wyobullshooter 26-Jan-16
GregE 28-Jan-16
oldgoat 28-Jan-16
Inshart 29-Jan-16
bowyer45 29-Jan-16
Dwayne 29-Jan-16
nowheels 29-Jan-16
25-Jan-16
I'm looking at a drop camp elk hunt with the camp at 9,800 ft.

Are there be any mosquitos, flies or ??? during the archery (early, mid or late) season? what altitude?

If so, how do you deal (spray??) with them?

25-Jan-16
The Colorado guys will be more helpful, but on 4 hunts in CO, later in the season (muzzleloader time or after), I have never experienced a bug or tick issue. Hunting at about 8,000 feet.

25-Jan-16
Depends on the temperature, but generally not a problem. Never worried about the bugs too much...

25-Jan-16
Depends on the year and location. A few years at 8500 ft, first week of the season, I have been eaten up by misquitos. Most years aren't a problem. But that is one reason I like a real tent with screens vs. just a tarp.

25-Jan-16
You will have flies, but nothing outrageous.

I scouted my hunting area in late July/early August and the flies were brutal. In the trees, you had to keep moving. If you stopped, the cloud surrounded you and you had to be careful to not suck them into your mouth.

No wonder the elk stay high.

25-Jan-16
If you're covered up with bugs, you're in the wrong place. Elk don't like them any more than we do, and if it's warm enough for bugs, it's probably too hot for the Elk. Think about it - you weigh 600 pounds, and you're wearing a fur coat. You gonna find yourself a nice, sunny spot to hang out????

25-Jan-16
By September most of the bug activity has passed, even at the real low elevations. The one exception is with the little pointy-butt black flies that bite, and can make napping on the mountain a pain. But there won't be that many and they aren't active early and late when you are hunting. Just annoying when you drift off into a nap.

Sometimes skeeters can be a slight problem if you're hunting waterhole-wet areas during the early part of the season. Wear a camo headnet instead of facepaint and they won't bother you. But that's unusual.

Like Z mentions, July- early August period is a whole different deal.

25-Jan-16
We had skeeters and biting flies a couple of years ago, but after day 1 they were gone. We set up in an area that had had a horse camp earlier in the season.

Other than that one occurrence (about 9500 feet) it has never been an issue.

25-Jan-16
Hunt98

Youre from Minnesota. Even if there are a few bugs around, you will think you died and went to heaven compared to MN.

At least that what I thought when I moved to Colorado from MN.

Just go hunt

25-Jan-16
Yellow jackets have been more of an issue than any other bugs for us.

25-Jan-16
Like they've said, mosquitos can be horrendous in the summer, but by Sep they really are a non-issue HOWEVER, once you kill an elk on one of those typically mild days, you'll think every fly and yellow jacket in the inter-mountain west suddenly decided to have a party on said elk!

25-Jan-16
Last time I elk hunted in Wyoming they had these dam black bees. I think I got stung 3 times in a week. They were the most aggressive bees I have ever come across. Musta been africanized! My forearm swelled up like a punkin.

Another trip - it was a moth invasion. Had one fly into my freaking ear. It was awful! I was freaking out! Imagine a moth crawling around in your ear - burrowing in for your brain. Couldn't get him out and made a trip to the ER. Lesson learned - if you ever have a bug you can't get out of your ear - rinse with water until they drown and get flushed out. Had that happen to a hunting partner too.

Mosquitoes don't bother me anymore, bigger insects do.

25-Jan-16
If you have a can of soda or anything open in camp, be sure to set something on top of it if you leave it sitting around. Good way to swallow a bee.

25-Jan-16
Ha! Nick, that reminds me of an incident one of my buddies experienced. He was sitting around camp having a cold one when he heard buzzing. Buzzing stopped so he didn't think anymore about it...until he took another swallow. He quickly found out a yellowjacket stinger doesn't feel so good when it buries into your tongue. Funny for us, not so much for him! lol!

25-Jan-16
i always take bug spray and a head net during archery season. never can predict the bugs. you may be hunting high and have to move low because there are no elk and get into bugs etc.

25-Jan-16
Bugs are not an issue where I go...UNLESS you beat on a log when calling, that happens to be a yellowjacket nest :/

25-Jan-16
Rob, Good thing he wasn't allergic!

25-Jan-16
They're not bad in September, usually. We've had scouting trips where they'd practically carry you off, then a couple weeks later there wasn't a single bloodsucker out...

25-Jan-16
Yeah Wyo, that's pretty funny. Really good thing he wasn't allergic.

Here's one- about 3 years ago beginning of August, I went on a camp/scouting trip in Colorado with 3 of my cousins, 2 of their buddies and 2 of their wives. I had worked all night then hopped in the truck around 6am to make the 4 hour drive to meet them at camp. Needless to say by 8:00pm that night I was pretty tired and decided to lay it down. Everyone else was still sitting around the fire, drinking chatting etc. It was fairly warm that night so I was only wearing boxers and gym shorts. With my tent door still open I was laying on top of my sleeping bag looking through my duffel bag when I felt something tickle my inner thigh. I thought it was just my shorts sliding across my leg then I felt it again. Looked down to see a fairly large spider disappear into the leg of my shorts heading north!! My immediate reaction was to stand up and make a feeble attempt to swipe it away all in one motion and in a split second decision after not knowing where it ended up I was standing outside of my tent butt ass naked next to the fire looking at my shorts and boxers in the dirt! Talk about a group of people laughing as hard as they've ever laughed at the same time wondering WTF!

And for the record, I'm NOT scared of spiders... I just don't like them! ;)

25-Jan-16
LUNG$HOT, too funny!! Great visual! I have a spider story for you: At my little "log" behind elk camp I have a coffee can in which I keep T.P.. One morning I discovered a bear had ripped holed in it with his teeth. Ok, not a problem.

When I opened up the can and pulled out the roll, a big spider dropped down onto my "jewels', and in my battle to swat him off he bit me on the inner thigh. He had entered through one of the rips in the can. Just missed the important part of my anatomy by a fraction of an inch (he was luckily turned the other way).

That bite swelled up and made me feverish, not a good thing in elk camp. I'm not scared of spiders either, just hate them!! Big poisonous ones were all over the place where I hunted in Australia, and I was way more creeped-out by them than by the deadly snakes..

25-Jan-16
Holy crap Lou- that's funny stuff! Luckily I didn't get bit but I never did find that stupid spider. He was on my mind all dam night! My cousins still haven't let me live that down.

25-Jan-16
A few years ago while hunting just a couple miles from McCall, Idaho a buddy of mine was bitten during the night by a spider. He didn't say anything about it until about a week later after we were back home.

He said that in the morning when he woke up he had a severe headache and although he knew he was supposed to be where he was he had no idea who we were or where he was - took him most of the day to come around.

From the description of what he said it looked like and the symptoms he had we looked it up and the closest thing we could come up with was he was bitten by a Hobo spider, which is known to frequent that area of ID.

25-Jan-16
Depends on the weather and they seem to have no problems with elevation, usually they are gone but not always! 2013 the area I hunted had fairly good population still clear till the end of season and that was at 9500ish feet

26-Jan-16
Lou that explains the x-ray photo!

26-Jan-16
During the heat of the day we have had pesky flies. They appeared to be like large house flies. No black flies or mosquitoes though. We hunt usually around 8,000+ ft.

>>>>-------->

26-Jan-16
So it looks like I'll leave the Thermacell at home by bring the bug out jacket.

Besides in the bugs/spiders, are there any other fun surprises that I might run into out there (poisonous snakes, infestation of mice, etc...)?

26-Jan-16
just put the whole bug thing out of your mind...and don't worry about snakes and stuff either. Nuthin is gonna get ya.

26-Jan-16
" Nuthin is gonna get ya ".................until it does:)

26-Jan-16
Inshart, my wife was bitten by a Hobo spider and had many of the same symptoms. It happened in town, and required a night in the hospital. Danged thing was living in the couch..

Yellowjackets during elk processing will be your biggest issue. Seems like I get stung every year. Its a good problem to have! :-)

Hunt98, in 45 years of doing this here in CO I've never had any real bug problems during hunting season except maybe one or two minor mosquito issues at a waterhole in late August. You want need a bug out jacket, thermacell, or repellent. Only a .44 mag for the tent spiders. Not like in OZ when we had poisonous snakes, deadly spiders, skeeters, and had to make sure no scorpions crawled in our boots during the night.

26-Jan-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

26-Jan-16
Mice can be a PIA. I once unknowingly set my tent up on a nest of the little critters and they ate a hole through my day pack to get at the gorp I left in there over night. I don't leave any food in my day pack over night anymore...

26-Jan-16
Havalons make quick work of those yellowjackets. I got a couple dozen on my last elk.

That said, I'd rather deal with yellowjackets than clouds of blow flies.

I've never had much of an issue with mosquitoes or biting gnats/flies on elk hunts. Too cold at night.

26-Jan-16
Hunt98...since you brought it up, yep, there can be other surprises as well. When it starts getting cold, mice will seek out places that are warm. That might be in your tent or camper, or under a tarp left outside. Also, they are constantly looking for nesting material, so don't leave anything laying around that you don't want chewed up. Let's just say I'm talking from experience.

One year I went to start my truck and it sounded like I'd thrown a rod. Scared the you-know-what out of me! I shut it down and lifted the hood. A freakin' squirrel had decided my fan housing would make a great place to stash his winter supply of pine cones. Don't know who crapped his britches more... me or than danged squirrel! lol!

28-Jan-16

GregE's Link
That's got me chuckling WyoBS :)

Hornets and their paper nests are not always up in trees. Found one in the bushes I was pushing through- before I got to it thankfully.

I am allergic to yellowjackets and hornets ( Vespidae ) so watch for them and carry my Ana kit and brief my hunting partners on it.

Pack Horse bumped a tree with paper nest on the back side packing out one year. Saw the horse hop then got stung in the neck, luckily thru my collar so it wasn't deep. My buddies kept a close watch on me and it didn't go beyond a little lightheadedness and localized swelling. the shot series I took many years ago still has some effect.

I now take my Personal Locator Beacon with me, as we are often out of cell coverage.

I know several folks who are allergic- few take precautions. Dying from anaphylactic shock when you could mitigate it would be a real waste.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/safety-and-survival/personal-locator-beacons-plbs/resqlink-personal-locator-beacon-plb.html

28-Jan-16
There are ground nest wasps too, easy to step in their nest if you aren't careful

29-Jan-16
About 8 years ago hunting in CO, 8500', the mosquitoes and flys were so bad that I had to go back to camp and get my Thermacell, if I hadn't, there was no way I could have hunted.

2 days later, other than a few flys, almost no mosquitoes at all. That's about the only time I've ever been bothered by them.

Thermacell doesn't take much room and you may very well be glad you have it with you.

29-Jan-16
More often than not, blow flys and yellowjackets will be on your elk on warm sunny days even in October. Carry some pepper and sprinkle on the bare meat. Transfer meat to bags as you cut up the carcass. Other than that bugs are not a problem in the mountains with few exceptions, compared to the midwest.

29-Jan-16
At 8.500 ft the most prevalent pests were black flies, yellow jackets when field dressing elk and mice. We car camped and could hear mice rummaging around the first night. Our campsite was a well used camping spot and over years some slob hunters had left remains of carpet and other things near the tent site.

The next day we dog a hole and put 5-gallon bucket in the ground, filled it 1/4 full with water. We then took an arrow and pushed it through an empty beer can, put some peanut butter on the can and placed the arrow/can over the bucket. In the morning we looked in the pail and could hardly believe what we saw - you couldn't see the water because there were so many mice. One of the guys started removing them and quit counting at 30 mice!

29-Jan-16
I have never had any problems with them the few times I've been out there. The lowest elevation was around 8000 feet, but that was 2nd rifle season in late October. My archery hunts have always been between 10,500 and 12,000 feet.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any issues with the bees and yellowjackets because I haven't had a kill for them to be attracted to. I hope to have to deal with that "problem" this year.

• Sitka Gear