tommygun 02-Feb-16
IdyllwildArcher 02-Feb-16
9er 02-Feb-16
Straight Shooter 03-Feb-16
Mule Power 03-Feb-16
Birdman 03-Feb-16
Topgun 30-06 03-Feb-16
02-Feb-16
I've been putting in for preference points , i have 4 . A friend of mine knows the area well , we were thinking of hunting out of battle park campground with our mules. wondering how many points it takes to draw archery elk tag and if the unit is a good choice. Thanks.

02-Feb-16

Mule Power's Link
See the link to draw odds. Odds are changing as we speak but last year you needed 7 points to guarantee it in the special draw and 8 to guarantee the regular license.

02-Feb-16
Point creep .....I put in for 45 type 9 with 8ppt and went special tag. Even that I'm little nervous

02-Feb-16
There's roughly 3/4 of a point of creep per year in the regular and special draw for 45-9.

If that trend continues, it'll take you 12-16 years to draw in the regular draw and 8-12 years to draw in the special draw.

02-Feb-16
I'm in as well with 9 points but went the type 1 tag. First part of sept was already booked so I figured type 1 might give me an extra chance if needed.

03-Feb-16
You have to factor out people that are drawing in that unit and some people jumping to different units. If you are at 4 (in the special draw) and there are 58 people with < or = to 6, it would take 7 years for everyone to "draw out. This is if everyone kept with the same units and nobody else jumped in. This will definitely change, could be more could be less but won't take anywhere near 12 years in the special if you are at 4. You should put in next year, you still may be lucky enough to get the random tag!!

Good luck,

DJ

03-Feb-16
People jumping units is what makes things harder to predict. I need 3 points to have had a 100% chance last year. BUT... there were only 17 tags issued and there were like 40 applicants that had 2 points and didn't draw. If they all have 3 this year and apply for the same unit the odds could really drop. So I'm hoping that some of them pick a different unit because they have more points/options.

It will be interesting to see the 2016 draw odds when they are published. In the meantime... come on February 25th!!!

03-Feb-16
Thanks , but no one really answered my question about battle creek area, sounds like it's safe to say 45 is a pretty good area to hunt , well the good thing is if i hold out for 45 i'll probably be retired by then. So i could stay till i get a bull or the season ends, yahoo !

03-Feb-16
I've been up in 45 helping friends on Type 9 tags the last two years in September. The Battle Park Campground is a big staging area for people hunting on foot, as well as a lot of people that trailer horses and mules up there to hunt off of. 45 is a big unit and if you hunt the first two weeks before the type 1 tags can hunt on an archery permit there is not nearly the human traffic as there is the latter half of September and during the rifle season in October. As others have stated, if you only have 4 PPs, it will be hard to draw a tag for quite a while unless you really get lucky in the random draw. We always hunt the southeast section of the unit on both sides of the highway near Meadowlark Lake and there is a lot less hunters, but plenty of elk.

• Sitka Gear