Mule Power 04-Feb-16
Elkaddict 04-Feb-16
02-Feb-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

02-Feb-16
How true it is......

02-Feb-16
Or.... where you find out how little you really need to live like a king!

02-Feb-16
+1 Mule

02-Feb-16
Funny. There sure were a lot of 'kings' under the bridge yesterday during the snow storm

02-Feb-16
What TxTrapper and Mule Power said A 100 X's..

Good post Cnelk!!!!

02-Feb-16
All that guy needs is a cardboard sign reading, "Need Sitka. Anything helps. God bless!"

02-Feb-16
Great post.

I have had similar thoughts.

In the mountains, we talk about cleaning up in stream or baby wipes like we are geniuses and are so proud of ourselves.

If we did that in civilization, we would be invited into a shelter and generate prayers in our local church.

02-Feb-16
Good one!

02-Feb-16
So true!

ElkNut1

02-Feb-16

02-Feb-16
Lou, your a funny guy.

02-Feb-16
Good point but if homeless people were willing to work that hard it's doubtful that they would be homeless...

02-Feb-16
On the backside of that we have 50,000 homeless vets on the street right now that have done more than 91% of us could imagine. Every day/night we have those people who were willing to give all so we could elk hunt and sit here as keyboard jockeys, dying on the streets. Sad.

02-Feb-16
Funny, lighthearted post that is likely to generate a number of serious comments regarding the homeless.

A bit over a decade ago I lived in downtown Calgary while attending university. During my stay I spent a fairly large amount time visiting and having conversations with the many homeless people there. It was a very eye opening experience, for me. The main thing I learned is it's very difficult to make sweeping generalizations about the homeless (this is essentially true of all large groups).

Many of the people that I met had very obvious psychological problems.

I got to know a number of native Americans (or first nations, as they were called up there) that were serious alcoholics.

I met a few guys that had just made some bad decisions and were working hard to get back on their feet.

And I met some that were simply lazy and did not wish to work for a living. In particular, they didn't like the responsibility required in holding a job, paying a mortgage, etc.

One guy I got to know pretty was a perfect example of this. He told me he grew up homeless and had been on his own on the streets since age 12. At about 24 he actually met a nice girl, cleaned his self up and got married and had a daughter. His father in law got him a good job in sales, he bought a house and two cars. The whole deal. After about three years he just decided not to go home one day. Left his wife and kid and just went back to living on the street. Said he "didn't like the whole scene, having to be home at a certain time, having to do what the boss said" etc. When I knew him he basically had a route that he "worked" everyday; he would sit outside of certain office buildings at certain times and the workers on the breaks would give him money. He said he made $500-$600 a week this way, and never actually had to "beg" Everyone just knew him and kicked him money when they saw him.

It's a crazy world.

03-Feb-16
I'm fortunate and not homeless, but consequences of my decisions could have easily ended differently and I could be homeless. In any case, spending my disposable income to live as comfortably as possible in the wilderness is the best money I've ever spent. I can't really call it "living like a homeless person" though, because I feel most AT HOME in the wilderness.

03-Feb-16
Amen!

03-Feb-16
Good points by all, in retrospect I realize that my previous comment was narrow minded and probably only applies to a small percentage of homeless people.

03-Feb-16
Where I live - city of 250k, most homeless don't want to live by society's rules. Drinking/drug problems, don't wana work, constant begging which they then spend on drugs and booze. Of course you do have some folks dealt bad cards or down on luck. And psychological problems are a part too. I never give any money to a homeless person cause I know most spend it on booze and drugs.

The city has welcomed homeless for too long, and now they have a big problem. People were literally having to step over them just to get inside of there job. This is a county building where many law makers, judges, council visit. The final straw was when 2 homeless got in the building overnight and they took a shit on the JUDGES DESK! The company that maintains the outhouses outside for these people--quit because of how nasty they were--needles everywhere, shit everywhere. If we keep giving them everything, most will continue to live that way. I work way too hard to give them any of my hard earned money.

04-Feb-16
Great perspective Hackbow. The backcountry does indeed tell the truth and is surely a great place to find out about oneself. This coming from a guy who has never spent more than a few days at a time in the backcountry. I can imagine spending more time would be even more revealing.

04-Feb-16
"Drinking/drug problems, don't wana work, constant begging which they then spend on drugs and booze. Of course you do have some folks dealt bad cards or down on luck. And psychological problems are a part too. I never give any money to a homeless person cause I know most spend it on booze and drugs"

To me that's the problem. I'm always inclined to give them some money. But I don't because I know that there are some who would only use it to make their problems worse. I don't want to be an enabler. But I also know there are homeless people with very real struggles. Ones that aren't their fault or that they have no control over. I feel bad for the ones who are legit and get a bad rap for the ones who are just lazy human beings.

But these days that's the case with all groups of people, different religions, races etc. A few real dirtbags ruin in for the rest.

I know one thing... if I ever end up homeless I'll be spending the summers in the high country because nobody at an intersection will give me a dime when they see the Sitka logo and my 4 season homeless shelter.

04-Feb-16
Ha ha to the last sentence^^^^ funny!

• Sitka Gear