huntingbob 31-Jan-16
Gerald Martin 31-Jan-16
WoodMoose 31-Jan-16
BigRed 03-Feb-16
brunse 03-Feb-16
Medicinemann 03-Feb-16
venison 04-Feb-16
30-Jan-16
I am looking to do an archery elk hunt. One of my old Army buddy's who lives out in Utah, contacted me and asked if I would like to do an elk hunt out in Idaho. I sort of have a couple of hunts on my bucket list and besides an archery , wolf, moose and buffalo, this is one of them. This is my question. I have pretty bad knees and had a chunk of lung removed so my wind isn't what is used to be.

My friend said that Idaho has a really reasonable price for tags for NR Disabled Vets. I am 90% due to my knees, neck, back, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Anyhow, he recommended that I put in for the Diamond Creek area because the Northern Idaho area has been pretty much decimated by wolves.

How rough of terrain is that area, (Diamond Creek), and does it sound like something that a pretty broken up guy could get himself ready for?? BTW, I have a consult with surgeons for a double knee replacement.

My friend said that he has never done archery or hunted with archery gear but he said that if he and his other buddy guided me, since the archery season is earlier, he could use that as scouting for his rifle hunt. later in the season. He also asked if I would want to bring a rifle and just hunt with a gun with them..... But I guess I'm sort of an idiot like that. After carrying a gun for the government for 26 years, doing it again on my free timer doesn't really appeal to me.

Does an archery hunt like that sound doable or should I stuff it back away in the closet of dreams not realized, or just grab a gun and do that? Any info or insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Jay

30-Jan-16
Jay,

Not knowing your full history, I say go for it! I can look at the Diamond Creek zone from where I used to hunt in ID and I think that there are some spots that are very doable for someone with a little more limited mobility. It's also an area that the game warden out there that I chatted with said has good numbers.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck and shoot straight.

30-Jan-16
go for it Jay,,,,,,,,bow or rifle,,,,,but don't not do it,,,,,,

30-Jan-16
I agree with Shiras on the terrain and numbers of elk. Hunting pressure will be a challenge though. Check your pm's.

30-Jan-16
Do it, JayG!

30-Jan-16
It is better to have hunted and lost, than to have never hunted at all! Go make your dream come true!

30-Jan-16
Agree with the others, make it happen! No matter how beat up a guy may be, alls it takes is one foot in front of the other at your own pace.

Here's to hoping you head west for an elk hunt, good luck!

30-Jan-16
Make it happen! Your not getting any younger.

30-Jan-16
You will have a good time no matter the outcome of the hunt. I say go and then go again the next year and put in for a moose tag in Idaho. Everyone has the same odds . No bonus or prefrence points. Good luck only takes one. Hunt

30-Jan-16
+1 on what Huntman says about moose in Idaho. Look closely at the odds for particular units. You might be surprised at what you see. As far as the elk hunt, even with the pressure in the unit your looking at, it's better than not hunting. No question about that.

30-Jan-16
Yep do it. The only think you really need to do is pace yourself. It doesn't have to be a foot race. Your friends know your limitations and you have enough help to get elk packed out. I think having them you help you on a bow hunt is a really good way to check an elk hunt off your bucket list.

What's the elevation? That will determine how far it is between breathers.

30-Jan-16
Not familiar with that zone, but ID has it's rough spots and, um, not as rough spots. Like it was said, pretty doable I think when you go at your own pace, one foot in front of the other. If those folks are going along to me that's the key. You get something on the ground it can be dealt with then. On the hunt you might even separate now and then and scout some good ground if not getting into elk right away.

You'll love archery season. The bulls screaming... awesome stuff. You'll have a GREAT time. Might even have to kick that elk bucket again and again.... screw the list....=D

30-Jan-16
Diamond Creek gets pressure but holds a lot of elk and some big Bulls. No grizzlies and few wolves helps. You will be in some good country.

30-Jan-16
Set aside a big bunch of time. Often it's hours in the woods that make the difference.

Make sure you have a packer set up. From what you say I think packing a big bull out may not be something you should do.

31-Jan-16
Better to have tried than "not". I am sure at the least you will make memories that will last a lifetime! That is what counts the most.

31-Jan-16
The only bad advice you might get on this thread is if someone talks you out of going on the hunt. Do it. Take your bow and hunt like you want to. Not every elk hunt has to be a marathon death march. You might not make it to every elk you see, but if you can put one foot in front of the other you'll get into plenty of good country.

31-Jan-16
Jay, make it 2017 and we will do a repeat of the WY trip, only in Idaho!

03-Feb-16
I've hunted the Diamond Creek Unit, and as others have mentioned, it gets hit pretty hard. But the elk numbers are high as well, so my suggestion is go for it. The terrain can get tough, but not ridiculous. Just don't hunt where you're not comfortable. Only you know your limitations. And hunt at your pace as well.

My only other suggestion would be to hunt early in the season before the elk get pushed deep or into those places most stay out of.

Good luck.

03-Feb-16
Guns are loud and heavy. September in the mountains with archery gear makes life worth living.

03-Feb-16
Your body is beat-up because of your ability to push through more than what the average individual can tolerate. I would submit that the same would apply to your ability to negotiate the Diamond Creek Unit. You know the drill.....

04-Feb-16
Just do it !

• Sitka Gear