Breaker 16-Jan-16
Barrera 16-Jan-16
earlyriser 16-Jan-16
bowhunter 18-Jan-16
bowhunter 18-Jan-16
Shaft2Long 18-Jan-16
HDE 18-Jan-16
13-Jan-16
I am new to hunting and just not sure where I should make my choices. I am going for archery tags so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

13-Jan-16
There's a lot of nice units here. Gila units seem to be the most sought after. I recommend reading harvest reports that are available and looking at the data. Check topo maps as well. Some areas are harder to hunt due to terrain and altitude. Other areas are harder to hunt do to lack of animals. Either way it's fun hard work! Do your research, practice practice practice, be in mountain shape, and you'll be just fine. There's a nm forum in the region menu. You can pm me if you have questions. Good luck.

13-Jan-16
Lots of elk in northern NM. 50-53, 6. 34&36 can be really good

13-Jan-16
If you are looking for trophy bulls, the Gila, 15, 16A or D. If you want a little better chance of drawing, but still plenty of elk (though far fewer trophy class), then 51 or 52 up north.

There are lots of other great units, but the units above have lots of public land, are easily accessible, not too extreme in terrain, and one should be able to locate elk with the least amount of effort. Even without physical scouting and just doing some cyber scouting, you should be able to find elk within about a day or so of starting your hunt.

Best of luck,

13-Jan-16
Just look at the odds. 15, most 16's, 34, 36, 52 is easier to draw a good for a beginner, Valle Vidal.

You get 3 choices.

13-Jan-16
Odds for the Gila units, 34,36 are low single digit last I checked...and VV is a super long shot.

Good hunts if you draw...but don't hold your breath- grin

13-Jan-16
So the real question is... are there ANY units in NM which hold elk that have good odds??? Didn't think so.-Grin-

13-Jan-16
with 5% of total tags to OOS hunters, you're pretty much just making a (what is it $150?) to NM G&F every year. With no preference points though, you have the same (low) chance as every other OOS hunter.

13-Jan-16
I know residents that haven't drawn for years. in areas that aren't even high quality. Archery and muzzleloader does help your odds a bit though. If I don't draw this year I think I'll try my hand at a co otc hunt.

13-Jan-16
the fee is $20 bucks if you don't draw although you have to pay the tag and license fee upfront(refunded if not drawn). There's really no secrets all the good units have terrible draw odds as has been stated single digits. I don't know much about the northern units 45,52, maybe unit 9, etc except the draw odds are better.

14-Jan-16
Breaker if you are a resident your odds will be higher than single digits depending on the unit. If you are interested PM me and we can go over units with good draw odds depending on where you want to hunt.

14-Jan-16
There are units and hunts with 10-20% draw odds. Not great but better than the less than 1% odds offered by the Gila and Apache units(15,16a-e). Study the draw odds reports and you'll figure it out.

14-Jan-16
I'd definitely try for the Valle Vidal. Long odds but a heck of a hunt. I got lucky and drew my first attempt. Did the same for ibex and Alaska unit 14C sheep two years in a row. However, missed the Powerball Jackpot last night.

14-Jan-16
Painless Sorry about last night but after drawing those other tags the least you can do is give the rest of us a chance.

14-Jan-16
What do you guys think the best "opportunity" archery hunt is for good rut activity and just pure volume of Elk?

14-Jan-16
I also drew the Valle Vidal first time out. Without a doubt that would be my first choice. You'll have the hunt of a lifetime there. The rest of the other advice above is solid. You can get a sense of how many tags are available, where the demand is, and how likely you are to draw by doing research on the NMDGF website.

Elkman, I've hunted the Gila and the north New Mexico units. Hands down the best opportunity for volume of elk was the Valle Vidal. Not even close.

15-Jan-16
Thank you guys for all of your input. I am a resident of NM. I have been looking at the odds and I'm think the Valle calderas 6b ( this year you are able to use the draw through the state) , 16d (~7% chance), unit 9 (~61% chance) based on odds last year. According to harvest reports the biggest herd in the state is up north in unit 52. I have been checking topo maps and just picking the brains of everyone to see if there is a consensus of good units and trying to make a educated decision.

15-Jan-16
To apply to the Valle Vidal does it have to be one of your 3 choices or is that a separate draw. When is the deadline this year.

15-Jan-16
Tracker12

Yes it would go into your 3 choices. There is only one draw through the state. However there is a separate raffle for the Valle calderas.

Big Game Application Deadlines Feb. 10, 2016 Deadline to apply for turkey and bear draw permits. Applications must be completed before 5 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST). March 23, 2016 Deadline to apply for Barbary sheep, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, ibex, javelina, oryx and pronghorn antelope draw licenses. Applications must be completed before 5 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time (MDT).

Per the proclamation

15-Jan-16
Stay away from unit 9 unless you want an expensive camping trip. you would probably draw 9 if you apply but will have a tuff time finding elk on public land. the Elk heard is really suffering there. the northern units have more elk and the quality is getting better.

15-Jan-16
Units 2, 5B, and 7 in that order.

15-Jan-16
A caldera hunt would be amazing. Good idea, breaker. That hunts definitely on my bucket list. The odds were already really bad, I wonder how they'll be now that the draw is through game and fish. At least it'll bring them more money for conservation.

16-Jan-16
Dyjack

I am hoping to get drawn in the caldera it would be great. I am not sure how much better the odds are but at least we don't have to pay 35 but I didn't mind paying raffle fees because it goes right back into conservation

16-Jan-16
Maximize your odds of drawing. Don't just look at total applicants to tags. For your 1st choice pick a great unit in the event your # gets pulled early. 2nd choice find a strong unit that people actually drew as a 2nd choice. For your 3rd unit choice also check to see if people drew that unit as a third choice. IMO drawing is challenge the elk are there just need a tag first. I play the odds and have drawn 3 of the last 4 yrs. Good luck.

16-Jan-16
The VC is no longer a separate draw. It's part of the regular state draw and is listed as unit 6B. It's too bad, I enjoyed having two separate draw opportunities to hunt elk in NM.

18-Jan-16
Everyone is concentrating in the Gila or VC area, while I've been successful in the Pecos and Eagles Nest area 6-8 years.

18-Jan-16
Everyone is concentrating in the Gila or VC area, while I've been successful in the Pecos and Eagles Nest area 6-8 years.

18-Jan-16
"Units 2, 5B, and 7 in that order."

Wow

18-Jan-16
Wondered when that would catch someone's attention...

• Sitka Gear