Ebelljr 08-May-16
TLowell02 08-May-16
Elk369 09-May-16
coonazz 09-May-16
Straight Shooter 09-May-16
elkmtngear 09-May-16
ScottTigert 10-May-16
13-Jan-16
Without disclosing any units, has anyone been lucky enough to draw NM as a NR in back to back years (or more in a row)? Not talking landowner permits or through a guide. A "Yes" and a largest number of consecutive years will do. TODDY

14-Jan-16
I'm about 2:10, which beats the odds for the units I'm applying for.

14-Jan-16
Yes

2008, 2009 and 2010

public land unguided before NR unguided tag allocation was reduced. Haven't drawn since...

14-Jan-16
I am 0 for 9. This is the year though - I feel it!

15-Jan-16
Haha ya back in the 1990's & 2000's five straight years. Since the NR 6% deal once out of five.

15-Jan-16
Interesting for sure. Kind of what I thought would be the case. What were the allocations back in the 90's for NR Unguided?

15-Jan-16
My greatest drawing regret was the first year trying I drew a 15 tag and I turned it in. That was before I realized how difficult it is to draw.

2 years later I drew a 16D tag and had the most fun archery hunting elk than I have ever had since then!

Now trying to draw either is like pulling teeth.

15-Jan-16
2013 deer 2014 elk 2015 deer

15-Jan-16
SteveB- Not quite as regrettable as yours. I drew 16B as my first elk hunt ever in 1998. I allowed myself a whole 4.5 days of hunting. (Knowing what I encountered, it could have been one of the best elk hunts in my life. Still to this day, the biggest bull I have ever seen was on day 2 of that hunt)

I will likely be dipping my toe back in the NM application waters after a 10 year hiatus.

15-Jan-16
1995-2003, only missed drawing 1 year. Didn't draw again until 2011 and haven't since.

15-Jan-16
If I remember right, it was 85% resident, 15% non resident. No allocations for guided until the USO lawsuit which really screwed us. Pretty sure NM was stretching the quota favoring NR prior to, lots of non residents in the woods compared to residents back in the day.

15-Jan-16
It was 78% resident/10% non-resident/12% guided

Now 84% resident/6% non-resident/10% guided

15-Jan-16
Stoney is correct.

--Bill

16-Jan-16
2014 and 2015. Caught a 4th choice in 15

18-Jan-16
1995-2014 = 1 archery tag in 96,99,2003,09 nothing since.

19-Jan-16
0 for 8 years now

20-Jan-16
I am a resident and it took me ten years to draw a tag. after having a New Mexico elk tag for 17 straight years that really put me in shock. of course I only apply for the Gila units.

20-Jan-16
9 for 13 in the draw from 1996 through 2009

haven't drawn since.........

20-Jan-16
My Brother and I used to hunt 16A and 16D back before they split the units in the mid late 70's and if we saw another hunter in 30 days we were totally surprised. you talk about big bulls and paradise. those were the days!

21-Jan-16

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
NR limits,

Stony is correct with some some additional changes that eliminated some options all together. No cow NR tags. No NR tags in any of WMA's. Once had a great tag in the Humphries WMA that borders the REZ. North West of Chama.The only way I will ever get to hunt this agan is to be come a New Mexico resident. They still don't have a point system and I do like that idea. I have the same chance as any other NR who applies. Over all, NM is one of my favorite places to hunt.

Scott

21-Jan-16
I'm with Ron, 0 for 9 but this is about to change!

21-Jan-16
Just remember, the odds of drawing in a particular year have nothing to do with the outcome from the previous year, so don't let the previous year be a factor in whether or not you apply, your odds are the same. Best of luck,

02-Feb-16
Hey griz you must not hunt too many other places to consider NM 1 of the best. How many other states you hunt regularly?

03-Feb-16
I agree with Griz, NM has one of the best mixes of quality and opportunity of any of the States out West. I have the same chance every year to draw the best units as every one else in the draw. Can't really say that for any other western state besides ID (and there I'm limited to only being able to apply to a one species). There are also great units that you have a fairly decent chance of drawing that exceed the quality of the hunt you'd get on an OTC tag just about anywhere. The terrain in NM tends to be fairly friendly to elk and mule deer hunting over most of the state when compared to other areas out west as well. Plus the LO tags always leave an option for those who don't draw. I've hunted ID and CO and would put NM well ahead of those two states. If UT, AZ, or NV would ever like to give me a tag I'd love to compare them as well!

03-Feb-16
I guarantee that NM is a top ten elk state out west...

03-Feb-16
Deeper Explanation, vmcfadden and to any one interested, I like to to drive my own rig. The travel to New Mexico is not too taxing. Have taken my best Elk and Mule deer in this state. Have met some good people and become friends with a few. It is true that I haven't hunted everywhere in the west, nor have I drawn as often elsewhere. My first western hunts were (all rifle) in Colorado, Montana (twice), and Idaho. Followed by a Muzzy cow, and 3 OTC archery hunts in Colorado, mixed with 3 DIY (rifle general tag) hunts in Wyoming. Elk hunting DIY is my usual goal. I have learned I don't like to a degree; point creep, Grizzly country, Non-res. Wilderness DIY restrictions, wolf-depleted herds, or 2 1/2 day road trips to and from my hunting location. Also, dealing with drunks that can't remember what they told you. Once had an outfitter fail to honor a camp rental agreement. Resulted in a shortened 8-day hunt to a 6-day event with no notice. Lesson:Get a signed contract every time. I do plan to hunt Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming once again in the near future. If you have a recommendation, send me a PM!I'm open to suggestions.

LaGriz

08-May-16
Hello Guys,

I was lucky enough to draw a 16D late archery hunt. Its been many years since ive been lucky enough to draw. I'm looking for some advice/thoughts. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

08-May-16
This has been two years in a row for mule deer for me. First time applying for elk and drew a tag there as well. So far New Mexico has been kind to me but I know that good fortune won't last forever.

09-May-16
0 for 9 also

09-May-16
0 for 9

09-May-16
If I draw next year, that will make it 2 years in a row! At least I have the important one, the first year!!

DJ

09-May-16
I put in this Season with a Buddy from NC, who drew last Year for the first time...and we drew again together this Year.

So, he's 2 for 2, and I'm 1 for 1...but, keep in mind, these are not units noted for Trophy Elk.

Best of Luck, Jeff

10-May-16
0 for 6 Bought landowner tags in 12, 13, 15 three times. I'm done with that. I draw or I don't hunt

• Sitka Gear