Amoebus 03-Nov-15
bowhunter 03-Nov-15
Ridge Ghost 04-Nov-15
Ermine 04-Nov-15
MuddyBull 05-Nov-15
ElkNut1 06-Nov-15
Royboy 07-Nov-15
01-Nov-15
It seems a couple months before our hunting seasons arrive many will put their nose to the grind stone & do their best to lose a few pounds & try to get their bodies into elk shape! This can work well if you're under 45 & in respectable shape already but it seems to get tougher as we grow older. Those pounds & inches don't melt away quite as easily as when we were younger! (grin)

Being in elk shape can be an individual thing as not all are runners & gunners of elk. Some enjoy treestand hunting or ground blinds over water sources. Others may not hunt the roughest/steepest country, some bivy hunt. Some may use horses to get them in deeper & pack out their elk, all these are great! So hunters tailor their workouts according to their hunting style!

How about those who put a high demand on their bodies to perform day in & day out & still able to pack out their elk on their backs miles away from their rig or basecamp.

Do some here workout closer to the seasons opener or do some workout year around & make it a way of life? What works for you & your hunting style? What works for you at your age?

ElkNut1

01-Nov-15
There is no off season! Good thing about living out west is we can elk hunt right up until mid-December. I hit the home gym right after if I hadn't been already. I believe that once staying in shape is engrained in your head, it's just easier to keep at it.

I have extra motivation from here until next year. My 11 year old just passed hunter safety and will be bow hunting with me if she can draw enough weight by then. If not, she's still going after a taste of backcountry scouting this year. I have no doubt I will be carrying most if not all of the gear for both of us come elk season next year. I'd rather get in better shape and have her carry less so she doesn't get burned out. Those Idaho elk better have a relaxing summer because if she has a tag, they're gonna get it.

01-Nov-15
I'm 58. I workout year round....it's just part of my lifestyle. Running, lifting, kickboxing class, anything and everything. This next year, I'm verbally committed to a few races from a 4 miler to a marathon, a trail half marathon, and a Spartan Super. Signing up for events keeps me motivated all year. All leading up to the "main event" which is my annual western hunt.

I don't train for "next season"....I train for the next 20 seasons!

01-Nov-15
What Midwest said! I am 56, too hard to not exercise for several months and then start up again. Biking, swimming and running for me. As it gets colder, more swimming.

01-Nov-15
I'm like Midwest I'll be 55 in December and train year around and have been doing this since I was in my early twenties. I run 4 miles, do upper body strengthening, hike with weighted pack, and hike the mountains.

I'm fortunate because I live at over 6000ft in altitude, so it's not such and issue as those folks that are flatlanders!

Also it's not worth lying off the exercise, then busting your butt several months before the season to get back in shape! Stay in shape year around and it's easier and healthier for you IMO!

01-Nov-15
I know its not very popular among a lot of crowds, but I do Crossfit m-f and go for a long run on saturdays. I did a half earlier this month, and will try to do 3-4 more before season starts. Im also going to try to include more swimming and biking this year because I would like to do an ironman 70.3 soon!

Whatever you do, make it a habit, do it often, and you will enjoy your time in the elk woods a lot more!

01-Nov-15
I'm 48 and work out year round to some degree or another. Big fan of the p-90x workouts as a base to stay fit and add running, biking and or hiking in the spring and summer to ramp it up before the season.

I do enjoy taking a week or two off from the workouts after returning from a really physical hunt.

01-Nov-15
I'm currently recovering from my rifle hunt, taking a week or two off. I will start back up again soon, it's much easier to be in shape in the fall if you never get out of shape.

I do a combination of running, swimming, lifting and sometimes biking but not much of that recently. More swimming in the wintertime, and more running and hiking in the summer.

01-Nov-15
Thanks, great thoughts. no question the year around attitude is best, congrats to the guys who can stay motivated & stay with it!

midwest, love your last sentence, never thought about it like that, that's inspiring! Thanks!

ElkNut1

01-Nov-15
I don't elk hunt, but I workout 5-6 days per week; 12 months a year.

At my age, I have to do something to stay in the game. Can't afford to get behind.

01-Nov-15
craig heck i thought u were 65 not 55.

01-Nov-15
year round for me.

02-Nov-15
It's not "After" season workouts, it's Preseason workouts. :-)

02-Nov-15
I'm a year round grinder. There is no off season for me. Only different focal points...

02-Nov-15
At 51 staying in shape has to be year round, can't do the "time to get in shape" thing anymore, it just takes to long to get in shape and to short to get "out" of shape!

I can't run on roads, that flat out hurts my knees.

I do a mix of things all week long, I have the luxury of a gym at work with fitness classes, across 5 days of work I can get in 2 spinning classes (great legs/cardio), weights and HIIT/tabata/circuit workouts. Been doing this steady since January and am down 25 lbs without really changing diet (which isn't bad to start with!)

Personally I need something to motivate me, especially early. Midwest, you mentioned "Spartan Super", my motivation was the Spartan Trifecta my 23 year old son challenged me to. Spartan races are a blast! Sprints are flat out fun, Supers are tough and the Beast, well, it's a beast! If you can hold 15 min/mile in a Spartan race you will be near the top of the leaders! Those things kick your body and mind in every way imaginable! They are AWESOME.

02-Nov-15
Never give away your base.

NEVER!

02-Nov-15

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
I cut, haul, split, and stack about 5 chords of wood each fall/winter. It's a great workout and hitting things with an axe is good for my demeanor.

I'm fortunate to have my property back up to national forest so regular hikes are easy even with limited time.

When I'm at work in AK, I've taken up running in the gym out of necessity because it's hard to do anything outside with the wind/dark. I'm not a big fan of running. My roommate cross country skis. Im thinking of trying that this winter.

02-Nov-15
Idyll,

I can relate to splitting wood. I love it. It saves money, gives me a little time to myself and is also a pretty good workout.

photo IMG_20150908_185411495_zpstcrqvtsy.jpg

There has been a total of 4 weeks since last December where I have not worked out 3-4 times a week at the gym. I am in considerably better shape than I was a year ago and continue to build on my progress. My plan is to continue to shed weight, increase my cardio ability and add strength. I am shooting for a 20-25% gain in cardio intensity and strength by September.

03-Nov-15
Yup---I am in the year round workouts.

It never ends and I seem all funky when I miss a day or 2---weather, schedule, sick--ect....

I have 2 elk hunts this month in 2 different states---gotta stay in tip-top shape for sure ( last elk hunt is mid-December in Jackson Hole, Wyo) for the long haul.

I love it!

Good luck, Robb

03-Nov-15
Kyle, very true sir!

I'm in the woodcutting category as well, my son & I are just finishing up our stockpiles for this winter, we have 13 cords between us. It's lots of fun & work but don't enjoy being cold! (grin) Great stuff guys, thanks!

Robb, 2 hunts left, wow! Yes sir that can take its toll on a guy, good luck to you!

ElkNut1

03-Nov-15
The only post season workout I'm good at is lifting that gravy covered Thanksgiving dinner to my mouth!

03-Nov-15
I run year round which helps but added dumbbell weights at home and hiking with an increasingly weighted pack this year. I hunt with my pop (80) and brother (55 & smoker) so I am the main meat hauler. I found that I was spending most of my hunt hauling instead of hunting...

So, this year I got a KUIU 1850 and make sure I got each of the 5 animals (antelope, 3 mule deer, 1 whitetail) boned out and carried back the same day. Still got a lot of hunting in which made for a good family hunt. I was pleasantly surprised by the durability of the pack as each load was 60-100 lbs.

I agree with all above (including Backcountry). Much harder to get back into shape than to maintain when you get older.

Also, like Idyll, my pop heats with wood so I head up each summer to help cut, haul, split and load into basement the 3 cords that he needs for a MN winter.

03-Nov-15
My season ended last week so I took a week off. Started the work out routine again, by at 50 my joints are starting to hurt, so I'm thinking of doing some light weights, cardio and swimming.

04-Nov-15
I keep it up year-round. I run myself into the ground in September and lose a ton of weight, so I get back to heavy barbell lifts for the winter to get some strength back. Winter hockey league helps keep my legs and lungs going, as does running, rucking and crossfit wods.

04-Nov-15
Hike and shoot my bow year round. Hunt other things....small game, Mtn Lions etc. summer time is the only real off season for me as far as hunting things. Always an excuse to be in the woods.

05-Nov-15
I started this week for next season.I have shot my bow each day for a few arrows. Some low intensity exercise and will steady increase. I am commited in a big way to being the best I can be. My past year was spent dealing with non hodgekins lymphoma, it doesnt lend itself to shaping you up other than very effective weight loss. Recovery is earned by effort and Im on my way!

06-Nov-15
MuddyBull, you have me pulling for you sir, you're an inspiration to us all. Many of us without your obstacles just flat get lazy at times & take our health for granted, it's great to see your desire & motivation, thanks & good luck sir!

ElkNut1

07-Nov-15
Almost 57 and pretty fit by my daily life. We have a small hobby farm so I am quite busy with hauling hay wood cutting and since I retired from UPS after 27 years I got in 2 elk hunts,guided on a cast and blast trip in mid October , and just finished guiding a rifle elk hunter here in Oregon . Now bring on the snow so I can start backcountry skiing for the next 7 or 8 months. Loving life- thanks honey and thank GOD! Fred

• Sitka Gear