Dave32 22-Jan-16
griz 22-Jan-16
WapitiBob 22-Jan-16
DonVathome 22-Jan-16
SteveB 23-Jan-16
griz 29-Jan-16
Medicinemann 29-Jan-16
21-Jan-16
Hello all, I know time is short for Wyoming but I just found out that I may have the chance to hunt a fantastic pc of very large, private, well managed for bulls, property in a General Area. I will know for sure this weekend. My problem is that I currently have 6 points and was planning on using them for a LE unit in the future. Reading on here I know that a General tag is not guaranteed as a first or second choice even in the Special draw. My question is: This is a one time chance to hunt a property that is as supposedly as good as most LE units, should I burn the points to make sure I draw for it? Or is there another way of protecting those points? I'm leaning towards burning them and enjoying a hunt now. I'm turning 53 this month and am learning that tomorrow doesn't always come. Thoughts? Thank you for any help!

21-Jan-16
Burn them. Life is short.

21-Jan-16
I would burn them if the place is that great. 6 points isn't going to buy you a great tag anytime in the near future anyway.

21-Jan-16
I would burn em

21-Jan-16
The only way to protect your PP's is to not draw your first choice. However, by not using your PP's, you may or may not draw a license that will enable you to enjoy a "fantastic" hunt. From the sounds of it, this hunt has the potential to be better than any LE hunt you may have in the future. If there's one thing I've learned the past few years, tomorrow isn't guaranteed. For me this would be a no-brainier.

21-Jan-16
6 points, I would burn them. The future is famous for braking promises.

21-Jan-16
Thanks all. I knew I could count on Bowsiters to help me. Having just been to a funeral of a friend that had just submitted retirement plans the day before she passed, I agree that tomorrow could be just a wish. If I get the word, I'm going now!! I'll let you know what happens.

21-Jan-16
griz- I have the same philosophy as wbs.

In the past year and 1/2, I have lost two people very close to me and both were in their early 50's. (I am 50).

I have adopted BigFin's mantra "I will run out of time before I run out of money".

I would be cashing in. Not knowing the circumstances, if you hop back on the points wagon again and you accumulate enough to get a general tag, your OIL hunt in 2016 at least has the potential to repeat itself a couple of years down the road.

21-Jan-16
You need me to send you a match?????

21-Jan-16
put the general tag as second choice, then you get to hunt general and don't loose points! Tell me if I'm wrong!

21-Jan-16
Putting in for a GEN tag 2nd choice in the special is no longer a guarantee. I believe it was about 50% odds last year.

21-Jan-16
I'll burn my max points if you can get me in there. :-)

21-Jan-16
"Reading on here I know that a General tag is not guaranteed as a first or second choice even in the Special draw."

Incorrect. A General tag is not guaranteed as a second choice.

With 6 points, you will be guaranteed a General tag in the Special or Regular draw as your 1st choice, but you'll lose your points.

If you're afforded this hunt, it sure sounds like you should dump your 6 points in the regular draw with the General tag as your 1st choice.

Your other option is to roll the dice and put in for the Special draw, put a point as your first choice the General tag as your 2nd. You probably won't draw a tag, but you could and either way you'll retain your points. I wouldn't. If I had a private land gig, I'd burn the points.

6 WY points is not a lot. Between now and when you'd have enough points for a truly "trophy unit," you could have several good hunts in General units.

22-Jan-16
Idyllwild, "put a point as your first choice the General tag as your 2nd" What exactly does that mean? I can burn one point as a first choice? Can you burn two? I wasn't aware that was an option. Bigger problem is, that the opportunity may not be there next year so this might be it. If I get the opportunity, I HAVE to get a tag because next year might not be an option. I'm a Pennsylvania whitetail hunter who has been fortunate enough to have a friend in Wyoming open some doors for me. I hunt whitetails every year in Wyoming and this opportunity sprang from that. I have killed a few small bulls in the past in Colorado but one of my goals is one big bull elk while I can still do it. This seems to be the road to that. The points are secondary and I am only now realizing that point creep will never get me too far anyhow. Thanks for the wisdom, everyone.

22-Jan-16
No, you can't burn points the way you are describing. You must use all or none. You could roll the dice and put one of the top trophy units as first choice in the Special (with General 2nd), but it sounds like you are going with the 1st choice General. No need to do the Special draw in that case.

22-Jan-16
Have you verified (IN WRITING!!!!) That this private land option is a real deal? How many acres, what kind of access will you have? any limits on when/where you can hunt? How long you can hunt?

Why is it a "one and done" deal? Do you personally know the owner? How many people hunt it a year? what is the historical success rate? Average size bull killed? If you would elaborate a little on the offer you got it will make more sense.

The worse case scenario is you use your 6 points and your're the one who gets shafted on the private land deal!

22-Jan-16
griz, youre over thinking a no brainer. this hunt isn't something that is gonna come your way anytime soon again. burn your points and take the hunt.

22-Jan-16
if you apply special for a hard hunt as a 1st choice a 2nd choice general you may be able to draw the special general as a second choice and keep your points but it is not guaranteed and the odds are getting worse by the year.

griz also sent you a pm

22-Jan-16
Wildwilderness, I'm waiting on the confirmation that I can hunt and everything will be wrapped up in writing at that time. I appreciate the concern. Thanks. The property is the real deal. I've known that for years but only dreamed of accessing it. Hopefully thats about to change.

22-Jan-16
Have a fun hunt Griz.

22-Jan-16
This is a no brainer, burn you points this year on a LE unit and go to this private spot next year if that is an option, do both! Then go back every year! you are very very very likely to draw special general every year as a first choice

23-Jan-16
I'd burn thm. I did the same thing in Colorado with 8 points on both deer and elk tags. I didn't take a shot. Just know that good private land is no guarantee. If you are OK with that, then do it!

29-Jan-16
Sad to say that the potential access fell through. Thanks for all the advice.

29-Jan-16
At last you made that determination before your points were compromised .....and you learned a little more about "the system" as it pertains to future draws.

• Sitka Gear