cnelk 15-Jan-16
Hunt98 15-Jan-16
IdyllwildArcher 15-Jan-16
cnelk 15-Jan-16
Jaquomo 16-Jan-16
GF 16-Jan-16
jims 16-Jan-16
15-Jan-16
This will be my first time elk hunting this fall. I'm planning on hunting 5-7 days. It looks like the season runs 8/26-9/26.

For hunting 5-7 days, ideally what dates would you hunt? Why?

15-Jan-16
Depends WHERE & HOW you plan to hunt.

If you really want to call one in, I've heard the most bugling in that 3rd week, which is when the MLers are out there (unless they've changed the dates!!). That is when the hunting pressure is highest overall, but at least ML tags are by lottery (they ARE still a lottery tag, aren't they??)

Early & warm, they tend to be way up high, at least in the heat of the day. 2000-3000 feet of elevation change from their nighttime ballroom to their daytime bedroom really doesn't bother them much.

If you want to hunt fairly close to a road, you'd best get out there early.

Also in the first week, they are less likely to be herded up yet, and you're more likely to find an individual cow & her calf (or even a bull, for that matter) with fewer pairs of eyeballs that you'll have to sneak past.

If you've lined up a backcountry/wilderness area hunt where few people are apt to go, give them 10 days or so for hunting pressure to stock the pond for you.

And if you want to track one down in the snow, of course your chances are probably best in the last week.

As a rule, the later in the season you go, the flightier they'll be. Again, if you've packed in deep, that can work to your advantage - they'll be a bit spookier, but there will be more of them around in the deep holes.

FWIW, if you're coming in with a NR tag, see if you can't squeeze in a few more days. Especially if you're DIY, because it will take a few days to scout the area, get acclimated just a bit to the altitude, and basically get your brain into Hunt mode.

And of course, just like the ski areas, things get awfully crowded on weekends but can definitely lighten up during the week. So I'd make the travel arrangements for the weekends. Even by Sunday afternoon, a lot of guys are bagging it for the week because they have to get back to work.

One last thought....

Scout your area on Google Earth or Bing birdseye view. I don't know if it's unique to the unit I've always hunted or not, but the satellite shot of "my" drainage was taken during the season, and I can pick out 3 wall tents and a tipi set up up there. It's not as low-pressured as it used to be!

But at least the local NFS Rangers have been getting out and letting folks know that they can't just settle in up there for the whole month...

15-Jan-16
Good advice GF.

I like opening week myself.....like GF says "As a rule, the later in the season you go, the flightier they'll be"

Get'em while they are still stupid!

15-Jan-16
You have to decide how you are hunting. Waterholes or chasing rutting elk. I always like to hut early before the Mountains are filled with "Stupid".

Now if I'm hunting private property I may go later in the month trying to catch rut activity.

By the way it will be very hard to get on elk in 5 days especially if this is your first foray into elk hunting.

15-Jan-16
This question gets asked a lot, you could do a search and see past threads. I've gone early a few times, and at the end I tell myself I will go later next time. I just like the thought of unpressured elk, but early also usually means quiet elk. You have to pick your battles.

15-Jan-16
There is no bad week.

First week: You get first crack at undisturbed elk, water holes are generally more productive, bugling is less.

Second week: Bugling picking up, no muzzleloaders yet, bulls gathering cows.

Third week: Bugling is at or near Peak. Some bulls have harems, many are gathering, muzzleloaders may be an issue but you also may never see or hear one.

Fourth week: Less pressure (in my area) Aspens are blazing, temps dropping, bugling is good. Some bulls have cows and can be harder to call.

All these are general observations. A certain drainage, with the right weather and one of those magical few days when the elk are pumped up and you can see incredible action any time. It works the other way as well and the only fresh tracks or calling you hear is your own even though everything "should" be perfect for getting into elk.

Time in the field is a giant multiplier when it comes to killing elk with a bow. I would pick the week that lets you squeeze the most available hunting days.

I like late to have the best odds of hearing bulls. If I had one day to hunt and the primary goal was to kill any elk, it would be opening day.

15-Jan-16
i have done well every week of the season, just have to decide what kind of hunt you want. just because the rut is on dont mean they are easy to kill.

15-Jan-16
I have killed elk every week of the season.

Dont matter what week, just take AS MUCH TIME as you can

15-Jan-16
A little more on my hunt. I'm planning on OTC with an outfitter drop (public land) camp via horse with a friend. My preference is any legal elk... Whether it's a cow, spike or bull. Hunting method preference: spot/stalk/calling.

15-Jan-16
Then go 2nd or 3rd week.

15-Jan-16
FYI. OTC and spikes don't mix

Just saying.

16-Jan-16
2nd or 3rd week so long as the outfitter didn't have a drop camp in the same close proximity the week before you arrive.

16-Jan-16
+1 for 2nd/3rd, but talk to the outfitter abut options before you commit to a date. That might be how you find out whether he drops people into the same spots week after week, or if he rotates them around more.

And look over the larger area... Are you going into an area that will turn into a refuge as pressure builds elsewhere? If so, the Elk that you run into later in the month will have been pressured, but likely not by the guys who were hunting that area the week before you....

16-Jan-16
I really like doing it on my own because I have a lot more flexibility! It's really nice being able to watch the weather, moon phase, hunting pressure, and the rut is kicking in. Every year may be a little different. If I was paying to hunt anywhere in Colo I'd try my hardest to find private land that may charge similar rates to a drop camp. That way you know there won't be hunting pressure. Elk go where there is little pressure. Usually that's private land here in Colo!

• Sitka Gear