Brotsky 15-Apr-16
ohiohunter 15-Apr-16
Hunter42 15-Apr-16
SoDakSooner 15-Apr-16
Ziek 15-Apr-16
David A. 15-Apr-16
Sage of the Sage2 16-Apr-16
15-Apr-16
Ever hunt elk out of a pop up ground blind? I never have but I'm thinking about trying it in a couple of spots I hunted the last couple years. One is a water hole they frequent in the early season, the other a little clearing they seem to stage up in as the sun starts to set.

Deer seem to notice a ground blind appearing that wasn't there the night before and, depending on how presured they are, tend to skirt it. How about elk? I would assume their reaction would be about the same, but, like I said, I haven't tried it.

15-Apr-16
Yes I have and hated it. I would rather just go fishing than elk hunt in a blind. Solitary confinement with a picture of the outdoors on the wall. Unfortunately they are almost a necessity for bowhunting turkeys around here but there are plenty of alternatives for elk.

I did see elk when in the blind and I still got busted by cows. The other times I had a cow tag and a bull came to water and I watched him wallow in the mud. That was my only highlight of blind hunting.

I think they are effective at waterholes. I think we had one set up too close to the water for a shot. Those cows get real hinky the closer they got to the water.

15-Apr-16
Sage, a friend of my dad's used my pop-up blind a few years ago to shoot a great bull over a water hole. He was "experienced" in the age department so his mobility didn't allow him to get out and run up and down the mountains anymore. We set it up for him and brushed it in. The elk did not pay much attention to it as long as you hunted it with the right wind. It did take him a week or so but eventually he shot a beautiful six point at about 20 yards. It's not for everyone but it can be effective. Personally I would be like Arra, I'd go crazy in there!

15-Apr-16
When its screaming hot and you're burnt out its a nice escape especially if its shaded and you can get comfortable in the blind. I know its not for everyone but its a nice option to have.

The last bull I killed out of the blind I had a tail wind, I also open as few windows as possible.

One year my friends pulled off a double out of the same blind. They shot at the same time, unadvised but they had fun and pulled if off successfully.

15-Apr-16
they work great. I have shot 2 nice bulls out of my doublebull Blind. They are not scared of blinds were I hunt in MT

15-Apr-16
My dad sat a water hole in the black hills in one several years ago. Had elk all over him, within a few feet of the blind, but not one he wanted to shoot. No brush, no additional cover at all. Didn't seem to bother them.

Brother shot one out of a tree stand in the same area over a water hole as well. Much rather do that over a blind and with the right setup, can even be lighter and easier to carry in.

I have one, don't even take it. If I want to sit a water hole/wallow, I just cut some limbs and make one.

I do bring a treestand and climbing sticks just in case, but they have never made it out of the vehicle.

15-Apr-16
I haven't hunted out of one, but when elk come buy when I'm turkey hunting they definitely shy away from it. It would probably work if well brushed in.

15-Apr-16
They work great and can offer excellent scent control if you minimize the windows that are open. I try to back my blinds into a bush or scrub tree and then brush in a bit more. Prefer not to put them up close to water, but rather on trails going into water, sometimes quite some distance back. Elk can be very nervous and wary for any scent or sound if you set up close to water.

Fence crossing and funnels are other possibilities. I always try to have the blind in the shade - very important for hot days and afternoon sits.

16-Apr-16
Helping w/ scent control is one thing I was thinking about for the clearing I spoke of. It's down in a little hollow between with a gully to the north, a roundtop on the west, thick timber to the south, and a long grassy slope going up to the east. Bedding areas nearby and the elk tend to gather there in the evening before moving up the slope to graze in the open. Because of the geographical features, you can't anticipate what the wind will be doing in that hollow. It swirls and eddys - one of the reasons I thought my doghouse blind might help.

• Sitka Gear