HD 19-Feb-16
Grunt-N-Gobble 19-Feb-16
YZF-88 19-Feb-16
Lost Arra 19-Feb-16
Grunt-N-Gobble 19-Feb-16
ElkNut1 20-Feb-16
ElkNut1 20-Feb-16
22-Jan-16
So my normal hunt is a heavy pack-in, 5-7 day hunt where I use my large pack/frame for a day pack. Making my first New Mexico bow hunt this year, private land so I'll only need enough room for a spotter, puffy, lunch, etc. Trying to find something that won't interfere with my draw, not worried about ability to haul heavy loads (for once!). I'm thinking +/- 1500 ci, needs to hold water, quiet would be a plus. Looked at some of the Badlands, Kuiu Icon Pro 1850. Ruled out the Kuiu Ultra 1800 because i'm not super-excited about a frame on a day pack. Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

22-Jan-16
Kifaru spike camp or Late season. Carries your day gear nice and can pack out an elk quarter no problem.

22-Jan-16
Glad you started this thread. I may also be in the market for one. Got a feeling I won't be packing any heavy loads for quite a few months. It's good to have great friends that can! (grin) I'll stay tuned to this thread!

ElkNut1

22-Jan-16

Cheesehead Mike's Link
If you don't have to pack too much and you're interested in an extremely light daypack (2 pounds), check out the Badlands Stealth pack.

It's a very good daypack considering the cost and how light it is. I've been using it for a couple years and it's light enough that I often stuff it into my big pack and pack it in so I can use it as a daypack when I'm on 5-8 day spike camp hunts.

There's plenty of room for rain gear, game bags, a puffy, hydration bladder, food, etc.

22-Jan-16
Check out the Badlands Point. I got tired of running around the mountains with a 7 lb pack on. This thing fits me great and holds just enough for a day or two.

22-Jan-16
When I was looking for a new daypack to do exactly what you need, I ended up with the Badlands Diablo. Love it.

22-Jan-16
Just sort of hard to beat a Badlands Superday for what you mentioned that you are looking for.

22-Jan-16
My call would be the Eberlestock X2. I'm on my second one and after trying many options nothing has compared to this pack for me. I only ever use it as a day pack. Versatility is unsurpassed.

22-Jan-16
I have a couple Badlands Superday packs, they are my go to pack for whitetail day hunts.

22-Jan-16
I have a Kifaru Urban Zippy. I did get the optional omni frame sheet and have used it with and without. It may work well for your needs.

22-Jan-16
Don't rule out the icon. That frame really helps. I liked mine so much I put a 5200 ci bag on it. It is so light that it is hardly noticeably and you can pack meat on it.

If you are tall at all I would skip the x2. Mine killed me elk hunting. Cant get the waist belt tight enough to support a load and it keeps slipping anyway. I do still use it getting back and forth to the tree stand, but doesn't even make the elk trip any more.

Cant speak to the rest. If i had the $$$ id be looking at kifaru as well, but happy with my setup right now.

22-Jan-16
OK, I'm looking for a good daypack as well. My concern or want from a pack is to be lightweight,Quiet,hold about 3 liters of water and not have a frame when using it as a daypack. But when you nock one down 2 or 3 miles back you can also carry out a medium load of meat (50lbs or so) to get back to the truck to get your pack frame.

22-Jan-16
I have Eberlestock X1 and a BL SuperDay.

Both good packs. The Eberlestock fits a longer torso than the BL SuperDay.

My 'go to pack' is the SuperDay.

They named it well

22-Jan-16
Kifaru Late Season does what you describe and allows you to pack some meat back to camp. I really like mine.

22-Jan-16
Alps XtremeZ

22-Jan-16
My boys got me a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 for Christmas this year after hearing me complain about hauling meat on my Sitka-45, which was never a good pack. So far, I've only used it for travel, but it's a great pack. The frame holds weight well, but it packs down to nothing empty. Super lightweight. You can run it without the frame, too, and then use the frame if you get something down. Seems very well put together; quality stuff, good fit and finish.

22-Jan-16
Kifaru spike camp for me. Used a x2, Load carrying sucks, loved the layout of the pack though. If the pack was 3 inches taller would be great. Badlands super day has no frame, layout is good for daypack but it made me sweat bad. I normally run spike camp with 2 large belt pouches on the sides and grab it. Easily pack out 60-70 lbs. I got mine off eBay for a great price but if I could do it again I would go with the late season.

22-Jan-16
I will agree with Butcher on the x2. I love that pack layout as well. Just not a good pack for a long torso.

If you are short and skinny, might be a good choice. You can put a lot of weight in it.

22-Jan-16
Badlands Superday or Kifaru Spike Camp. I have both. My Superday is the one I almost always take.

22-Jan-16
If what you currently have normally works for you, remove the larger bag and replace with a cpl pockets.

I use a Bikini frame, meat bag, and side pocket. Replacing the meat bag with a long pocket, it would then hold a spotter and the tripod would lash to the side of that.

22-Jan-16
If you don't have to carry more than a sammich and a little water, what you want is a fanny pack! Stay nimble.

22-Jan-16
Badlands Superday for the last 6 years.

22-Jan-16

Dubs's Link
Hill People Gear Umlindi

22-Jan-16
For early season hunts I like my Badlands Ultraday. The frame keeps it off my back, holds all I need.

--Bill

23-Jan-16
Look at bison gear packs..... IMHO the best out by far. And you can have them made with some custom pockets and stuff you need or want.... Trsv

23-Jan-16
I just recently bought the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and the Ultra 1800. The Ultra uses the same frame as the Icon and weighs only 9 oz. I have only used it once on a short trip. The Ultra and the Pro use the same frame and suspension and with a very little practice can be swapped in just a few minutes. I like having the frame for a couple reasons. First, I have had shoulder surgery in the past and with the frame and suspension, I can keep the weight off my bum shoulder. Second, with the Kuiu sling load system, you can carry out the first load with your day pack. I was able to do this on the one short trip that I made in December, hauling the majority of a whitetail deer that my brother inlaw killed. It worked great. Will be taking it to Colorado this year to put it to the test on something bigger.

23-Jan-16
It's really nice having a super light daypack for scouting or when I want to cover lots of miles without the chance for harvesting a critter. Having quick and quiet access to spotting scope/tripod and other gear is essential. Also nice to have waterproof, quiet cloth, and burr resistent material.

I've used and abused my Badslands 2200 for years. Great zippers and pockets, quiet access from top, camo, somewhat waterproof. Lots of straps for attaching sheds or bow/rifle/shotgun to pack. I also have a Sitka with same features but a little lighter weight. Sitka's pockets are really thought out well. If I have the chance of harvesting a critter and don't want to waste a trip back out I'll strap on my Kifaru frame with a light bag...then convert my frame to a larger frame for bulky loads.

23-Jan-16
if i am on a hunt where i have to pack my own meat out i use my badlands 2200. easy to shoot with it on. if i am on a ranch hunt where i can get a vehicle to the kill site or ranch hands or guides get the meat out i use my badlands monster fanny pack. really light and holds 100 ounce water bladder plus everything i need for the day.

23-Jan-16
Another vote for the Badlands Super Day Pack, it's the one I use on day hunts, without the need to carry a heavy load. However, be prepared for broken zipper tabs - it will happen!!

23-Jan-16
Kuiu 1850 all day long. I even brought out my bull elk with this frame in 3 trips. I have the larger bag for longer trips.

24-Jan-16
Have you looked into the Tenzing TZ 1140 Sling pack? For 10# load in the heat its looks to be ideal. This year I had used a sling pack to hunt local whitetails and it worked perfectly. May upgrade to the Tenzing to chase Colorado elk.

16-Feb-16

Stretch's embedded Photo
Stretch's embedded Photo
Alright, here goes an abbreviated kuiu icon pro 1850 review. Please note that the pack never left my living room; I have no comment relative to weight distribution, capacity, etc. For full disclosure: I am a huge fan of kuiu and use their clothing exclusively.

I am looking for a true daypack for use on a private land archery hunt. I don't really care what it will carry as far as weight goes. My goal was to find a lightweight, quiet daypack which would not interfere with my ability to draw my bow. I tried the kuiu. I loved it. I sent it back.

The pack is extremely lightweight and exceptionally well thought out. The attention to detail is amazing: it is obvious the pack was designed by a hunter. The external side pockets are very well put together and will hold a water bottle or a spotter no problem. There is a top pouch perfect for go-to necessities, and an ingenious vertical zipper which allows access to the entire pack. The adjustable torso length is again very well thought out and the hip belt is one of the most comfortable I have found. Even small details like a somewhat "sticky" covering on the small of the back padding which prevent the pack from moving and causing hot spots are not overlooked.

This pack would be perfect for someone who wanted a lightweight daypack easily capable of hauling a quarter on the first load. Not exceptionally quiet, not exceptionally loud. My only complaint (and reason for return) is that the hip-belt cannot be removed from the pack. Okay, it can be removed but along with it come the shoulder straps so that doesn't do me much good. I have realized I want a pack that can be used without a hip-belt. In summary I think most users will be in love and the price point is great in comparison to some of the others out there. I'll try to post some pics in the next few days. If you have and detailed questions let me know.

16-Feb-16
I really like the Tenzing 1250 fanny pack. It is very easy on my shoulders as have had some issues with other day packs. Can carry everything i need for day hunts and my back doesn't get soaked from sweat. it has strap for bow. i can carry out loins, etc on my first trip out.

19-Feb-16
I have a badlands 2800 I'll be getting rid of if anyone is interested. Will include a water bladder and a custom made add-on bag that fits between the batwings to increase the total c.i. to about 4000 for extended trips. Pretty sweet setup. PM me if interested.

19-Feb-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
This multi pocket (the more the better) day pack on an external composite frame has served me for years. (no brand name as I purchased it years ago at the Denver Sports show for $50. The frame came off another pack. The external frame keeps my back dry as there is an air gap between it and my back so I do not over heat in that area. I can haul out some meat if needed or an antlered rack. It has a decent waist belt and shoulder padded straps. Water resistant but water proof if I use a plastic bag inside to hold some things.

I know if I went shopping I just might purchase some of the ones mentioned above but sometime you just get "attached" to somethings.

My best, Paul

19-Feb-16
I second (or third) the Eberlestock X2 pack. I've used it one a wide variety of hunts (Wisconsin deer, kansas turkey, kansas deer, Alaska moose/caribou). It is a great pack.

19-Feb-16
I use my Kuiu Ultra 3000 for a daypack, it compresses down to nothing, and is super light. When I kill something I can get a big load out without going back to camp for a bigger pack. I don't even notice the frame while hiking around.

19-Feb-16
Bison Gear Lost River, a little bigger then you want but great day pack in my opinion. Shawn

19-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
The X2 is a great day pack. I've used one for many years and have packed in spike camps with it but I have to have load lifters moving forward.

I have a Kifaru Duplex frame right now but can't decide on which bag to get (mountain warrior or EMR 2). I have an old pack rigged to it for now and even though it's heavy, the support is way better for me than the X2. The duplex frame packs heavy loads so well, I left my dedicated pack frame in the truck on the last pack out.

19-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Here is the X2 loaded down for a few days of spike camping. Yeah, done with that with this pack.

19-Feb-16
I don't know how you do it YZ. I HATE that pack....for elk hunting. Absolutely killed me. I do have a long torso though. I still use it to go to the treestand, and have it rigged up to haul my stand and steps for short distances, but to wear it for 8 to 10 days straight. My shoulders hurt for a week.

19-Feb-16
Day one makes a day pack that I have used for the last 20 plus years. It is made out of fleece which means it makes no noise at all. My 2 cents

19-Feb-16
Day one makes a day pack that I have used for the last 20 plus years. It is made out of fleece which means it makes no noise at all. My 2 cents

19-Feb-16
YZF-88 How many days did you spike out with your X2?

19-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Spike camps with the X2 were 3-4 days max. Even after a mile or two hike, it was a major relief to set-up camp and then day hunt with it! Still, that's realistic for a daypack IMO.

My current pack is heavier but the duplex frame distributes the extra weight of the heavier bag so well I don't mind. This is a Kifaru duplex frame with a J104 bag sandwiched between an elk head and a Kifaru Grab It II. I've been using the J104 rifle scabbard for the water bladder and/or hiking sticks.

19-Feb-16
Stretch: if you don't need the support of the belt did you try just reversing the belt around to the front of the pack?

Buckle it on the front like another compression strap. Then you've got a belt if you need it.

19-Feb-16
YZF-88 Thanks. I've been debated back and forth if I should drop the coin for a new pack or not. I've got an X2 and would be doing 2-3 days out from base camp. Wasn't sure if I could get by with mine or not, but I'm thinking I could now after seeing yours.

20-Feb-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
As YZF-88 mentions the X2 is a very tough pack! My son & I have hauled many 85#-100# loads of elk out on them. I will say it does not compare to our EXO Packs for comfort with heavy loads but by the same token the X2 will get it done! If coin is an issue you can get by with the X2. I've also had my X2 loaded up with 4 days & 3 nights worth of gear. It included tent, sleeping bag & pad & the other needed items for the stay. My pack weighed 38# loaded. We did not end up bivying but I was prepared!

This photo shows a good load of elk I'm carrying on the X2, it took aprox 2-1/2 hours to haul out.

ElkNut1

20-Feb-16

Here's a 2nd photo of my son hauling a hind quarter out on the X2, it's the closer photo. The other pack is a Kelty Frame Hauler.

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear