Azslocker 06-Apr-16
Hoot 06-Apr-16
Rocking R 07-Apr-16
Rocking R 07-Apr-16
leo17 07-Apr-16
Rocking R 07-Apr-16
28-Mar-16

Rocking R's Link
I have two spots that just became available for our middle archery hunt. Two Hunters had to cancel due to a business conflict.

Dates are Sept. 10-14.

Tags are Over the Counter and either sex.

**Also, now is a good time to announce that we have added 2500 acres of prime elk, deer, and bear ground this year. I am extremely excited to add this to our operation since this ranch has a long history of being highly productive.

Please call, email, or PM if interested.

As always, thanks Bowsiters for the continued support!

Dan Reardon

Rocking R Outfitters

www.rockingrhunting.com

970-729-2571

28-Mar-16
Call or pm me for a referral also. I'm going back with my lady Jeannine this year. I shot the 10th elk I saw on the day, this very week offered. Every single day at the lodge, Dan will entertain you watching elk from the deck the lodge. Watching elk up on the mountains that we'll be going after that afternoon was a very new experience to me last year. I can't wait.

28-Mar-16
Dan: So what does your hunt able acreage total now?

28-Mar-16
Charlie,

Depends on the season. At least 8,000 acres during a given hunt. Some hunts we have more.

Plus, we are permitted for two different National Forest areas which gives us many square miles of additional elk habitat.

We have lots of ground to find elk!

Should be a great fall!

28-Mar-16
How many hunters do you take annually?

28-Mar-16
We typically take 40-50 hunters each year. Thanks.

28-Mar-16
Wow. Success rate overall?

29-Mar-16
I am booked for the last archery hunt in September and can't wait!

Steveb

29-Mar-16
Success rate in 2014 was 77%. Success rate in 2015 was 70%.

Thanks for the interest so far!

29-Mar-16
So 28-35 hunters took home an elk? What exactly do you call success? A shot, or an elk in the cooler?

29-Mar-16
You won't find a better elk hunt in Colorado! Don't matter who takes home what and who don't!

29-Mar-16
SDHNTR - I hope your interest is sincere. I would really like to keep this thread positive. Therefore, I will openly answer your question.

To answer your question - my statistics are based on shots taken. Shots that should easily kill an animal. I feel that we did our job when a hunter takes an ethical shot at an animal that he or she is wishing to harvest.

During this exact hunt last year, we took 9 hunters, including our Wounded Warrior. Two hunters out of 9 did not release an arrow. One hunter took two shots at different elk. One hunter released 5 different arrows and did not take home an elk. The other hunters took one shot each. Therefore, we had 12 shots for 9 hunters.

I am trying to be as honest and open as I can. I hope this answers your inquiry.

Thank you.

29-Mar-16
Yep, that makes sense, just looking for clarification. Some outfitters have different ideas of what success means. Yours is perfectly understandable.

29-Mar-16
How do you count if the Hunter shoots the same elk 3 or 4 times?;)

29-Mar-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Ha Ha Forest! You call it a Very Dead Elk:)

29-Mar-16
Forest, thanks for the kind words regarding our hunts.

By the way, that flat is forever named "Porcupine Flat"! LOL.

30-Mar-16
Nice!

30-Mar-16
Top of the line hunt. Dan and his crew do it right in every aspect.

30-Mar-16
I actually sat in the Porcupine Stand one evening and saw 6 elk with 5 of them headed towards buckfevered.

30-Mar-16
Good explanation Rocking R. Way to set things straight. Sounds like a business you can be and area very proud of. Way to go....Scott

30-Mar-16
Had a great hunt with Dan and his crew last season. Top-notch outfit!

31-Mar-16
I thought I would answer a question on this thread that I am getting from a lot of potential hunters. I am frequently asked if we mostly hunt elk from stands or if we spot and stalk.

We mostly spot and stalk for elk. We chase bugles and spot and stalk bulls during our archery hunts. This provides a lot of excitement and also gives us the flexibility to continually move and adapt to changing wind and changing elk behavior.

However, we do have many stands and blinds on our properties. Therefore, if the weather or conditions dictate, sometimes we will utilize these stands. However, we spot and stalk more than we sit.

Also, we frequently have hunters request to sit for a morning or evening hunt depending on how they are feeling after a few days of hunting. This often helps them rest up while giving them a very good opportunity to kill a bull from a strategically located stand. We will call from these stands to attract elk to our location.

Hopefully that helps paint a picture of what to expect on your elk hunt.

Thanks.

06-Apr-16
Thanks for all of the inquiries.

This hunt is still available!

06-Apr-16
PM Sent

06-Apr-16
Dan, do you hunt public land only or do you have private leases available as well? If so what is the ratio and what determines where you focus your hunting? Thanks!

06-Apr-16
We hunt a lot of private ground. Some owned, and a lot that is leased. We have a permit to guide on two different large sections of National Forest as well. Each section covers many square miles.

We choose which areas to hunt based on a lot of factors. Some of which are wind, elk density, location of bigger bulls, hunting pressure, and presence of cattle. Also, some forest areas we like to hunt early in the season. Some forest areas we like to target later in the season.

Our bread and butter is the private ground because we can manage the hunting pressure more that the National Forest.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

06-Apr-16
Just emailed you

06-Apr-16
I wish I could go on this hunt again, maybe in a year or two! Hope everyone has a great hunt this year...

07-Apr-16
Hoot - looking forward to hunting with you again!

07-Apr-16

Rocking R's Link
This hunt has been filled. Thanks again everyone for the inquiries.

Remaining hunts for 2016:

Early Archery - 2 spots available ***A few responders on this thread have been on the early hunt. We have a good success rate for early archery.

2nd Rifle - 3 spots available

That's it for 2016.

07-Apr-16
what are the early dates?

07-Apr-16
Early Hunt is Aug. 27-31. Opening 5 days of the season.

Thanks.

• Sitka Gear