78cj5 12-Apr-16
swede 12-Apr-16
Jaquomo 12-Apr-16
Toby 12-Apr-16
ElkNut1 12-Apr-16
Mule Power 12-Apr-16
Royboy 13-Apr-16
12-Apr-16
How far will elk bed from water, I know there are a lot of variables but, in general are they going to bed a short distance from a water supply so they can catch a drink mid day?

12-Apr-16
I would say it depends more on the terrain and water availability. Too many variables to generalize.

12-Apr-16
As mentioned there are variables, but I place many of my tree stands at springs near bedding areas. Sometimes they are within the general bedding area, but most often they are just real close. I have watched as elk travel over a mile to water, but if you want to wait at a water hole for elk, find one that is close to the bedding grounds. Look it over good. If it is getting lots of use, you are at a great place to hang a stand.

12-Apr-16
There are often little hidden springs in or near the bedding timber. They'll get up and wander over to them. I look for those on small benches. Found a great one last year in the timber that comes out of the ground, flows for about 30 yards, then goes back underground again.

Other times, like Swede mentioned, they have no problem going a mile or more. One place I know, they bed just below the Continental Divide, but graze their way through the transition and all the way down to water in the creek by the highway, in the sagebrush, after dark.

12-Apr-16
Would it be safe to assume that elk water at least once each day after initially bedding?

12-Apr-16
Have seen elk bed right next to a water source. In general in the 5 states I've hunted elk in timber country where finding water wasn't an issue elk will bed within a 1/2 mile of some spring or water. Some of these pockets come right up out of the earth. Elk know where all sources in their areas are.

Yes, that's a fairly safe assumption! Finding that watering spot is the key! (grin)

ElkNut1

12-Apr-16
To be honest in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho I don't think I've ever hunted where there was more than a mile between several different water sources so it's been a non-issue for me.

The only exception would be some above timberline areas in Wyoming. There you'll find some nice mulies up high but the elk are mostly a little lower where water is readily available.

Like Elknut I have seen elk bed right in a creek bed on hot days. Not only is there water but it's the coolest air around.

13-Apr-16
Trying to find water for our campsite we walked down a dry creek until the water came to the surface but only lasted about 30 yards before going underground again. Then in the morning here came the elk while we are still in our sleeping bags. They probably were headed to bed which was within a quarter mile of the water. Oh almost forgot no dead elk.

• Sitka Gear