Rocky D 11-Apr-16
freshta 11-Apr-16
freshta 11-Apr-16
Rocky D 12-Apr-16
Glunt@work 12-Apr-16
JLS 12-Apr-16
GotBowAz 12-Apr-16
06-Apr-16
I was shown this trick while moose hunting. A buddy was in the military. He said that they carried obscene loads in the gulf. This is how he put on his pack.

This week, i was turkey hunting. I could not get my pack on (i definitely pack too much stuff). So, i tried the flip and it worked great.

Does anyone else use this method?

I do take it off normal. I don't bend over like this kid.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwiX15bRvvvLAhWGzoMKHaXyAuIQtwIIITAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6Ty9Jhg1H9c&usg=AFQjCNEtblUrTzqvs0arnbozrois4q4F8A&sig2=t94mZh5HWLonFbOnnAtuSQ

06-Apr-16
When I was in the fire service that was the way we donned air pacs.

06-Apr-16
I was a scout in the army and lived out of my ruck often, this is how I always load heavy packs...

Some people will criticize it saying it can cause injury but I feel it is a stronger more stable way to mount a ruck, and its much easier than the lay down on the pack and roll over to your hands and knees method...

06-Apr-16
What kind of weight are you talking? I could see the momentum carrying you straight on your butt when using extreme weight.

07-Apr-16
I am not sure I could do that with 100# while I know I can lift that weight to my knee and slide into the shoulder straps.

07-Apr-16
My problem is that my shoulders have issues. It is hard for me to bend my arms far enough back to get in the second shoulder strap.

And with my turkey pack, i have a blind strapped on. So the pack is really long. If i rest is on my knee, the straps are too high.

The flip method solved both of those issues. Frankly, i was surprised at how well it worked.

07-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
Here's an easier way to get to that link:

I have seen it done, but never used it. But like others have said, with a heavy pack you might have issues trying that.

I always use a rock or stump to get mine on when it weighs over 50 lbs. Never had issues doing it that way.

07-Apr-16
I too am curious what kind of weight you are talking about? There's no way I could throw a "heavy" pack around like a rag doll like in the link. Looks like a good way to put a lot of extra stress on your straps too.

07-Apr-16
I don't think that is going to work with a moose or elk quarter in your pack.

07-Apr-16
i call that the hernia flip.

07-Apr-16
Don't think I'd even try that, especially on uneven ground. I can see myself ending up on the ground. Finding a log, stump or using razor heads idea is much more my style.

07-Apr-16
When I was in college, I guided canoe trips in Ontario and Manitoba. This is the only way we'd load up heavy packs for a portage.

07-Apr-16
With a truely heavy load I can let flip it over my head.

I've tone it with an scab bottle at work but with a real heavy pick. No thanks!

07-Apr-16
Nah

I put the pack on a log / stump / mound of dirt...go to my knees...put arms in straps...gently slide the load onto my back while I come forward to all fours...so I look like a "loaded horse". Adjust straps on shoulders, bring one knee up, and then slowly stand.

That's just my way ;)

07-Apr-16
Hey I slipped and rolled with a heavy pack on....can I call that the "Beendare Dismount"?

if that kid has back problems its for the reasons Blood above mentioned....

07-Apr-16
I lay my pack on the ground, straps up, then wiggle into it while laying on my back on top of it. Then my buddies laugh while I thrash around on the ground like a stuck turtle until I can eventually roll over and get to my hands and knees before standing up. I haven't hurt myself yet and they always think its hilarious. I'll probably have to change my approach as I get older though...

07-Apr-16
That's how I used to put my BC with scuba tank on back when I dived.

Carl

07-Apr-16
With a truely heavy load I can let flip it over my head.

I've tone it with an scab bottle at work but with a real heavy pick. No thanks!

07-Apr-16
I was an RTO in an airborne unit. This is exactly how we put our rucks on every time. Funny thing is, I haven't done it more than once or twice since ETS'ing. Go figure...

Tony

07-Apr-16
My hunting buddies would absolutely love to see me do this on the side of a mountain. Good chance I'd beat them to the bottom!

07-Apr-16
Nope. I can't lift elk quarters over my head like this kid lifts his pack filled with cheeto puffs. I'll stick to the roll-over-on-my-side maneuver followed by the slowly-kill-myself-down-the-mountain suffer fest.

08-Apr-16
Learned this technique in the Army with 100+ packs!! Still use it today!! People think it's pretty neat!!

08-Apr-16
Neat trick for sure but 90% of the hunters out there could not perform it with 100# without injury of sorts! Not recommended, there are safer ways to secure pack on your back!

ElkNut1

08-Apr-16
24 years and done this more times than I care to remember.

Heavyweight loads is exactly that so that 135lb moose quater is more than a flip over the head.

I have had some grueling humps and have learned to use terrain and large muscle groups to manage really heavy loads.

My last heavy load was 85lbs for 9 miles at age 56. There always anomalies but there max is there max whether it is 50 or 150.

Use what works for you but age will make you pay for every load never the less the heavy but the ones that torqued and tweaked will renid us often that our limit had been met.

09-Apr-16
I've done the flip more than once with a moose quarter & never had a problem. Much easier than sitting down strapping on the pack & trying to rollover to stand up!!

10-Apr-16
X1 Maverick!

10-Apr-16
X2 Mav.

10-Apr-16
Bloodtrail, young and dumb. I learned that trick in scouts. An in the military. Back then, I could get between 120-130. The best thing to remember is to keep one foot back to brace yourself. Because you can and will fall on your back. Right now, at 59, I can get 90 lbs. and do a 2 mile hike. Did it with the scout a couple weeks ago on a campout. in snow and cold. Oh, thank you ADVIL.

10-Apr-16
I've done more humping with 80#s or more than I care to think of. I don't think I could do it at my age now but NOW I slip 1 arm through & bend over some & slide the pack up to my upper back, neck & slip my arm through. Works great..

11-Apr-16
One thing nobody seems to consider is your body type. What is good for a 250 lb linebacker type is not necessarily good for a 150 lb distance runner type.

Also, the bigger you are(frame-wise), the more you should be able to handle safely/comfortably, all other things being equal. So someone that has a slight frame and is much lighter will have significantly more trouble than someone with a large frame and is much heavier. Example: 5'6" 150 lb marathoner compared to a 6'2" 250 lb linebacker. Put a 90 lb pack on each one and see who has an easier time.

11-Apr-16
In my world everybody carries the same shit!

This week just out my front door the best ranger competition everyone will carry the same load.

Same thing with SFAS, the walk in thew mountains you name it.

Also, I would bet most have not ever crawled under a 150lb pack. If it was a moose quarter you better believe that distance was calculated before the shot. Probably the heaviest load that I have been under is a brown bear hide while walking on snow shoes. believe me you do not want to do this.

Typically the bigger bodies have not been the longest, heaviest, or the fastest.

I have traveled far and wide in the army and never did I see a 100lb pack. I spent nine years in Alaska and would consider the winter ruck about the heaviest especially prior to 1980 and the movement toward lighter materials.

I am still amazed at people trying to give kudos to the the lift & flip for really heavy loads.

I know that you will not see any Sherpa on Mt Everest doing the lift & flip.

11-Apr-16
11C1B jumping with the mortar base? No idea what the weight was, but I know they suffer through hooking up and shuffling out the door. Of course I never saw one flip one over his head either....

11-Apr-16
Oops that was supposed to be 11c1p.

12-Apr-16
Freshta 29lbs

12-Apr-16
I was shown this when I was a kid by a guy that would put on his double scuba tanks this way. I have used it but the pack comes up to the chest with leg power and then over the top with arms and shoulder power in a smoother motion than the video. Heavy packs stink and theres no secret trick to making them easy to put on or carry. I try and carry lighter packs and make an extra trip.

The less dramatic way to load a heavy pack for me is to bend the knees, lift the pack up on to my right knee with straps facing you, slip my right arm through the strap and kind of lift the pack with my knee as I swing it to my back. Then put my left arm in.

12-Apr-16
I think that I am fairly strong and in fairly good shape.

I'll continue with my tried and true method of sitting down, buckling up, getting my feet under me, and squatting upward.

12-Apr-16
If I could lift 100 lbs and flip in over my head im sure I could do so with the normal method of putting on a heavy pack.

However I just dont think I could get the inertial even started much less over me head with 100 pounds. and my luck, I d miss the straps, or they would break and blowout my legs from a 100 pound 6 foot free fall!

It does look cool thought. So do the dirt bike guys flipping backwards over dirt ramps. No way.

• Sitka Gear