406elkchasr 17-Apr-16
jeck66 18-Apr-16
406elkchasr 18-Apr-16
Grubby 17-May-16
LINK 17-May-16
willliamtell 17-May-16
Grubby 17-May-16
12-Apr-16
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE A EASY HOMEMADE ELK TARGET?

12-Apr-16
Try checking out this video. It is for a realistic 2D target. I built one a few years ago and it still looks like new. If I remember correctly, I used supplies that I already had in my garage and spent maybe $50. To be honest, I like it better than the $1200 3D targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oko97cqwqw

Here are the measurements that I used: Nose - Tail 8' Hump - Brisket 30" Shoulder Height 57" Nose Tip - Eye 12" Nose Tip - Antler Burr 16" I tried to cut the vitals out in a realistic shape but I made them bigger than the 15" x 16" of actual vitals. My "window" is the correct shape but more like 22". Cabelas makes a Magnum target bag that measures 25"x25" and works good for the backstop. I made my target mobile and screwed/glued 2" pvc on the backside and dropped it over T-posts. I think the easiest and best way to make a permanent target would be to sink 2 wooden posts in the ground and then screw the target directly to the posts. Doing this, you could suspend the target bag from the top of the posts and not have to build a table for the bag to rest on. I also spray paint the target bag the color of the elk. The plastic burlap of the target bag paints up easily. To make it last longer, I used exterior latex primer and paint on the plywood before I spray painted it. (2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint.)

12-Apr-16

High Country's embedded Photo
You can use this grid to speed things up. When you print it up, change your printer settings to 103%.

12-Apr-16

Here's a picture of the finished product.

12-Apr-16

High Country's Link
Here is a link to my original post. You can see more pictures and will probably have better luck copying the "grids". Hope this helps.

12-Apr-16

nvgoat's embedded Photo
nvgoat's embedded Photo
I made one similar to this but with a couple modifications.

First, I made the hole square and bigger to allow more leeway on long shots in case I made a bad shot. (Arrows are expensive). Bag target behind is perfect.

Second, I covered the hole with burlap using a staple gun. Just paint the burlap when you paint the target. Burlap looks good and lasts a long time. Eventually you can simply replace the burlap.

12-Apr-16
I did the same as nvgoat, just not as nice. I put burlap over my neon green bag target, and spray painted the shoulder crease as he did. Ta-dah! I like to practice like I hunt; I have yet to see an elk with brightly colored rings over his vitals.

13-Apr-16
Those are pretty cool looking elk targets you guys made!

Thanks for sharing and for the visual idea------>

Good luck, Robb

13-Apr-16

brunse's embedded Photo
brunse's embedded Photo
http://bowsite.com/mobile/forums/thread.cfm?threadid=397459&messages=22&forum=5

I made this one years ago. I replace the center kill zone with a 12x18 cheap layered target, cover it again with white duct tape and paint again. Works great

13-Apr-16

brunse's embedded Photo
brunse's embedded Photo
repair job

13-Apr-16
nice.... they look really good and simple to make!!!!

13-Apr-16

brunse's embedded Photo
brunse's embedded Photo
another repair job

13-Apr-16
Not homemade but check these out.

www.bigskyrealarcherytargets.com

13-Apr-16
Good looking targets guys.

13-Apr-16
looks like i know what I'm doing this weekend.. lol

13-Apr-16
look for an old used McKenzie from your local 3-D club

13-Apr-16
Great targets, thanks for posting guys!

13-Apr-16
Has anyone tried the Big Sky Real Archery Targets that BR Stinger posted?

Those look pretty cool. I am wondering how durable they actually are... I have always wanted a 3D elk target, but will not pay $1,500 for one. For $300 I could have a nice looking target... any thoughts on how these work?

15-Apr-16
Last year I made moose profile target out of a $40 horse stall mat. A friend asked me to do the same thing for an elk and this is what I came up with.

Elk profile back half Elk Target Profile - Back Half photo ElkTargetProfileBackHalf_zpsc9x31zqh.jpg

Elk profile front half Elk Target Profile - Front Half photo ElkTargetProfileFrontHalf_zpstlmgxoxe.jpg

Plans for target stand (You can adjust height for elk size target) Moose Target Stand Plans photo Archery Target Stand Design Magazine Copy-1_zpse9cg8yqg.jpg

Optional clay bird holder Clay Bird Holder Plans photo Archery Target Stand Design Magazine Copy-3_zpswsk4eu75.jpg

Stand profile Target Stand Configurations photo Archery Target Stand Design Magazine Copy-4_zps7luvonqn.jpg

Actual stand  photo MooseTargetSmall_zpshfvu1pam.jpg

Darren

15-Apr-16
Very cool guys!

15-Apr-16
Agreed! Very cool targets & ideas! Thanks!

ElkNut1

15-Apr-16

Basinboy's embedded Photo
Basinboy's embedded Photo
YouTube has a video tutorial

16-Apr-16
Can I ask why? Just curious as to if you know how big the Elks vitals are then all you need is a target that size, I would think. Shawn

17-Apr-16
I have a Big Sky Archery target. I like it alot and its a great option compared to a $1500 3d elk target. It still needs to be used with a target. I have put several hundred arrows through mine and it is definitely due for a new vitals cover.

18-Apr-16
Thanks 406. Did you buy the frame kit or make one yourself? I figured I would just sink some wood posts in the ground and secure it to that. Let me know your thoughts on mounting. Thanks!

18-Apr-16
Because of time constraints I bought the frame kit. Besides the frame to mount the target to, you also have to have some way to secure/position a bag or block type target behind the elk. The frame breaks down and sets up easy to change shooting locations which is nice, plus when the elk cut out is not mounted to the target, you have a hanging taret stand.

17-May-16

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
Just got my target finished up a few days ago, turned out ok. Amazing how much different it is judging distance compared to a deer target.

17-May-16
Grubby your going to have to pass, that pine is blocking your shot.;) Looks good from a distance. How about a closer picture?

17-May-16
Haverstick, something tells me you are no neophyte to woodworking projects.

Some of those target "dekes", as homebuilt as they look I bet if they were of a female moose some lovelorn Bullwinkle would be trying to be her boyfriend ('hey you're kinda weird looking but you ain't running away')

I am inspired to do my own elk target. One less 'new' item to deal with in the elk woods.

17-May-16

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
Just like me, far from good!

• Sitka Gear