wyobullshooter 19-Jan-16
HUNTALITTLE 19-Jan-16
wyobullshooter 19-Jan-16
IdyllwildArcher 19-Jan-16
Elkaddict 19-Jan-16
HUNTALITTLE 19-Jan-16
Elkaddict 19-Jan-16
07-Jan-16
I need some help figuring out the drawing system for an archery elk tag. I've read the rule book but I am still a little unsure of what exactly I want or need to apply for to get a tag. This would be my first time elk hunting so this is new to me. I have a couple of points and the area that I want to hunt looks like I should be able to draw, but I'm not sure if I just put in for a general elk tag and they will later set the archery season and then I have to buy an archery permit in order to hunt during archery season? I went through the motions of applying yesterday and when I get to choosing my first choice the units that I want to hunt do not show up in the list. does that mean I have to have a general permit to hunt those areas and the ones listed are draw only units? any help would be appreciated.

07-Jan-16

Mule Power's Link
Go to this link (Application Booklet) to see what license is required in each unit.

07-Jan-16
thanks

07-Jan-16
Scott, I think the general tag is listed at the very bottom of the list of unit/type screen.

07-Jan-16
Is it a general license you're applying for? If so, you don't apply for any one area, you apply for a GEN license, which is valid in any general area. MP's link will list which areas are general and which are limited quota, along with the license types for the limited quota areas.

No seasons or quotas will be set until late spring, after winter kill mortality rates have been studied. All dates in MP's link are tentative. HOWEVER, take a look at last year's regs. What you see is pretty much what you'll get. The only thing that normally changes are quotas, not season dates. Section 3 of the regs covers the special archery season. It lists the areas that have special archery seasons, season dates, and any limitations for that area.

Regardless of what area, whether general or limited quota, you will need an archery license unless you hold a Type 9 license (Archery Only). You will also need a conservation stamp, and some areas require an elk feedground special management permit as well(Sec 6 of the regs).

07-Jan-16
NR quotas are already set but not published. They require Commission approval, which they don't have for the NR Elk draw. uh-oh

07-Jan-16
"NR quotas are already set but not published. They require Commission approval, which they don't have for the NR Elk draw. uh-oh"

Nothing like putting in the drawing for a tag that might not even exist.

07-Jan-16
Uh-oh is right WB! The G&F has been violating their own rules by have the NR elk draw before the Commission sets and signs off on the final quotas and dates. They are being audited and it appears the jig is up and that starting in 2017 the elk application period and draw will be in conjunction with the deer and antelope draws like it should have been all along.

07-Jan-16
Since I cannot find an answer in the new regs book and I am tired of staying on hold with F&G....can anyone clarify this: If I send in for NR elk ($591) w/o the Pp fee and do not get drawn....can I still buy a PP for $50 in the July-Oct window??

Thanks, Joe

P.S. sorry Scott...I am hijacking your post a little ...

07-Jan-16
Wylie, yes

07-Jan-16
Since I cannot find an answer in the new regs book and I am tired of staying on hold with F&G....can anyone clarify this: If I send in for NR elk ($591) w/o the Pp fee and do not get drawn....can I still buy a PP for $50 in the July-Oct window?? Thanks, Joe

P.S. sorry Scott...I am hijacking your post a little ...

Yes, in your scenario you can pay the $50 PP fee during the 7/1-10/31 PP only application period. If you pay for it when you apply for the draw, they refund that $50 if you draw your first choice or add the point to your account for the following year.

07-Jan-16
Thanks for the answer....You are way faster than F&G...LOL

Joe

07-Jan-16
"NR quotas are already set but not published. They require Commission approval, which they don't have for the NR Elk draw. uh-oh"

I was wondering about this as well after looking at some of the odds and seeing many people applying for a tag that doesn't exist.

I thought to myself "These must be the same guys I see accidentally burning 12 deer points in Colorado on a doe tag!"

07-Jan-16
Regular draw Elk 53-1 is a good example. Tentative seasons show it as a valid hunt. 2014 had 25 tags but the preliminary tag total quota used to calculate the 2015 NR numbers was only 10 tags. Not enough for NR tags in both special and regular draws. Had nobody applied in the special side it would have dropped to the regular draw so it's a valid option just not one likely to have a tag. Since they can't predict the app numbers they have to leave the option open.

07-Jan-16
I hope they don't put all the draws together. I don't want a deer, elk, and antelope tag the same year. It's great to see how I do on the elk before I decide on the deer/antelpe.

07-Jan-16
Gunna happen eventually.

07-Jan-16
The nice thing about a change would be that most of the BP systems that you can't predict as well would be first and the PP systems that you can predict better would be last.

Ideally, the western states would get their results out within a couple weeks of the draw deadline and get together and space these draws out so we could plan better.

I've never understood how California, of all states, can have the results of all 4 species posted 2 weeks after the draw and the other states need 2-3 months. In the age of online apps and computer draws, it shouldn't take that long.

07-Jan-16
That'll suck. I like seeing elk draw results before the Montana app deadline. Plus I'm with LKH, I don't want an elk tag and deer tag in the same year.

I've had enough change. lol

08-Jan-16

Mule Power's Link
Scott.. I think this is something you are looking for. Below all of the general season dates are the bow seasons by unit. Scroll on down to about page 7-16.

19-Jan-16
I am also trying to decipher the Wyoming process for the first time. I am looking at a type 1 tag but possibly with the option to do the special archery season also? Limited entry units that have a type 9 license are still eligible for the special archery or are they excluded because of the type 9 tags?

Have archery hunted in the past and still do but may also like to try Wyoming for the first time with a rifle instead....trying to understand how this works?

Probably entering the draw on a low odds random draw this year and gaining more points in the future if not successful.

19-Jan-16
Depends on the area. There are some areas that you must draw a type 9 tag to archery hunt (type 1 tags can't go during the archery season). So I guess we would need to know which area you're looking to draw.

19-Jan-16
Huntalittle, a General tag will allow you to hunt archery and rifle during the general seasons. About 1/2 of WY's units have a general season.

Other than that, if you want to go rifle, you'll need a type 1 or 2 tag for a bull, but they're generally hard to come by and require several points unless you get very lucky in the random round.

19-Jan-16
HUNTALITTLE, I'll give a couple examples to explain what I think you're asking.

Area 38 offers a Type 9 license (Archery Only). The season is 1-30 Sep. There isn't a special archery season for that area, so the Type 9 holders have the entire month to themselves.

Area 11 offers a Type 9 license that is also valid for the entire month of Sep. However, that area also has a special archery season 15-30 Sep. That means the Type 9 holders have the area to themselves from the 1-14th. Starting the 15th, any Type 1 license holder can also archery hunt. Type 9 holders do not require a separate archery license. All other types do.

Most areas don't offer Type 9 licenses. Look at Section 6 in last year's elk hunting regulations. That's the section that covers special archery seasons. It lists hunt areas that have special archery seasons, along with season dates and any limitations that may exist.

19-Jan-16
OK, I need to take a look at last years regulations. Yes I am going for a long shot tag this year as I still have some Colorado plans and so not looking to draw the general tag yet. Hoping the stars might align for an extra special hunt!!! I need to learn more. I see people talk about some general units such as 21 being crowded....so here is my question crowded for Wyoming standards equals what to Colorado standards? With no experience in the state but quite a bit in Colorado I hear two things Wyoming is so much better and Wyoming general units are still crowded?

At this point I have interest in the overall bighorn area and also parts of the medicine bow area. Thanks for the help now and ongoing!

19-Jan-16
Crowded is crowded. Wyoming has less hunters, but those hunters are confined to smaller areas. Colorado has more hunters, but more areas for them to disperse. I can't speak for the bighorns, but both the Sierra Madres and Snowies get pounded. Still some good hunting to be had, but it's tough! The one plus is we don't have to share the woods with muzzleloaders.

19-Jan-16
The WY fish and game publishes the amount of hunters in each unit. You can, with some effort, divide the public land in each unit by the hunters to compare.

What you'll find is that south and eastern WY general units get pressured far more than NW WY due to concerns over wolves and grizz. It's a trade off.

There are many units in WY that get as much pressure as your average CO OTC unit, but there's many that receive less.

19-Jan-16
If you intend to hunt the Bighorn general unit, you best have a plan in order, and a solid one at that.

19-Jan-16
Elkaddict- Sorry I meant to say the overall bighorn area....no plans to hunt any general areas at this point....in the future maybe after some scouting time. Thanks for the input.

19-Jan-16
If you intend to hunt the Bighorn general unit, you best have a plan in order, and a solid one at that.

• Sitka Gear