greg simon 08-Feb-16
Huntcell 08-Feb-16
IdyllwildArcher 08-Feb-16
wildwilderness 09-Feb-16
5575 09-Feb-16
Straight Shooter 09-Feb-16
08-Feb-16
Not many options.

Most other Western States require youth to turn 12 yrs old the year they apply.

Alaska is 10 yrs to hunt but no bonus points yet!

Utah requires 14 yrs for LE and OIL points, with no youth discount.

Colorado does have a lower youth rate for tags and license.

08-Feb-16
Scoot, Montana used to have a reduced price youth tag. Not sure what happened to that when they jumped the license fees a few years back.

08-Feb-16
California has youth hunts for all 3 species. They're some really good tags too.

08-Feb-16
Scoot,

I believe you can apply in WY for your son as long as he turns 12 in the same calendar year.

Good Luck,

DJ

08-Feb-16
Straight Shooter is right. My son will be 12 in October. I will start buying points in Wyoming for him this year.

08-Feb-16
Check out youth sheep hunts far better draw odds than adults!

New Mexico comes to mind.

08-Feb-16
No, they're any weapon.

The junior lic is only 12 bucks, but I don't know if it's 12 bucks for NRs. You'd need to contact DFG. The other thing to ask, since you have to front the $ for the deer tag to apply, is if you get the money back if you don't draw. I dont know that either.

The other unfortunate thing, is that only 1 NR elk tag is given out so probably not going to happen.

There's a couple of really good junior deer tags. 30-80% success rates and a few are in really nice trophy areas. Better odds of drawing after 3 yrs of points.

The 4 units that have junior pronghorn hunts are all really good hunts. 100% success typicaly. You'll have terrible odds (1:100ish) till he has 3 or 4 points.

I would call DFG and get the skinny on NR juniors because I haven't looked into it for NRs.

Most of these hunts are in Central and Northern Cal, FYI.

09-Feb-16
Does your son turn 12 in 2016?

It's confusing to me with sayin NEXT Nov vs THIS Nov. if he does than as far as I know all western states minus Utah as mentioned above can start getting points

Colorado does offer reduced youth prices for ALL seasons including archery :) it's about $100 for NR youth elk vs about $600 adult NR. Haven't checked the deer or pronghorn price for NR youth but it's discounted. The preference point still cost the same I think but you still need to send full money up front even for a point only.

09-Feb-16
If you want to have him hunt muleys go to Neb! NR kids only cost like $10!!

09-Feb-16
Scoot. you're welcome, just don't plan on using those points the same year as I do!!! Lol

Good luck,

DJ

• Sitka Gear