ki-ke 20-Dec-15
SteveB 20-Dec-15
ben yehuda 21-Dec-15
lewis 21-Dec-15
ridgerunnerron 21-Dec-15
ElkNut1 21-Dec-15
05-Nov-15
Update:

I posted this on the original thread, but wasn't sure if anyone would read it as those kind of threads are not usually something you want to go back and re-visit.

If you didn't get to see the original thread I posted it below. This thread is the positive/things looking up side of the story.

I know this is Bowsite, but I have to share this. I'll try to keep the story brief.....

Previously I stated "I think I am going to dust off my gun and head back to the mountains this coming week and continue where I left off. Nothing like the smell of elk and pines. Chicken soup for the soul".....

4 days after I got back home, I got my chance.

05-Nov-15
The smell of Elk & Pines can be good for the soul! Glad to see you're hanging in there. Look forward to your story!

ElkNut1

05-Nov-15

deerslayer's Link
Original thread

05-Nov-15
I haven't rifle hunted for a bull in a long time, but due to the circumstances this year was going to be the exception.

After returning home from the funeral, I worked for 3 days, and then had another 6 days off, but between getting there, setting up camp, coming back for church on Sunday, and heading back out, total hunting time was only going to be around 4 days.

We got in Thursday evening then spent all day Friday hunting with no sightings and no luck. (Although there were plenty of other hunters!)

05-Nov-15
Saturday I decided to sleep in, as I was spent from the whirlwind of the past 2 weeks. It did feel good to be back in elk country, regardless of the amount of other people there and the type of weapon involved. I told my friend who came with me that this was about being out there, not necessarily filling a tag. Saturday afternoon we decided to make the 7 mile ride out and see what might happen. Tons of other hunters coming back on the trail was not a encouraging sign, but it was a beautiful sunny day for a ride and good time to let my mind wander and reflect.

05-Nov-15
I had already spent 10 days during archery chasing elk, but had an abrupt end to the hunt when I was unexpectedly picked up at camp and informed my mom had went to be with the Lord.

After spending 2 weeks with my family back in Michigan loving and supporting each other, I knew what my heart needed was the solace and solitude of the mountains, where I could do some soul searching and maybe let my emotions do what they needed to.

On the way up the mountain that evening, I had a talk with the Lord. I asked Him if it would be okay if my mom got to see the adventures and good parts of my life. I also asked Him if it would be possible to bless the hunt with success, but if not, that was fine too.

05-Nov-15

deerslayer's embedded Photo
An hour later I killed this bull. I fell it was an answer to prayer.

It took 10.5 hrs to get him broke down and packed out, rolling back into camp at 5 am!

I don't know whether or not our loved ones can see our lives here on earth, but I'd like to think my mom got a front row seat on this one.

Very special hunt. Feeling very blessed and humbled.....

God is good...... All the time.

05-Nov-15

He was a warrior with all sorts of busted up tines. It was an an OTC area, that recieves a lot of pressure, and I really didn't have much confidence that it was going to happen. I had actually said the main reason I was out there was not to fill a tag, but have some time to think and heal. It seems the Lord must have known I needed this bull, because it shouldn't have happened, but I'm sure glad it did!

05-Nov-15
Congrats man!

05-Nov-15

One more pic....

Stay tuned.... My dad is coming out next week, and has high hopes of getting on a good muley. I still have my deer tag that I am going to try and fill with bow, and my wife still has a bunch of tags that she might try to fill if she can find some time. Hoping to have some real quality time with my dad, and hopefully help ease his mind a little bit.

Regardless of whether or not we fill tags it's sure to be fun!

05-Nov-15
Very nice. Congrats!

05-Nov-15
Congrats, our God is good!

05-Nov-15
Congratulations on the elk! Hope you have a great hunt with your dad.

05-Nov-15
All the time God is good! Congrats Justin!

05-Nov-15
Great Bull ,glad you got to the mountains to get you head straight . spend as much time as you can with you dad ,hunting or just what ever. so sorry for the lost of our mother. Forrest

05-Nov-15
Awesome!

05-Nov-15
Very cool, con grads and good luck with the muley for your dad.

05-Nov-15
Great bull!

05-Nov-15
HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!

It amazes me to the day, how the Lord knows what we need, when we need it, and NEVER ceases to give it to those who worship him. This made my day. There is lots of good ahead of you in this life. Keep the faith.

God Bless brother. And, congrats on a great bull.

05-Nov-15
Great bull no matter the tool, and good eats. Congrats !

05-Nov-15
I knew she would be looking out for ya. Saw this coming . Congrats hope all is well with the family. Hunt

05-Nov-15
Justin you have your head on straight and your priorities in place...sorry about the loss of your mom, enjoy your time with your dad and congrats on that awesome bull!

05-Nov-15
YES!!!!

God does great things ... a story like this reminds me of the photo showing 2 sets of foot prints in the sand and sometimes just one set. You and the Lord walking together - then the Lord carrying you when you most need it.

I truely believe that "praying" out in "Gods Chapel" is much more rewarding than in a Man made Chapel.

It wont be long and there will again be two sets of foot prints in the sand .... maybe even a third set as your Mother also leaves her set of prints.

Heal well Justin.

05-Nov-15
Excellent!

06-Nov-15
Damn Nice!

For sure your mom was watching!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

06-Nov-15
Wish I was there for the kill.

Glad I missed the pack out!!! HAHA!

06-Nov-15
Very well done! Your mom would be most proud! Congrats on a great bull!!!!

ElkNut1

06-Nov-15
congrats man, glad you were able to make it back out!

06-Nov-15
Congrats Justin. Your mom had a front row seat.

06-Nov-15
Very nice. Congrats.

06-Nov-15
Great bull congrats! Your mom is smiling!

07-Nov-15
Congrats and on heck of a bull

07-Nov-15
Beautiful Bull! thanks for sharing!

13-Nov-15

Update #2

Dad made it out Tuesday evening. It is clear the reality of my mom being gone is really starting to sink in for him, and I was hoping to help get his mind off of things, and help him kill a good buck.

Wednesday evening we made it out and had some action with a group of does and small bucks, but nothing we were looking for. Thursday morning we got there early, and quickly got into a large group of mule deer in a crp field. Same story as before, tons of does and small bucks.

They had all but filtered out when I noticed that there was a buck about 800 yards out, heading our direction with his nose to the ground. I couldn't tell what he was, but I could see the sun glinting off enough rack to know we should get a closer look. We dropped down and quickly made our way towards him.

As we popped up over the knoll, the buck was now walking broadside close to 400 yds out. I quickly told dad I was pretty sure it was a whitetail, but dad was clearly in kill mode! He asked me if he should shoot, and I shrugged my shoulders knowing he definitely wanted to.

(Most of you might not comprehend this, I can't myself, but Dad has not shot a whitetail in 22 yrs due to a vow he had made to my mom to not hunt whitetails, because of the way it consumed him, and the time it was taking away from his young family. If my dad is anything, he's a man of his word, and had stuck to his vow all these years. Now that my mom is gone he said he felt free to hunt them again.)

Dad was having a hard time steadying his rifle, and wanted to use my shoulder. I was still thinking he was just going to get a better look, when the gun went off.

I found the deer in the camera just in time to see it go down! 382 yards off a shoulder and he hadn't missed! We quickly made our way over and found a respectable whitetail, dad's first whitetail in over 20 years, and his best buck to date!

Even though he wanted a muley, I could tell he was pretty pleased with himself and the buck. It would seem my mom is doing a good job asking the Lord to bless her guys with success!

I'm now heading out to spend some time with my beloved bow, and try to find a good whitetail myself. Hopefully my mom doesn't mind working overtime asking the Lord to bless a little more!

I'll keep you posted.....

13-Nov-15
I'm happy for you and your dad.

Congrats!

13-Nov-15
Life is good buddy. Keep smiling!

13-Nov-15
Great job!

13-Nov-15
Life is very good!

What a great outcome for you and your family!

Mark

13-Nov-15
Very nice! Keep keeping the mind busy!Congrats on a fine buck for your dad!

ElkNut1

13-Nov-15
Nice work for the Beyers clan

29-Nov-15

Got back out the weekend of the 21/22nd. Dad came with, but was enjoying himself in the nice, warm hotel room while I enjoyed the cold, frosty November air.

I was doing my best to keep dad upbeat and positive while trying to stay somewhat focused on getting my tags punched. Had a buck and a doe tag, and wasn't going to wait for that order....

Saturday night I threaded this doe at 57, and dad tagged along for the recovery.

29-Nov-15
I had been having a tough time tuning my fixed heads, so I went and did the unthinkable, and purchased a pack of mechs. (which shall remain nameless;) I had only bought 3, but had them zipping in with my fp's out to a good distance. My shot on Saturday evening confirmed their accuracy. I decided to go buy another pack just to be safe, but told dad I really only needed 2. He laughed at my overconfidence, but I just kept pouring it on thick, enjoying watching him laugh!

29-Nov-15

Sunday morning I made good on my words. I had spent a decent amount of time in the past week in the stand, and had yet to see a good buck. I had seen a lot of different bucks, but just not one I was looking for. The area I hunt has a lot of predation between vehicles and hunters, and I had only had gotten 2 pics of decent bucks in the pre-season. At this point I had no idea whether or not they were still alive. (Montana doesn't allow trail cams during season)

Saturday morning however, I had caught a glimpse of a buck that looked decent, but never got a real great look.

Sunday am was the quintessential November morning. I had no sooner got set up in the stand when I noticed 3 does feeding out to my left. About 20 mins into the hunt I heard a grunt. Thinking it would be another small buck I casually glanced up, but was pleasantly surprised to see the same buck from the morning before, heading straight for a fence opening 30 yards in front of me. I could tell he wasn't huge, but he was big enough for me at this point in the game.

He came under the tree to the right of the pic, and then began to walk to the left. I had the camera rolling, and got him stopped just past the dark bush in the left of the pic next to the fence line.

29-Nov-15

I had originally set this stand to shoot sitting down. When he came under the fence he had been heading to my right. Being a right handed shooter I had stood up, but then he turned and headed to my left. Not a problem, except that I had left some overhanging branches above me for cover, and didn't realize that as an issue until I drew bow standing and my cam/limb got caught up in the overhanging branches. I had to fight with the branches for about 2-3 seconds to get free. This whole time the buck was locked onto the commotion, staring directly at me while this debacle unfolded. I figured he was going to bolt, but decided if he did, then it was what it was.

I freed my bow and bore down on him with my 30 yd pin. I was amazed he was still standing there watching me. I figured it was meant to be, and he had his chance. The shot felt good, and although it was a bit high, my angle was plenty steep enough and I got the goods.

50 yards and 12 seconds later this was my view.....

29-Nov-15

29-Nov-15

Gotta love quick kills! Broken G2 and all I was still happy with him! As I notched my last tag for the year with my dad by my side, I realized how truly blessed I am, and was thankful that the Lord allowed me to have such blessings even in the middle of a big trial. Although I really miss my mom, I was very privileged to have my dad with me for this very special weekend. We took pics and recovery footage and loaded him up.

I then pulled my stands from this property. This was the last time I'd be able to hunt it, as they are now selling it for development. I have killed 3 bucks and 2 does off this place in the past few years, and have a lot of really good memories. Much like the passing of my mom I realize that time marches on.....

A bittersweet season to be sure, but counting my blessings knowing that "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8)

29-Nov-15
Thanks for the update Justin. Congratulations on getting to spend some quality time with your dad, and on punching those two tags. That's a great way to end the season and your time on the property.

30-Nov-15
Thanks for the update Justin. You are right, time marches on. If you spend too much time looking in the rearview, you'll completely miss what's coming up in the windshield.

God has bigger plans for us than maintaining the status quo.

30-Nov-15
Sorry to hear of your Mom's passing, Justin. Glad you got to spend some great time with your dad in the woods as you grieve.

All of us will come to the end of our lives sooner than we expect. We should all hope to have the testimony and confidence that you have in your mother being in the presence of Christ for eternity.

30-Nov-15
Jason, Agreed!!!

30-Nov-15

Got to spend Thanksgiving evening taking my dad waterfowl hunting for his first time in 41 years! The last and only time he went was when he was 24. Said he was miserably cold and didn't kill a thing. Well, I think I got his perspective changed on that. Not an overabundance of shooting, but not bad for an evening's work. Dad got his first duck at age 65. a green winged teal. Pretty special.... With that we closed out our trip, and my season. I'll be chasing ducks/geese a couple more times, but for the most part the sun has set on another blessed season. Can't wait till next year. I'm hoping for quite a few more successful hunts with my dad, Lord willing. Thanks for following along.

30-Nov-15
You 3 make a very impressive family. Well done and well told.

30-Nov-15
Congrats Justin. Those deer trails are amazing.

02-Dec-15
Justin, wonderful two threads. Sorry for your loss. Yes, life is short, but with blessings. Thanks for sharing.

02-Dec-15
Very nice, thanks for taking us along.

02-Dec-15
My goodness, it just gets better. Congrats my brother and God Bless

03-Dec-15
I’m glad to see your dad got out there and had some fun and fellowship.

I’m sure I will hear all about it from his prospective.

03-Dec-15
Very nice. Thanks for taking us along.

20-Dec-15

deerslayer's Link
Here's some footage from the hunts.....

20-Dec-15
This thread is fantastic! This, and others like it, is what makes BS a special place. Fits in great with Orionsbros' thread on perspective....

Thanks again for sharing

20-Dec-15
Thanks for sharing this thread Justin, and for not being afraid to include your faith. Great adventures, great life stories, and a great example of what our sport is really all about.

21-Dec-15
Thanks for sharing Justin. Really great.

21-Dec-15
Enjoyed it God bless and Merry Christmas Lewis

21-Dec-15
Great to read all of this. Thx for sharing.

21-Dec-15
Justin, good stuff! Keep that relationship & bond with your Dad going! Have a Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear