'Ike' (Phone) 07-Feb-16
wyobullshooter 08-Feb-16
wyobullshooter 08-Feb-16
jims 08-Feb-16
ElkNut1 08-Feb-16
'Ike' (Phone) 08-Feb-16
willliamtell 09-Feb-16
07-Feb-16
Curious if any of the two, affect your decision to apply or not?

07-Feb-16
No. I prefer the last week in September because it always seems to be the peak of the rut here in AZ, but I won't just "not apply" because the season is 5-7 days earlier. Sometimes an earlier season can work out as far as more predictable movement patterns are concerned. The moon is the same way to me. Full moons typically mean earlier bed times for elk in the morning and sometimes later wake ups in the afternoon. But, they also tend to bring more mid day activity and higher rut intensity. All things to consider for sure.

07-Feb-16
never

07-Feb-16
I prefer looking at dates over moon phases when scheduling our hunts. The various moon phases rarely come into play in our decision making. If time has to be set aside for our hunts I choose from Sept 12th & on, this is when rutting elk start to really pick up. We want bulls cowed up & this generally takes place from the 12th on.

ElkNut1

07-Feb-16
Never

07-Feb-16
Never

07-Feb-16
I always look at moon phase when applying for tags but when drawn tend to hunt hard no matter what the moon and other conditions. I had a super tough Utah hunt a few years ago. It was 80 degrees every day, full moon, and 0 clouds. The elk tended to only be out super early in the morning and late in the evening...doing a lot of rutting at night. My buddy drew the same tag the following year with cooler temps, no moon, and afternoon rain showers. Elk were out all day long on his hunt.

With that said, I had a premium Wyo elk tag a couple years ago. There was a full moon with cooler weather and I couldn't make rhyme nor reason for when the elk were active. The only factor on that hunt that kept them from rutting during daylight hours was high winds (which it blew a lot 20 to 50+ mph). I have a feeling moon phase may not matter as much at 10,000' or areas that tend to have cooler conditions. If I had accumulated a bunch of pref pts and was hunting desert elk country I would likely pick a year with no moon. At least you would be putting one factor in your favor for a once in a lifetime tag. If it's a tag you can draw regularly or hunting high alpine country where it is cool the moon phase may not matter as much.

07-Feb-16
I always look at moon phase when applying for tags but when drawn tend to hunt hard no matter what the moon and other conditions. I had a super tough Utah hunt a few years ago. It was 80 degrees every day, full moon, and 0 clouds. The elk tended to only be out super early in the morning and late in the evening...doing a lot of rutting at night. My buddy drew the same tag the following year with cooler temps, no moon, and afternoon rain showers. Elk were out all day long on his hunt.

With that said, I had a premium Wyo elk tag a couple years ago. There was a full moon with cooler weather and I couldn't make rhyme nor reason for when the elk were active. The only factor on that hunt that kept them from rutting during daylight hours was high winds (which it blew a lot 20 to 50+ mph). I have a feeling moon phase may not matter as much at 10,000' or areas that tend to have cooler conditions. If I had accumulated a bunch of pref pts and was hunting desert elk country I would likely pick a year with no moon. At least you would be putting one factor in your favor for a once in a lifetime tag. If it's a tag you can draw regularly or hunting high alpine country where it is cool the moon phase may not matter as much.

07-Feb-16

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Utah for me had to do with dates...When it ends on the 11th, no bueno...

I also had a full moon, but the monsoons were in full effect...Just had to adapt!

07-Feb-16
I just don't understand why people get all spun over the full moon thing. Yes the elk may bed down a lot earlier in the day but you can also have some awesome hunting in the middle of the day.

I killed a bull this last fall on the 29th of august, man the moon was big. It was a desert type unit,didn't seem to effect the elk at all.

But then again i prefer to hunt desert type units, i can cover much more ground with my optics than i can with my feet.

07-Feb-16
It's mainly that hunters feel since there's a Full Moon that elk do most of their rutting activity after dark. They also feel that elk will feed & carry on with their normal activities after dark in the light of the Full Moon!

Many hunters have a difficult time getting into & killing elk without the Full Moon, so enter a Full Moon phase into the equation & they really feel their chances minimize immensely at killing an elk!

It's this way because this is what much of the reasoning is throughout many hunting sites! Of course you & I know elk are still very huntable during this phase but it's tough to convince others who have doubts that they still can be successful at that time & many come from out of state & do not want to take a chance if their odds lessen.

ElkNut1

07-Feb-16
I know some that won't apply because of it, the moon and even dates for that matter...

08-Feb-16
Ike, that's certainly their choice. Of course, those are the same people that will use the full moon as an excuse why they were unsuccessful if they did go.

Some people use it as an excuse. Others consider it just another opportunity. I don't think I need to say which group are those that are consistently successful.

08-Feb-16
Double post.

08-Feb-16
Doesn't make sense to me that elk would want to be very active in 80+ degree heat mid day whether there is 0 moon or full moon. If you were a bull and it was 80 degrees out do you think you would want to do much running around (rutting) out in the heat for any extended period of time during mid day or would you likely wait for things to cool down after dark?

A lot of guys hunt elk at 8,000 to 10,000+ elevation where it obviously is cooler during the day so it likely doesn't matter as much. I've spend days upon days sitting and waiting in the desert for elk to be active in extreme heat and it isn't any fun! Full moon plus heat during the day definitely is a boring combo when hunting desert country. Add a cool breeze and afternoon rainshowers that are often common at higher elevation and there is a BIG difference in activity!

If I draw a tag and have a choice of hunting dates I usually play the weather by ear. If it's a full moon plus super hot/dry I may delay. Makes sense to go when the elk will likely be more active. Some guys say it's almost entirely based on photo-period...which I will agree to disagree on when hunting desert country elk!

08-Feb-16
Yes, jims, it's fairly common in most elk hunting states in Sept to be in the 70-80 degree range until later in the month. If hunting early & elk are not rutting much we will rely more on sitting trails to ambush elk. These trails will lead to destination spots such as water sources, bedding, feeding, natural mineral licks. All these destination areas have trails leading to & from them. We find the active ones & focus more on them! If wanting to do Blind Calling setups we will do this as well as we troll for elk! Don't discard glassing, seeing elk & executing a good ambush is also in the arsenal!

As the month progresses to the 12th & on we now focus more on run & gun as bulls are more apt to sound off on their own or in response to our bugles! There's those same chances a vocal bull can be had before the 12th so we will adapt & hunt accordingly. When Full Moon & rut collide, look out bulls, they will hit the dirt! (grin)

ElkNut1

08-Feb-16
^^^

That's good stuff rig there Paul...Thanks!

09-Feb-16
Tricky year. Going to have to consult with some of my lunatic buddies on moonrise/set.

• Sitka Gear