cmbbulldog 28-Jan-16
Teeton 31-Jan-16
Teeton 15-Feb-16
LKH 16-Feb-16
Teeton 24-Feb-16
Brad 24-Feb-16
Firsty 25-Feb-16
06-Dec-15
I hope I didn't start this thread to early, but with Wyoming's applications opening up in less than a month and wanting to burn my elk points on Colorado u-76. But first I'll need to find a suitable, like minded partner with experience and the points need to draw unit 76. ( I know a dozen elk hunters, but none have enough points to draw u-76 ) Being that this will be most likely the only time I will get to hunt one of Colorado's quality units with the point creep the way it is... If I can't find a partner, I'll most likely be putting in for Wyoming's elk draw which dead line is I believe is Jan 31, 2016.. So this is why I started this thread so early.

I have been hunting elk DIY for over 20 years. This hunt will be a DIY backpack hunt. So who ever I partner up with we will need to get/be in shape for this physically demanding hunt. Being that this will be a once in a lifetime hunt I'd like it to be at least 14 +- a day or so, with a day or two of them 14 being slower some what easier rest days. I would also entertain the idea of renting llamas, as I have used llamas in the past.. Also the idea of having a packer lined up.. Having llamas and/or a packer lined up will save hunting days and help keep our legs fresh. At least thinking a packer should be lined up if we don't have llamas..

The hunt can be packing in and hunting from our setup base camp or a bivi style hunts. Our style of hunting may not be decided till a day or so of having boots on the ground. I also favor the last 2 weeks over the first 2..

So if any one maybe interested, have any info I can use or have questions post or shoot me a pm..

Ed

06-Dec-15
Got the deer points and was considering that hunt. Will likely be hunting elk in another unit.

Good luck, I would love to have that tag and hunt that country!

06-Dec-15
how many points to draw 76 now ?

06-Dec-15
11 for a NR. I'll be there in 2016

06-Dec-15
If my calculations are correct. In 2015 they gave out 49 nonres tags for u-76. Of that you needed at least 13 points for 100% chance of drawing one of them 49 tags. But 17 folks out of 25 got drawn with 12 points.

That means that most likely you will need 14 points for 100% chance with the creep, to draw in 2016 for a non res.

Ed

07-Dec-15
You're right Ed. You'll need 14 to draw for sure, but some will draw with 13 (NR).

08-Dec-15

Mike-TN's embedded Photo
Mike-TN's embedded Photo
76 is a great hunt with some potential for a real nice bull. I hunted it about 10 years ago and then this past year for moose. Everyone will have an opinion but I would SERIOUSLY plan a solo hunt in 76 long before I took a chance on someone I did not know very well. Finding a good "like minded" partner for a tough elk hunt is tough....not a high likelihood you will find it on a blind date. Mike TN

08-Dec-15
I currently have 13 points in Colorado and have no idea what I am going to do with them! I have hunted twice since then but mostly with a rifle. I have bowhunted Iowa Whitetails for 29 years and can shoot a bow well out to 50 yds. I am 41 years old and started putting in for points in Colorado when a buddy of mine hooked me up with a DIY hunt and got me hooked. I do not have any buddies/family members that put in for points every year so that's why I say I "don't know what I am going to do with them". Maybe this could turn into something....

08-Dec-15
Freddy. Do it! I hunted 76 last year and it was the best hunt of my life. The elk numbers are incredible, and maybe the only chances you'll have to hunt elk in Colorado that aren't pressured. 76 isn't known for the biggest bulls, but they're are plenty of mature bulls to chase. The biggest I saw was a 330 bull, I ended up shooting a 292 out of herd of over 100 elk. Unfortunately, I'm 52 and will probably never have enough points built up to do it again. But if I ever get a chance at a landowner voucher, I'm all over it.

Don't pass this up. You're in no-mans-land with your points, and if you don't act now, point creep may pass you up and you'll be shut out of 76. You'll never catch the units requiring more points (2,10,61,201), so you better act now.

PM me guys if you'd like some details on my hunt.

08-Dec-15
76 is a great hunt with some potential for a real nice bull. I hunted it about 10 years ago and then this past year for moose. Everyone will have an opinion but I would SERIOUSLY plan a solo hunt in 76 long before I took a chance on someone I did not know very well. Finding a good "like minded" partner for a tough elk hunt is tough....not a high likelihood you will find it on a blind date. Mike TN

08-Dec-15
I made a similar post for this exact hunt in 2013. A fellow Bowsiter and I agreed to camp next to each other and help each other if needed. I had a good hunt and made a new friend.

09-Dec-15

BULELK1's Link
From reading your entertaining threads over the years Teeton, I think you would be just fine on a solo hunt with 2 llamas as you have experience with them in the past and they are a simple but very reliable pack animal.

I used them for years on many solo hunts (see my link above) and never any issues.

Whatever you decide of course is what matters though.

Good luck, Robb

09-Dec-15
Thanks everyone for the above posts.

First,, I have no idea how u-76 is for deer. Really never read much on deer in u-76, anyone wants to chime in and answer that question please do. I hope great as I have as many mule deer points as I do elk. Don't think I'd burn them both elk and deer at the same time.

Last year after I did my Wyoming pronghorn hunt, which only last one day I was going to take a ride down to u-76 and check it out.. But instead drove over to Colorado unit's 2/201 to see how they looked for pronghorn again having points to draw them. Wish now I did go down to u-76 and put some boots on the ground. Dumb on my part..

Fastreddy16, I'm going to send you a p-m and explain to you my situation. Just give a day or so.

Mike I have been on the bowsite since it started and so far, have had good luck meeting and hunting with guys from here. I'm a open minded guy, but tell everyone how the hunts will play out and what to expect. Only one time a guy that hunted with me/us (that's just not elk hunts) we didn't jive. But that didn't change the out come of our trip. I learned from that so it does not happen again.

BULELK1, I've done a few solo hunts over the years. I just don't enjoy them as much as hunting with another guy. As JDECK stated in his post we don't necessarily have to hunt with each other day in and day out. But having some one to help or be helped is nice. Being that this will be most likely a one time thing, will not be able to scout and wanting to get the most out of this hunt that's why I think llamas would be nice.. But I don't have to have them and if not having a packer line up sure would help keep us fresh.

Ed

09-Dec-15

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Just putting a face on the op'er. That me on this pasted November sika deer hunt.

Ed

09-Dec-15

Fastfreddy16's embedded Photo
Fastfreddy16's embedded Photo
Teeton- I'll look forward to hearing from you!

I don't have many pics of myself as I tend to take more of my boys. Here is the whitetail I shot back in 2014 from one of our farms. Wish their were elk in Iowa!

10-Dec-15
PM sent

11-Dec-15
PM sent

12-Dec-15
I'll be back in there pretty soon myself.

12-Dec-15
PM sent Ed.

16-Dec-15
Ok thanks everyone for posting and pm'ing me.. I think I got back to you all with pm's.. But for some reason pm's I get from my business computer I then can't get them from my home computer.. ???

So for now so I get in touch with everyone pm me your phone number and best time to call.

Ed

16-Dec-15
PM Sent!

Thanks Ed.

FF

04-Jan-16
I have 15 points.. I would be interested in possibly this hunt. Did you filled the spot?

05-Jan-16
Hey Eddie, homebru

07-Jan-16
Hi TBHUNTER,, As of today I still have not (edited,, should of said "not" found a partner. not said "now" a partner,,, Me bad !!) found a partner for this hunt. You can P-M me your phone number and best time to call if you like.

Hi N8... AKA Homebru!!!

07-Jan-16
Teeton, If you have Llamas give me a shout before you go I can help.

08-Jan-16
PM sent.

08-Jan-16
My above post was edited. from saying "now" to saying "not".

At work right now. I'll get back to you that pm-ed me tonight, tomorrow or Sunday. Leaving for last deer hunt of season right after work. I maybe able to post if I can get service at the camp..

Ed

11-Jan-16
Only have 8 points or would be interested in team up on this unit. Good luck to you guys!

WP400

14-Jan-16
Teeton, we have a very similar view to what it takes to pull off a successful archery DIY elk hunt. I too am in the same situation of needing a partner soon. I have 11 points, so I may be out of the running due to creep. But interested in finding a partner too.

25-Jan-16
Hi Ed,, Did you find a partner yet?? Would love to do this hunt. But just can't swing the 2 weeks this year. After chat on the phone with you a few weeks ago you have been doing your home work on this unit. I'm hoping to do it next year. So if you don't find anyone let me know.. If you do, do this hunt. Would love to pick your brain for next year.

27-Jan-16
Travisk,, With the point creep this is the only quality unit I can do,, all the others will stay out of reach. For nonres this unit will take 14 points for 100% draw if all keep on track. Next year 15 points the following 16 and so on.

TBHunter,, Not as of yet. I've chatted with a few guys. Some can't do the 2 weeks, some it's the cost. Some have hunted elk many of times, but never a DIY backpack hunt. One wants to do a drop camp, another has only 13 points, which puts him in the not 100% draw pool.

None of the above are wrong, just not the hunt I'm looking to do.

I'm not going to do Wyoming if I don't find a partner by the end of this month. I'm going to keep looking for now. If I don't find one, I may just do 2 weeks pronghorn hunting this fall or a otc elk hunt. But I would really like to do this hunt this year.

TEHunter, If I do this hunt this year maybe I'll sell you my Unit 76 note book.. LOL :)

Ed

27-Jan-16
What are you looking to do in WY?

27-Jan-16
Ed, There's always next year. I'm only a year behind. ;-) homebru

28-Jan-16
cmbbulldog,, In my very first post I stated that I wanted to find a partner by the end of this month. (That's the last day you could put in for the Wyoming elk draw.) So if I didn't find a partner I was going to put in for Wyoming elk and put off hunting U-76 for a year.

I decided to not do that and keep trying to find a partner for U-76.

Homebru,, If I don't do U-76 this year I will be interested in doing it with you next year. Hunting U-76 this year is something I've been planning for about 2 years.

Ed

28-Jan-16
Got it. Didn't know if you were also looking for something in WY. Look luck finding a partner.

31-Jan-16
Test Man,, did you get my p-m ???

15-Feb-16
Thank everyone for the posts.. I have not found a partner as of yet and I needed a bump.. :)

ED

16-Feb-16
Well, it's only a few more days before WY is out and then you might get a few more hits. Good luck

24-Feb-16
TTT !!!!

24-Feb-16
Why burn that many points in 76?

25-Feb-16
That's how many it takes , where else you gonna use them?

• Sitka Gear