ohiohunter 15-Apr-16
Cheesehead Mike 15-Apr-16
Big John 15-Apr-16
ohiohunter 15-Apr-16
Cheesehead Mike 15-Apr-16
ohiohunter 15-Apr-16
Alphamax35 15-Apr-16
09-Apr-16
Decided to try these boots for 2016. REI couldn't order them so I've been looking for a sale.

$295.96 on Campsaver and "APR16-CPN" for another 10% off brought them down to $266.36.

11-Apr-16
Have you gotten your feet into'm yet? I've run into a problem w/ my beloved renegades. My foot got a little too wide for the regular width, so picked up some wides. Well the heel is too wide now. I basically have a wide foot w/ a narrow heel. Maybe my feet are just a touch swoll. Probably should stop doing toe curls :D

11-Apr-16
Thanks for posting WapitiBob, I'm thinking about buying some. I bought a pair off of eBay several years ago and I really liked them but they were too narrow so I returned them.

I have the same issue as you ohiohunter, I have a narrow heel, high instep and a wide forefoot. I guess it's what they call a low-volume wide foot. The Hanwags are available in wide and their video says that only the front part of the boot is wide and the heel is the same width as the D width boot.

14-Apr-16
Thanks for the post on the deal. I'm in the market for a new pair of boots this year. Let us know how they fit when you try them on. Thanks again and best of luck this fall.

14-Apr-16
I ordered some in 11 wide which is the same size Lowa Tibets I wear. They should be here Monday.

14-Apr-16
Got them yesterday and put them on last night. They are true to size for me (13), length wise. I have noticed the actual boot volume to be less than the Lowa Cevedale Pro's I had last year. The Hanwag toe box seems a twitch narrower and not as tall as the Cevedale as well.

With my hunting socks on and the Dr Sholes "athletic" gel inserts I used in the Lowa last year, the top of my foot hits hard enough I can feel the tendon from my big toe rolling on the top of my foot every time I move that toe or take a step. Using the factory foot bed, that doesn't happen. A friend who recently bought the Alaska's had volume issues with that same foot bed. He went to the Lathrop foot bed and had sufficient volume inside the boot. I will say, when I put on the boot and just a thin sock and factory foot bed, I thought the boot was going to be too big. I was swimming in it.

When I had Lowa renegades, I bought wides. These Alaska's are regular width, no tight spots on the sides.

I use a thin poly liner sock and REI "medium weight" merino socks for hunting to give you some perspective.

14-Apr-16
Thx for the report

15-Apr-16
Gracias, when I trip to abq to return my wide renegades I'm gonna put my feet in some hanwags.

How stiff are the alaska's? Do they feel like they need some real break in time or are they like the renegades where you can buy them the day of your trip?

15-Apr-16
ohiohunter,

I have both Renegade wide and Tibet wide I've owned Tibet regular width but sold them because the forefoot was too narrow for me. I also tried some Alaska's in regular width a few years back but they were too narrow too.

I believe that the Alaska's are more like the Tibet's than the Renegades. They're more of a hardcore backpacking boot than the Renegade.

I'll be able to do a comparison when my Alaska's arrive on Monday.

15-Apr-16
Just ordered a pair,

Thanks Bob

15-Apr-16
CHM, thanks. I like the softer soles of the renegades for stalking.

Do you know which hanwag would be most comparable to the renegade?

15-Apr-16
Ohio,

I agree, the Renegades are better for hunting and I have packed some fairly decent loads while wearing them but they don't have the support that the Tibets have for extended heavy packing.

No, sorry I'm not that familiar with the Hanwag line...

15-Apr-16
I know, I think my back will give out before I truly need boardlike soles, I've had kenetreks and I still have some lowa rangers w/ a little stiffer sole than the renegades.

15-Apr-16
Mike, How would you equate the Alaskans to Mendals Denali or Cabela's Perfekt Hunter?

• Sitka Gear