Mule Power 03-Dec-15
CurveBow 03-Dec-15
Vids 03-Dec-15
IdyllwildArcher 03-Dec-15
DonVathome 05-Dec-15
Kevin Dill 05-Dec-15
Mule Power 06-Dec-15
25-Nov-15
If the crud really hits the fan and it is life or death - and no phones (cell or sat) what is better? I think partner BUT not by much. If you do not hunt together and get hurt hunting, most likely a partner does no good but a PLB is there. Bad injury a partner most likely can just take your dying request, a PLB signal medivac.

I always pack in solo my significant others always worry - and the PLB=safety line just seems to piss them off more:)

Which do you think is safest for the worst case scenario? By how much?

25-Nov-15
I would go with the PLB - because in the time it would take a partner to hike out, drive 45 minutes to find cell service, get back to me with the rescue, it could be bad.

When I was guiding and my hunter had a massive heart attack on the mountain, I had no PLB or anything else to reach out. I had his adult son, who was like one of the Three Stooges, and was no help. I don't think quicker response would have saved his life, but in a different circumstance, it might.

I ALWAYS carry a SPOT with me now, whether hiking, fishing, scouting, or hunting. 99% of my hunting and adventuring is solo, so having that as a safety line gives me and my wife some peace of mind.

25-Nov-15
There you go Don, now you got me thinking I'm going to die next time on go hunting.. :)

Anyway Deaths are very rare why hunting. My guess is 90% of the time it's a leg injury that's going to put you in danger.. Being that I most of the time hunt with a partner,,"but" do venture off many of times on our own.. I say the plb is your best bet.. Even if your with a partner and you get hurt bad enough that you need that partner. It's best that he stays with you and help comes to you, if your hurt that bad..

Ed

Ps,, anyone know what most back country injury's are, that help is needed???

25-Nov-15
I always worry that I might be hurt to bad to activate the plb! But it's the best bet since I don't always have a partner with me!

25-Nov-15
If hunting alone especially in another state or hunting country you know little about then a PLB or similar device would be a great choice as your only alternative to be as safe as possible. Between the two a hunting partner can be priceless!

Consider both the device & a hunting partner & your bases are covered!

I mention hunting partner as the choice if you had to choose one because you never know the extent of what an emergency may call for. I've been involved in several instances where a PLB or similar device would not have helped out,such things as a broken leg or something where you still have your faculties together can aid you as you await help with the PLB.

I've been in several spots where a hunter stabbed himself very seriously while breaking down an elk where bleeding had to be stopped immediately. These wounds can be in such awkward spots that the wounded individual could have serious difficulty in reaching the wound to wrap up & stop bleeding. One was my son when he was 18, scared me half to death as we were several miles in & his knife slipped through the elks hide & into the back of his right leg. Blood gushed like nothing I'd ever seen. My son was in a slight panic & I rushed through my pack getting out gauze & anything I could find to stop the bleeding.

I'm no doctor but I got it slowed down with gauze & flagging tape & I mean lots of it! The knife went in aprox 4" -- He could no way get out of there without my help, It took us hours to do so but got him out with him hanging on to me & straight to a hospital an hour or so away. We let the bull lay where he was & I returned later that day to take care of him with help.

In another instance I was in OR calling for another hunter/friend. (first time I'd met this guy) On the 1st day out we had gone about a mile & a half in from our rig at daylight. I noticed he had lagged behind me a bit but just figured he wasn't in too good a shape although he appeared to be in excellent shape. We moved in deeper to the 2 mile depth & really could tell he had slowed a bunch. We stopped & rested & I teased him a bit about not being able to keep up with this old guy! (grin) He said he'd felt funny but I just figured it was an excuse.

After about 3 miles in through some fairly rugged terrain & heavily timbered country I looked back at him & holy cow his entire face was swollen & it had a very red rash with these bumps all over his face & arms. It all happened in minutes! I looked at him in shock as he slumped to the ground & was breathing like he was having contractions. I rushed to his side trying to find out what the hell was happening here, he was 40 so I didn't think heart attack but knew he wasn't taking another step right then.

I got as much water in him as I could & he told me he was completely zapped of energy in a mumbling voice. I had no idea what was wrong? We sat there for 20 minutes or so & he said he could walk some. I loaded his pack on top of mine & his bow & tried helping him walk, we made it aprox 40 yards & down he went, we did this a 1/2 dozen times & he was completely delirious as to where he was & what he was doing. This really scared me to tell you the truth.

After several attempts to get him out I told him to stay put & I'd head back to the rig & get help, he pleaded with me not to leave him, god I felt bad, I was in a real quandary here. I decided to stay with him & get him out. This was about 10 a.m. & we got out an hour before dark, what a freaking day that was. I'm glad I did not leave him alone to get help, I honestly felt he was so delirious that he would have moved many times in who knows what direction & that would have been difficult to find him even if he did have a PLB.

If I would have had one there I would have used it right then & there! So having a PLB unit & a friend may be a great choice!

ElkNut1

25-Nov-15
I don't know about safest, but I would probably opt for PLB. If I were in a life/death circumstance, I would not want to put this burden on my partner.

If it were an instant death, no partner or device would save me. If I am severely hurt and conscious, I will activate a device. (I have an InReach). Different technology than PLB, but you get the point.

Technology will mobilize professional responders in the shortest amount of time without adding the emotional burden to my friend. If your partner finds you, he/she will still need to hike out and get help (Which adds response time), or activate technology to get you out. (Which you could have done on your own and now you have added circumstances to your partner also) If you are using a partner as a safety crutch and things went way south for you on a hunt, their hunt is destroyed also.

In thinking about your question Don, I think about the things that would likely be the source of life/death. This past fall, a hunter in ID was tracking an elk and snapped his leg. He spent 3+ days dragging himself until he was finally found. Would have a partner saved him? Yup. Would have technology saved him? Yup. Will technology fail you? Sometimes. Will your partner find you? Maybe.

Other situations such as predators I don't worry about too much. I have situational awareness and take preventative measures. If I mountain lion wanted to jump me, no partner or or PLB will keep him from snapping my neck. In the case of a grizz and I cannot deploy my pepper spray fast enough, buddy would not be able to shoot any faster than I can flip the safety and deploy spray rom my hip. A partner could shoot or spray it if it were chewing on me, assuming he was in a position for a clear shot. But this assumes he and I and were hunting together and he was very close. Statistically, how many times does this situation happen in a year? (I will bet I could count on one hand). How many hunters are hurt or killed driving to from a hunt? I will bet more than any predator.

Sorry, someone must have said squirrel and I veered left!

Good question to ponder Don! (And I apologize for the soapbox speech. It is the off season and we have too much time!)

25-Nov-15
Is the hunter a great elk caller?

25-Nov-15
I hunt solo a lot and use a PLB. However, one or two people know where I will be. I also send out my location from the PLB at least once per day.

Also, when I'm hunting solo I never leave the PLB. It's always in my pack but for some reason if I need to stalk an animal without my pack...I take it out and put in my pocket (tethered to a belt loop). It only takes a few seconds to do it. My reasoning is if I break a foot...again or leg and I'm a few hundred yards from my pack the PLB is useless!

25-Nov-15
I bought a Delorme InReach this year, really to make my wife feel more at ease, as I love to solo in the backcountry all year long. What I have found about this device, is that it eases my mind about things going on at home as well, because I can text back and forth with my wife, not just send her a canned "ALL OK" message. The ability to text, ask her how the kids are doing, how things are going, etc. is really nice. Plus, each message is coded with a link to the delorme website and she can see exactly where I am at.

25-Nov-15
I use the Delorme InReach too. Seemed like the best option for me as I hunt by myself 90% of the time. I have the year round subscription since I am in places that a cell phone will not work at least part of every month of the year. I also like that I can receive messages so I know if something serious happens at home.

25-Nov-15
So, does the In Reach pick up satellites better that IPhones so you can receive or transmit a message in difficult areas with no phone service?

ElkNut1

25-Nov-15
Used an InReach for the first time this year. Simply awesome! Not just for the safety factor but my gf could send me the latest weather forecast when I requested it.

25-Nov-15
Paul

In Reach works off of Iridium satellite constellation. (Not ground based) So yes it will work in places cell phones won't.

I bought it for same reasons as others noted above. It also has an SOS button if your in deep trouble. (If I remember it contacts a 24/7 center who direct S&R) I have not been all over the world, but my research found guys using it in lower 48 and Alaska w/o issue.

I went this route also because I can go month to month and no annual subscription needed. (In my case, I activated it for August and Sept for a scouting and hunting trip) Less than $100 for piece of mind for me and my family is worth it.

Dang it, there goes that squirrel again!

25-Nov-15
iphones do not pickup satellites at all. They simply work off cell towers...cell phone service. InReach is a satellite transmitter, like a sat phone but for text only.

25-Nov-15
Thanks guys! Looks cool! Better get one Don! (grin)

ElkNut1

25-Nov-15
DeLorme In Reach for me also, even when hunting with a partner. Keep it with me 24/7 on any hunt where cell service is a no go.

25-Nov-15
My partner and I use Garmin Rhinos, GPS with walkie talkie, you can sync and kwon where each other are at all times. But I do carry a Sat phone as well.

25-Nov-15
So, for those with the In Reach, how does the battery life work? It says that it will last 10 hours on one charge. If you are going deep in a wilderness area for a week, do you just turn it on when you are wanting to text something?

25-Nov-15
SPOT Messenger II for me, but would look at the InReach if buying one today. The monthly bill is alot more than SPOT but alot more capability too.

25-Nov-15
Used SPOT for several years. Switched to Delorme InReach and WAY WAY better. Two-way texting so you can be sure someone received your message and can keep tabs on things at home.

Peace of mind as taught daughter to use SPOT and now Delorme. "if daddy falls and cracks his head open, push SOS and someone will come rescue you".

InReach batter lasts long time. I only turn on/off when I want to send or check something. Lasts week plus easy. Even if used 30-min each day, that 10-hour charge would last 20-days. I doubt I even have it on that much per day. You can force it to "check messages" any time you turn it on, so you'll know within a minute or two whether someone tried to send you a message.

Monthly charge for Delorme is more than SPOT, but you can do it as an ala carte and only turn on for months you need it.

25-Nov-15
I chose the Inreach because of the better satellite coverage over the spot and the texting option.Worked great this year without issue.

25-Nov-15
Amoebus- like smarba mentioned, battery lasts a long time. Keep in mind, 10 hours is if you set breadcrumb at fastest rate. (10 minutes). I don't hunt that fast! You can customize parameters. You could also Bluetooth with phone if you want to type faster. (I had built a check in message to save typing). Typing is the only knock on InReach. It takes me 10 minutes to type 3 sentences, so prebuilt messages are great! EX Back at camp and everything is fine.

I would turn mine on at night, check in and turn off. Checked in a few times during the hunt also. (My daughters boyfriend was going to propose while I was in the field. Good boy and asked for my permission before I left!) I had 88% battery on day 9 when I packed out.

25-Nov-15
Best would have to be a hunting partner...

Pushing a button isn't going to solve any immediate problems of course.

I'm looking for an alternate to sat phones as they don't work so well down in those canyons...i'm hoping garmin comes up with something.

25-Nov-15
For me it's a PLB. The way I look at it is if I am in a situation where I need my partner to help me it is probably bad enough to push the oh chit button.

If I really cared about communicating with anyone I'd add a sat phone over an Inreach or Spot so I could actually communicate in real time. My wife is very used to times when I'm hunting and out of reach for days and I'm very at home comfortable and careful when I'm out there especially if I'm alone for the day. If I had young kids I may feel differently.

I wouldn't say I'm over confident but once you pull strings of mules through the mountains in the middle of the night for awhile walking along on your own 2 feet seems pretty safe. The key is to never panic. That and realizing we are all going to die at some point. I guess at that point though I'd want some kind of device to be able to make it semi live so you all knew what actually happened.

25-Nov-15
Mule Power, I'm right there with you. I could have written your post (except I only had one mule, the rest horses..) Never had a wreck with them in the night, though.

:-)

The one place where I might prefer a partner over an SOS button would be if I collapsed totally and needed CPR. But then, unless he was right there, he wouldn't know it happened and probably wouldn't find me. I was right there with my guided hunter, and still couldn't save him with CPR.

I feel like the comprehensive survival/first aid kit that's with me all the time will allow me to live until the EMTs arrive if I don't panic and haven't done something like slice a major artery. If that happened a buddy would only be useful to hear my final goodbyes. That's why I also have a small pen and paper in my kit...

25-Nov-15
I'll take the "PBR"

25-Nov-15
PLB all the way. I chose the ACR ResQlink. It is registered and there is peace of mind knowing that when I push the button the cavalry is scrambled and on the way and my wife is notified by SAR. This is the same device used by ships and planes around the world. No monthly fee either. However, the battery is pricey and can only be replaced by ACR. But it is good for 5 year battery life.

My wife may worry a little bit when I'm over due. But she knows if anything is seriously wrong I'd push the button. For communicating with her, I use a phone. Usually find service somewhere.

26-Nov-15
If my memory serves me right, which is questionable, there is a PLB that also has the ability to text. Might be an annual or monthly fee with that one. That's one beauty of a PLB like ResQLink. Other than a new battery every 5 years there is no fee once you buy it.

26-Nov-15
The one downside to ResQLink and SPOT is that it notifies your contacts if you hit SOS. Great if you're calling in the Mounties for yourself, but if you encounter someone else who needs help and you call SOS, your "others" might freak out for no reason.

I use the SPOT year round and have advised my wife that this could happen. But definitely an advantage to the InReach that allows you to text, "I'm ok, just found some other guy with a broken leg" so nobody worries about you and scrambles to reach a trailhead to be there when they haul you out.

26-Nov-15
Great point on the Inreach. When you do hit SOS you can communicate to the "Calvary" and let them know what is going on and this will help them decide on what kind of response is needed.

26-Nov-15
It seems to me most backcountry issues are not life threatening; cut badly, Sickness, twisted ankle, broken bone, a bear nips your ear,etc- all stuff a hunting partner can help with.

I know some of the spots i'm thinking of in the backcountry a helo cannot land. I would think it might take rescue folks a while to get to you in a lot of areas.

26-Nov-15
The mrs insisted since the old gray hair was alone in the toolies. So I decided to get the PLB this year and carried it in my pack. Now there is a little more peace for her ( and me too I suppose)

26-Nov-15
The plb is available to anyone. No reason to choose one over the other. Why not always have plb and use partner when you can

03-Dec-15
Good points guys, also, for sure, there are a lot of scenarios where a PLB will save you and a partner will not.

My plb is ALWAYS in my right knee pocket of my sitka pants. My sitka pants are always on except at night and they are (you guessed it) by my right knee in my tent.

Obviously both is best - but I have a very difficult time finding someone willing to do the hunts I do - and often times only 1 tag available anyway!

I am not familiar with new gadgets that let you text, I have a resQ. NOTE many do NOT do the same thing as a plb. I know the SPOT used to (might still) not do the same thing - notify same people as a plb.

Also a PLB has no annual fee, they are small and well worth it. I only worry about the burden on search and rescue in years to come as they get more popular. $250 is 1/4 the price of most NR elk tags!

a PLB in my pack and a contractor garbage bag, firestarter, emergency bivy (like a space blanket but a bivy - TINY and $15!), white trash bag and common sense let me go after elk miles away in the opposite direction of camp with 1 hour of light - knowing worst case I siwash.

Be safe!

03-Dec-15
To me it's never a matter of either-or. The PLB goes along and that's non-negotiable.

My PLB is a FastFind Ranger which is ultra small, light and superbly simple. I've checked into the InReach and it looks like a great unit, but I don't want the subscription thing and sending text messages is not important for me. I want my PLB battery to be fully charged and ready to go, especially when I'm alone in the backcountry of Alaska or Canada. To me a PLB is the equivalent of a pilot's eject button. It's there if disaster hits, but I'm not touching it otherwise.

A good partner offers things you simply cannot measure. I think margin-of-safety is far better with a partner as long as they are experienced and understand how to proceed in the event of an incident. Some partners would be a useless as ti....never mind. When 2 guys are well-matched and both have safety in mind, there is a level of comfort there not offered by any electronic device.

I was alone in Alaska back in September. I carried a PLB in my pocket every single day. My pack held an Iridium satellite phone. The nearest human was a long way from my mountain pass. Good thing I had both, but that's another story for another time.

03-Dec-15
My mind really can't get past the same logic Bou'bound is using. Entertaining the hypothetical, though, I'd rather have the PLB.

Comparing "off the shelf" capabilities of a PLB versus the abilities of the average available partner, the only instances when a partner would be more useful would be if there were a loss of consciousness or arterial bleeding.

Now, if stated unquantified partner is a paramedic steeped in SAR protocols, I'd like to have that person around. Of course, were that the case, he/she would have a PLB. :)

03-Dec-15
I like the fact that the inreach is a PLB and communicator all in one. I used to rent an Iridium sat phone for any trip where there would be no cell coverage. That's no longer necessary and the cost of the in reach, including the texting plan, is far less than the sat phone route. It's also nice to be able to send and receive messages when it's convenient without worrying about what time it is at home especially when hunting in significantly different time zones.

03-Dec-15
Maybe I should have said that having one doesn't make up for lacking the other.

03-Dec-15
I just got my monthly bill for my InReach. $15. After thinking about it, that's one heck of a deal. Especially considering I'm still archery elk hunting hiking solo in some steep stuff this time of year.

03-Dec-15
Two very valid points.... yes both partners and locator beacons are priceless. But lots of times even when I have a partner I am hunting solo during the day. We're not always together. So for that reason if I had to pick it would be the PLB. Plus obviously a partner can't fly me to a medical facility.

The other thing is coverage. The InReach and Spot might work flawlessly down here... I don't know because I've never used either. But in Alaska I have heard of guys getting marginal coverage or none and having messages delayed for substantial periods. For that reason I prefer the PLB which uses a totally different sat system than the other two. Especially for the times I am hunting somewhere really remote which is when it can count most.

03-Dec-15
I have a SPOT and a Delorme In Reach. Both require a fee. The SPOT can send cryptic messages that you're OK to reassure those at home; but the messages have to be done on a computer beforehand. The In Reach pairs with my iPhone and you can do actual texts up to 140 characters (I think that's the limit - the unit tells you how many characters over you are!)

I have used both in remote Canadian hunts, way off the grid. While either one could have summoned 911 or other help, I have never needed it (thankfully!). Between the 2, the InReach is the better unit for 2 reasons: 1) can do actual texts (send & receive); and 2) you only pay for the timeframe you want. I pay for 2 months of service and then cancel when its not hunting season.

Anyone want to buy a SPOT?

>>>>-------->

03-Dec-15
I was also thinking that a PLB is better since my partner and I will split up half the time anyways. Both have their benefits though.

I switched from SPOT to InReach as well. I really like being able to receive texts, with three young kids at home who knows what can happen that I need to know about.

I also have a SPOT Gen 1 available for $50 if someone wants to buy it.

03-Dec-15
"Ps,, anyone know what most back country injury's are, that help is needed???"

I'd guess bruised ego, broken vagina, or tear gland fatigue.

05-Dec-15
Good input. This thread was mostly because my significant other is always very worried when I leave. I always here "It would be different if you had a partner I hate that you go alone"

I try to explain my plb to deaf ears.

The age old men think with logic and woman think with emotion!

05-Dec-15
Don....

If you'd married one of your hunting buddies you wouldn't have a problem.

06-Dec-15

Mule Power's Link
I realize that it is convenient to e able to text messages back home. But the bottom line is being rescued when it counts.

Here is a good article on the differences in the sat networks used by each type of device. Like I mentioned above... if you are only in the lower 48 either is fine. But for more remote places such as the far north there's a difference.

I have talked to people who had problems using SPOT devices. After reading this article it seems clear that the InReach which uses the Iridium network is superior to SPOT which uses Globalstar.

But the ResQlink and similar PBRs which use the COSPAS/SARSAT network are definitely superior. From the article: "This satellite constellation is the largest and most complete, and is essentially military."

We're talking about your life here not just "Hi honey I'm fine."

• Sitka Gear