LINK 19-Jan-16
Mike Vines 19-Jan-16
Royboy 20-Jan-16
oldgoat 20-Jan-16
LINK 20-Jan-16
HDE 20-Jan-16
cnelk 20-Jan-16
18-Jan-16
Most states, if not all, issue E/S archery elk tags. But as I read thru elk threads many hunters arent interested in shooting 'Any Elk', as professed by calling techniques or other self proclaimed factors.

So, maybe states should issue 'Bull Only' and 'Cow Only' tags?

18-Jan-16
From a management standpoint and due to the nature of elk hunting, I think that most states should issue either sex tags for archery and cow tags like CO does.

AZ and NM have bull only tags. I think NV does too.

18-Jan-16
NM has 'bull only' tags for firearm hunts (muzzleloader and rifle) only. Archery are ES unless you're doing a late hunt in Dec down near units 34 and 36.

I would hate to see the archery ES opportunity go away. Some of us are just as happy to shoot a cow as we are a 360 class bull.

18-Jan-16
I concur cnelk. I would think it would be a LOT easier to draw a cow tag for meat.

As stated, here in NM it's ES for archery.

Carl

18-Jan-16
Here in Idaho most OTC Archery tags are E/S, it makes it nice this way as most hunters are equal opportunity hunters, they will take the first legal animal. There are hunters that hunt only bulls for sure but the majority of elk hunters out there will take Any Elk especially the newer elk hunter who is building his/her confidence to take an elk with their bow.

ElkNut1

18-Jan-16
Here in Washington it's spike or cows on the east side, with a couple Westside units, then you draw for branched antler bull. If you draw a bull tag it's for any elk then.

18-Jan-16
I dont see a point in changing the es tag. If you have your heart set on shooting a bull with an es tag in your pocket then it's your choice!

18-Jan-16
UT draws are bull only, the otc are spike and cow in those same units. There are a couple of 'Any Bull' otc units, and a lot of hunters go along with it.

18-Jan-16
I guess in many cases the easiest way to get a good close opportunity on a 300+ class bull would be having a cow only tag in your pocket.

I know that works with black bears....

18-Jan-16
Yep, worked that way in UT last year. Walked up on a 340 class and could've shot him at 40 yds after he stood up. Watched him in his bed for about 15 min prior to that.

19-Jan-16
I wish Colorado would make that change on the Limited Units. For example in unit 61 they only have E/S tags for archery season and no additional cow tags.

They do offer cow tags for rifle season and new last year muzzleloader, but not for archery since they already have the either sex option- and I telling you no one is using points in 61 to shoot a cow! Would be a great chance for those who will never have enough to draw the unit a chance to hunt it in archery season.

19-Jan-16
They do not use archery as a management tool, but you are very able to use your 61 Cow Rifle tag to hunt with archery equipment...

19-Jan-16
Wildwilderness- I see your point but I tell you what, if it was the last day of my hunt and had no bull down yet I wouldn't hesitate to take a cow from 61 just because I LOVE elk meat.

19-Jan-16
I like it like UT has for draw units. In NM if you don't draw there's not an option for a non res cow hunt with a bow. Would be nice if they gave some land owner cow tags for archery like they do with firearms. In OTC I would want either sex.

19-Jan-16
I have no problem shooting the first legal animal within my Longbow range. I like to eat meat.

20-Jan-16
Oregon has mostly es tags. Some units offer trophy elk and then spike/cow tags. If you have a great tag that takes 17 pts you probably don't want hundreds of other hunters out there bugging the big Bulls . A new trend is to offer bull only and any elk tags in the same unit making for better odds on the bull only tag as most do want any elk opportunity .I don't recommend Oregon for someone wanting to build points as it is expensive however you could get an outfitter tag for a fair price.

20-Jan-16
I don't want to be limited and if they did it that way then sure as hell the only chance you will get is for the opposite sex of the tag you have, been there done that!

20-Jan-16
Royboy I agree bull hunters in a draw unit don't want to compete with cow hunters. In NM they have a firearms cow season separate anything else. How hard would it be to have a ten day archery cow hunt in August before the regular season. I'm speaking mainly of NM as that's where I have hunted the most.

20-Jan-16
I think very few people would want to pursue a cow in August. People shoot cows with an ES tag because of opportunity when chasing bulls doesn't or didn't work out.

Most elk killed in Sept with a bow are bulls.

20-Jan-16
"People shoot cows with an ES tag because of opportunity when chasing bulls doesn't or didn't work out."

Im not so sure about this. IMO most people have stated on BS that they would take the first legal elk.

• Sitka Gear