alce 26-Jan-16
Toby 26-Jan-16
DL 26-Jan-16
AZBUGLER 26-Jan-16
Bob H in NH 26-Jan-16
IdyllwildArcher 26-Jan-16
ElkNut1 26-Jan-16
25-Jan-16
Well after several X-rays & a meeting with an Orthopedic Surgeon I sat down with him & found out the issue with my left leg! It turns out I have a Medial Gastroc Tear! The tear is on the right side high up on my left calf, it's been this way for several years but recently it finally went south on me! (grin)

God news is no operation is needed, the knee is fine! It will take 4-7 months with special exercises to heal up completely! The Doc said I cannot have any more than 50# on my back come Sept to Dec. Hmm!!!

Man it will be tough to stick to the rules but I'd best do what's best!

Thanks for the PM's of concern!

ElkNut1

25-Jan-16
Good thing you have a Sherpa son.

25-Jan-16
Yup...at 63 my 28 year old son and hunting partner has graduated from apprentice to pack mule ;^)

25-Jan-16
Yep, make those guns do all the heavy work. You can earn you're keep by calling in elk for them.

25-Jan-16
As the not-so-proud owner of two bad knees, I feel your pain. Good luck !

25-Jan-16
That's why you and your wife fed him so good all those years - so now he can take care of the old man.

Good luck and heal fast.

25-Jan-16
i guess you will have to kill a small elk to stay under the weight limit!

25-Jan-16
Can we exchange troubles? after a stroke last summer I am still learning to walk again, unfortunately I am still a little unstable in the woods, left leg not getting a response from the brain when it touches down on uneven spots makes it kind of interesting after dark. Anyway good luck !!

26-Jan-16
I find that if I do the therapy and a little bit more each day I am ahead of their curve. Remember old guys rule! Good luck!

26-Jan-16
I agree that "old guy's rule" and our bodies are amazing then throw in willpower and you will be amazed how you will feel by hunting season.

26-Jan-16
I'm sure all will be fine Paul, but good luck with the recovery. Ole Coyote, just keep after it, and best of wishes to you and getting right again!

26-Jan-16
So what's wrong with your but?

26-Jan-16
His son is part Billy goat. Trust me, I have tried to follow him.

26-Jan-16
Thanks guys! -- Nope sure don't want to trade health issues, Ole Coyote, good luck to you too sir! Thanks!

You bet I'll be hitting the therapy hard, I'm hunting elk hell or high water! (grin) I'll be doing the therapy on my own, I'm not much for facilities!

No problem with my son pulling his weight, he's as tough & strong as they come! It's me the concern is with being in top form to hunt 7-10 miles a day. Oh well, we'll see! The Doc told me Paul you're right at 61 you need to consider a 4-wheeler & slow down!! I was actually insulted. Nothing against 4-wheelers but not my style for our regular hunts!

Bigdan, nothing wrong with my "But" -- The But was I still have to rehab the left torn calf muscle! I'll be ready, applying for WY today!

ElkNut1

26-Jan-16
Be sure to follow the Doc's instructions to take it easy. This will allow you to fully heal that injury. After your healed, you'll be able to hunt more and more in the years to come.

Wish you the best in your "recovery".

Always enjoy your posts.

JMG

26-Jan-16
Glad to hear you won't miss any hunting. Maybe you should just let your son carry you on his back this season. Sounds like it wouldn't slow him down too much! It'll just make him stronger though and even harder to keep up with in the future, so never mind, bad idea.

Good luck!

26-Jan-16
Glad to hear you have a path to recovery, and a good strong hunting partner.

26-Jan-16
50# x 2. 50# on each leg.

26-Jan-16
Lol Bigdan, that's what I was wondering... Best wishes in your recovery Paul. Ole Coyote, I hope things steadily improve for you as well. Aging is not for wimps, that's for sure! I'm not at your level yet, but sure can feel every mile these days.

26-Jan-16
go to PT! At least for a bit, they are VERY good at giving you things to do, but they also have other things you may not, like electrical STEM which helps, they also will push you on things like flexibility that you simply can't do to yourself.

Go, at least for a bit, don't be afraid to cut and run if it's not working, but they give you lots of exercises etc. plus they work on you manually. If you tell them your goals, they WILL push you and it WILL hurt.

26-Jan-16
Paul, go to PT at least once for the education you'll get. You'll do better if you take the advise from the professionals that do this every day.

26-Jan-16
Thanks guys! I have a friend that is a PT so I'm good to go & doing the exercises recommended! Hope to be doing well in 4 months or so, I'll do my part for sure! Thanks!

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear