea and would also like to know what the term means.

01-Nov-15
If you're anywhere near, a rondevous shoot such as Compton's in Berrien Springs Michigan (traditional only) is a great place to test out various bows.

Lots of vendors with LOTS of bows.

There's also other big trad shoots around the country...ETAR, Baltimore, an others.

Lot of fun too.

02-Nov-15
I agree with those who have mentioned the Shrew bows.

I have a 58" Coffey made Super Shrew Samurai that is 57# @ 27". I draw about 28 and don't notice any stacking with it. For me, it is the best shooting longbow I have ever shot. Don't know exactly what it is, but something about it just "fits". I haven't been in the elk woods for a few years now, but plan to get out there next year and that's probably the bow I'll be carrying.

Like rick said, go to some of the shoots and try as many as you can.

03-Nov-15
Paul; i'm not a short bow guy for the record, but my list would be; Toelke Chinook [58"] I have the SS and its smooth and quiet

Or toelke Pika 54",56" , Kestrel 52"

Javaman

Shrew

If you are ok with performance; 13" Morrison metal riser and short ILF; Uunka, SF Ultimate or WW Winex limbs in recurve or those A&H ACS limbs in longbow style

03-Nov-15

Treeline's embedded Photo
Here is probably the best pic of my bow with an elk.

03-Nov-15

Another one just shows the top of the bow

03-Nov-15

And one more. Just re-checked my bow and it would actually be called a 58". Similar handle and all to the Shrew.

04-Nov-15
Thank you for the comments guys!

Treeline, nice bulls sir! Looks like you took one bull using a different quiver?

ElkNut1

04-Nov-15
There's a bowyer out of St. Maries, ID that makes just what you are looking for....then you can use it to kill a panhandle bull.

I have several of his bows and they are fantastic shooting. He will custom make your bow to your specs with whatever type of wood you like. PM me for further details.

04-Nov-15
Vince Smith at Lonesome Wind Custom Bows can make you a 57" 2 piece take-down.

06-Nov-15
Asking ? whats a shew bow ?

07-Nov-15
You mean a Shrew Bow? It's the one being referred to in the 3 photos above with Treeline in them.

ElkNut1

07-Nov-15
I'm shooting trad bow from 58 to 64 inches. 57 to 76 pounds, drawn 28.25 inches. All fit and draw smooth.

If you are looking for a 58 inch longbow, DO NOT forget about JH traditions. Their Kanati Model is superb. God Bless

14-Nov-15
Shoot a recurve

14-Nov-15
idacurt, I actually have considered a recurve? Do they come with a bow bolt like a longbow does? I like 2 piece over a 3 piece. Thanks for the suggestion! Any one in particular to consider in a shorter 56" or so bow? Thanks!

ElkNut1

14-Nov-15
ElkNut,

Actually 3 different types of quivers - first picture I was using a Cat Quiver, second one I had a Selway, and third I had a Great Northern.

Been using Black Widow take downs for most airline travel hunting because I love the slip-apart take down feature. Have two that are 62" long and shoot the same arrows for just in case one breaks.

14-Nov-15

Not an elk, but the first critter I shot with my home-made longbow. Complete pass-thru double-lung on this guy at 30 yards and the arrow was stuck in a snow patch 20 yards on the other side of him. He made it about 80 yards and slid into home.

14-Nov-15

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo
Elknut1 Hows this? I make three piece recurves,center shot,double carbon yew or foam limbs,horn tips,all the good stuff! 58" would be perfect for your draw length.

14-Nov-15
Dang, hard to believe that was over 10 years ago that I made that bow!

14-Nov-15

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo
Another

14-Nov-15
Idacurt, that is some BEAUTIFUL work there! Gonna have to make more bows and try to learn more about making them prettier... Awesome work!

14-Nov-15

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo
Treeline,thanks very much for the kind words.

Three piece bows are great for Elk hunting especially when you need to pack them to camp.This is about 22" in the case.

15-Nov-15
Treeline, awesome buffalo! Man that's a short bow! Sweet!

idacurt, are you out of Boise? Absolutely beautiful work there. I'd love to take one for a test drive! (grin)

ElkNut1

15-Nov-15

JJJ's embedded Photo
JJJ's embedded Photo
This Black Widow pulled 54@30", and was a passthrough.

15-Nov-15
Google Heartland Longbows and give them a look. Corey is a great guy, fast turn around and a price that won't break the bank. Very nice bows too!

15-Nov-15
idacurt' you do very nice work Tim

• Sitka Gear