5575 08-Jan-16
BULL SLINGER 08-Jan-16
ELKMAN 10-Jan-16
Junior 10-Jan-16
Bowhntn 16-Jan-16
BULL SLINGER 16-Jan-16
Junior 16-Jan-16
05-Jan-16
I have 8 points and am asking for thoughts on bow hunting either of these units, or should I go elsewhere?

05-Jan-16
You'll get more relevant advice if you include if you're planning or willing to pay for a guide or private access or if this will be a DIY hunt, what your elk hunting experience is, your age and physical capabilities, and how much time you plan on being in WY for the hunt and scouting.

06-Jan-16
I've never hunted either area, but per the 2015 draw results, eight points looks like overkill for both.

06-Jan-16
wayyyyyy better units with 8 points

07-Jan-16
Sorry guys I am looking at going with an outfitter do to not having the time to scout. I am in great shape and not afraid to go the extra mile, sooooi with that in mind with 8 points I would like to goto the best unit possible with the best guide. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh ya I would like a chance at at least a 300 plus bull

07-Jan-16
If you go with an outfitter, a 300 inch bull shouldn't be too tough anywhere in Wyoming if you do your research into your outfitters. Especially with 8 points.

You need advice into specific outfitters, not specific units to apply for.

The next question would be how much you're willing to spend. There's a pretty big range in WY.

Do you want a wilderness back country hunt or a private land hunt?

07-Jan-16
I am looking in that 4-6000 range, I got a 350 two years ago in Arizona so a 320 or better would be nice, but I am realistic on how tough that can be,. As for what type of hunt I am up for anything .

08-Jan-16
im going to put a different spin on these answers as i know there are better areas you can have with your points, but there are plenty of the type of bulls youre looking for in 40 or 41. if you find a good outfitter, these are good spots. maybe not top tier per se, but trust me there are big bulls there.

08-Jan-16
At that price range and pts you may want to seriously look a guided hunt on private land. Wilderness may be ok because that eliminates non-guided nonresidents but you may still run into residents. Wyo is loaded with excellent private ranches that charge towards the upper end of your price range that would have 300+ potential.

If it were me and I was willing to spend that kind of cash ($6,000) plus burn pref pts you ought to be able to locate a top tier private ranch that is well managed for super nice bulls with little hunting pressure..especially during archery season. The type 9 units scattered through the Bighorns and other type 1 units scattered across Wyo get relatively high hunting pressure and guess where the elk often get pushed!

Take a look at outfitters websites and the photos they have of recent bow-killed bulls. I would also get a complete list of bowhunter clients from the past couple of years.....and call each one of them! You may find that some outfitters may have more experience (and better success rates) than others with bowhunters.

08-Jan-16
My buddy is 100% on 300"+ archery bulls, private ranch free range WY bulls. Usually 200-700 elk on the place and you'll be the only one there bowhunting that week. He only takes 4 bowhunters a season.

I can't wait till I have the points to go back! Here's a link to our hunt.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.pl?az=show_thread&om=14708&forum=DCForumID12&archive=yes#.Vo-6nPkrLq7

08-Jan-16
40 & 41 are sleeper areas that produce big bulls consistently year after year and offer a chance for a 350+ bull.

10-Jan-16
PMed

10-Jan-16
I hunted 40 last year..definitely wouldn't blow 8 points on it, for a type 9.

16-Jan-16
Wow sorry guys I just rechecked my points and I actually have 9! With that in mind does that change any of your thoughts on where to go and with whom?

Thanks again for your insight!

16-Jan-16

BULL SLINGER's embedded Photo
BULL SLINGER's embedded Photo
Just put in for 7 with the rest of the flock. Forget about 40 & 41 and leave those elk for the common folk.

16-Jan-16
Going with an outfitter...I wouldn't worry about points until you find the outfitter that fits. It could be a private land hunt that's easy to draw. Maybe even a general type 1 that you can hunt archery, learn the unit and come back unguided if not successful with a rifle. Going this route you may include family members and share your points. The outfitter puts a spin on things. After all a elk is a elk, don't get hung up on 9 point units. Great bulls come from general units too, that's a fact. Pick the outfitter first.

• Sitka Gear