Kurt 22-Apr-16
Beendare 22-Apr-16
Amoebus 22-Apr-16
Glunt@work 22-Apr-16
Well-Strung 23-Apr-16
Full Rut 23-Apr-16
trkytrack 24-Apr-16
14-Apr-16
Hi guys, I'm a new comer to elk hunting and was wondering how many of you seasoned guys carry bear spray while hunting elk in Colorado. If you do what brand do you use. Is it advisable to carry a side arm? I have a hunt in Colorado this fall and I'm trying to "get my duck in a row" if you know what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14-Apr-16
I just hunt with a guy who's slower than me.

14-Apr-16
Get a bear tag and you won't see any:)

14-Apr-16
I've never carried anything for bears.

14-Apr-16
I don't carry bear spray or a side arm. Only black bears in Colorado. Been hunting in Colorado several years and have had no issues with bears other than one getting into my food stash on one occasion in my base camp. That only happened while I was spike camping for several days in a remote area. If someone would have been in base camp I doubt I would have had any issues with the any bears.

14-Apr-16
Charlie beat me to it!

14-Apr-16
I carry a sidearm and spray when returning to a carcass for packing. Or when hunting in an area with a cow moose with a calf. Cow moose are way more of a threat than bears.

14-Apr-16
Never carry anything...no problems in 16 years.

I tie/hoist up my food when spike camping...and piss around my elk quarters when I hang them.

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Apr-16
Just started to carry after calling in a lion 4-5 years ago. I pack a pistol grip 12 gauge strapped to my frame pack. Of course when I called in wolves last fall I was too far from the pack for it to be any good to me. But leaving it behind may be worth the rush, lots of adrenaline, and I tend to be an adrenaline junkie.

oz

14-Apr-16

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Never had a problem with bears in Colorado. I have more bears in my backyard in Wisconsin and they don't concern me much.

I have called in some mountain lions over the years though and they made me nervous.

Some of the redneck trash at the trailheads has made me more nervous than any 4-legged critter. I sometimes pack my Glock .357 Sig.

14-Apr-16

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
BigOzzie,

Called in my second lion while Turkey hunting a couple weeks ago...the first was in Colorado and came in to about 15 feet...I took this last picture at 8 feet...(I still don't carry) :)

Like Mike said...I'd be more concerned about the two-legged problem...

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Apr-16
I carry bear spray, only time I ever unholstered it, was for a rutting bull moose that I could hear but not see at night and I couldn't alter my course. Never ever needed it for a bear, haven't actually even seen a bear while elk hunting and since I moved here 10years ago, I've probably put over 200 days in elk hunting.

14-Apr-16
Wow nice pictures. Yeah the vision burned in my mind is the lion crouched ready to leap, kneading the grass with it's front paws and swishing it tail. It was within 20 feet before I noticed it. I pack now because I hunt alone and my wife insists, sometimes it is on my pack sometimes it is in the truck, either case most likely not accessible when I need it.

It's all about the memory.

oz

14-Apr-16
http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread-print.cfm?threadid=438432&forum=5

See the link. I had a interesting situation with a bear two ago and now carry spray.

14-Apr-16
http://bowsite.com/mobile/forums/thread.cfm?threadid=438432&messages=48&forum=5

This link should work.

14-Apr-16
I carry a sidearm every time I go to the woods regardless if its season or not. You never know what you will come across and there is a good chance you wont have service to call for help. Every time I have jumped a bear they are out of there within seconds. There is a guy on here - I cant remember his name but he called a bear in elk hunting and had to shoot it with 4 or 5 arrows. I respect bears and know what they could do to a human but I think of them as big raccoons :)

14-Apr-16
Problem is you don't know you need it until you need it. "I have hunted XXX days and never needed it" is playing the odds, but things can happen.

My partner & I rarely, if ever carried.

Last fall I killed an elk and headed out to take care of some things at home, telling him that I'd come back to help him pack his out if he got one.

Next day he called a herd nearly to him, but they kept acting funny and skittish: backing off, then re-approaching him several times.

They finally left & he stood up. A lion sprang into the air 10-feet away from him, just as shocked to see him as he was to see it. I was the one with a lion tag in my pocket, of course.

The lion hissed and snarled at him while he hollered and threw rocks at it. He ultimately didn't think that it was wise to shoot it with his bow, not having a tag and thinking the lion could still be on him even with a vital shot. He backed off, still hollering and throwing things. Lion followed him for nearly 30-mintes within 20-yards before he finally got far enough into the flats & wide open while the lion stayed behind.

We'll be packing all the time now...

As mentioned earlier, it does no good to have whatever protection you carry buried in the bottom of your pack or not easily accessible.

Carl

14-Apr-16
Ask Ike what he thinks!??

14-Apr-16
Never have carried and probably never will just do not feel the need to. Actually the Bears are the ones that should be worried as I almost always have a tag in my pack and actively chase them. I know that I do not give them enough respect and have always told my wife to tell the DOW not to hunt it down and kill it if one ever gets me as I was probably trying to kill it but it won.

14-Apr-16
You probably won't need anything, but it's nice to have something if a bear decides to charge you or if you get attacked by a rabid tree hugger.

14-Apr-16
Have hunted CO for 10 years now. Every bear I have seen has been high tailing it in the opposite direction.

As stated, be more weary of 2 legged varmits and the occasional lion.

14-Apr-16
I would never suggest not carrying a sidearm. Odds of needing it are extremely slim but its an important right that can atrophy if not exercized.

Spray is fine but has some drawbacks. If you get charged by a cow moose and she's coming from the same direction as a 20MPH wind, spray could be tricky. When you are 60 yards from camp on your way in for the evening and a guy exits your tent and starts shooting at you...

Driving through town is more dangerous than hunting so most guys don't carry anything. The thing about a sidearm is you very, very rarely ever really need one. Most folks go their whole life never being in a situation where it is a need and not just a want. But, if that need arises, not much else makes a good substitute. If you are a little spooked about bears, lions, cow moose or meth head campers and having a sidearm makes it easier to stay with the elk until shooting light is gone when you are 2 miles from camp, I would bring one.

14-Apr-16
I carry one every day, no matter what, so why wouldn't I carry while hunting ? It might not be the same one, but I would be carrying.

14-Apr-16
Been stalked by 4 different bears 4 different years...that I knew about. Have them in camp every year wrecking stuff. I see lions and moose too. I carry both spray and sidearm up to 3 miles in, but just spray if going further in than that to drop weight. Having the sidearm in the tent is the thing that allows me to fall back asleep after something goes bump in the night outside the tent. An elk hunter needs his sleep!

14-Apr-16
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.....

14-Apr-16
Side arms are like condoms: Most guys never need one. But if the time comes when you really need one, you'll be glad you carted it around.

14-Apr-16
I have hunted in Wyoming griz country...kinda un-nerving.

14-Apr-16
Never had any issues with bears in Colorado, but always have a bear tag... Heck, you would think that in almost 30 years of hunting up here I would at least get one opportunity to shoot one - but NOOO!

Those griz are another story all together.

If it makes you feel better, carry a pistol. More likely to need it coming or going to the woods, though.

14-Apr-16
Wow, I must have a bear magnet in my pocket. In seven trips to Colorado, I've had six encounters with bears. The last was at 5' as I was calling in an elk. He was on other side of pine branches (5')as I was calling looking for dinner (me). I hit him twice with pepper spray(human) and that wasn't very effective but he left anyways. Time to purchase a bear tag. Most encounters was near same wallow.

14-Apr-16
Bears in Colorado lol. I could care less about skittish black bears but I was watched by a cougar one time 2 years ago while elk hunting.

15-Apr-16
I wish all my encounters were with skittish Colorado black bears. Unfortunately I've had two hair raising encounters, both involving a sow and cub at less then 10 feet.

The encounter that sticks with me most was when I was cow calling and heard timber breaking out in front on me and figured an elk was on it's way. When out of a patch of timber comes a sow and cub run full bore toward me and my buddy who was calling behind me. She stopped about 5 feet out an stood up looking over me for my buddy still making the elk sounds. Once she realized I was there she immediately treed her cub and turned and started popping her jaw at me. I yelled at her and luckily was able to back out. I look back now and think she could have just chewed me up and moved on.

Even a skittish sow black bear with a cub popping at less then 10 feet is no bueno in my book. I carry now and don't give a crap about the weight anymore.

I will probably never use it (hopefully) but at least I have it if I need it.

The last few years I have had more bear encounters that ever before. Most of then just run off, but some don't.

Like fisherick I too must be a bear magnet!

15-Apr-16
Big Oz it proves you are a good caller. Not a bad idea to pack the pistol grip 12 gauge for that unexpected griz in your area as well. How you been?

I like to pack my .357 noise maker when I'm out and about just because it feels good to wear a gun.

15-Apr-16
What Charlie said lol ..."just get a bear tag and you won't see any"

15-Apr-16
Generally not a problem in Colorado. Can't remember ever reading about a Colorado hunter being attacked by a bear, and we're talking hundreds of thousands of hunters each year. I've encountered them while hunting, even had one bluff charge me once. Still don't consider them much of a threat.

But if it makes you more comfortable, then go for it. As for spray -vs- sidearm? Has been debated on here a zillion times. Just do a search and enjoy the opinions. You'll read plenty...

15-Apr-16
I called in a bear a couple years ago while turkey calling/hunting. Other than that never had a bear problem in Colo. In Alaska bears are generally a newsense more than anything else. My biggest concern would be keeping a clean camp and food out of reach while I'm out hunting.

15-Apr-16
The bear Ed Wiseman killed in self defense, was a Grizzly Bear. The last confirmed Grizzly in Colo. Night & Day difference between a Griz & a Black Bear.

15-Apr-16
Hard to argue with that Condom example- grin

i've hunted Co for over 30 yrs and never needed a pistol once

15-Apr-16
Have a bear tag in your pocket and it's almost a guarantee not to see one

15-Apr-16
no need

16-Apr-16
What Charlie said, works every time!

16-Apr-16
The bears don't worry me much, but the stories about the cats really have me considering carrying my little .380. Not much power but at least it makes a loud pop!

16-Apr-16
People who think black bears are not a threat don't have a clue. Just because you have never had a problem doesn't mean it won't happen. All it takes is once.

16-Apr-16
There was a kid, Rick Voss, pulled out of a tent at the 2009 CBA jamboree by a black bear. Went viral on CNN.

A bear, very likely the same one, also destroyed a foam bed and part of a tent the previous weekend when they were setting up the targets.

16-Apr-16
Colorado has no Grizzlys you will be just fine

16-Apr-16
I will usually have a weapon in bear country, but wouldn't pack a gun if I had a bow.

16-Apr-16
In my experience, bears in Colorado act different than bears here. The half dozen I've seen out there, don't act as afraid as the bears here. They lope off instead of bull doze charge off. And, they spend time staring trying to figure out what you are, instead of just busting out. God Bless

17-Apr-16

Michael Schwister's embedded Photo
Michael Schwister's embedded Photo
Note the bear spray on my belt. The area we hunt is the relocation site for problem urban/suburban bears off the front range. We HAVE had problems with black bears there many times. I now carry a canister of bear spray on my catquiver belt, everywhere I go, to include in the truck on the drive out. This past fall we had a rampaging bull moose come through several times. Plus, I would almost rather be mauled than go through the legal process after killing something endangered, even is self defense. It should work on bears, lions, moose, and people, all without the legal problems.

17-Apr-16
We hunt a unit populated with problem urban black bears, plus the fact that the unit hardly ever gets hunted for bears. There are many 400+ lb bruisers roaming around.

We regularly call them in on the elk hunt, and they are looking for dinner, I tell you. It only takes one bear circling closer and closer and closer to change your mind about the intentions of the bear.

As a matter of fact, the bears have helped change my elk hunting strategy over the years. Those cow calls of mine get less and less use every year, and I'm careful not to sound like a young lost calf!

NOBODY in our hunting group goes out without sidearm in this unit (not unit9).

.44 mag for me, thank you very much.

17-Apr-16
Many here have heard this so I'll keep it short. I was in the not going to carry camp especially in colorado, I'm local.. I've hunted africa and griz country. Only the cats bothered me and I rarely see them I gave the bears no second thought wasnt even slightly concerned.

One year while trying to regroup a small herd I used a lost calf call near dark alone. The elk busted and I looked behind me to see a big bear hauling ass towards me. I turned shot him, then a few more times to finally turn him.. I picked up a bloody arrow and chased into the black timber after him.. My mistake.. Because he was waiting.. After reusing that arrow and the rest of my arrows while trying to keep a tree between him and I.. he laid down a few feet away. In all he had 13 broadhead holes, all but one arrow passed thru.

Maybe it was a bluff maybe he wanted calf..I don't know but a wounded bear is no joke. Wild animals are unpredictable and dangerous. Especially ones that are bigger than you. I left my 44 in the truck that night.. I now carry a .40 and have a nice full mount and more respect for how quickly things can go very wrong. Dozen years carrying a bear tag finally came in handy. Never happens until it does.

17-Apr-16

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo

17-Apr-16
I hunt a bear rich area....it's unusual if I'm hunting my home area and don't see a bear... been charged by sows with cubs twice and both times yelling curbed the charge at under 15 yds. Its definitely unnerving and you should prepare yourself to hunt comfortably and not worry about anything other than the animal youre chasing. If that means spray or sidearm go for it. Chances are you'll never use it though.

17-Apr-16
Well Strung that's a beast!

17-Apr-16

Nesser's embedded Photo
Nesser's embedded Photo
I had just called in a bull and couldn't get a shot so started to slip back out at dusk. As I rounded a small pine tree this bear was facing me at 8 yds...no lie I thought griz for a second because he had hump and unlike any bear I'd ever encountered he showed no reaction to having me in his face. Had a tag so I drew and placed the arrow at the base of his neck. He turned and exploded through a dead 5 inch aspen...lived about 5 seconds and piled up. Easy 400lb plus and just a shade under 20 ".

17-Apr-16
Should be noted I got the hell out and came back in the morning to find him.

19-Apr-16
"The bear Ed Wiseman killed in self defense, was a Grizzly Bear. The last confirmed Grizzly in Colo."

Though IIRC, he only needed to defend himself from that bear because he had already wounded it... I'm sure I recall reading something to that effect some years after the incident, but was not able to turn up anything on a quick search.

Thing is, though... Ever since they changed the law on hounds and baiting, the Big Predator populations seem to be taking off... So not surprising that encounters are on the rise. There's at least one bear in the home drainage that has developed a real fondness for human food and seems to ransack several camps every year. One time he got into a food pack during the day while the hunters had it down to make lunch. They said he seemed a little indignant about getting runnoft without scoring a bite to eat. Multiple handguns in that camp.

I keep wondering about the pepper-spray guns... Not rated for use on bears, but it's less of an aerosol and more of a liquid stream, so you don't have quite the concern around blow-back... It's also a lot lighter than a hog-leg, a lot handier than a spray can, and not terribly expensive. They even make a kit with a camo holster. Again, it's not expressly intended as a bear deterrent, but I think it'd be ill-advised to make it so attractive to outdoorsmen if they really think it wouldn't work. I'm sure there are all kinds of liability issues around using "bear-strength" spray on a person or even making it attractive for urban carry....

Probably better than nothing at all, except maybe in New Mexico... But most people down there seem to prefer Green, so maybe the Bears do, too...

20-Apr-16
GF

I recall that Ed Wiseman was charged with killing the bear illegally after an outcry from PETA types. He went through a long legal/court battle that ruined him financially and took a huge tool on him emotionally. The end result there was no real evidence that the bear was wounded before it attacked him. In the end he was found Not Guilty. Again, this his how I recall the incident. If you have anything that indicates he was found guilty of any wrongdoing please post it. I have tried to find some info on his court case and have not been able to do so.

A side note I had friends that did a bear hunt with him prior to this incident. They held him in high regard.

20-Apr-16
100% of attack victims significantly discount the relevance of statistical analysis while being chewed.

20-Apr-16
Randy, 87.6% of internet statistics are made up on the spot. I'd say your estimate is close, but slightly on the low side ;)

20-Apr-16
Black bears or Cougars, a magnum on my hip.

20-Apr-16
Black bears or Cougars, a magnum on my hip.

20-Apr-16
After myself and some of my hunting buddies having a few close calls in Colorado with bear I carry a sidearm. I also carry concealed every day anyway. so there isn't much new to carrying just have a bigger caliber. As Woodrow said in Lonesome Dove, "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

20-Apr-16
lol Cecil.

Here's another perspective: What's more effective fending off an apex predator attack, 2-3 lbs of sidearm or body fat?

21-Apr-16
I carry an LC9s now for EDC. I carry a M&P 40 hunting. While hunting back east it is a coyote sprayer and it will be my sidearm on backpack hunts.

21-Apr-16
Last year for the same question I looked up the stats. It was something like 62 people killed by bears in 100 years throughout North America. So, if you decide to carry, it is not for a statistically real threat of bears (much more likely threat from 2-legged critters).

And since you are much more likely to accidently shoot yourself or someone else with your sidearm (than shoot a charging bear), make sure you practice with it throughout the year - even take some classes.

I bet that there will be 39.7% more sidearms in the woods this fall because of The Revenant.

21-Apr-16

Amoebus's embedded Photo
Amoebus's embedded Photo
Owl's statement got me thinking (not a good thing)...

How much extra gear would you need to carry to prevent unwanted death in the woods from things more likely than a bear mauling? Granted, some things could protect from more than one danger (sidearm could also be used to ward off the ever present syphilitic prostitute, etc).

You would start out with an AED for sure. Camo football helmet for head trauma - eye shield for spitting cobras. EpiPen for anaphylactic shock. Body armor for sound-shooting idiots. Portable lightening rod (not sure how that is supposed to work).

You would look like this!

21-Apr-16

Tdiesel's embedded Photo
Tdiesel's embedded Photo
just saying if your the one it really doesn't matter what the majority says.

21-Apr-16
Amoebus,

Tell mnarcher or South Cox that they have nothing to worry about statistically with regard to bear or lion attacks. There is also another Bowsiter who was attacked by a grizzly last year. Yes they didn't die but the threat is real. Would you even have a chance to use a sidearm or even spray? In many instances NO. But, you definitely have no chance of using it if it is at the house. I say if it makes you more comfortable to pack heat or spray, have at 'er.

21-Apr-16
Amoebus, We should hunt together. I'll Dirty Harry all the bears and you can ground all the lightning. ;)

21-Apr-16
I prefer bear spray but will only carry it when I'm fetching meat or if the area is known for bear problems in CO.

I shot myself with bear spray once. It was strapped to my pack and some aspen brush somehow found the trigger and it got my left side. That was enough to convince me that bear spray will get the job done on a bear or lion.

Bowfreak - South Cox said that he knowingly put himself in a dangerous situation when he was attacked. Think he was photographing a sow with cubs and wanted to see how close he could get.

21-Apr-16
Nesser- what a stud bear!

I've lived my whole life in the mountains of Colorado. I'm not scared of lions or bears. I'm more scared of the 2 legged creatures that you might encounter. Black bears are harmless in my opinion. Majority haul ass when they see you.

21-Apr-16
Never hunted CO but OR, MT, ID... never carried. never worried about it.

But then I've been married 39 years......

21-Apr-16
If you were in Illinois, I'd say just stand in an end zone. Our Bears rarely, if ever, get in one.

21-Apr-16
If the options are a sidearm or spray, statistically speaking you should carry spray.

Bug spray.

Bee stings kill ~50 people annually while bears/lions combined kill less than 2.

21-Apr-16
Several folks zapped every year it seems, a lot in CO, I almost bought it in ID one year. Do they make lightning spray?

Or should you just pack a mother-in-law and hope for the best????

22-Apr-16
"If you were in Illinois, I'd say just stand in an end zone. Our Bears rarely, if ever, get in one."

Try having the Lions as your home team.

22-Apr-16
"Do they make lightning spray?"

No but there is rubberized paint. I see a Bowsite field test thread out of you this fall, TD.:)

As for your latter suggestion, I thought the point of this thread was to negate bodily injury from vicious creatures.

22-Apr-16
Point taken Mike. I guess "rarely" is better than "never"!

22-Apr-16
My team is the best team for a successful elk hunter.......Packers!!

22-Apr-16
Naw, I'd take a Bronco over a Packer!

22-Apr-16
Naw, I'd take a Bronco over a Packer!

22-Apr-16
SPRAY V PISTOL;

I know there is a huge push by the wildlife depts to recommend spray over a firearm...and I think its primarily to conserve the resource....maybe not so much what is best to save your life- its debatable. I've read every bear attack, every study....and yeah in perfect conditions the bear spray works.

I'm not convinced we always hunt in perfect conditions!

I don't think spray is the best choice in every case. In areas of high wind like Kodiak, I chose my .44 with hardcast bullets over spray. I can see an advantage to the spray in the lower 48 on Black bears...but a guy that can shoot a pistol loaded with hardcast bullets is going to be one heck of a tough snack for a bear.

22-Apr-16
Beendare - "I've read every bear attack, every study....and yeah in perfect conditions the bear spray works."

How many of those bear attacks that you read about were hunters going after firearm wounded bears?

I believe the thinking is twofold:

a) Most bear attacks are either bluff charges or surprise charges (sow swatting a person that surprised her and cubs). To throw out a cloud of repellant might disrupt that. b) It is very hard to hit the spine or brain of a charging bear with a 1/2" sphere of metal - even for someone that practices all the time.

22-Apr-16
Black bears are what they are. They are not harmless, but the odds of being harmed by one are very small. Just like the big guy walking by you on the street with a baseball bat over his shoulder, theres no reason to be on edge unless he's giving you a reason to be. Probably just headed to practice.

But, if the bear or the big guy decide to do you harm, the fact that the odds say it was extremely unlikely don't matter much. You may or may not come out of it ok, but either is very capable of causing a lot of harm. I had the misfortune of being involved in one of those situations with a bad guy that are extremely rare. Two innocent people died.

Its a personal choice and I never carry spray and rarely a sidearm while bowhunting in Colorado, but I would never fault someone who does. I generally have something in camp where two legged interactions are more likely. I don't worry about it or fear something happening just like I don't fear getting a flat tire. But when you do get a flat tire, not much else takes the place of a jack and a spare.

23-Apr-16
Amen to the lightning rods.. I'm far more concerned about the lightning. When the skies are flashing red around you and your on a bare ridge it is no fun.

23-Apr-16
"I don't worry about it or fear something happening just like I don't fear getting a flat tire. But when you do get a flat tire, not much else takes the place of a jack and a spare"

-Thats a great analogy, Youre SOL when not prepared. :) -I carry in the mountains and for two legged critters in Ohio but I was harrassed by two loose pit bulls . Didn't need to shoot them ,,,, I ran after them swinging a folding chair from my blind. LOL

24-Apr-16
There's something about the smell of the ink on a bear license that tends to fend off all black bears.

• Sitka Gear