Mule Power 29-Apr-16
Mule Power 30-Apr-16
ELKMAN 30-Apr-16
Paul@thefort 30-Apr-16
Mule Power 30-Apr-16
Paul@thefort 01-May-16
idacurt 01-May-16
12-Apr-16
It's been awhile since I have updated my hunting clothing. What's everyone's favorite clothing pieces for September elk hunting in the lower 48? I'm good on baselayers, pants, and rain gear. Looking at different options for coats and potentially any mid-layers. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

12-Apr-16
If you have good base layer all you need is packable rain gear. Merino base, good rain gear and a packable puffy is what is most important for me. Don't forget good boots that fit.

12-Apr-16
What Rick said^^^^

Boots are your number one, two and three concern....

Have fun and enjoy your hunt!

Mark

12-Apr-16
I'll third the boots, and second good socks to aid them especially if you have wonky feet and spend several days in the same pair. Darn toughs are becoming my favourite even over my smartwools.

I got some kuiu alpine pants this year w/ the knee pads, really looking forward to not getting as beat up when I hit the ground. They also feel more pliable compared to my first lites which are full of patches. Man those things got shredded up namely the crotch! So unimpressed w/ those pants at their price point.

Where are you hunting? That can make a pretty big difference. Though one year it frosted on me in early sept in NM, I was in my hammock.

12-Apr-16
Only my shorts at the present time.

My wife wants to go along on my moose hunt this year so I had to purchase rain gear for her along with knee high rubber boots, socks, gloves and hat. The rest she will have to wear some of my extras. I have seen so many guides wear levis and just about everything that wasn't camo.

13-Apr-16
I always wear waterproof boots in the mornings just to keep the dew at bay. Then will be wearing first lite wool mid layers. A jacket usually only lasts a couple hours in the morning here in Oregon

13-Apr-16
I've only been elk hunting a few seasons but it didn't take long to figure out I like merino wool base layers and pants. A synthetic puffy is nice too. Lately as I need to replace my stuff, I've been going with the non-camo colors of the quality gear because it's cheaper and multi-purpose (hiking with the fam).

13-Apr-16
wool pants, wool shirts, wool socks and wool long johns... come to think of it maybe those damn mountain lions are pestering me because they think I am a sheep.hmm Boots are lowas, usually

13-Apr-16
Khaki's

13-Apr-16
sitO, you and Jake both

13-Apr-16
A good pair of boots and gaiters. Never thought I'd like gaiters until I tried them. Excellent in the snow and especially so far this spring with the dew in the mornings.

13-Apr-16

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
What ever the wife put on top of the dresser that morning.

13-Apr-16
I'm breaking my Kenetrek's in and I have good socks. Just looking to hear any particular garments from Sitka, Kuiu, FirstLite, etc., that people have been happy with.

13-Apr-16
I run the Sitka Ascent pants with their merino top and traverse top if cold. I carry a puffy if its really cold.

That with a good set of rain gear will get you through September in the mountains.

13-Apr-16
I thought this was a State Farm commercial. At the present time I am wearing filthy coveralls. I do this so I have the cash to sit in the woods wearing camo in the fall.

14-Apr-16

c3's Link
I've been kind of partial to whatever is on sale at www.camofire.com :)

Seriously though, I've picked up a bunch of stuff there in the mountain mimicry pattern for pretty amazing deals over the last 4 or 5 years.

The latest is a company called www.sylogear.com They make some pretty amazing stuff that comes up super cheap on camofire on a regular basis.

Their light weight rain gear is a particularly good deal for quality stuff relative to sitka or kuiu stuff.

In any case camofire is good place to keep an eye on if you a cheapskate with a fine wine taste like me.

Cheers, Pete

14-Apr-16
Firstlite base layers. KUIU pants

Mix of KUIU, Sitka, firstlite

14-Apr-16
My god man, just get out there and hunt.

Success in Bowhunting really isn’t a fashion contest nor does it make one bit of a difference what you wear.

As a Bowhunter, I find these kinds of threads embarrassing.

14-Apr-16
I guess both you guys above shoot bows and guns picked up at a garage sale or your local walmart? What above optics, you guys running low end binos and spotters?

Clothing is just gear, some is better than others. If its not your thing, fine, but why bash or make fun of a guy that wants top of the line clothing?

14-Apr-16
Back in the day, I was caught in more than one September mountain rainstorm while wearing cotton. No doubt in my mind, some things make a difference.

14-Apr-16
I agree with wyobullshooter - stay away from too much cotton.

Other than that, it is just cost and comfort. I don't believe the elk/deer pay much attention to whether you are wearing camo or not.

14-Apr-16
Dear MS Bowman,

Some things really do make a difference, like optics, your bow, arrows and more particularly your level of commitment to the hunt.

But you're right; I shouldn't hurt the feelings of those who spend more time and enjoy considering what they wear versus preparing for the hunt physically and mentally. I shouldn’t allow my frustration with such issues to get in the way. Rather than try to help these folks out with suggestions on what to focus on, I should simply stay quiet. I probably have way less to offer in the way of Bowhunting advise that may potentially contribute others future success than someone more focused on the latest clothing trends.

Apology to you and others.

Bob

14-Apr-16
By the way, I don't shoot guns.

14-Apr-16
"I probably have way less to offer in the way of Bowhunting advise"

Bob, I'll gladly take any advice you want to give, hell I'll even trade you a pair of Kuiu pants, only worn once! Ha!

14-Apr-16
Take the pants, Bob. They're pretty nice!

I'm a cheap old fart and recently sprang for some KUIU stuff. Great gear but I do chuckle at myself when I pass a mirror or truck window and I look like a greenhorn from one of the catalogs... it's a new day, I guess. :)

14-Apr-16
I went last year and I'm pretty sure I won't be giving a rats rear-end about anything except better rain gear! It was pretty wet and miserable. I'll just be bringing lots of layers because of the drastic temperature changes

14-Apr-16
To each his own on clothing. Just don't look and smell like you just stepped off a stetson commercial.

Last day of my hunt a guy (NR) stopped me to ask questions about his hunt starting the next day. Full camo, cowboy hat, clean shaven, and smelled like he spilled the aftershave in his lap. I couldn't get far enough away from him, talk about opening the sinuses.

If you've never worn high end gear you'll never know what you're missing, walmart cotton vs kuiu synthetics and first lite wool... night and day. Sure you can kill an elk w/ a 45lb bear whitetail and aluminum arrows, but I bet you shoot carbon arrows out of a slightly newer more "fashionable" bow. dang yuppies

14-Apr-16
Hey Bob, I've been here a long time and I know you have as well. I totally respect you and what you do. However, the guy simply said he hasn't updated his clothing in a long time and was wondering what others guys were running these days....... He didn't say he was a new hunter... He didn't mention a lack of commitment....He didn't ask for any advice on tactics, etc... He simply wanted some opinions on gear..

Clothing has become gear, plain and simple. Not everyone is into it. Is it the most important part of a hunt? Of course not... But it is gear none the less.

14-Apr-16
Bob and Maverick, would you say that hunting in AK is a little different than say CO as far as what's needed for camo? When you hunt the lower 48 do you wear camo?

I totally agree that there are much more important area's of concern, but not quite apples to apples in my opinion which means nuts ;)

14-Apr-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo

14-Apr-16

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Hey, I'm sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings.

If I could offer some honest advice, and you all can either heed it, or deposit it in the same receptacle most advice should be placed in from guys like me.

There is no need to spend big dollars on expensive clothing. Save those dollars.

You need two things regarding clothing to hunt in a harsh environment, and I probably hunt in a way harsher environment than most guys. You need a waterproof and windproof shell (Helly Hansen or Cabela's XPG raingear for me) and you need several layers of fleece or similar fabric that doesn’t absorb water. Personally, I buy my layers of fleece at either Wal-Mart or, when I'm in Arizona, Dollar General.

Regarding sitO's question about hunting places other than AK, I have been somewhat successful hunting Coues Deer in AZ over the past few years. I've killed B&C bucks in two of the last four years. The other years my bucks have just been P&Y. I wear non-Camo fleece I purchased at Dollar General. Doesn’t seem as though even those crafty desert ghosts mind if I don’t wear Camo high dollar gear.

What they do care about is movement. They see me move and I can forget about getting a shot.

14-Apr-16
Well that answers my question, thanks, and I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

14-Apr-16
I've hunted with Maverick. He's not lying about not wearing camouflage.

14-Apr-16
MS Bowhunter, with all due respect, you sound like a commercial. How on God's green earth is a jacket and pants "gear"? And if it is "gear", then how is a less pricey jacket or pants that fits well and functions well NOT "gear"? Any good quality, non-cotton, clothing that keeps you warm, dry and comfortable is perfect for doing a September elk hunt in the mountains. Heck, I even used some cotton stuff on my last elk hunt and was just fine.

Reflex, it isn't rocket science. I like to have good quality base layers that wick moisture away. After that get some decent camo jackets and pants. You can buy great fleece camo from several of the major sporting goods stores. The stuff I've bought on sale at Cabelas or Gander Mtn has lasted for many years. I personally like a fleece vest under a jacket in the morning, then the vest is perfect when things warm up during the day. Then make sure you have some good quality rain wear that is packable and will fit over your camo. There are lots of good camo options from cheap to Sitka expensive. Most of it will work just fine. You can literally spend as little or as much as you want.

I hunt in very cold weather in treestands in MN and I don't die from cold. This coming from a guy that gets major gut cramps if the piece of camo I buy is over $100. LOL. Good luck

14-Apr-16
There is at least a large portion of bowhunting that I mental. To be prepared is the most important thing...both physically and mentally. If you think sharpening your broadheads every week gives you an edge, I say do it. If you think shooting your bow 50 arrows a day gives you an edge...do it. If you think buying top of the line hunting clothes gives you an edge and you can afford it....do it.

Nothing replaces hunting skill, ability to read maps, find game and the ability to get an animal on the ground but IMHO doing things that you think may help you never hurts.

14-Apr-16
Hey Bob, Did you just have a picture of your wife out there completely outfitted in KUIU gear?

14-Apr-16
Yes, she wears the high dollar stuff. If you're married you know how that works.

Likewise, she buys her street clothes at Nordstrom. I buy my Wrangler jeans and cotton tee-shirts from Wal-Mart or more recently off of Amazon. She's a retired public employee living off the State of Alaska public retirement system, so she can afford the high dollar nonsense. I'm a self employed, still working at 60 libertarian, who always pays his own way. As a result, I pay attention to each dollar I spend and the value I receive for it. You get the difference don’t you?

14-Apr-16
I plan to be a walking, talking, elk killing Sitka Gear commercial! :)

>>>>-------->

14-Apr-16
x2 Bowfreak, if you don't feel good about something whether it be your bh, your boots, your undies there is always the air of doubt looming in your head. It can make or break some.

I've also been saved by my 3d jacket more than once. I've had deer stare me down then carry on esp when I have to hang lower in a tree than ideal. Id say with good camo you can get away with small movement depending on the situation but I can't imagine getting away with anything wearing a solid that boast a heavy contrast. Of course I'm suggesting an extreme but on the same token some camos can reduce getting skylined to the point of spooking game.

14-Apr-16
I wouldn't say the camo is 100% necessary. But if it's only 10% I'm still wearing it. Axis spot and stalk is right up there with the lil coues critters I think. And I need all the help I can get. I not only camo up, I go with a leafy jacket and facemask too. But to each their own. If it gives me even a little edge I'll take it.

The clothing itself however, not camo patterns but material and design.... I think much of the technical gear has many advantages, covers a wider range of conditions, less weight, bulk, more durable, athletic, comfortable, etc. Same as higher end camping gear can save weight and bulk, function. We have to fly everywhere with camp and gear. It all has to fit in two pieces of luggage (one of which is your bow case) and a carry on (usually my pack) The higher tech gear has made a big difference over the years for us.

I like fleece, have several pieces of it, layers great, dries fast, pretty versatile stuff. What pants are those Bob? Look synthetic? I know a good bit of the outdoor non-camo stuff in similar material is a bargain compared to after they paint camo on it...

14-Apr-16
You are really fooling yourself if you think Camo is going to allow you to get away with even slight movements. Prey animals are designed to see movement. They don’t see color well. Ever have a deer walk right up to you as long as you didn’t move? I’ve had them so close I could touch them, but if I moved, they wouldn’t do that.

I tend to wear synthetic for everything. I think those pants are from a company in Oregon that I don't recall the name of. I call then Mountain Pants, and that might even be correct, but I'm not sure. I do recall they are about 90% polypropylene and the rest spandex.

14-Apr-16
Hey guys, some of us have made choices in life that leave us relegated to an office life 90% of our life so that we can hopefully retire early, and then hunt 90% of the time lol. During that time all we do is dream and drool about hunting and all things related including technical clothing so that when we get out during our hard earned times during the year we enjoy it to the max.

Everybody makes different choices in where their money goes. So I don't buy coffees, do work myself, make my food from scratch and spend $100 on a pair of pants. My buddy spends less on his pants, but buys a couple $2 coffees every single day. At the end of the year, I feel like I'm ahead, but to each their own. He works for his money, likes his coffee, good on him. I don't think there is a single guy on this site that believes technical clothing is a NEED for killing animals. It's purely about wants and enjoyment.

14-Apr-16
I think you've omitted "depending on the situation". Hell no you're not getting away with anything as close as you described. At that range they can see your thoughts, but I'm not laying on the ground either.

I never mentioned color, I did however mention 3d camo. Camo is not designed to hide your movements it is to break up our outline. Contrary to your belief I've gotten away with movement plenty of times w/ deer in the vicinity, like standing up.

One thing I've learned is not everyone hunts the same game, nor do they always hunt w/ the same methods, but don't fool yourself to think your methods will 100% translate to another quarry.

14-Apr-16
"I don't think there is a single guy on this site that believes technical clothing is a NEED for killing animals."

I think there's a lot of guys on this site that are just outstanding hunters. They could go out in a blaze orange onesy and kill animals!

14-Apr-16
Sure does help in the comfort department too!

14-Apr-16

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
SitO stole mine....

14-Apr-16
Yea, she sounds hideous.

14-Apr-16
Now that hurt my feelings Ohio...I'm big boned but I've got a good personality.

14-Apr-16
What do you wear hunting? It depends. In rifle season I wear Blaze orange. In late bow season I wear blaze orange. In early bow season I normally wear camo.

My priorities are: Clean, If you reek your odds are compromised. Comfortable; If you itch and scratch or twitch and adjust you will be seen. Not blue or cotton. I believe that you are more visible to deer in blue jeans than blaze orange.

I like the break up patterns. I believe they make a person less visible at least to other humans.

In the old days I always wore wool. The red and black checkered was traditional in my neck of the woods. I do not like to wash my hunting clothes in detergent with brighteners. Soap is more to my liking. I have been entertained by the banter here but I wanted to give a serious reply.

14-Apr-16
Mine are usually clean to start out... the first half hour or so....then they stay dirty for a week or two... hunt the wind....

I've seen pics of Bob with dead critters, a big smile and day glo blue raingear on. I know he gets it done pretty regular no matter what he wears. Some guys are pure predator.

Our animals are hunted every day of the week all year round. I do believe my camo helps me, to whatever degree in whatever limited circumstances. These things spot anything out of place pretty quick.

And even if it was only psychological with the animals... two weeks ago I had a hunter walk by me while kneeling on the ground at 6 feet and never saw me. The buck across the gulch that was getting up and ready to move OTOH, he slipped back into the panini cactus and never came back out..... %&#@*&%....

15-Apr-16
Lee 88's and a Bob Fratzke camo sweater..

15-Apr-16
A kilt

15-Apr-16
My absolute favorite piece is my Kuiu Chinook jacket. Awesome light weight soft shell, with incredible pockets and fit. It's a wear and or carry everyday item that will get you through in almost any situation...

15-Apr-16
"Now that hurt my feelings Ohio...I'm big boned but I've got a good personality."

In that case find me when I'm buzzed... whooohooo

I bet you can build a mean ham sammich!

15-Apr-16
The longer I've hunted the less concerned I get about camo patern and the like. You want something to break up your outline in the brush, but stay in the shadows and concern yourself more with the wind and you'll do fine.

As far as camo clothing goes, I honestly buy whatever's cheap at Walmart on clearance. Realtree or Mossy Oak something or another. I like basic longjohns, and bring along various sweatshirts for extra layers. I don't worry much about rain gear, but probably should.

16-Apr-16
I don't need someone to advise me how to dress to ambush a Mid-Atlantic whitetail at 110' of elevation. However, I recognize that my love of bowhunting creates a bucket list spanning many disparate environmental variables. I love clothing threads. You people are an extension of my market discernment, buying power and comfort in the field.

16-Apr-16
Thanks Elkman, that's what I was looking for.

16-Apr-16
I love my Kuiu for elk,mulies, turkey and early to mid season whitetails..late season I layer a lot...but still use my merino..

19-Apr-16
Merino socks and shirt. Many brands to choose from. Icebreaker was a bargain for me. Order larger size than you normally wear. I wear polyester / spandex underwear and pants. I prefer wind resistant pants. Nylon is as bad as cotton, it soaks up water just as bad and takes a while to dry out and gets heavy and stretches. If you are putting in some miles in wet grass or brush and your pants legs get wet they stretch and flop around if nylon and make a lot of noise. Of course cotton is bad too. Either will take half day or more to dry out and is utterly miserable and cold. I came across some Russel APXg2 outer gear and mid layers at half price and has worked great for the last 3 years. I also have some under armor. Clothing is very important and makes a big difference. Don't let a few of these self righteous folks ruin your thread. If you have some cash and want to spend it don't be swayed by their limitations.

BTB, you shouldn't believe that he is only focused on clothing and not on physical or mental aspect of hunting. How do you know? And you are right, you probably should keep quiet, you offered nothing to this thread what so ever. He wasn't looking for bow hunting advice, which you offered none by the way, so no apology necessary. If you are offended by reading my post then stop, take a breath and remember, everything is not about you.

Many folks are less important than they think they are.

19-Apr-16
Been very happy with Kuiu

19-Apr-16
My advise to anyone with limited funds, which hold resentment toward those that don't, is to stay away from threads that inquire about gear and clothing. No one in the market for camo clothing cares what success you have while wearing cheap clothes. No argument you can make will convince someone that spending some cash on better stuff is going to hurt their hunt.

If you have the funds but just have a problem in general with those that like the available clothing suppliers or products then you simply have identity issues you are dealing with.

19-Apr-16
I just bought SEVERAL sets of layers from Sitka. From merino wool base to 90% jacket and timberline pants.Cloudburst rain gear. I also bought some first lite merino wool base layer. First lite is cheaper. Quality looks to be the same. I'm retiring old BULKY Cabelas whitetail bibs, parka and rain gear that is far from water proof. I work hard to be able to afford cool stuff . I'm very lucky. The harder you work, the luckier you get. I will look like a walking talking Sitka catalog on my solo backpack hunt this September in Wyoming. I hope no one holds it against me for being warm, dry and as comfortable as possible. Scott

20-Apr-16
Unfortunately Scott, when Blacktail Bob and Maverick940 see you coming down the trail, Blacktail will be both frustrated with you and also apologetic for Maverick's behavior of blowing snot bubbles while chuckling at your newbieness.

20-Apr-16
Why is it that if you disagree that these garments are worth the money that you are automatically resentful?

20-Apr-16
I think a lot of you are wrong about your assessment of certain individuals on this thread. Bob and others' general premise is correct, in that you don't HAVE to wear the high dollar clothes, or necessarily camo, to kill animals.

I will say this though, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way Bob, but you are the best-of-the-best if you didn't realize it. If not, you are right up there with them. I am not surprised at all that you can get it done without camo, and I applaud your respect for the money you earn. Some of us would prefer to have a little advantage with the use of camo though. If it does its job (breaking up your outline against your background) there are plenty of instances where I certainly feel like it has helped me beat the eyes of my quarry, while being stationary. Maybe it is cheating, but I promise I'm not too far ahead. ;^)

20-Apr-16
I hunt nude

20-Apr-16
Nude? Wow, that's hot. If you posted pics, would they be posted on the "Meat Pole"??????????......Giggle

20-Apr-16

greg simon's embedded Photo
greg simon's embedded Photo
Jgrossetete is this you?

20-Apr-16

I stand corrected.

I guess you must have Sitka and Kuiu gear for Bowhunting success.

20-Apr-16
I read a lot of threads here weekly about this "gear". I like EVERYONE on here believes you can do as you wish with your money.

There are a couple things I must point out though.

First off, Luck doesn't exist. If you have excess money because you earn more money, you were blessed with the ability/opportunity to do it. You didn't luck into it. Hard work doesn't produce luck. Hard work is the result of being blessed.

Secondly, one thing is common whether it is coolers, clothes, packs, etc..., is the some of the guys that choose to buy the top end "gear" seem to be interested in convincing you that it is needed. No one is jealous of you for owning it. Only some people see no need in it. If you have the right to comment about how great it is, how much difference it makes, how it is worth every penny, someone who doesn't agree has that right too. Without you getting your $20 underwear in a wad. Right? Right.

Like or love it, one thing is for certain. There are numerous threads about this "gear" every week.

God Bless men

21-Apr-16
Sometimes I just wonder why did this go this way?

21-Apr-16
The guy just asked for a simple list of the clothing items you count on the most in Elk hunting. How hard can that be? Another one I love is my Kuiu merino, in particular my merino neck gator, pretty much an every morning piece till I blow up that first big ridge.

21-Apr-16
I've pretty much stayed away from this thread as it derailed in a hurry. I'll take part of the blame as I should have worded the title different and should have been more specific in my original post. I wasn't looking for thoughts on how different camo patterns work or don't work, nor was I looking at thoughts about the effectiveness of cheap versus expensive clothes (whether that be camo or not). I was simply looking for pieces of clothing (with an emphasis on outer layers) that people have good things to say about. If I was more specific on a particular garment (KUIU guide jacket for example), I imagine this thread would have gone a whole different direction.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I really respect Blacktail Bob and would have to agree that camo isn't going to define whether or not your are successful at harvesting an animal. I do, however, feel that lightweight, water resistant, or form-fitting materials can have a significant advantage when hunting in the mountains. Whether those clothes are camo or not, I think most people would agree with this. Is it necessary, of course not, but it's hard to argue that those clothing articles aren't better than cotton, etc. I also have no problem with someone who doesn't want to spend the money on better garments and hunts in something they find at Walmart.

For what its worth, I currently have Icebreaker merino wool base layers (bottom and top), smartwool socks, Mountain Hardwear rain gear and backpack, a couple of sitka garments, rivers west vest, and a variety of other stuff that I have mostly retired. I don't care about a particular brand and I am always mis-matched on different patterns or brands (sometimes not even hunting in camo).

Hopefully this clears some things up.

21-Apr-16
A-men Marty! I think most of us knew what you meant in the first place. We just didn't need to tell you how much you suck because you wanted a little "gear" advice. :)

Like you I have a lot of mis-matched this and that that I have bought when it is on sale. That said, when I have 2 pairs of clothes for 2+ weeks on a remote hunt I want it to be damn good stuff that won't fail me. Does it make me a better hunter? Not unless it gets me out of the tent on a rainy, cold and windy day that I otherwise wouldn't have gone out in.

Like you and others, I very much respect Bob, but he was way off base on this one and missed the point. No one doubts the fact that you don't NEED camo or certain other things to be a successful hunter, but there are a lot of things in life we don't NEED but we get them anyway.

21-Apr-16
X10 Shiras

21-Apr-16
NEEDS: license...check. bow...check. arrows...check. knife....check. Everything else pretty much falls in the category of WANTS, although some wants certainly make for a safer, more comfortable, and more enjoyable hunt.

Everyone's wants are different . There's absolutely zero excuse for pissin' on someone else's parade because of those differences.

27-Apr-16
Technical hunting clothing is like a vehicle with air conditioning. Can you get by without it? Absolutely, but it sure makes the drive more enjoyable!!

A person wanting to get to a destination will do it with or without A/C, but once you've had it, you never go back!

And there's always gonna be people rolling their windows down telling you you don't need it!

27-Apr-16
First Lite merino hoody is the best piece of clothing I've ever owned.

27-Apr-16
APauls, its hard to make comparisons between different things. But I think you are way off in your comparison. The difference between Sitka and other cheaper but quality clothing is far smaller than the difference between a vehicle with and w/o AC. I look at it more like the difference between an Escalade and a loaded Suburban. One is quite a bit cheaper than the other, but they do basically the same thing.

27-Apr-16
Nice to know that when showing up after investing thousands of dollars, or tens of thousands, waiting years, and finally meeting the outfitter face to face we may be laughed at or give our outfitter "a chuckle over the way newbie guys who are clothed that way" dress.

I guess it makes sense that no client could be committed, competent, capable, prepared, and have a certain preference in his clothing options as well.

27-Apr-16
I've been laughed at for what I wear and it ain't because it's brand name or high quality. Faded yes. Outdated yes. Still gets the job done. Shot my first deer ever at 3 yards wearing tennis shoes, jeans and a blue shiny jacket with a red strip down the arm. Yikes. Over the last year I've updated my base layers and now the time has come for me to upgrade my outer layer jacket to a Chinook or Teton soft shell. Timely thread.

For those that wear a Kuiu, recommend Chinook or Teton for early - mid season elk.

27-Apr-16
I buy types of materials (warmth, breathability, rain, etc). And will pay good money to do it.

I use Camo, but to say that one pattern is better than another is like saying one antiperspirant is better than the others: mostly marketing!

IMO, the best Camo pattern is the one "on sale". Break up your outline and you are good to go.

Of course if you REALLY want to find out what I am wearing, you have to pay me $2.99/min.....

27-Apr-16
Bou X2

27-Apr-16
I hunted for a number of years with old jeans and t-shirts, until I decided that being comfortable is important to me. Why be cold wet or if you don't need to be? And camo patterns clearly have an advantage in breaking up your outline over solid colors. I personally like (first light) wool for my base layers, and anything that wicks moisture away from my body as an outer layer (Sitka right now). I wouldn't go to the gym wearing jeans, so why would I go into the woods with them, often I'm sweating just as much. Pay close attention to how loud the fabric is, and if burrs stick to it easily. Good boots and socks are a must. Best of luck finding some new gear.

27-Apr-16

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Let's see, you can climb Everest outfitted like Hillary and Norgay in 1953. . . .

27-Apr-16

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Or like Ed Viesturs in modern day. . .

27-Apr-16
Either way, you've stood in the same place, with an accomplishment to be proud of. . .

To the OP. . . I really like my Sitka 90% and Ascent pants. I wear them a LOT. They have stood up well, are comfortable, dry quickly, etc. etc. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned (and I've tried to get the Ascent pants in solid color recently, but they're out of stock)

I also really like my Sitka Kelvin Jacket. I've just had it about a year and a half, but it was definitely the missing ingredient on prior elk hunts. I loved in last year in WY. Warm, blocked wind relatively well, EXTREMELY packable and light weight, easy on/off, etc. I've considered buying one in solid for every day wear, but I live in the sticks, so I just wear the camo version everywhere

Just a couple things I like

27-Apr-16
Thanks Bake! I have the Ascent pants too and really like them.

28-Apr-16

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
So what if a guy wants KUIU undies. that way you are camo'ed even when the outer pants are down for some reason.

28-Apr-16
I recall when Sitka first hit the market big I bought some of it and so did my hunting partner. This was the old Mothwing pattern. We took it to Alaska on a 12 day diy moose hunt and basically lived in it. We hunted our guts out every day. Camped in a floorless tipi. Flogged through tussocks, muddy moose trails and sloughs. After 12 days of hunting our pilot picked us up and many hours later we were back at the hangar in Fairbanks. We were chatting with him and his wife. I recall they both said "You guys don't even look like you've been hunting. Most hunters come back dirty and stinking after 2 weeks in the same clothes". I recall thinking I wasn't up there to be a Sitka model, but damn....the clothing far surpassed anything else I had worn to that point. The most convincing part of this story for me was that our pilot and his wife (who are both extremely avid hunters) became believers in Sitka clothing and bought some of it. Interestingly, I think I see more KUIU and Sitka every year when I head north.

I've moved on from Sitka mostly and now generally go with KUIU stuff. I wear it hard and it comes out looking good. I spend no time wondering what anyone thinks, mainly because I'm not choosing clothing to satisfy anyone but me. Incidentally I fall into the camp of those who believe camo isn't a necessity for bowhunting but my experience has been that it's a big benefit in many close-range encounters. You can even kill big game while wearing the latest fashion camo:

photo 9cdcfca9-7700-4e09-a779-db5c5c057b55.jpg

28-Apr-16

Titan_Bow's embedded Photo
Titan_Bow's embedded Photo
Bake, or you can do Everest like Wim Hof :-)

28-Apr-16
seriously though, all arguments aside, when looking at hunting clothing, the materials and properties of those materials are whats important. Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, none of them are really breaking new ground here, they just figured out how to put camo on high end mountaineering clothing. Regardless of camo pattern, spend a week in the mountains in blue jeans, cotton long johns, etc. then come back and spend a week in merino wool, quality gore-tex or similar outershell, puffy, etc. The technical gear will be much more comfortable, hands down. If money is a concern, or you are just a cheapskate like myself, search backcountry.com, camofire.com, sierratradingpost.com for clearance deals. I will just keyword search "merino" for example, and find 100% merino base layer or something, for a fraction of the cost of the big name hunting companies. As far as camo goes, if it were that effective on North American ungulates, why are their natural predators (ie. wolves, bears, mountain lions) not tiger striped or leopard spotted? :-) Seriously, muted earth tone colors are probably best anyways, but like others have stated, its movement, and maybe to a lesser degree, silhouetting, that they key in on..

28-Apr-16
Any merino base layers are great. I've heard that First Lite is the most comfortable but I've bought Icebreaker and Kuiu because it's a lot less expensive. I'm a big fan of the Kuiu Tiburon pants for early Sept and the Attacks for cooler temps. I need my jacket to be as quiet as possible because I shoot a recurve so I chose a Sitka 90% jacket. It has a "waffled" surface that makes it dead-quiet.

28-Apr-16
Do you guys think if I wear Kuiu and/or Sitka gear camo, will I be able to kill more and better game with my bow?

28-Apr-16
Still missing the point. It's not about the camo...

28-Apr-16
Bob. . .

Nope. I don't think so. You're a killer. You've proven it time and again. You can kill in tuxedo, I'm sure

I think the more important questions are. . . Would you be more comfortable? More warm? Less sweaty/clammy/cold? etc.

Does that matter to you?

It matters to me. I'm not that tough. I hunt because I enjoy it, not because I want to test how well I can shiver for 4 hours.

In highschool and college I didn't have any tech clothing. Wore a LOT of cotton clothes. I'd wear 4 or 5 cotton sweatshirts to deer hunt in cold weather. Wear a bunch of socks, etc. I froze a lot. And I wasn't as effective because of it.

So now I spend more money, sure, but I'm more comfortable, way less cold, and that means I hunt better, and I ENJOY my hunt more.

I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like, so it's important to me that I enjoy the time afield that I get.

I'm willing to pay for that too. . .

Bake

28-Apr-16
And as a short follow up. . . I really could care less what someone chooses to wear to hunt.

The last couple of years have seen a real shift in my thinking. Sometimes life does that to you. . .

I frankly don't care what people wear while hunting, what weapon they hunt with, whether it's DIY or guided or whatever, or baited, or with dogs, mechanical or fixed, on a food plot with a crossbow and Rage, or any of the other bullcrap we all bicker about on here all the time.

If you're enjoying your hunt, then I'm happy for you.

28-Apr-16
BTB in your zeal to condescend you are refusing to see the point. IMO.

There was nothing about the OP that indicated he was an incompetent newbie. Even if he is/was, your dismissiveness was unnecessary.

Clothing is gear. Some of us have fun buying/trying out different types of gear on our hunts. It's all part of the fun and anticipation for many. Some like camo, some don't. Some of us realize we don't have to spend the money we do on our clothing and other gear - but we do it anyway. Why? Because we want to. And we can.

I have probably spent 20K in various items of clothing and packs over the past 15 years. Most on sale, but some at retail. Some camo, some not. My reasons for doing so are my own - someone else's thoughts about what I do are neither called for, necessary, or relevant.

At 52, I have pretty much settled in on what works for me, but my eyes are always open to trying new things. IMO the adoption of mountaineering type clothing to hunting has been a wonderful boon to hunters.

Will good clothing adapted to conditions make one a more skilled hunter? No. Can it make one a better hunter? Yes, because overall comfort allows one to concentrate on/use their skills to their greatest effect.

28-Apr-16
I agree. But, I think the inexpensive fleece I wear is better than the high dollar stuff. I’m certain its quieter and, my personal opinion here, I think quieter is way, way more important than Camo.

Last night Lisa and I were watching an outdoor program about moose hunting. A moose wasn’t killed over several trips, but the guy had really nice, I’m sure sponsor provided, gear on. He kept talking about how noisy conditions were when he stalked. The video showed him trying to sneak in on a nice bull when they were calling.

I kept asking Lisa, why in the world is he trying to sneak in if its so nosey, why doesn’t he just let the bull come to him? That’s always what I’ve done, but I’ve only killed a dozen or so calling them in and called in maybe a dozen or so more for other guys.

28-Apr-16
"Do you guys think if I wear Kuiu and/or Sitka gear camo, will I be able to kill more and better game with my bow?"

Duh, and maybe something other than those little deer.

28-Apr-16
I like fleece too. It's quiet, it's warm, and it's cheap.

I always have a fleece top on my hunts. But I don't always have it in my pack (it's also relatively heavy and bulky) - just depends on the weather, how far away I may be from camp, etc.

Many days I just have a lightweight puffy with me and stalk in my merino wool base layer. I realize it can be a slight risk not to have it, but it's a risk I sometimes take.

My clothing for backpack hunts has been whittled to:

Good boots/footpads Smartwool or Thorlo socks Merino wool base layer (I like Firstlite) Mountain pants (I like Kuiu Attack or KOM Bunlight wool) Fleece top (any will work fine) Puffy jacket (I like the new Kuiu water-resistant down) Packable rain gear matching expected conditions (HH/Arcteryx Beta for Alaska/Yukon hunts or Cabela's spacerain for Sept elk hunts) Lightweight gloves and beanie

That's about it in a nutshell for me.

28-Apr-16
"Duh, and maybe something other than those little deer."

I'll have to expand to different critters. How many different critters would it take to become relevant?

I've always thought fleece was the lightest thing to wear. That’s why I favor it over wool.

28-Apr-16
I'd like to see at least rabbits, snipes, woolyboogers, and a yeti. Surely you can pull off an arctic yeti in just your sweet blue raincoat.

I was wonderin, since you don't like the fancy clothes why do you shoot a fancy bow with training wheels? If KISS is the policy why not apply it to all?

Fleece + burrs = pure hell.

Honestly bob, I don't care what you wear nor anyone else for that matter. Boxers or briefs? Not by balls not my concern.

28-Apr-16
Got it.

Thats been my attitude. It does drive me crazy to see all the whoop la about this that and the other new garment and new Camo pattern. Like a bunch of women at Nordstrom

By the way, of the 120 or so record book animals, of over 20 different North American species I've taken, many have been with a recurve.

28-Apr-16
I think Bake encapsulates what most of us are trying to say.

Maybe we should all pitch in a couple bucks and buy Bob some Kuiu attack pants and let him wear them and see what he thinks ;)

28-Apr-16
Let me know where I can send the check! :)

Bob, you look like about a 32" or 34" waist?

28-Apr-16
For the record. My thoughts are:

1) I can afford to buy my own gear, but thanks for the kind wishes.

2) I've tried non-Camo Kuiu. Its good enough gear alright, better than I thought it would be. I don’t think its any better than the XPG rain gear I can get from Cabela's for half the price.

3) A compound bow is way more effective than a recurve or long bow. It is way more of a challenge to kill game with traditional gear relative to a using a compound bow

4) Wearing Camo makes absolutely no difference in a Bowhunter’s effectiveness or ability to kill game. In fact, if anything, if the individual really does believe Camo works and they try to get away with movement or stalking when they should sit still, Camo reduces the effectiveness of that particular bow hunter.

28-Apr-16
On second thought, I'd really like to try wearing the new Leica Ranging Binocular. Donations can be sent to the address on my website.

28-Apr-16
The most high tech new gear that I have is an under armour heat gear long sleeve t that I bought to turkey hunt in here in Ms when it gets hot. I have worn it every day of the 45 days season so far and I asked my wife to smell it the other day and she said it just smells like the woods a little. That fact alone impresses the heck out of me. I know 3 days in cotton and I about can't get in the truck with myself! I would like to have some of the new gear, but the prices do turn me off. I think some of it definitely out performs most clothing when it comes to pulling sweat away from the body. I have no clue why it doesn't get smelly like cotton???

28-Apr-16
"On second thought, I'd really like to try wearing the new Leica Ranging Binocular. Donations can be sent to the address on my website."

WHOA, hold on there bob. This is bowsite, not playgirl. At least wear socks too!

28-Apr-16
LMAO @ Bob! And I know you can afford your own gear, hence the " ;) "

Also happy to hear you say that traditional gear is tougher, as I have used both, and agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes I hear some trad guys say they think it has the overall advantage. I agree it has a (few) advantages but is overall more challenging. Your bowhunting resume is very impressive. Thank you for continually sharing your experiences with the rest of us.

When will big game seasons get rolling, or at least fishing season so I'm not spending time on a thread about clothes...

28-Apr-16
Very unlikely Playgirl would have any interest in the photo you reference. Possibly the AARP version, but that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

29-Apr-16
Whatever doesn't make me look fat. Not yoga pants that's for sure.

I love my Sitka and am still a huge fan of wool when the going gets tough.

If you want a really nice functional mid weight coat with vents and pit zips look at the Jetstream. Lots of fans of that piece of clothing including me. Probably my favorite.

30-Apr-16
As far as new camo patterns... pfft. That's a joke. Marketing. Red plaid isn't bad and olive drab will get it done if you don't move. If it was that important we'd all be wearing ghillie suits.

30-Apr-16
The actual "camo" is irrelevant. Just wear what ever is the most effective gear for the situation, that will prolong your time actually spent in the field...

30-Apr-16
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about prom night. Oh well too old now and the girl I took marries someone else. I wonder what Linda is doing today? Hmmm?

my best, Paul

30-Apr-16
Haha Paul.... you sound like you're having the off season blues daydreaming the time away. I bet Linda owns yoga pants now. Just sayin'

01-May-16
Yea, 1958 prom. Yoga pants? I doubt it. Paul

01-May-16
I like my Kuiu mainly because of comfort and quality.I was army surplus for 20yrs up until I tried a Kuiu merino shirt,after that I bought more of their clothes and it made being out in bad weather more enjoyable.

• Sitka Gear