YZF-88 05-Feb-16
BULELK1 06-Feb-16
wildwilderness 07-Feb-16
wildwilderness 07-Feb-16
IdyllwildArcher 07-Feb-16
BULELK1 07-Feb-16
YZF-88 07-Feb-16
28-Jan-16
Time for the only legalized gambling allowed in Utah.

For the application guidebook use this link: http://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-big-game-application-guidebook.html

For 2015 drawing odds use this link: http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/hunting-information/big-game/118-hunting/big-game/1468-big-game-statistics-drawing-odds.html

To actually apply use this link: https://www.utah-hunt.com/(S(vudfzd5523ceww555k3gmf2i))/default.aspx

Don't forget to save yourself some money by applying before your 365 day license expires. Good luck...you'll need it.

28-Jan-16
Good info. Thanks for posting!

28-Jan-16
Thanks for the reminder!!!

Kinda not on my mind as much this year, and I completely forgot about it. But my license expires tomorrow!

Your reminder just saved my $65. Thanks!!!

Bake

28-Jan-16
Back in the saddle again (elk draw that is!)

Five year waiting period sucks....

28-Jan-16
Gongrats on being off the waiting list. I still have two years to go.

28-Jan-16
I just wish I could get ON the waiting list!

28-Jan-16
Thanks for the heads up!

28-Jan-16
All set. I feel like I've beat the system now :-))

28-Jan-16
Actually the drawing is completed by a company from Fallon NV.

Yep, it's nice you can buy the non-resident hunting license and its good for two draw cycles.

Good luck to all who apply!

30-Jan-16
I am off my 5 year waiting period/6th year apply for LE Elk.

Best dates in years this year.

Thanks for the heads-up Jason

Good luck, Robb

30-Jan-16
greg simon +1 The number of guys with 10 points is up 32% from just 5 years ago. Random draw is more likely than max points draw:) I'll be in again this year but Utah Elk is one and done for me!

30-Jan-16
Got mine done but I didn't see anything for Antelope. My waiting period was off last year got one point now.

31-Jan-16

BULELK1's Link
If ya need to double check all your points ----

See my link above

Good luck, Robb

04-Feb-16
Is there no Nonres. antelope hunting this year?

04-Feb-16

BULELK1's Link
Go to pages 51 & 52 bigdan as there are quite a few non-ressy antelope bow buck options.

See my link above

Good luck, Robb

05-Feb-16
Thanks Robb When I applied there were no antelope listed. its in there now so I got it done.. Thinking about coming to the expo in Salt Lake. And trying my luck on the archery tags.

05-Feb-16
Sure, no problemO ---- I figured it must have been an error on the appl. page/server.

After how RMEF got a deep screwing on taking over the Expo and it was awarded back to $FW/MDF.....

I pretty much stay away from the Expo.

Good luck, Robb

05-Feb-16
I just want to apply for the $5 tags

05-Feb-16
Do we find out if we officially draw a Wyoming elk tag BEFORE the Utah application is due?

Robb, I assumed it was a sure thing RMEF was going to get the tags so I didn't feel bad spending $15 to apply for three archery elk tags and give them my money "one last time". Now I feel like a hypocrite having to drive down there and validate the stupid things.

05-Feb-16
"Do we find out if we officially draw a Wyoming elk tag BEFORE the Utah application is due?"

Yes

05-Feb-16
I'm trying to understand the Utah draw process better, and in particular the "general" archery deer tag. What exactly makes it a "general" tag? My understanding is that as a non-resident to get one you apply in the draw and there is limited number available. Are they considered "general" tags because they are unlimited and OTC for residents?

I also see in the regulations a discussion of the draw sequence and how drawing a tag early in the sequence precludes one from drawing a tag later in the sequence. Does this apply to the general deer tags? In other words, if one drew a limited-entry elk or antelope tag, would they be out of the running to draw a general archery deer tag?

Thanks for any insight you are able to provide.

05-Feb-16
A general archery deer tag is specific for the general unit you apply for. If you draw a LE deer tag, you will not get a general tag because it's the same species.

You can draw a LE elk tag and a general deer tag for the same area provided the units overlap. I put my wife in for a general deer tag that overlaps with the LE archery elk tag she hopes to get. I just know if we're elk hunting and don't have a deer tag, and opportunity will present itself.

06-Feb-16
It has been brought up to simplify the deer draw by going to 1 point system on the 2 deer options of General Deer Preference Points and LE Deer Bonus points by simply adding them together into 1 simple 'points' type---

I have no clue as to why it still hasn't come together.

Good luck, Robb

07-Feb-16
To fully understand the general deer tag it helps to know the history. This is what I know but correct me if I'm wrong,

back in the day they were OTC for everyone. Then they started putting limits on how many tags were sold by regions (5?) and limiting rifle hunts to these regions. Archery tags were still good state wide back then. No drawing for these tags

At the same time Utah created a few limited draw deer units managed for trophy deer and made a draw system with bonus points for limited deer. so hunters started accruing deer bonus points.

Over time with declining deer herds these OTC tags would start to sell out fast (same day)in the better regions, and the total cap went lower. Finally they decided to break up the regions into units and actually manage the deer herds specifically. Archery tags also became unit specific. To fairly distribute these formerly OTC tags they created a separate general deer permit draw and preference points. And limited residents and non residents permits by units

That is why there are two deer categories , limited trophy units that use bonus points, and general deer with preference points. Currently a NR general archery deer tag can be drawn with 0 pp in most units

07-Feb-16
To answer the draw sequence question, only drawing a LE Deer tag will preclude you from drawing a general deer tag.

NR are limited to only drawing 1 tag in the LE/OIL draw. that does not include general deer

(Residents can only apply for 1 LE species and 1 OIL species so that is why their odds look better. I think that is also a big reason they haven't combined deer bonus points with deer preference points and one system for deer)

07-Feb-16
wildwilderness did a good job summing it up.

One other thing, in 2009, Utah started allowing NRs to apply for all of the LE deer and OIL hunts simultaneously, whereas before, they had to pick one.

So there's a bunch of people that have 7 points for all species and more than 7 points for one specie.

Utah has an order for doing their draws as wildwilderness pointed out, but you are limited in drawing LE tags. You can't draw two LE tags in the same year, although, the "General" deer tags, even though they're now capped in how many can be drawn, are not considered LE, even though they're essentially LE.

07-Feb-16
Well done!

It is confusing---

Good luck, Robb

07-Feb-16
I think at the end of the day as the deer point systems merge it will be closer if not the same as Colorado.

• Sitka Gear