ElkNut1 18-Jan-16
Inshart 18-Jan-16
Jeff 19-Jan-16
ElkNut1 19-Jan-16
trophyhilll 31-Jan-16
WillPower 03-Feb-16
11-Jan-16
Simply put, Do You Bugle Enough?

I see most hunters do not! They have this idea in their heads because of Internet chatter that they should bugle very little these days & not to bugle at all if the bulls aren't talking themselves! This is the time to bugle more on the those days! It's the quickest way to find elk especially in newer areas.

When elk are rutting they are bugling on their own so less bugling is required on the hunters part for location!

Do you bugle enough?

ElkNut1

11-Jan-16
Let me guess... You have some bugles to sell?

11-Jan-16
Yes. Lol

11-Jan-16
As usual you're a bit off track cnelk! I always have bugles to sell but this thread isn't about that, it's do you bugle enough? Doesn't matter which bugle one uses.

Most hunters do not! They would do themselves much better if they did! Some will say they hunt pressured areas, heck we all do! (grin) When this is the case choose your times & places wisely to locate elk, works every year! Thanks!

ElkNut1

11-Jan-16
I try not to attract hunters, they can really screw up a potential encounter.

Stealth is my friend when it comes to elk.

I bugle when the time is right.

Best Wishes, Jeff

11-Jan-16
cnelk is funny though right? That is funny!... (Cause it's true) LOL! ;-)

11-Jan-16
Yep, that's me. Off track as usual (grin!)

11-Jan-16
I probably bugle too much, but it has worked well for me. I have been told I have a very good bugle which helps. Funny ego puffing story: Last season, I called in 4 hunters in about 2 hours one morning. It was very annoying, but they swore up and down it wasn't me, they "definitely heard a real bull". I had to bugle to show them. They were not happy. My next move was to the truck to find a new spot.

11-Jan-16
+ 1000 for Cnelk. BIG GRIN!!!!

11-Jan-16
OK, it was funny, at first I thought brad needed one! (grin) But not at all what was intended! Selling a bugle didn't enter my mind when I started the thread. It's about guys not calling enough.

Andy, you must be a very good caller, nice! We run into that once in a while but do our best to stay away from other hunters. Like you we will either go deeper or find a new area. Either way it's not a big deal.

One thing that helps us avoid hunters is not using trails or roads of any kind as entrance points. This really cuts down on hunter activity when we enter the woods where few others would even consider it!

ElkNut1

11-Jan-16
Somebody please put some numbers to this. What is too much or not enough?

Are you calling every two hours, every 15 minutes?

Are you calling every tenth of a mile as you hike, or every half mile?

11-Jan-16
I listened to a podcast between Corey Jacobsen (elk101 & formerly Extreme Elk Magazine) and Randy Newberg. Corey pretty much stated that he's only after active elk and like a bass angler, he "casts" (calls) like crazy. Some drainages hear him bugle more than all the elk that will bugle there in total that fall! :)

>>>>-------->

11-Jan-16
Sorry, I TBM'd apparently somehow.....

>>>>------ :( ------>

11-Jan-16
Vids I think ki-ki would have the answer to this one. He uses geometric equations like this to hunt. From the " How many do this every morning!" thread.

"I walk in ever widening concentric circles around camp at 100yard intervals. Depending on how many elk I've killed at the 5 mile mark, I'll start working my way back to camp, again, in concentric circles at 100 yard intervals. There are usually elk that have worked their way back into my 5 mile circle, which is actually 10 miles in diameter, 87 miles in circumference, or 62.6 miles in area (3.14 sq. x 7 sq. plus dangled angle and squared hair = 66.2 miles, just in case you want to check the math) Elk now inside the circle begin to panic as the realize they are now in a deadly trap. They become easy prey as the circle tightens. I've killed most of my big Bulls right around the 3/4 mile mark on the return circle part of my morning.

For this method to be effective and legal, you must hunt deep within your unit, so as not to cross the unit boundaries and get yourself in deep dudu."

11-Jan-16
Circles? Never circles! I have to do straight-ish lines myself. The

11-Jan-16
60 times a minute.

11-Jan-16
LINK, that's the exact methodology I tried once. Only problem was, by the time I heard a bugle, my head hurt so bad I said heck with it, headed back to camp and had a cold one to ease the pain! The beauty with circles is, the elk don't know whether you're coming or going. Makes it much more effective than walking straight lines.

Andy, 60 times a minute sounds about right. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than constantly announcing my presence. Makes it easier for all my fellow hunters to come and join my adventure!

11-Jan-16
You guys must have a 3 in 1 bugle. The most I can get in one minute is 20 and that's without chuckles.

On born and raised outdoors I once saw a 15 second bugle while spinning in a circle. Sure seemed like a more effective locator.

11-Jan-16
you all just crack me up.Is this the "whos the best elk hunter forum"???Theres more then one way to skin a cat so lets hear his way.It may surprise a few of you that some people like to hear others advise on their hunting methods.May not fit mine,but I'd still listen.May even come in handy one day when my methods aren't working Just get tired of disrespectful know it alls.So lets hear it elknut,some of us don't act like we know it all

11-Jan-16
Ditto Mixed Bag.

Elknut may teach me something and I'm willing to listen. Wading through all the crap many of you are spewing onto this thread exemplifies why many of the "old timers" have left the Bowsite or rarely post.

As another mentioned, I tend to stay quiet and use stealth. Some of it is that I am not confident in calling and some if it is that I (perhaps mistakenly) feel that I'm better off not attracting attention to myself or my location.

But I confess to having a lot of days in the elk woods when I don't hear a thing. Perhaps bugling on my part would help these situations.

Carl

11-Jan-16
I agree with smarba. Even turkey hunting I tend not to do locator calls. For some reason I feel like I'm better off if nothing knows I'm in the area. But I'd probably hear more if I bugled/locator called more.

Last year I bugled a few times in one area, but it seemed like the Bulls kept staying away from it. And of course they were acrossed a fence line out of the unit when they did bugle back! Haha I'm going to check out your products elknut. I'm up for any advice I can get.

11-Jan-16
I'm all ears elknut. Rookie here so any help appreciated. Do you bugle every 1/4 mile or a bunch from one spot? Are you blind calling to locate and work your way in or bugling at night to see what's around. What works best. And when does one shut up?

11-Jan-16
I basically disagree with Paul on this. The question implies that the near universal answer to getting elk is call more. Calling is not necessarily the best way to get elk, and it certainly not the only way. The question does not recognize any difference between areas or even time of the season. The claim that elk are bugling during the rut, at least during the day time, is also not universally true. Bugling is not always better than cow calling. One size does not fit all.

11-Jan-16
I rarely bugle. I prefer to let the elk do the talking which allows me to be in stealth mode. Ideally i don't want the elk to know I'm there. If I am not hearing bulges I simply keep moving until I do.

Bugling is fun but when I stopped talking to elk and started hunting them (when I hear a bugle I close the distance hard and fast) I started being successful.

So yes I do bugle enough...

11-Jan-16
I bugle quite a bit, probably drive some people crazy (including my hunting partners at times). It feels wrong to give my location away and disturb the silence with calling, but I've had too many instances of calling (either bugle or cow call) with no response only to get a heated response (or even multiple bulls responding) 30 yds further down the path, so I keep doing it.

When trying to locate, I'll probably bugle once every 10 or 15 min. It also tends to give me an idea if there are other hunters in the area as they will often respond, so I suppose it accomplishes two things at once.

Sometimes, in high pressure areas, I'll do a "quiet" bugle first where I cover the end of the grunt tube. It tends to get better responses from pressured elk since these elk tend to do the same thing. They'll often not stop bugling in these types of areas, just maybe bugle not as loud, and maybe can only be heard a couple of hundred yds or so. I think they do this when calling to their cows too since no need to broadcast to the world.

Anyway, I'm interested in how often you bugle Elknut. I have a feeling you are on the higher end of bugles per hour like myself, but I'll let you clarify.

11-Jan-16
Also, to sfiremedic's point, I'm generally not bugling if bulls are already bugling. I'm using as a tool to locate bulls when none are vocal at that time.

11-Jan-16
Honest answer. I am looking for bugling bulls. If I had to specify exactly what elk I hunt, that is it. When I am trying to locate bulls, I bugle probably once every 10-15 minutes, moving after every unanswered bugle until I find a "lively" one.

11-Jan-16
One thing I forgot to mention, this technique has worked pretty well in the past, but in the future I am probably going to be doing a lot more listening and a lot less bugling. I hunt a very highly pressured area and I am beginning to think the bulls are bugling as much to keep track of me as I am of them. Last year I got a pretty high number of bugling while moving away bulls. If I had been silent I think I would have had a better chance.

11-Jan-16
Thanks for the comments guys! There's certainly no one way to hunt elk in every situation. Some hunters enjoy sitting treestands, ground blinds or tons of glassing & I too make room for such times. Lots of ways to skin an elk! But this is about FINDING Elk through Bugling! (grin)

If a hunter chooses not to call for his reasons that's fine, I'm just sharing info for those who want to know how to quickly find elk & hunt them through calling. It also helps you to know if elk are in the area you plan to hunt that day. Bugle an hour or so before light & you'll know in many cases if elk are there, nothing written in stone but as long as the distance is great you will not bother a thing! Don not keep bugling once a response is had.

I brought up this thread because there are so many that do not call much & when the situation & areas are right it's something good to incorporate in Running & Gunning hunts as well as trying to find elk in the area they are at present. Many let golden opportunities slip away yearly because they feel if bulls aren't bugling then neither should they! The Internet is full of guys that will say Do Not Bugle! Why, in many cases it's because they are not good at it & lack the confidence to bugle because they fear they will run elk off! -- If a golfer cannot hit a driver straight should he leave it in his bag for life or should he work his problem out on the range???

Sure if you go at it haphazardly this can happen. Doing it right & at the right time & place is as important as picking a great stand location being aware of an animals approach & wind direction so you are not winded!

Calling from the right areas according to the time of day can be equally important! If you are calling near bedding areas at daylight there's a good chance the elk are not there yet! -- If calling in feeding/watering areas after 9a.m. there's a good chance elk have already left! If calling to elk while in transition, between feeding & bedding & they continue to move off don't mistake this from them running from you, it's more along the lines that they are on their way to their destination so are on the move, yet they can take the time to bugle back to you in the process.

Ones who feel calling to elk isn't effective generally is a result of not being able to call many elk themselves or have had bad experiences with bugling, guess what, we all started there & worked out the quirks, we stay with what works & avoid the things that don't!

My son & I along with the 3 others in the crew have brought in well over a thousand bulls to bowrange through the avenue of calling! We've called in as many cows as well. We do all this DIY on OTC Public Lands & for the last 22 years in wolf country & have taken a staggering # of elk. We've also called in plenty of elk in non wolf country.

Thing is when used right & in the right settings bugling can be a powerful tool for you as well. We use both Location Bugles & Advertising Bugles. What's the difference between the two? Advertising has an increased intensity to create excitement into ones tones over the high pleasing note you would use in a location bugle. We generally reserve the Advertising bugles for large open areas where sound can travel greater distances if the Location bugle isn't getting responded too.

How often we call depends on the country. Too, are the bulls bugling on their own? Are they fairly quiet? When bulls are rutting & bugling on their own there is little reason for us to bugle our way to them, we'd rather go in unannounced & take them by slipping in, if calling is needed then we will determine that as we close the distance.

We will call much more when the elk are bugling little or not at all. At these times we are known to bugle 25-50 times a day, why, because we want to find them, all it takes is one response & it's game on. I would rather do this that just walk around aimlessly & accidentally bumping elk out of our way, in most cases elk will say something before this happens.

We do our best to use the lay of the land to choose our spots to call from so we have a good chance of hearing a bugle back. We also choose areas to hunt where there is little to no access through gated roads or trail systems, these are people magnets! Most these areas are not that far from roads but most hunters shy away from them due to rugged terrain.

The more open the country the more we will bugle loudly & with authority from spots where we do not stand out, it's no place for small bull squeals here. You want to be like a real bull here. No bull goes out to locate or advertise himself thinking I need to sound small here so I don't run other elk off! (grin) They don't do it & neither should we. In this open area we could bugle up to a dozen times if we really feel elk are within earshot! In thicker country where sound travels we will bugle aprox every few hundred yards, this is especially so in unfamiliar country. At these times we are only trying to "find them" not call them in. When in our old haunts we have spots where we head to, to call from because we have a good idea where these elk hangout if they are there for that time of the day!

Most of bugling ceases around 11 a.m.-- On cloudy/rutting days it could be longer. There are times we do bugle midday but it all depends on what type of action we were in earlier that morning & what the winds are doing. We will generally pick up the bugling again around 5:30 p.m. till dark.

I realize this isn't for everyone but for those who want to find elk quicker so they can hunt them you may want to consider to polish up your bugling! (grin) It's worked very well for us & this is why I recommend it to others! Good bugling is part of hunting smart!

ElkNut1

11-Jan-16
Thanks for the helpful responses, guys... ;)

I appreciate your threads Paul, keep 'em coming!

11-Jan-16
Great info Thanks

11-Jan-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Vids, thanks!

Here's a photo of an area as I mentioned that I would start at. It's an old skid road where I'm at here taking the photo. It's about 45 min to get up to that rock saddle. I would get up on it & bugle & hope to get a response to get a direction, if nothing continue walking bugling both sides. Good chance sooner or later it will payoff! Day of Sept. won't matter much, I've had elk bugle back all times of Sept there. I do like mid month & later best though.

ElkNut1

11-Jan-16

Here's a 2nd photo where we are in dense timber where sound isn't traveling far, it's good to call every 200-300yards trying to locate elk before they hear or see us. There's a great spot we're looking at that's right on an elk trail, no doubt a bull was using this spot, my son took him aprox 100 yards or so just above it! I called him in to him at 22yds or so.

ElkNut1

11-Jan-16
Fear of making a mistake is the biggest reason I don't call more, let alone bugle. I'm a novice for sure. I've studied it and practice calling often. When I do call its normally a location bugle because I feel better about making that sound. But minimal experience in hearing live elk vocals affects my confidence so I feel a need to hear them first. I hope to change that because I'm moving from Kentucky to Colorado in a less than a month. Hope to change all of the above this fall!

11-Jan-16
Ambush-Keep your bugle and some mouth calls in your car. Practice will help with your confidence. Sure you'll get some strange looks but it's all part of the fun. Also, just the way I do things, I start my bugle off with a little bit of a growl. It is quiet but helps me "tune in" before I hit the high note hard. It does wonders for making a very predictable bugle.

12-Jan-16
One day at first light I found myself on the opposite side of a wide drainage of a bugling bull. Was far enough away that I could hear it but couldn't be sure if it was on NF or wilderness, so I was not going after it.

I decided to just answer it each time he bugled. So for next 50 minutes he bugled every 5-8 minutes. When he did I answered. In that time I bugled 8-10 times and never moved an inch. I was not trying to pull the distant bull in I just wanted other bulls to know this was my side of the drainage.

After almost an hour I was thinking my plan was not working and moved the last 150 yards up to top of the ridge when from just over the top I heard 3 chuckles. Another bull was coming. As I started sneaking towards the chuckles, the distant bull sounded off. I answered just as I had been doing for the last hour. This time, the approaching bull bugled. Two minutes later he was raking a tree at 26 yards.

This story would be better if I could tell you I shot the bull, but never got a clear shot. By 8 am I had bugled around a dozen times and had only covered few hundred yards since the Sun had come up. I don't know if that ranks as too much, but on this particular day, it worked.

12-Jan-16
I agree with Andy, practice, practice, practice! This is the only way to sharpen your calling skills & bolster your confidence that you know you sound believable! You may want to bugle several times into a tape recorder now & then listen to yourself periodically to see your advancement every week or so. You will get better & better as you gain control of your mouth reed! -- Make sure you are using a single reed with fairly light tension like the Mellow Yellow, it will offer quicker results over stiffer latex reeds!

Jethro, sounds pretty good to me! (grin) Looks like you did everything right! Having a bull at 26 yards was nicely done, unfortunately the shot didn't happen but that's elk hunting! (grin)

-- If interested why those two other bulls came your way & not to the 1st bull (herd bull) it was because you were advertising yourself & they had no idea who you were by your sound, they knew who the herd bull was! Your bugling can bring bulls to you to see where you may fit in the pecking order! When that bull came in to the point he started raking he was showing you who he was, he wanted you to do the same, he didn't necessarily want to fight he wanted to size you up or check out the competition so to speak for when cows start to come into estrus. He could have stopped & raked that same tree if you would have cow called him instead of bugled him, why, to show off to her & encourage you to come his way!

Your bugling at that time is the very reason we use the Advertising Sequence as a good method to pull bulls to us especially when in a lazy mood, it takes time as they make their way to you. Stay patient & be willing to hold that same spot for up to an hour when you know bulls are in the area! You can add raking & mix up the length & tone of your bugling, no need to have every bugle be predictable sounding, nice work sir! You'll be trying that one again! (grin)

I will add that in many cases if you have no shot as the bull is close & raking that that's a good time to slowly re-position to get a window to shoot through! It has worked for me many times!

ElkNut1

12-Jan-16
Funny thing.... This reminds me of the time I heard some dumb Noob bugling his head off.... And POORLY. Sounded like the idiot had picked up a call on the ride up from Denver and was now devoting all of his time in camp to learning how to get a squeal out of it.

So I finally decided to pay their camp a visit and suggest that maybe he should knock it off and practice in the off-season.. Headed down the hill and finally spotted him.... Along with the rest of the herd.

Was a spike, not even old enough to get kicked out by the herd bull (or his dam, for that matter).

Wont say I could have closed the deal, but with a slower approach and some time with the binocs, I could at least have gotten a lot closer...

CO public land in a hard-hunted unit.

Just sayin'.....

12-Jan-16
Thanks for the info Paul. What I've been wondering since last season: after my hour long bugling session, the first sounds that I heard alerting me that a bull was close by were 3 or 4 chuckles. No bugle, no other sound. Just chuckles. I admit I have no idea what he was communicating, but at the time I didn't care.

Was a little down about not getting the shot. It worked out though. The very next day got my first. Hunting that day with my buddy, he called him in and I shot him at about 15 yards as we knelt together behind a pine.

12-Jan-16
Funny thing about the bull jethro shot was I probably bugled to that bull 30 times in 30 minutes. Most of it a screaming match back and forth sometimes from 50 yards and sometimes much closer since it was thick pines. I would only consider myself an average at best elk caller. I don't even use a diaphram call just a Berry Thunder bugle. Although on this given day I was good enough.

On this particular trip bugling was the key. Cow calls were almost useless but we did see guys driving around cow calling from their trucks. One guy who was using this method said he killed 3 bulls the previous year doing the same thing from the same roads. All 5x5s so maybe it works on some smaller bulls some of the times.

12-Jan-16
"Although on this given day I was good enough."

Dam straight you were. I was happy to reward you by allowing you to carry out half the meat.

The little calf that came into me is the only action/response to cow calls that I remember on this trip. Lots of action with bugles

12-Jan-16
My last guide was dubbed "Ricola" due to his nearly constant bugling. The other guides complained, but we located and called in more bulls than any other guide I have hunted with.

12-Jan-16
DPowers, that's pretty funny! LOL! That's a great tag for sure!

Good stuff guys, use what's working at the time. Looks like the results were proof enough!

Jethro, chuckling symbolizes an invite or come on over here! The opposite is harsh hair raising grunts that can be used for intimidation or warning! Nice work again on your guys success!

As a note to many reading these accounts & when to bugle. Note in most cases there are not hunters surrounding us. Just like the 1st photo I shared, look where I'm heading over the rock saddle. There are no trails or other roads over that direction so I'm very confident there are no other hunters around. Most areas we do a lot of bugling or a Contact/Estrus Buzz on high volume for location there are few to no hunters around or in the area some may camp, we choose our spots carefully. I'm sure the same applies to those that are sharing their experiences here as well. Thanks guys!

ElkNut1

12-Jan-16

Bloodtrail, bugling for locating elk can differ from area to area. The more open the country the farther your bugle will carry. This means you do not have to over bugle. In this open or semi open country bugling 3-4 times is generally enough, we then move on if no response 1/2 mile or so & bugle several times if needed again. This is especially so in unfamiliar country. If I know the country then I have a good idea where the elk like to hangout so I call from certain spots to see if anything is home.

In thicker treed or brushy country (like photo above) I may call every few hundred yards & cast my bugle in the direction it may carry the farthest, generally no more than twice each time. During these bugling spots I rarely add growls chuckles or grunts, I don't concern myself with these as the elk are usually to far off to hear them anyway! (grin) I like a high controlled piercing note with one or two notes, it generally does the trick in receiving responses.

As far as running & gunning goes we are not setting up! We are calling at the times mentioned & await a response for a couple minutes & continue to move on trolling for elk if nothing responds. We only setup if we come across very fresh sign or hear a single bugle but he will not respond again. This is where we would incorporate an Advertising Sequence or method , we move in & do our best to get within 175 yards or a hair closer, no closer than that is needed! Your setup should be one where incoming elk must be in search mode & have to come to bowrange before he can see the source of the calling, this can avoid a hangup! Remember, this is for bulls that you feel are around or you've heard a single bugle! Staying up to an hour is important here during your calling sequence, you do not need any cow sounds in this method!

Picking your spots to bugle means we are calling from areas that will benefit us the most as we try & cover as much real estate as possible with our bugling in our search. It's common for us to take a break around noon to 2:30 or so in elevated areas so we can sit quiet & listen to see if elk will talk on their own giving us a direction. We generally will bugle here 6-8 times before take a break & relax, you never know when a bull will come slipping in silent. Some days it works some days the elk stay quiet. Sitting water or trails leading to water in those times can also be good. We will generally pick up our bugling again around 5:30 p.m. till dark. It's common to travel 6-10 miles a day in doing so, so be in shape! (grin)

If we get into a very good looking area where sounds travel a great distance we may bugle a dozen times from there as we stay fairly hidden so we are not spotted as we bugle. If you're not calling you're not trying! I will also mention that if no response is received in these vast areas we continue walking & calling & do not go into these bowls or drainage's, no need to, we are looking for vocal elk!

Here I am bugling into this basin with with other mountains surrounding it, I will call at least a 1/2 dozen times from there if needed. Sometimes bulls will cut you off before your 1st bugle is done, other times it's your last bugle before a response is heard. You just never know!

ElkNut1

12-Jan-16
Bloodtrail

On this trip it was dependent on how the elk were talking. Sometimes we wouldn't bugle for hours on end or only in strategic viewing locations. On the days the elk were bugling we were covering ground and would bugle frequently as well. We figured out after day 2 cow cows weren't working even though bulls were in the area.

13-Jan-16
Paul, realistically how many time do you locate with a bugle and stalk in only to realize it's another hunter? do you have to see the other Hunter before backing off? We know all elk don't sound like real elk. Always enjoy your threads..... You have a way of keeping them on track and not getting sidetracked also.

Thanks!!!!

13-Jan-16
TxTrapper, thanks! Staying on track can be tough at times but it's all good, lots of hunters means lots of different thoughts can go through their heads, I don't mind questions at all! (grin)

Realistically, I cannot think of the last time I was fooled by a hunter representing an elk, it's been so many years ago? When you've heard so many of both over the years there are tell tale signs that set them apart. -- True elk do not all sound alike, different ages have a different sound as well as their mood for the phase of the rut at that time.

Hunters have certain traits they fall into, one is calling with the same tone & cadence everytime! Too, many hunters follow their bugles with chuckles or grunts, most are not very good & are easy to tell apart from a real bull. Many hunters will follow a bugle they hear with cow calling, that's another dead giveaway. We do our best to separate ourselves from other hunters so this helps quite a bit knowing there are most likely none around us! The toughest bugles to decipher are immature bugles, sometimes we need to hear them two or three times but it's rare. All in all we can generally tell a real bull from a hunter & whether it's most likely a herd bull or satellite we are hearing.

The message being sent by the real bull is most important to us in what's happening or what's on their mind, this tells us quickly what kind of bull we are dealing with & how we need to tailor our calling to fit that encounter.

ElkNut1

13-Jan-16
Well I kno this is directed at me for ranting about the hunters that drive along on their quad, stopping and bugling every 100yds [tip; shut the thing off!]

Or the guys sitting in one spot bugling every 30 seconds.

I'm not saying don't bugle....the scenarios you mention Paul are appropriate. I do think the elk can nail you as a hunter in the above cases.

13-Jan-16
Thanks for posting Paul. Good stuff.

13-Jan-16
Bruce, I'm not familiar with a thread that I can recall where this one has any connection? No sir, it was not started from anything you had commented about.

I guess the difference in thought with your concerns is that those road hunters have little effect on where I'm going to hunt for the day. I have no issues with guys that want to drive & call from their vehicles, doesn't bother me at all. It actually helps me to know where I'm not going to start my hunt! (grin) It doesn't matter if elk are in their areas or not, I just move on to places that are void of road hunters.

I have several areas that I hunt that are within a mile from a dirt road where bugling from the road cannot be heard, they are very good spots that some of those elk get pushed into by the road hunters, these elk are still very callable.

I will also mention that many of the elk we contact are well before daylight from roads. We are not calling these elk to us we are just locating them & then going to them, it seems to work very well for us, we don't do it everyday but when we do it works great! I don't own an ATV but I would with no issues.

ElkNut1

13-Jan-16
I am much more of a minimalist caller than Paul and a lot of other archery elk hunters, but think this has been a very good thread, and it has brought out a lot of good ideas. I never saw any ulterior motives by Paul in anything here. When I have personally talked with him, or e-mailed, I always received his best insight on things. He is not insulting in his feedback. My hunting experience, and the areas I have hunted don't always 100% fit with what he is saying, but I will bet we can all glean from his insights. Paul has definitely improved my calling ability over the years.

13-Jan-16
Paul Ok, Well i'm more of a minimalist caller too. I've heard too many guys screaming non stop on a bugle and then the elk just shut down.

I've had guys working the same bull i was on cranking on a cow call non stop...i mean constant. In both of those scenarios, do they really think this sounds natural?

I think its important that if you are going to call...you have to have a plan.

13-Jan-16
"I think its important that if you are going to call...you have to have a plan."

Bingo! As swede pointed out in his previous post, there isn't a "one size fits all" when it concerns hunting elk, let alone calling. In answer to the OP's original question "Do you bugle enough?", the answer is yes. HOWEVER, my answer is relative to the area I hunt.

In Elknut's first photo, he says he's confident that once he gets to the top of that ridge there won't be any other hunters. Great. Heck, if I was in a place like that I'd bugle more too! Absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Fact is, where I hunt is the exact opposite. First off, it's thick as heck. When you see elk, they're close. And then there's the roads/trails. They're literally everywhere. It's hard to find any one place that's more than a half-mile from one. The further you get from one, the closer you get to the other. Not only do hunters constantly use those roads, there are camps scattered throughout the area as well. No such thing as a trailhead. As others have noted, these elk have been conditioned through the years by multitudes of "hunters" riding up and down roads on their atv's, or in their trucks, bugling their fool head's off...engine running, truck stops, bugle...nothing, door slams, truck drives off. Add in the guys tromping through the woods, bugling every 3 steps,...well, you get the picture. These elk aren't stupid. Bugle too much, unless you're right on top of them, and they shut up. Period. That's not internet chatter, that's fact. Don't get me wrong. I give out location bugles now and then from certain strategic locations, but I use more low volume squeals and mews BY FAR.

Now there's a big difference between trying to locate a bull and what I do once he's located. Once I get inside a bull's comfort zone, all bets are off. I'll do whatever it takes to get him pissed and commit to coming in. Doesn't matter if it's challenge bugles, squeals, tree raking, foot stomping, or anything else I need to do. At that point, I'll take my chances with attracting other hunters.

As Beendare posted, you have to have a plan. A wise hunter uses the plan that works best for the area he's hunting. If using lots of location bugles works best for someone in the areas he hunts, then that's certainly what he should use. OTOH, there are those that hunt areas where that tactic is the absolute worst thing you could do. Has nothing to do with not being proficient at calling, or being afraid to do so. It has everything to do with having that "plan" for the areas you hunt and executing that plan.

13-Jan-16
Wyobullshooter is right on the money with his post. It sounds like we hunt the same area, even though we are States apart. I laugh at what was just written because; when I was the District road closure manager, I had an objective to close roads so they would be about one mile apart. I never came close, and I see no improvement in the 13 years I have been retired. If you hunt an area like Wyobullshooter and I do, pay close attention to what he just posted. It is interesting that he and I have come to the exact same conclusion, and all we have to go on is elk hunting experience in comparable areas.

14-Jan-16
Thank you for your comments! Yes, every state has its areas where there are many hunters & there are areas where there is less pressure, we have the choice as hunters to research out areas that are conducive to our hunting styles. I choose the less populated areas for the most part for Running & Gunning style of elk hunting but also have several areas I like hunting that are close to camps & dirt roads, (inside a mile) these small honey-holes will receive less calling from me as I focus more on the trails leading from feeding to bedding grounds.

It doesn't mean I do not call in these areas because I do I'm just a bit more selective at my times & places!

I would certainly entertain the idea of researching out less pressured areas when using a Running & Gunning style of elk hunting.

ElkNut1

14-Jan-16
Look at the blue grunt tube and the blue shirt in the above picture. One would thing that the self proclaimed leading expert in the elk hunting field would know that elk and deer don't see things like the human eye does. And one of the colors they do pick up on is BLUE!

14-Jan-16
"but also have several areas I like hunting that are close to camps & dirt roads, (inside a mile) these small honey-holes will receive less calling from me"

Which is exactly what some of us are pointing out. Again, all part of knowing the areas we hunt and having a plan.

14-Jan-16
By the time any bull sees the color of that tube or shirt he'll be dead.

14-Jan-16
Good thread elknut. I gotta say some of the guys responding seem likea complete idiots though. That said, I am a big fan of bugling. I think a lot of hunters would have a more exciting hunt if they learned how to bugle. I bugle to locate and to call bulls in, has worked great and sure makes my hunts fun and successful.

14-Jan-16
Bullwinkle - really - this thread talks about bugling and you pick and throw stones because of a blue shirt.

Elknut, good thread with some very informative contributions.

Like myself, and I'm sure many on here are doing is putting ones self in situations that relate to what is being said pro & con about the frequency of where and when it's appropriate to bugle.

Where we hunt in WY is pretty much as wyobullshooter described - so his input is also of interest to me - lots of trails - the difference is we don't see very many other hunters - thank goodness.

Most of what I've done is cow call - like what has been said - I'm a bit nervous (lack of confidence) about bugling.

This year I'll "break the glass" and throw out some bugles.

Funny, all last summer into the early fall I practiced with the bugle - up until my wife had enough - then I never even carried it with me in the woods.

14-Jan-16
All I know Im replacing my ol' POS grunt tube with a new one [with updated technology] from Wapiti River Outdoors.

Travis from WRO placed 3rd in the Worlds a few weeks ago and I cant wait to get his bugle and use it!

14-Jan-16
Bullwinkle, many hunters are concerned with their camo patterns, color of packs, the color blue, red, orange, dark colors that look like a blob, etc.

I used the blue bugle in the exposed manner to prove a point just as I showed that ones choice of camo or pack does not matter to an elk! I used that blue one an example to show it was not going to make any difference in ones elk hunt because of blue or any other color. No elk should even see it, if they do we are already in trouble regardless of the bugle color. We took 6-7 bulls that year, I used that exact bugle the entire month! As WapitiBob mentions, it's too late once the bull is that close! It's movement that can ruin an encounter not the colors on your person!

Yes elk can see the color blue as well as white & black, none of the three are obtrusive to elk, it does not run them off it just means they can see the color, there is no alarm in any of the three! 10 years ago this was brought up & I shared a dozen field photos with elk on the ground where we were wearing blue jeans to blue plaid long sleeve shirts. (old days) Hunters need to focus more on their hunting skills than their apparel! (grin)

Wyobull, your thoughts had already been covered up above. We hunters including myself need to use common sense during our hunts. This means we know when & where we can call without lowering our odds of success! Some of those spots to increase our odds are right there on dirt roads, you can bugle in specific areas & receive a response, this gives us a starting point. Never underestimate the power of a bugle while many hunters are still sleeping away! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

14-Jan-16
The debate on the frequency of calling could go on till the cows come home. Regardless of which side of the fence you stand, one thing is certain. If you choose to bugle less, make sure it's because that's the prudent thing to do, NOT because you lack the confidence or proficiency to do so. Regardless of HOW you find them, once you get in tight, you better be able to make them think you're one of them.

15-Jan-16
Elknut: Quit trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes. You was using the BLUE tube for the same reason that you also sell RED ones and BLACK ones. It was the color of plastic ball bat that your supplier had at the time. WalMart has a lovely ORANGE one you should try. Sounds better as well!

15-Jan-16
Bullwinkle, all the bugles we sold with the red & blue barrels came with a complete camo sleeve, in the photo above notice I cut the camo sleeve back to expose the blue barrel. It was done for the reasons I mentioned above. We now have a brand new injection mold bugle that came out last Sept, no more red & blue, better check it out! (grin) Thanks!

Inshart, practice makes perfect, you'll do just fine! As a sidenote, wives seem to never get used to being wowed with our "sound of music" (big grin)

ElkNut1

15-Jan-16
Some good info in these posts. Not everyone hunts the same.

That said some of you guys act like junior high girls with your little snide passive aggressive comments. Grow up

15-Jan-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Don't know how this guy kills anything.

15-Jan-16
Dpat,

Great comment "junior high school girls". I just can't believe what some people will say, on the "net".

I have read a lot of Pauls posts on here and other sites. He has always been helpful, never pushed to sell anything. His love of elk hunting is obvious, he just wants to help other enjoy it like he does.

Some of these people need to grow up.

Post, like the negative ones above, are why I quit frequenting these sites. What a shame, I let idiots likes these guys drive me away. No more. Quit bashing people. If this gets me banners, so be it. Enough!!!!

Toby

15-Jan-16

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Wondering how much to bugle?

Be the bull Danny.

15-Jan-16
I enjoy honest debate and differences based on various people's experiences. I think they are helpful. As a lurker or participant I don't need the zingers. They tell me much more about the sender than the recipient.

16-Jan-16
Thanks for the comments!

Toby, great to see you make a stand! No reason in the world to leave a site because of a few. There's so many great guys here to glean solid info from, hang in there sir!

swede, I agree with sharing various viewpoints, right from the top it was mentioned that there's more than one way to skin an elk! (grin)

With the varying terrain & hunting conditions/pressure we need to adapt to that for sure as Wyobull mentions. When we find ourselves in areas with few hunters certainly consider locating elk in the area through bugling.

With so many new elk hunters joining the ranks every year many have this very question, should they bugle or not? It doesn't matter how remote they are but they feel by them bugling they will chase elk off, why, because of hunting sites & TV elk hunts. If elk are running from your bugle you are being seen or winded in many cases. In other situations you may have a bugling bull & you start bugling your way to him, this is an error on the hunters part, this needs to be avoided especially when there's a single bull bugling.

With multiple bulls bugling at the same time & area then a hunter can get away with bugling & moving towards these elk but why would you be bugling at this time & distance when these bugling bulls are already giving away their location? This is a time to move in silently with good wind & get position as you pick ONE elk out & attempt a stalk on him!

So, in a nutshell, if elk are bugling on their own there's no need to try & locate with your own bugling just to hear yourself bugle!(grin) If elk are not bugling then this is the time to escalate your bugling or calling of some sort trying to arouse elk within earshot to give away their position. Of course being mindful of other hunters around could dictate volume & intensity of ones bugling. Use common sense in choosing these spots to call from.

I will say that it's quite common for us to bugle for location with other hunters around, if we hear another hunter call back we simply move the opposite direction & move on, we are looking for that vocal bull, if one responds we get on him quickly, if nothing responds within a few minutes we continue to move on covering as many hills & drainage's as needed, doesn't matter how many miles it takes we keep moving in search of bulls! This is a running & gunning style.

Yes, there are other ways to hunt elk successfully but there's not many things that can replace the adrenaline rush a bugling bull can instill in you as he comes in hot! It will make you feel alive! (grin)

ElkNut1

16-Jan-16
"If elk are running from your bugle you are being seen or winded in many cases." I agree, but it seems that, my area has so many hunters calling, the elk could qualify for a Phd. on their knowledge of the various manufactured calls. I use yours smaller Chucklers, but in the same manner Wyobullshooter does. I like using short, small bull two note bugles, and setting up close by. Cow calls are not as effective as they used to be, but they are not as big a problem as aggressive bugling can be either. I am concerned that, more run and gun aggressive calling will put the few elk left in the area to flight. What is your thought on this?

16-Jan-16
swede, most areas where there are dirt roads around on OTC public lands you will find other hunters, that part is a given!(grin) We too hunt OTC public lands & yes there are plenty of areas that are crawling with locals & out of state hunters, more so these days than in past years. I do not completely distance myself from these areas because I have a 1/2 dozen spots within 20 minutes of dirt roads that I really love to check out from time to time. I find weekdays are the best times as most hunters are weekend warriors or they don't know the country that well. Our success rate here is 5.9% for cow or bull, the last 5 years of stats show over 6,000 hunters had tags here, so yes we hunt some pretty pressured areas & kill elk everyear!

As far as calling to locate. My calling is louder well before daylight as I'm looking for bulls. Once located I will manage all calling according to the encounter. At no time do I attempt to imitate a young bull, real bulls do not do this & neither will I. Mature bull bugles & such will attract bulls of all ages. This doesn't mean I bugle or call at the top of my lungs it means I use mature bull sounds to the best of my ability & volume will vary according to bulls desires & wants, I do not take into account a hunter may hear me, all my focus is on this bull & what it will take to put him on the ground. Right time right sounds trump worrying about other hunters.

Again this is done in specific spots that I am very familiar with & have taken a lot of bulls in these spots over the years. Those areas I have hunted for the last 25 years, in that time the elk are still there being hunted with tons of pressure, few kill elk there but that's their fault not the elks.

My question to you is how long have you hunted your present area? I'll bet it's been many years? Are the elk still there despite all the calling you say already takes place there every year by countless hunters? I bet they are. Ambushing them may be better than calling, some areas are just that way but do not eliminate calling all together as it can come in very handy!(grin)You may need to tailor your calling to each bull differently for best results. Calling elk is an art, it is not mastered over night! Nothing better than boots on the ground & trial & error!(grin)

Please feel free to ask any questions that may be more specific to your concerns. This is open to anyone.

ElkNut1

16-Jan-16
Thanks for your response Paul. The elk are soon off the National Forest after the season starts. They go to a nearby ranch where you can call to about 600 of them total in three general areas of the ranch. The elk will bugle back to me most of all day, but not come to anything I have tried. It will not take more than three or four days for them to get behind the "NO HUNTING" signs. This has changed a lot in the 25 years I have hunted there. Now and then some will venture off the ranch and back onto the Forest. It will be small herds with a smallish 5X6 herd bull. These bulls can be effectively called. It is weird to see herds of 50 or 60 elk with several bulls together on the ranch in late September. I don't understand herds like that in late September with several branched bulls. Some have speculated the rut is starting later. They claim they see the small calves in August and September. I have not seen that. I believe they are reacting to the public land pressure, and it may be effecting the breeding. Still, I really don't know. This I have found out: If I hang around near the ranch, I can pick one off on occasion when they leave, but I don't dare hold out if a good cow comes by. As you teach, the threat can be effective when you can get up close to a small herd bull that sneaks away from the main herds in late September. In earlier September, I have watched the elk head out at the calling of some very good location bugles. I saw two herds pass by my tree stand one morning, about 100 yard off as Mike Slinkard was bugling downslope from me. He never knew they were anywhere around. I talked to him when he came up and he thought they may have scented him, but could not be sure. That was a great example of good calling with bad results, but I am seeing the affects of what appears to be over calling each year. What I am talking about when I say, bugling like a small bull, is setting up and calling periodically and waiting for an hour in one location. I am waiting for a curious bull to sneak in. It does not work often, but once in a while it does. I think it works better than run and gun these days, in the area I refer to as mine. I have been thinking of moving on to a new pasture with all of the hazards that comes with it.

16-Jan-16
Usually I enjoy these threads, until cnelk decides to stalk Paul again and open his childish mouth.

17-Jan-16
swede, very good post on what can happen when trying to call elk from those private ranches, it can be very frustrating & unproductive at times. Those elk are no dummies, they know the sanctuary boundaries where they are not hunted & harassed. Calling to them with the various levels of the Threat would do little at longer distances. Personally a breeding sequence would be a better choice especially when the rut is going strong. That is what brings the satellites to those groups in competition to any hot cows that may be there. Representing that method can be deadly with a very good setup even with elk several hundred yards away. No guarantees for sure but ones odds are heightened with that method over the Threat. I also like how you were Advertising yourself with the lonesome charlie young bull bugles!

It's not uncommon for multiple bulls to be in a herd on about any day in Sept. When there are no hot cows present the dominant bull will allow other bulls to mingle within. They are no threat, no cow can be covered when not in estrus! We see this every year here on public land. Once a cow or several cows start showing signs of coming into estrus the dominant bull will force the satellites/juveniles out of the herd. These bulls don't go far since they have the same urges as the dominant bull in wanting to breed cows. Generally within a couple hundred yards.

What now takes place is these satellite bulls now do their best to pull this hot cow/cows away from the herd by bugling,representing dominance & strength in an effort to represent a possible breeder type bull to the hot cows. It's the cows who will choose or allow a bull to breed her, they ALL want to be that bull! This is when you will experience Peak Bugling as they are contending for these hot cows!

All in all I personally don't put much time into hunting lands that are close to the ranches or private lands. I like being able to roam where I please with no restrictions, plus if I wound one I hate thinking of what a hassle it would be in retrieving an elk behind the fence. I can see though why you would treestand hunt it on selective trails as they travel to & from. Good luck on your decision to move or not, you know you can always return to that area but it is nice to explore other options!

ElkNut1

17-Jan-16
Because I can't hear worth a damn, I almost always setup in a stationary location - well used trail and/or wallow, basically white tail tactics - wait for them to come to me.

In the past years I almost never bugle and very rarely cow call - maybe cow call couple times just after daylight, then again noonish, and again just before the sun hits the tree/mountain top. "Blind calling" as some have referred to.

There is always a lot of sign in the area - almost never see another hunter. I do see elk from time to time on the other side of the creek bottom (couple hundred yards).

I have gone on line and listened to other hunters who "teach" others how to bugle as well as listened to actual (real) elk bugling. I've recorded those sounds and, as mentioned earlier, I practice A LOT, and have gotten fairly decent.

With my type of scenario/hunting style - what/how would you hunt?

17-Jan-16
Inshart, I'm not the most patient guy in the world, so I rarely sit in one location, unless I'm in my treestand, for more that 5-10 min. Obviously, if I either know or suspect a bull's in the vicinity, then I can become very patient! Although I use location bugles less than I used to before the increase in hunters, I do still throw out a bugle every 10min or so, although I hardly ever do so more than once from any one location. I also keep my volume fairly low so that a bull will hear me, but preferably not another hunter. I cow call quite often, whether I'm walking or stopped. What I'm looking for is any response from a bull. Once you get a bull to respond, the odds shift dramatically in your favor. That's why I like to call quite often as I'm walking. It's very thick in the areas I hunt, so it's rare that you see the elk first. If you don't know they're there, all you'll do is bust them and waste what could have been an opportunity. Regardless of what call you use, bugle or mews, that's why I'm a big believer in doing some sort of calling quite often. Once I do get a response, I get within his comfort zone (100yds or closer if I can) as quickly, and quietly, as possible and hit him with a challenge bugle. His response will dictate how aggressive or subtle I need to be. Word of caution...be aware that the closer you get to him, the more likely cows, calves, and satellite bulls will be around.

Couple things I would do differently if I were you. I would call more often for the reasons I gave. Since you say you rarely see other hunters, I wouldn't hesitate to send out location bugles on a fairly regular basis, especially from high points where you can call into different drainages.

Another thing, if you're seeing elk a couple hundred yards off, get closer! You can call till you're blue in the face from that far away and you'll rarely call them in. They'll bugle back, but that's normally about it. Get in tight, and you force that bull to do one of two things...fight or flight. Many times he'll choose to fight, then the fun starts! Just my perspective on what you posted.

18-Jan-16
Leave the bugle at home!

I find that it is much better to use my favorite secret call a or a hoochiemama. Best to call 3-4 times a min (or more) as that is the absolute best way to locate and kill elk..

This information was gathered by hunting lots of otc units in colorado and observing tons of NR hunters who apparently find sucess this way..

Good luck and again I believe the call is called a hoochie - mama but dont let that get around too much!!

18-Jan-16
Inshart, I'm with you bud, I can't hear all that well myself these days, fortunately I can still hear just enough if a bull bugles not too far away. (grin) When with my son hunting I'll bugle here & there & he'll say did you hear that one! I'd give him the deer in the headlight look like what??? He'd say yep one just bugled over there! Makes me wonder at times how many times I've walked away from a bugling bull & never knew it when hunting alone!(grin)

Are you interested in any elk or just branched antlered bulls? If only bulls you are best suited to pick dates that will up your odds of a response during your hunt such as anytime after Sept 10.

In your situation in a running & gunning style I'd definitely be casting out several bugles well before daylight in hopes of receiving a bugle back & getting a direction on him. Once found I'd shut it down & get over his way. -- If no response keep moving & bugling once you feel you are far enough away from your last bugling spot that your bugling now reaches new country. Toss out 2-3 bugles each time & wait several minutes in hopes of a response back. If your area is big enough to keep moving & penetrating in hopes of locating elk this way then I'd keep doing it until I found a vocal bull.

If area is a smallish one & you really feel elk are there but just not rutting at that time then consider a cold calling setup or two that draws on an elk's curiosity since you are already there. You don't want to just leave & burn up a hunting day.

If after any elk tailor your cold calling to attract any elk. This means dominant cow chatter over bull sounds, you can incorporate bull sounds but sparsely. If after bulls only then tailor your cold calling to bugling, being creative here with a variety of bull sounds can attract bulls very well, adjust your volume to fit your area, incorporating foot stomping light thrashing around & raking trees/brush can add realism to your setup. Call & rake off & on for 20 minutes taking to stop here & there & watch & listen. Keep eyes open & head on a swivel, elk can slip in silently at any time, I'd stay in that one spot one hour minimum. This can pull those curious bulls over your way to size you up!

ElkNut1

18-Jan-16
wyo & elknut, thanks.

Any-elk-L-do, other than a calf.

Jah, LOL - actually I have one of the compressed air horns - I figure if I hold that up to my bugle tube that should do about the same as the hoochiemamma.

19-Jan-16
As an occasional elk hunter from Wisconsin I am really enjoying this discussion. We were hunting Colorado this year, had moved twice already, 2nd time several hours to a spot we had never been too. 1st morning heading up I had someone following behind me bugling every couple of minutes. Cow called back in his direction once to clue him into my presence (I suck at calling) but this only fired him up!! When I hit the top I followed the edge to the right & fortunately when he topped out he continued straight across the top. An hour later he was almost out of hearing when I spotted an elk bedded down about 80 yds away. As I was checking the wind & thinking about stalking closer I could hear the "bugler" turn & start heading back toward us. The elk seemed to hear this too & stood up, giving me a look at a nice 5X5 rack!! I wondered if he was interested in the bugling but he answered that by turning & heading my way. He disappeared in the trees & after a couple minutes without seeing him again I figured he was going to cut the end of some rimrock I was standing by, so I dropped behind it & slipped to the other end (100 yds) to check. Maybe three minutes later here he came, slipping through the trees like a nervous whitetail buck, at least until my broadhead slipped through his ribs and ruined his day. For sure I am no expert elk hunter but I do know that this elk wanted nothing to do with that guys bugles. For what it is worth I was in the Colorado woods for 10 days, spiked in once, never heard an elk bugle at any time.

19-Jan-16
Jeff, congrats on your patient ambush & your bull, nicely done!

Sounds like you were possibly heading up a trail or some sort of access point for another hunter to follow your same route? Sounds like the guy was bugling in a ridiculous manner. Way too much in most cases, heck who knows maybe he's done that in the past with some sort of positive experience. In most cases that's a bit too much!

From the reaction of the bull it appears the other hunter was following a course other hunters had used previously where they most likely called on their way up the mountain as well. Whether cow calling or bugling, in time the elk in the area can be conditioned to where these possible threats stem from. Who knows you guys could have been the 12th hunters that bull had heard that year. Most of which had called right up the mountain. The first or 2nd time the bull heard hunters he may have come towards the calling but busted the hunters & fled, hard to say for sure?

At any rate the bull could have seen movement or winded the bugling hunter, it sounds something like that with the way the bull reacted & snuck out as he put distance between him & the threat. Do not let things like that keep you from bugling, bugling properly for bulls can be very productive. We need to both hunt & call smart! This is one reason I limit my hunts from trails & gated road systems that are being used, they receive lots of hunter & calling pressure. I would treat them a little more subtly.

Once again, nice job!

ElkNut1

31-Jan-16
Often I hear guys saying the elk are silent or won't answer their cow calls. Locating with a bugle has to be #1 on the list for finding bulls. It just is. Heck, I've read right here on this forum that guys will not cow call whatsoever and only bugle. Going as far as throwing their buddies cow calls away. Bugle often and find bulls......

03-Feb-16
Yes

• Sitka Gear